Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Green Crayons posted:

Because I posted it at the very end of the last thread, I'll link it again.

Professor Volokh is using this week to write about the various legal issues implicated in the upcoming Hobby Lobby cases. Apart from knowing a whole bunch about the applicable area of law (First Amendment and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act statute), I find his writing to be clear, easy to read, and enlightening on a rather dense subject area.

If you're interested in reading upon what the Hobby Lobby cases are all about from a legal perspective, I highly recommend following this series. He already has three posts up and will continue to post throughout the week:

First Post: Introduction and Run Down of the Week's Analysis
Second Post: 1A. What Is the Religious Freedom Restoration Act?
Third Post: 1B. Why Have RFRA-Like Religious Exemption Regimes?

And, of course, thanks to Warszawa for these threads.

Awesome, thank you very much for these; Hobby is expected to go before the court by next summer, correct?

Also, the OP was missing an important image:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been reading over this set of posts by Eugene Volokh on the Hobby Lobby case and two things I've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong here:

1. The RFRA likely improves the case for Hobby Lobby (because, the argument goes, Congress could modify or exempt PPACA explicitly from RFRA exemptions and didn't and haven't and they haven't modified RFRA either).

2. In a more perfect world a single-payer system requiring employers to pay a tax into a government health system that provides these contraceptives would have a stronger case on the side of the government (because the uniformity of the tax system as a government interest is enough to override the burden on religious beliefs in the same way religious companies can't object to paying taxes because gays are in the military or pacifists can't object to taxes because they go towards creating weapons).

How they decide on the question of the least burdensome method I think will be interesting. Of interest to me but not really in this case is how the question of sincerely held beliefs applies to much larger, non-family owned corporations: does the corporation need to vote to secure that status? Is a majority of shareholders filing suit enough, and what about for a minority of shareholders? For example if a minority of shareholders for Wal-Mart want the company to be exempt from providing coverage for contraceptives they view as abortifacients, and they file suit to press that what would the result be?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 27, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Right. It's really easy to characterize this as merely an improvement over your own rabbit ears, or merely as a cynical workaround of obvious existing law. But whichever you pick it's surprisingly hard to write a rule that works.

Being as I haven't watched over-the-air television in maybe a decade this might seem like a dumb question, but is it legal to rent an antenna to receive OTA broadcasts currently? For example, could an apartment complex have a dozen antennas installed on it's rooftop made available for tenants to rent and then charge them $5 each month for the service?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Probably, but nobody's ever done it on a scale big enough to get a decision...until now.

Yeah. I can definitely see what you're saying while I'm reading through the oral arguments by the Respondent. I don't really envy the Justices on this one because it looks like a goddamn mess.

quote:

JUSTICE GINSBURG: Mr. Frederick, would you clarify? If every other transmitter does pay a royalty maybe it's under compulsory license and you are the only player so far that doesn't pay any royalties at any stage

MR. FREDERICK: Well, Justice Ginsburg, the person who sells an antenna to me at the local Radio Shack doesn't pay copyright royalties either. And a- and a company that provides a rental service for me to put an antenna in my home and install it, they don't pay copyright royalties either. And the question that it really boils down in this case is how significant should it be how long the cord is between the antenna and the DVR being --

JUSTICE BREYER: The answer is very significant. And the reason it's very significant is because what the local antenna person doesn't do but you apparently could do, even if you don't, is with the same kind of device pick up every television signal in the world and send it, almost, and send it into a person's computer. And that sounds so much like what a CATV system does or what a satellite system does that it looks as if somehow you are escaping a constraint that's imposed upon them. That's what disturbs everyone.

And then what disturbs me on the other side is I don't understand what the decision for you or against you when I write it is going to do to all kinds of other technologies. I've read the briefs fairly carefully, and I'm still uncertain that I understand it well enough. That isn't your problem, but it might turn out to be.

(Laughter.)

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 22, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, this is disappointing. :( Way to keep being terrible Supreme Court.

