Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome to an eight member Court

Edit: scotus 2022: in a 6-2 decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Let's see if Biden actually gets to seat someone.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Let's see if Biden actually gets to seat someone.

Can’t wait for Sinema to vote no for no reason at all.

Or for Manchin to vote no because of lack of bipartisan support for the nominee.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

morothar posted:

Or for Manchin to vote no because of lack of bipartisan support for the nominee.

The question isn't "will one of them do it" it's "which rear end in a top hat will be first to say no."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Saw elsewhere on this site rather than from any official source, so take it with a grain of salt, that he's planning to retire at the end of the court term which would be late summer, which if true means that the confirmation process would happen during the peak of midterm season.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

morothar posted:

oh my god can't wait for the takes

"nominating judges on a party line vote is Trumpian, they go low, we go high"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Maybe they'll compromise on a "moderate", in the spirit of bipartisanship to try and get some GOP votes.

Say hello to Justice Rudy Giuliani!

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Are you ready for the fun part?

Because here comes the fun part!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Congrats to Justice Kamala Harris

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wait a minute aw gently caress

What senate seats are up this time? Goddamnit we are gonna get hosed again

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Chaos option: he appoints kamala then can't get a replacement vp past congress

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

mdemone posted:

Wait a minute aw gently caress

What senate seats are up this time? Goddamnit we are gonna get hosed again

News says end of term, so he should be replaced before midterms unless Sinema/Manchin fucks it up

https://twitter.com/Ed_Demaria/status/1486382608116293634

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Well....we're screwed.

Capped
Jun 21, 2005
Is there any way that the appointment isn't Ketanji Brown Jackson? I guess if Manchin/Sinema refuse to vote for her?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Capped posted:

Is there any way that the appointment isn't Ketanji Brown Jackson? I guess if Manchin/Sinema refuse to vote for her?

The other name floated in this article is Leondra Kruger

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1486392267313225728

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

It needs to be someone who can be on the court for 30 years.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Crows Turn Off posted:

It needs to be someone who can be on the court for 30 years.

Jackson is 51 and Kruger is 45

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know why this fills me with dread. The die was cast long ago and we’re just careening through the first serious consequences that have been determined by those earlier events.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You'll have been screaming for him to retire since Jan 20th of last year. Don't complain now that you've got your wish.

Personally, I wish him a long and happy retirement.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

The other name floated in this article is Leondra Kruger

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1486392267313225728

Jackson clerked for Breyer, its almost certainly her

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ilkhan posted:

You'll have been screaming for him to retire since Jan 20th of last year. Don't complain now that you've got your wish.

I mean, yes, but also, yikes

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The die was cast when Turtlefuck denied Obama and got his conservative majority 5v4 for the next 20+ years.

Even if Biden can seat someone (unlikely) it will still be a 6v3 for 30+ years on anything that matters.

This kind of is why this thread is pretty doom and gloom as of the last year.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Speak for yourself, I've been screaming at him to retire since 1996

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Speak for yourself, I've been screaming at him to retire since 1996

quote:

Prior to 2006,[5] Breyers was known for producing ice cream with a small number of all-natural ingredients.

In recent years,[when?] as part of cost-cutting measures since their move from Green Bay, Wisconsin, to Unilever's U.S. headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey,[6] Unilever has reformulated many of its flavors with nontraditional, additive ingredients, significantly changing the taste and texture of their desserts as a result.[5] Following similar practices by several of their competitors, and to the consternation of many former customers,[5] Breyers' list of ingredients has expanded to include thickeners, low-cost sweeteners, food coloring and low-cost additives — including natural additives such as tara gum[7] and carob bean gum;[8] artificial additives such as maltodextrin and propylene glycol;[9] and common artificially separated and extracted ingredients such as corn syrup, whey, and others.[8][9] An ingredient list for Breyers Frozen Dairy Dessert may now include up to forty ingredients . . .

