Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Can it be done by reconciliation or does it need 10 Republicans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Can it be done by reconciliation or does it need 10 Republicans?

No and no.

But also it doesn't matter because the legislation couldn't even pass the House. Too many members of congress are in the pocket of real estate interests

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Barreft posted:

Hello is anyone alive here?

https://twitter.com/Sifill_LDF/status/1431079616811356164

This is really, REALLY bad. Why isn't anyone here talking about it?

It has been talked about. It's just not an interesting topic because pretty much everyone agrees that landlords are bastards. The vast majority of landlords don't trust their tenants in the slightest so when someone needs federal aid to pay rent they see the tenant as untrustworthy and want to evict them regardless of getting their money or not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Small" landlords: "The rent moratorium is driving me out of house and home! I can't afford all my mortgages! Why doesn't anybody care about us!" :qq:

Also "small" landlords: "Sign a piece of paper so you can get federal relief to pay the back rent you owe me? Now hold on buster brown: you fell behind your rent once, how do I know you're not going to do it again? Unfortunately I have to do the moral and upstanding thing and evict you while forgoing the debt you owe me, for your own good as well as mine."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
SCOTUS siding with the landed gentry my word! :monocle:

And by landed gentry I mean the REAL landed gentry: the corporations that own a shitload of rentals

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

No and no.

But also it doesn't matter because the legislation couldn't even pass the House. Too many members of congress are in the pocket of real estate interests

I think there's a contradiction here; if it passed the House, doesn't that mean it also needs to pass the Senate?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think there's a contradiction here; if it passed the House, doesn't that mean it also needs to pass the Senate?

I think you may have misread something there. They are saying that it wouldn't be able to pass either the house or the senate so talking about the senate is kind of pointless.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This may be an unpopular opinion, but if there's an idea that can't be supported by a majority in either body of representatives of the people, why should the executive get to unilaterally implement it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

saintonan posted:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but if there's an idea that can't be supported by a majority in either body of representatives of the people, why should the executive get to unilaterally implement it?

because the constitution gives the executive that kind of power with the understanding that the president and VP are elected by a majority of the people as a check to the legislature, whose role as 'representatives of the people' has a gigantic asterisk called gerrymandering.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

saintonan posted:

Because the legislature is gerrymandered to hell, which allows a party which hasn't had even a plurality (let alone a majority) of voters on its side for literally years enact minority rule when they "win" the elections, and block any and all effort from the ruling party when they lose.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mikl posted:

Because the legislature is gerrymandered to hell, which allows a party which hasn't had even a plurality (let alone a majority) of voters on its side for literally years enact minority rule when they "win" the elections, and block any and all effort from the ruling party when they lose.

If they're ruling from the minority it means the other side wants them to because the constitution was purposely designed not to allow congressional minorities to block anything except in a few narrow circumstances

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

If they're ruling from the minority it means the other side wants them to because the constitution was purposely designed not to allow congressional minorities to block anything except in a few narrow circumstances

https://youtu.be/OgVKvqTItto

I too was shocked to find out the house is not the only chamber of the legislature

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

saintonan posted:

Congress lawfully delegated authority for emergency public health orders to the executive. The Supreme Court’s opinion to the contrary is wrong and bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

https://youtu.be/OgVKvqTItto

I too was shocked to find out the house is not the only chamber of the legislature

Oh word? Who has the senate majority

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

VitalSigns posted:

It's as if a system designed centuries ago in a very different political environment doesn't work entirely as intended and actors with less than charitable motivations have had a drat long time to figure out how to exploit its shortcomings.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Oh word? Who has the senate majority

*presses buzzer* what is filibuster.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mikl posted:

*presses buzzer* what is filibuster.

How did Trump get three judges confirmed to make this ruling if the filibuster stops the senate from doing anything

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

It's as if a system designed centuries ago in a very different political environment doesn't work entirely as intended and actors with less than charitable motivations have had a drat long time to figure out how to exploit its shortcomings.

Yes, yes! We need to rip up the constitution!!! Finally someone agrees with me

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

How did Trump get three judges confirmed to make this ruling if the filibuster stops the senate from doing anything

Because the GOP removed the filibuster on Supreme Court judicial nominations. Which the Democrats won't do for other stuff because 1. they have senators which are Democrats in name, but are voting against the democrat party line, and 2. they are dumb.

tl; dr:

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAbab8aP4_A

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mikl posted:

Because the GOP removed the filibuster on Supreme Court judicial nominations. Which the Democrats won't do for other stuff because 1. they have senators which are Democrats in name, but are voting against the democrat party line, and 2. they are dumb.

