Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
So I'm trying to make my first ever video LP, which is also my first ever attempt at editing video period. I think I've gotten through most of the steps of the flowchart from the OP successfully and am now trying to do the Final Encode step. What I've got is an avi file type video which looks decent and has both my commentary and the game audible.

I was trying to use Zarx264gui to convert to... x264 and Nero AAC and MKV and all that other stuff I don't really understand yet.

But the output video that Zarx264gui produces for me has no sound! Googling this didn't turn anything up and Zarx264gui doesn't seem to have many options that relate to audio that I could try switching around (not to mention every new try takes about 50 minutes to produce), so I'm currently stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
While trying to use Zarx264gui lately to convert from AVI to MKV, I've noticed that the FPS it processes starts off at a manageable 25 or so but then steadily drops until it hits nearly 0. I tested higher preset speeds and what happened was that the FPS started off much higher, but then still dropped down to 0.

This didn't happen with my previous six videos, and I don't know exactly what's causing the problem. My workflow for this one was quite different because a bunch of crashes and other problems forced me to devise a new approach. The new one may be a stupid and terrible way to do things; I don't know since I have so little experience editing videos.

1) I used Shadowplay to record the video (and game sound) and at the same time used Audacity to get my commentary.

2) Shadowplay produces MP4 videos which VirtualDub can't normally use, so I had an Avisynth script to let me open it with VirtualDub

3) I used Virtualdub to export the sound from the video

4) I put that sound into Audacity along with the recording of my commentary and used Audacity to edit them both

5) I used Virtualdub to pair the now-finished audio with the video, and then save it as AVI

6) Now I'm trying to use Zarx264gui to convert that AVI to MKV.

7) When that eventually finishes, I'll finally upload it.

Is there a red flag in that process that would explain why Zarx264gui now becomes so slow? And is there anything else foolishly wrong with it?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Nidoking posted:

I don't know why Zarx264gui is having problems, unless you're just running out of memory or had drive space, but I don't see why you're making an AVI when you can just pull the video and audio into Avisynth and encode directly to MKV in MeGUI.

Would that be better? I'm very new at this and I don't really understand the advantages and disadvantages of these programs yet.

I am still particularly confused by Avisynth, so I'm not sure what script I would write to "pull the video and audio into Avisynth and encode directly to MKV in MeGUI"

In a somewhat different problem, I finally finished the video but then realized the audio gets out of sync about 3 minutes in. Hours of testing later, I've figured out that it's saving as AVI in VirtualDub that causes the problem for whatever reason. I've been trying different settings to stop the problem, but none seems to be working.

Melth fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 18, 2017

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I have two rather different questions:

Firstly, I'm about to get a new laptop and I'd like some advice about the relative importance of things like an SSD, the amount of ram, and different video cards for making LPs.

Second, does anyone have any advice about the best way to record iphone games?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

lohli posted:

Video card depends mostly on what you want to be able to play and at what resolutions/settings.

Thanks, could you give me an idea of which things, say, a Geforce 940 can handle vs the 1050s?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

nielsm posted:

Agree. I will downgrade GPU, RAM and CPU, even compromise on display panel, before downgrading from SSD to spinning rust.

This reminds me of another question that isn't really about performance per se. About a year ago I had a major hard drive crash the very day I was going to backup my files. I almost lost a lot of important stuff, but fortunately a recovery service was able to retrieve most of it. When I made my choice of replacement hard drive, I was told that one of the tradeoffs of an SSD was that if it DID fail, there was no way to recover anything from it. Is that accurate?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

nielsm posted:

On the other hand, an SSD is much more difficult to damage by physical shock or magnetic effects. The one other thing about data safety on them you need to be aware, is that stored data will need to be refreshed once in a while, cells laying dormant will fade over time, so any SSD needs to be powered on regularly to stay usable.

I think this is the kind of thing I'm going to need to ask more about in the future since I've never had an SSD before but definitely intend to have one this time. At this point I've figured out everything I need to make my decision other than how important it is to have something more advanced than the GTX 940.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Given that I don't have a mac, what would be the best way to record an iphone game?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Is it possible to un-archive a forum thread? I'm resuming progress on this LP (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803100&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) after a hiatus, but I can't add new posts because it's locked for archiving. If that's that not possible, is the best approach to make a new thread or what?

Thanks!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I've been trying to start a video LP of a maximum ranking run of Advance Wars 2 (I noticed that there wasn't one, and in fact I didn't see a run that covered the normal campaign!)

I've been running into some technical problems though.

Now for my previous video LPs, I've been able to use NVIDIA shadowplay/geforce experience to easily capture and separate video, game audio, and my audio. It doesn't recognize Visual Boy Advance as a game, however, and various troubleshooting steps like pointing it directly to the folders involved didn't help.

I next tried using Visual Boy Advance's built in recording features, while also recording in Audacity at the same time. I haven't found a perfect way to sync up the game audio and Audacity audio like that, but it seemed viable at least.

However, with Visual Boy Advance I discovered that there are odd graphical glitches in Advance Wars 2 (like a random diagonal splotch on the main menu). This doesn't affect the gameplay at all, but it doesn't look great.

Visual Boy Advance -M was my next stop. It plays the game with only very mild graphical problems (sometimes dialogue boxes seem to flicker, barely noticeable). However, all the avi files it outputs either are corrupt or become corrupt shortly after the first viewing.

I'm hopeful that someone out there has either a solution to one of these problems, or an even better approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah pretty much. For GBA I would recommend mGBA these days.

To avoid desyncs between the game recording and your voice recording you should use an external recording software like OBS or whatever. An emulator's built-in recording feature will render out at the 'real' game speed, ignoring things like emulator slowdown or turboing, which is not ideal for real time commentary.

I'm not familiar with OBS- can it capture both the game audio and my microphone audio as separate tracks?