One result of these cost-cutting practices has been that many (but not all) of Breyers' products no longer contain enough milk and cream to meet labeling requirements for ice cream, and are now labeled "Frozen Dairy Dessert" in the United States[10] and "Frozen Dessert" in Canada.[11][12]

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

jeeves posted:

The die was cast when Turtlefuck denied Obama and got his conservative majority 5v4 for the next 20+ years.

Even if Biden can seat someone (unlikely) it will still be a 6v3 for 30+ years on anything that matters.

This kind of is why this thread is pretty doom and gloom as of the last year.
Thomas is 73 and Alito is 71; Scalia died in his late 70s so 30+ years might be a bit overstating it.

Howeverrrr, McConnell has absolutely politicized the Court, and it will likely become the norm for justices 75+ (or having a history of health issues) to retire once their party is in the White House to be replaced by a 40-year-old, so optimistically we might have a 4-5 split at some point.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, yes, but also, yikes

It’s Ilkhan.

Pants Donkey posted:

Thomas is 73 and Alito is 71; Scalia died in his late 70s so 30+ years might be a bit overstating it.

Howeverrrr, McConnell has absolutely politicized the Court, and it will likely become the norm for justices 75+ (or having a history of health issues) to retire once their party is in the White House to be replaced by a 40-year-old, so optimistically we might have a 4-5 split at some point.

Getting a remotely sane appointment ever again will require simultaneous control of the White House and senate. 4-5 requires that AND an unexpected conservative vacancy, extremely unlikely anytime in the near or medium future.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 26, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pants Donkey posted:

It's also become the norm to use procedural fuckery to prevent the other party from executing nominations. And when you combine that with the projected balance of the Senate for the next 30+ years, that 6-3 majority looks pretty stable

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Plus they have the best non-billionaire healthcare in the country until the actually country collapses.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I see Breyer's replacement making it through the senate 50+Harris, whether Manchin/Sinema/Murky/Romney helps or not.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don’t see why the stops have to come out for a Breyer replacement. 6-3 is still 6-3 and a nice quiet appointment takes the heat off of the conservatives while they continue Leo Leonard’s policy agenda.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there a writeup anywhere of the likely choices? I know somebody has done one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Proust Malone posted:

I don’t see why the stops have to come out for a Breyer replacement. 6-3 is still 6-3 and a nice quiet appointment takes the heat off of the conservatives while they continue Leo Leonard’s policy agenda.

Because 6-3 is not 7-2. Which could then become 8-1 and ultimately 9-0. If you think McConnell wouldn't pull the trigger himself to ensure a 9-0 conservative SCOTUS you haven't been paying attention.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Just a reminder that it’s absolute political malpractice to appoint someone over the age of 30 if you are Joe Biden.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SCOTUS 2022: Rejoice, No More SGB Health Scares

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because 6-3 is not 7-2. Which could then become 8-1 and ultimately 9-0. If you think McConnell wouldn't pull the trigger himself to ensure a 9-0 conservative SCOTUS you haven't been paying attention.

That is true of McConnell, but Collins and Romney and the like, let alone Manchin or Sinema, are not gonna stick their necks out to oppose a reasonable Biden pick when they've already solidly won the court.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I know this was semi-off topic, but thanks for posting it. Breyers was my favorite ice cream for years, but I went for about a decade-and-a-half without it, had some the other day and went WTF this tastes like Hood. This explains it.

On topic, what's the Vegas over-under on Biden getting a nominee seated?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Papercut posted:

That is true of McConnell, but Collins and Romney and the like, let alone Manchin or Sinema, are not gonna stick their necks out to oppose a reasonable Biden pick when they've already solidly won the court.

Especially if seating Breyer's replacement is the only move the Democrats plan to make. Knowing them, it probably will be because Democrats will think it's not "fair" to push any further.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Proust Malone posted:

It’s just another front in the endless culture war where reactionaries gain victory by owning the libs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Functionally 6-3 isn’t much different than 7-2 but I’m glad that Breyer finally gave into the cyber bullying campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Stickman posted:

It’s Ilkhan.
Can't be IlKhan until you conquer Terra and reform the Star League