Right that's what I said in the first place

VitalSigns posted:

But also the senate isn't the real reason because the eviction moratorium failed to pass in the house as well, too many congresspersons are in the pocket of the real estate business or are landlords themselves

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

granted you could push that particular argumentative envelope a micron further and say the public broadly approves of the arrangement because nobody's started murdering politicians - after all what are individual consequences when the greater good's at stake?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

granted you could push that particular argumentative envelope a micron further and say the public broadly approves of the arrangement because nobody's started murdering politicians - after all what are individual consequences when the greater good's at stake?

I guess admitting that the house can't pass an eviction moratorium because some individual members would lose money is an argument (and a factually correct one) but I think it's understandable that some people are going to be somewhat pissed at them for caring about their individual real estate portfolios more than the well-being of the people they're supposedly there to represent

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If this is the defense of congress for not following the court's suggestion to make the moratorium a law, then why is anyone mad at the court.

The court didn't want to uphold the moratorium therefore, by :decorum: logic it's nobody's fault that this happened and it's just plain gauche to demand people do things they don't want to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Congress has always had the power to overrule SCOTUS decisions. They have done so in the past.

The congress of the past decade (and really since earmarks were removed) is nonfunctional and cannot pass legislation.

The Court saying "congress can fix this" is said with a wink and a nudge because everyone knows that the current congress cannot actually fix anything.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yes but, checks and balances. You know.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

If this is the defense of congress for not following the court's suggestion to make the moratorium a law, then why is anyone mad at the court.

The court didn't want to uphold the moratorium therefore, by :decorum: logic it's nobody's fault that this happened and it's just plain gauche to demand people do things they don't want to do.

Because the gridlock is by design and the court knows they can dump everything into the "but congress should do something about it" hole to make it go away. Congress is bad for being utterly paralyzed by wealth but knowingly handing off life-and-death decisions to a legislature they know full well is incapable of acting is deeply cynical and evil, as is trying to force the situation into a zero-sum framing for the sake of vitriol.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The legislature isn't incapable of acting, the majority party just doesn't want to.

They can act whenever they want just like the other party did when they wanted to put three new judges in the court.

If the court overturned the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act today on a technically and said congress has the power to reinstate it by tweaking the law it would pass by lunch

E: if we're defining "doesn't want to" as "incapable" now then this isn't the court's fault either, they're incapable of doing things a majority doesn't want to do so this decision is nobody's fault

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 27, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If renters don’t want to be evicted, why don’t they ask daddy to wire them some spending money?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

The legislature isn't incapable of acting, the majority party just doesn't want to.

They can act whenever they want just like the other party did when they wanted to put three new judges in the court.

If the court overturned the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act today on a technically and said congress has the power to reinstate it by tweaking the law it would pass by lunch

E: if we're defining "doesn't want to" as "incapable" now then this isn't the court's fault either, they're incapable of doing things a majority doesn't want to do so this decision is nobody's fault

and yet the supreme court chose to entrust the matter to them, the fact that the legislative branch refuses to act doesn't absolve the court's culpability - this isn't a "one must be good because the other bad" scenario, they're both trash how many times do you have to miss that fact before it sticks?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

No and no.

Congress did in fact pass legislation including an eviction moratorium last year. Twice, in fact! So it's clearly not completely impossible.

It's just that when those moratoriums expired, the executive decided to unilaterally claim the power to extend them or replace them with its own, rather than going back to the legislature.

And the courts have been giving pretty clear warnings about that for a while. The last time the eviction moratorium reached the Supreme Court, it only survived because even though five justices thought it was illegal, Kavanaugh figured that since its expiration date was coming up they might as well leave it in place until then. When the administration extended the moratorium again after that, they did so knowing full well that five Supreme Court justices thought the CDC lacked the authority to impose an eviction moratorium. I sure hope they already had a Plan B in mind when they did so.