Restricting it only to contraceptives without any reason beyond "we say so" is maybe the most blatant horseshit excuse I've ever seen. I have a 3 year old nephew and his excuses are less transparent than this.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 30, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ginsburgs dissents are at least a consolation prize for this poo poo sandwich, emphasis in bold is mine:

quote:

Until this litigation, no decision of this Court recognized a for-profit corporation’s qualification for a religious exemption from a generally applicable law, whether under the Free Exercise Clause or RFRA.13 The absence of such precedent is just what one would expect, for the exercise of religion is characteristic of natural persons, not artificial legal entities. As Chief Justice Marshall observed nearly two centuries ago, a corporation is “an artificial being, invisible, intangible, and existing only in contemplation of law.” Trustees of Dartmouth College v. Woodward, 4 Wheat. 518, 636 (1819). Corporations, Justice Stevens more recently reminded, “have no consciences, no beliefs, no feelings, no thoughts, no desires.” Citizens United v. Federal Election Comm’n, 558 U. S. 310, 466 (2010) (opinion concurring in part and dissenting in part).

[...]

The reason why is hardly obscure. Religious organizations exist to foster the interests of persons subscribing to the same religious faith. Not so of for-profit corporations. Workers who sustain the operations of those corporations commonly are not drawn from one religious community. Indeed, by law, no religion-based criterion can restrict the work force of for-profit corporations. See 42 U. S. C. §§2000e(b), 2000e–1(a), 2000e–2(a); cf. Trans World Airlines, Inc. v. Hardison, 432 U. S. 63, 80–81 (1977) (Title VII requires reasonable accommodation of an employee’s religious exercise, but such accommodation must not come “at the expense of other[ employees]”). The distinction between a community made up of believers in the same religion and one embracing persons of diverse beliefs, clear as it is, constantly escapes the Court’s attention.17 One can only wonder why the Court shuts this key difference from sight.

:glomp:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gregor Samsa posted:

RBG seems to dispute that this is the case in her dissent.

There are a lot of good parts in there:

quote:

Why should decisions of this order be made by Congress or the regulatory authority, and not this Court? Hobby Lobby and Conestoga surely do not stand alone as commercial enterprises seeking exemptions from generally applicable laws on the basis of their religious beliefs. See, e.g., Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises, Inc., 256 F. Supp. 941, 945 (SC 1966) (owner of restaurant chain refused to serve black patrons based on his religious beliefs opposing racial integration), aff ’d in relevant part and rev’d in part on other grounds, 377 F. 2d 433 (CA4 1967), aff ’d and modified on other grounds, 390 U. S. 400 (1968); In re Minnesota ex rel. McClure, 370 N. W. 2d 844, 847 (Minn.1985) (born-again Christians who owned closely held, for profit health clubs believed that the Bible proscribed hiring or retaining an “individua[l] living with but not married to a person of the opposite sex,” “a young, single woman working without her father’s consent or a married woman working without her husband’s consent,” and any person “antagonistic to the Bible,” including “fornicatorsand homosexuals” (internal quotation marks omitted)), appeal dismissed, 478 U. S. 1015 (1986); Elane Photography, LLC v. Willock, 2013–NMSC–040, ___ N. M. ___, 309 P. 3d 53 (for-profit photography business owned by a husband and wife refused to photograph a lesbian couple’s commitment ceremony based on the religious beliefs of the company’s owners), cert. denied, 572 U. S. ___ (2014). Would RFRA require exemptions in cases of this ilk? And if not, how does the Court divine which religious beliefs are worthy of accommodation, and which are not? Isn’t the Court disarmed from making such a judgment given its recognition that “courts must not presume to determine . . . the plausibility of a religious claim”? Ante, at 37.

Would the exemption the Court holds RFRA demands for employers with religiously grounded objections to the use of certain contraceptives extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah’s Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations (Christian Scientists, among others)?31 According to counsel for Hobby Lobby, “each one of these cases . . . would have to be evaluated on its own . . . apply[ing] the compelling interest-least restrictive alternative test.” Tr. of Oral Arg. 6. Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today’s decision.