Here's the actual Supreme Court opinion. https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/21a23_ap6c.pdf

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Again, the proper solution to the current SCOTUS is for Biden to ignore them as a comically corrupt and illegitimate branch of the government. Not just because they're legislating from the bench, but because the SCOTUS has a majority appointed by presidents the US people rejected but were stuck with due to an electoral system that is designed to be rigged in the favor of the wealthy and powerful minority.

He won't do it, because he, like Obama, is ultimately ok with the status quo of the government (as opposed to actively making poo poo worse like Republicans), but it has to happen at some point since rebalancing the courts is a non-starter and the longer we wait the worse it'll get as the GOP continues to drive the country towards its dream of theocratic fascism and a white ethnostate.

Barreft posted:

Hello is anyone alive here?

https://twitter.com/Sifill_LDF/status/1431079616811356164

This is really, REALLY bad. Why isn't anyone here talking about it?

Mao had the proper solution to dealing with landlords.

FAUXTON posted:

Not that the redhats didn't try on Jan 6th, they were just so stupid that they were baited and lead away from the Senate chambers like the lemmings they are. If they'd gotten into the chambers with senators still there we would've seen bloodshed and dead members of Congress because mob mentality it a hell of a thing.

VitalSigns posted:

Because the court is factually wrong that "congress must pass a law" for the moratorium since Congress has already given the executive the authority to take action in emergencies like this.

But, again, Biden should just put it back in place and declare it a matter of national security (which it is, because a sudden influx of millions of homeless is a huge loving problem on multiple levels) and order all agencies to ignore further court rulings on the matter. Force the loving issue you cowards.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Again, the proper solution to the current SCOTUS is for Biden to ignore them as a comically corrupt and illegitimate branch of the government. Not just because they're legislating from the bench, but because the SCOTUS has a majority appointed by presidents the US people rejected but were stuck with due to an electoral system that is designed to be rigged in the favor of the wealthy and powerful minority.

He won't do it, because he, like Obama, is ultimately ok with the status quo of the government (as opposed to actively making poo poo worse like Republicans), but it has to happen at some point since rebalancing the courts is a non-starter and the longer we wait the worse it'll get as the GOP continues to drive the country towards its dream of theocratic fascism and a white ethnostate.

The Roberts court is a real hosed up institution, but what's Biden supposed to do to "ignore them" here? You say that he should "order all agencies to ignore further court rulings on the matter" but that wouldn't actually do much to stop evictions.

Eviction orders are handed down by local courts, who answer to their state and the federal Supreme Court, not the executive branch. They're generally enforced by local police or sheriffs, who answer to city, county, or state governments, not the federal executive.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

The Roberts court is a real hosed up institution, but what's Biden supposed to do to "ignore them" here? You say that he should "order all agencies to ignore further court rulings on the matter" but that wouldn't actually do much to stop evictions.

Eviction orders are handed down by local courts, who answer to their state and the federal Supreme Court, not the executive branch. They're generally enforced by local police or sheriffs, who answer to city, county, or state governments, not the federal executive.

On top of that, it's unlikely that local police or local courts would side with the Biden administration over the Supreme Court, especially in red states where they've already been openly defying the eviction moratorium:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/08/26/evictions-are-increasing-judges-grow-tired-national-moratorium/

quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court overturned a federal eviction moratorium late Thursday, allowing evictions to resume all around the country. But in several states grappling with a new surge in coronavirus cases, the policy has been effectively dead for weeks.

In those counties, where judges have barely enforced the moratorium, undercut it or ignored it altogether because they were skeptical of its legal underpinnings or simply disagree, the Supreme Court’s decision probably will make little difference: The moratorium’s protections — meant to keep people in their homes amid surging cases of the coronavirus — had already been almost completely eroded.

In mid-March, the Texas Supreme Court refused to extend an order that gave judges the authority to enforce the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention moratorium, a decision that, according to Dana Karni, managing attorney for Lone Star Legal Aid’s Eviction Right to Counsel Project, has effectively voided the CDC mandate in most of the state. Tenants, she said, “are left grasping at straws.”

Judges in Franklin County, the most populous in Ohio, and in parts of eastern Tennessee for weeks have refused to honor the CDC’s latest eviction moratorium, citing a July ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit that said the agency lacked authority to ban residential evictions, according to court officials and legal aid lawyers. They have done so despite a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in June that left the CDC’s original moratorium in place.

The moratorium, first put in place in September 2020, was extended in full four times. The latest extension, announced this month, was partial, applying only to areas with substantial coronavirus transmission levels. On Thursday, the U.S. Supreme Court sided with a group of landlords who sought to block the pandemic-related protections for renters in a 6-to-3 decision.

In several cities, including Las Vegas, Richmond and Gainesville, Fla., eviction filings were already back to or above pre-pandemic levels before Thursday’s ruling, according to Princeton University’s Eviction Lab.

“We’re seeing more and more judges really show that they do not believe tenants, or county judges saying things like, ‘I don’t believe this moratorium is constitutional, so we’re not going to do this in my court,’” Anne Kat Alexander, a researcher and program coordinator with the Eviction Lab, said earlier this week.
“It’s similar to covid fatigue in general, where people are just tired of being in this situation.”

Eviction Lab researchers estimate the moratorium prevented 1.5 million evictions that otherwise would have occurred in a non-pandemic year. At the same time, because judges have leeway to interpret the CDC order, enforcement has varied nationwide and evictions continued even as the federal government sought to stop them.

There is no national data available for how many evictions have been executed during the pandemic. Most states do not keep statewide data. In the six states and 31 cities that the Eviction Lab tracks, researchers have found more than 480,000 cases filed since March 2020, and in nearly every jurisdiction the numbers have trended upward even after the moratorium began, that September.

Alexander says the problem of inconsistent enforcement was pervasive but especially concentrated in Southern states such as Mississippi. A 2019 law there allows judges to order same-day lockouts, meaning a renter can go from being housed to homeless in less than 24 hours.

In the Magnolia State, eviction cases are filling court dockets as more residents than ever have contracted covid-19, according to state data; just under 37 percent of the state has been fully vaccinated as of Aug. 23. As schools reopen and in-person classes begin, a Mississippi Today analysis found that in the first two weeks of school, the number of cases among children in the state jumped 830 percent compared with this time last year.

The latest CDC order covered only areas with substantial levels of coronavirus transmission, but it applied to every county in Mississippi.

In Biloxi, there is no landlord-tenant court. Instead, judges block off Wednesdays for housing disputes. The day after the new CDC order was announced, Judge Albert Fountain presided over 44 eviction cases — nearly four times the average in pre-pandemic days, he said. Roughly 80 percent were approved for court-ordered lockouts.

One by one, renters trudged to the front of the room at the sound of their names — a mother with three small children in tow, an older man in a work shirt, a woman and her adult son, a young couple who own their own business, a former television camera man who fell on hard times.

“Are you here for a nonpayment-of-rent issue or because you don’t want to renew the lease?” Fountain asked one landlord.

“The lease,” the landlord replied.

“Then that’s all I care about. I’m going to rule in favor of the plaintiff,” said Fountain, who has been a justice court judge in Harrison County for more than 25 years. “The law says once you do a lockout, if they stay on the property and they’re unwanted and uninvited, it’s a crime.”

Many renters didn’t show up for their hearing at all. Every single no-show was evicted.

LaQuinea Gibson, 26, burst into the courtroom more than 30 minutes after her case was called. The judge shook his head.

“Your case has been called a long time ago,” Fountain said.

“I didn't have a ride,” she rushed to explain, clutching a folder overflowing with paper documents to her chest.

“I'm sorry,” the judge said.

Gibson, who has three young children, burst into tears in the parking lot outside.

“I was a month late because I didn’t have anyone to watch my kids, so I had to pay for someone to come stay with them while I went to work,” she said. “Now what are we going to do?”

For renters and their advocates, the hope stoked by the reissued moratorium has collided with the reality that the protections it promised no longer mean what they once did.

The Harrison County Justice Court declined to provide data on the number of eviction filings it handles. Anecdotally, tenant lawyers said when the moratorium first went into effect, hardly any landlord-tenant cases were being heard. But after a few months, that started to change. Since the spring, most eviction cases were proceeding as normal unless tenants proactively asserted their rights under the moratorium, several Mississippi county clerks said.

Many renters are still waiting for a share of the $46 billion in rent relief approved by Congress this year, federal data show. As of Aug. 18, just 9.8 percent of the state’s $186 million in rental assistance funds had been distributed to tenants and their landlords. Just over 4,000 households have received help from the program known as RAMP, though nearly 44,000 applications have been started online.

“You hear a lot of people talk about this cliff that we’re headed for as far as evictions, but really, I think, it’s more of a rolling tide — and we’re already in the middle of it,” said John Jopling, director of housing law at the nonprofit Mississippi Center for Justice. “These tenants, they’re going to wind up in cars, they’re going to wind up on top of relatives, which is not what they need to be doing especially now in intergenerational households with all the variants of covid that are spreading out there. They’re going to wind up on top of elderly relatives because of that immediate removal.”

‘She needs to be out of there by Monday’
The morning of Aug. 4, Jennifer Cage, 33, stepped through the metal detector at the Harrison County Justice Court. As she walked, tugging the straps of a pink mask over her face, Cage replayed the conversation she had earlier that morning with her lawyer, Will Bedwell, one of the housing attorneys at the Mississippi Center for Justice.

Bedwell had told her that the new moratorium “almost completely” applies to her and that he felt good about their chances of getting her case pushed back. If the plan worked, he said, Cage and her three children wouldn’t be evicted before the moratorium was slated to end in early October.

Cage settled into a high-backed chair at the front of the courtroom, her feet dangling above the ground, as the wooden seats in the gallery filled.

Cage was behind on her rent for June, July and August. She was waiting on rent relief from the local homeless coalition tasked with doling out federal dollars to struggling renters. But her lease expired May 31, the lawyer for her landlord told Fountain, and the landlord just wanted her gone.

“Respectfully, your honor, we're not here on a [lease] nonrenewal. We're here on a nonpayment of rent, and I believe this argument today is merely an attempt to get around the CDC moratorium,” Bedwell said.

Cage raised her hand to speak. The judge ignored her.

Bedwell walked Cage’s signed declaration of hardship up to the bench. Under the CDC order, tenants must fill one out and present it to their landlord to get relief.

What the declaration didn’t show was that Cage had never missed a rent payment before she got covid-19 last year. It didn’t explain that when she was sick, she had to stay home for two weeks and lost her cleaning job. It didn’t say that Cage has asthma and sickle cell anemia and is immune-compromised, that she’s terrified of catching another coronavirus strain and that she has tried for weeks to make partial rent payments that, she said, her landlord refused.

Cage glanced around as Fountain conferred with the lawyers. Then, the judge made his ruling.

“She needs to be out of there by Monday,” he said.

‘They feel like the government owes them’
Fountain moved to the next case, then another. A couple who owed $835 in back rent stepped forward. They explained to the judge that they only just started working again after months of unemployment.

“You're stuck between a rock and a hard place,” the judge told the landlord. “You can't evict for nonpayment of rent right now.”

The landlord, who sought to lock out the couple when their lease expired, sighed. He would have to give a 30-day notice to evict them for not renewing their lease.

“You're telling me that I have to let them stay for 30 more days?” he asked.

The judge shrugged, then turned to the tenants.

“He's trying to be good to you, you understand?” Fountain said from the dais. “You ought to pay him some money.”

The couple nodded, eyes downcast.

Fountain has presided over housing disputes in Harrison County since 1995. He thought he had seen it all, he said, and then the pandemic began.

As weeks of hardship stretched into months and then into the second year, Fountain said, he hoped the end of the CDC’s original eviction moratorium would bring landlords some relief. Then the CDC announced its new partial order.

“It has me angry to the fact that they really turned this system around. We used to have a really good system here … today, compared to two years ago, it’s different like daylight and dark,” Fountain said. “[Tenants] would come in two years ago with a lot of respect for the landlord. Today, they feel like the government owes them.”

Fountain is a self-described conservative, a God-fearing man who says he listens to recordings of the first book of John every night as he drifts off to sleep. When he gets underage-drinking cases, he gives a writing assignment to each youthful offender: 1,000 words either on the effects of alcohol alone or 500 words on that and another 500 on the Book of Revelation.

Fountain was a police officer before he was elected to the bench in the mid-1990s. He never went to law school. But he said after working in law enforcement for nearly 40 years, he can tell when someone is lying.

Mostly, he said, he suspects it’s the tenants who are lying.

“I know some of them are valid complaints and have a valid situation, but a lot of them are not,” he said in an interview after court had adjourned for the day. “I had one come in here that owed $11,000 on residential rent. That’s at least a year’s rent, at least a year. Sat right here at this table and said that she felt the government owed her that. I said, let me say this to you, this landlord here has to pay bills also. A lot of [tenants] are taking advantage of this system.”

Harrison received $6.1 million from the federal government to aid its residents. As of early August, Treasury Department data shows, the Open Doors Homeless Coalition, which has been managing the county’s share, had distributed about $4.5 million — better than the state overall.

In court, Fountain chided tenants who had been sick or unemployed or otherwise exempt from eviction under the CDC moratorium for not doing more to make up the rent they owed.

One young woman with $3,300 in unpaid rent told the judge she could move out of the apartment she had been renting by the following week if that would satisfy her landlord.

“Could you be out by Monday?” the judge asked. “I’m going to give you a lockout for Monday. I’m not going to put it in writing because I can’t by law, you understand?”

The woman nodded, then gathered her things and pushed her way out the double doors.

In the lobby, stacks of eviction cheat sheets for landlords sat in trays outside the county clerk’s office — 30-day notices, affidavits, how-to guides.

No information about the moratorium or how to apply for rent relief was anywhere to be seen.

Another eviction notice
Some renters can’t wait for a judge’s ruling. Going to court can mean risking a job, missing out on a day’s worth of pay or needing to arrange child care. Rather than fight their landlord, they move out.

This was the calculation for Shea Mills, 38: After her landlord sent her another 30-day notice at the end of July, she decided to give up the small one-bedroom that had been her lifeline for more than year.

In the early days of the pandemic, she lost her restaurant job, and the bills kept coming. She applied for unemployment, worked odd jobs, drove a cab. But she couldn’t catch up on the months of rent she owed.

In July, her application for rental assistance was approved; Harrison County would pay the full amount. But the management company that oversees her apartment complex told her she owed additional late fees that added up to an extra month’s worth of rent, Mills said. That put her behind for August, and soon another eviction notice arrived.

“Just having to deal with all of that and then being served another eviction notice,” she said, sitting surrounded by boxes in her living room. “I just don’t even want to go through the anxiety of it all — again.”

Housing and public health experts warn that evictions are dangerous not just because families run the risk of winding up homeless but because moving in with relatives or friends can put vulnerable people — including children and the unvaccinated — at high risk of catching the coronavirus.

Mills, who was vaccinated in the spring, said two weeks after she moved out of Biloxi and in with her unvaccinated parents, she started to feel achy and fatigued. Worried, she took an at-home coronavirus test.

It came back positive.

Outside the courthouse, Cage paced as she began to process what the judge had ruled: She was going to be forced out of her home. She had four days to find somewhere else to go.

“I ain’t going to be homeless,” she said to Bedwell, her lawyer. “I ain’t going to do that.”

As Cage drove off, she fought back tears.

Back inside Fountain’s courtroom, the bailiff called the next case. More evictions were already underway.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

The level to which this Court is now exposing its blatant partisanship is comical. The comparison to when they would practically hand-hold the Trump Administration through its blatant law breaking so it could do the evil poo poo it wanted to now when they're ripping executive power apart for no reason but to increase suffering while a Democrat is president in the hopes that the President will be blamed could not be more stark.
I'm not sure how you can say the court wasn't hand-holding the Biden administration when Kavanaugh, stain upon the honour of the court, bringer of darkness, he of the stolen seat, etc, etc, wrote an opinion saying, "I agree this is illegal, but I say we let it play out anyway for continuity and to give the legislative branch time to create a lawful solution."

Platystemon posted:

Congress lawfully delegated authority for emergency public health orders to the executive. The Supreme Court’s opinion to the contrary is wrong and bad.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because the court is factually wrong that "congress must pass a law" for the moratorium since Congress has already given the executive the authority to take action in emergencies like this.
To whatever extent you believe the non-delegation doctrine is real, interpreting §361(a) of the Public Health Service Act to mean "The CDC can promulgate literally any rules it deems necessary to prevent the spread of disease and have them carry the full weight of federal law, YOLO" almost certainly falls afoul of it.

FAUXTON posted:

Congress is bad for being utterly paralyzed by wealth but knowingly handing off life-and-death decisions to a legislature they know full well is incapable of acting is deeply cynical and evil, as is trying to force the situation into a zero-sum framing for the sake of vitriol.
If you believe SCOTUS is a corrupt, captured institution utterly dedicated to a partisan Republican agenda, you shouldn't want them to step into the vacuum congress has created.

Courts should not be in the business of fixing the legislature's gently caress-ups, and saying that we should override rule of law in "life and death situations" is a deeply cynical position with no meaningful limits. It's like listening to ghouls from the W. Bush administration argue about how they should be allowed to torture people based on a scenario they saw on "24".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

and yet the supreme court chose to entrust the matter to them, the fact that the legislative branch refuses to act doesn't absolve the court's culpability - this isn't a "one must be good because the other bad" scenario, they're both trash how many times do you have to miss that fact before it sticks?

I have not missed that fact: that was my entire point.

The congressional majorities are not incapable or helpless to forces beyond their control, being manipulated by the cynical dastardly court. Congress is being just as cynical and manipulative as SCOTUS is here, refusing to use their power to extend the moratorium and shifting the blame elsewhere (the court is shifting it to congress, congress is shifting the blame for its refusal to act onto the states).

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you believe SCOTUS is a corrupt, captured institution utterly dedicated to a partisan Republican agenda, you shouldn't want them to step into the vacuum congress has created.

Courts should not be in the business of fixing the legislature's gently caress-ups, and saying that we should override rule of law in "life and death situations" is a deeply cynical position with no meaningful limits. It's like listening to ghouls from the W. Bush administration argue about how they should be allowed to torture people based on a scenario they saw on "24".
This is a strawman, nobody is saying the courts should override the rule of law.

The argument as I understand it is that existing law already granted this emergency authority to the executive, and the court is disregarding the rule of law by saying it doesn't. Maybe that's right or wrong, but it's not the argument you claim is being made.

And the Roberts court does this a lot. When they don't like a law, but their party can't win enough votes in democratic elections to repeal it, the court just tells congress they have to pass it over again once their allies are in a position to obstruct. Which is also bad for democracy and the rule of law. Repealing laws should happen after people who want to repeal it win elections, it should not happen because courts just say "no we don't like it you have to do it again and again until you finally can't do it anymore", that's like Victorian Era House of Lords poo poo.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congress has always had the power to overrule SCOTUS decisions. They have done so in the past.

The congress of the past decade (and really since earmarks were removed) is nonfunctional and cannot pass legislation.

The Court saying "congress can fix this" is said with a wink and a nudge because everyone knows that the current congress cannot actually fix anything.

Did they reinstate earmarks this year?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yes, yes! We need to rip up the constitution!!! Finally someone agrees with me

The constitution certainly needs to be replaced with something better, however, I'm very skeptical that if we had a constitutional tomorrow that what would be proposed and passed would be better, at least not without an intervening civil war.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dead Reckoning posted:

To whatever extent you believe the non-delegation doctrine is real, interpreting §361(a) of the Public Health Service Act to mean "The CDC can promulgate literally any rules it deems necessary to prevent the spread of disease and have them carry the full weight of federal law, YOLO" almost certainly falls afoul of it.

It’s an effective measure against the worst pandemic in over a century. If the CDC’s hands are tied in this, what’s the point of the institution? Making slick posters to hang up in break rooms and tweet at each other?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Courts should not be in the business of fixing the legislature's gently caress-ups

Exactly, which is why the courts shouldn’t decide “oh, well, Congress didn’t really mean to give him the authority to make and enforce such regulations as in his judgment are necessary to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of communicable diseases, so we’re just going to take that back for them. You’re welcome, Congress.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s bonkers that when the executive (R) repeatedly promises “I’m going to ban Muslims” and then much later justifies it (after several false starts) with “there’s secret national security reasons”, the court’s like “Yup. Seems legit to us.”

Then when executive (D) is goes “Hey you know this thing that’s killing more Americans in a day than terrorists did in a decade? Yeah, I have a few measures aimed to help with that”, suddenly the court enhances their scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It’s bonkers that when the executive (R) repeatedly promises “I’m going to ban Muslims” and then much later justifies it (after several false starts) with “there’s secret national security reasons”, the court’s like “Yup. Seems legit to us.”

Then when executive (D) is goes “Hey you know this thing that’s killing more Americans in a day than terrorists did in a decade? Yeah, I have a few measures aimed to help with that”, suddenly the court enhances their scrutiny.

Putting a robe and a fancy title on a facist makes them more facist not less.