How should the lower courts look at other religious claims if the Supreme Court is extending religious liberties to for-profit businesses? :shrug: says Supreme Court.

e: More Ginsburg:

quote:

The Court’s determination that RFRA extends to for profit corporations is bound to have untoward effects. Although the Court attempts to cabin its language to closely held corporations, its logic extends to corporations of any size, public or private. Little doubt that RFRA claims will proliferate, for the Court’s expansive notion of corporate personhood—combined with its other errors in construing RFRA—invites for-profit entities to seek religion-based exemptions from regulations they deem offensive to their faith.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 30, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

None of those things have an accommodation already in place.

No, the accommodation in place exists for non-profit religious orgs, not for-profit companies. New accommodations would have to be made, so the question remains.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

There's still a religious accommodation, which cracks strict scrutiny significantly (Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficente Uniao do Vegetal). All Obama needs to do is extend a framework already in place.

Would you argue then that if there had been no existing accommodation in place that Hobby Lobby should've lost their case? If HHS authors an exemption for religious non-profit organizations to not cover vaccination or transfusions would the comparison then be more valid somehow? Because it sure looks like a meaningless distinction that would be instantly goalposted if it weren't currently in place to something else like "well Congress can just cover it like they cover people below the poverty line" or "well small businesses already are accommodated so they should accommodate larger businesses too" or "well now the accommodate closely held for-profits so why not other for-profits".

Not that goalpost shifting from this Court would be surprising in the least, given that they just demonstrated a willingness to provide utterly arbitrary distinctions for what is or isn't an acceptable religious objection to hold: only contraceptives (so far).

Magres posted:

So how big of a party are we throwing when Roberts and/or Scalia dies? Cause I'm gonna throw a bitchin' shindig and anyone who wants to come toast to their demise is welcome.

I'll probably just play this on repeat for a week as it pretty much applies to them too:

quote:

Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
Long enough to savor
That's when they finally put you in the ground
I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 30, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why? The Court makes no such distinction in it's decision; they even outright state that before offering the accommodation up as a third method to achieve their goal:

quote:

(2) The Government has failed to satisfy RFRA’s least-restrictive-means standard. HHS has not shown that it lacks other means of achieving its desired goal without imposing a substantial burden on the exercise of religion. The Government could, e.g., assume the cost of providing the four contraceptives to women unable to obtain coverage due to their employers’ religious objections. Or it could extend the accommodation that HHS has already established for religious nonprofit organizations to non-profit employers with religious objections to the contraceptive mandate. That accommodation does not impinge on the plaintiffs’ religious beliefs that providing insurance coverage for the contraceptives at issue here violates their religion and it still serves HHS’s stated interests.

e: And further the Court argues:

quote:

HHS contends that RFRA does not permit us to take this option into account because “RFRA cannot be used to require creation of entirely new programs.” Brief for HHS in 13–354, at 15.37 But we see nothing in RFRA that supports this argument, and drawing the line between the “creation of an entirely new program” and the modification of an existing program (which RFRA surely allows) would be fraught with problems.

Therefore the question Ginsburg raises about where this argument stops and the examples she gives are valid comparisons, existing accommodations or no.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 30, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

razorrozar posted:

Let me quote what he said:

"If they can't find another job they should live with it and be thankful they aren't starving."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRQjzltaMQ&t=105s

You might find more help with rebutting arguments in the Help D&D Debate & Discuss or the Crazy political forwards threads though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I asked this in the GBS thread but that got lovely quickly. Let's say the government decided to mandate certain companies should make the drugs for lethal injections. The owners of a pharmaceutical company objects and says that their religious beliefs prevent them from supporting the death penalty. Do they not have a right to object to the government's mandate?

Let's say the sky was purple and gravity repulsed things while we're making hypotheticals with tenuous connections to the case at hand. Boy that'd be a pickle.

Can we cut to the chase of what your point is going to be related to this case rather than walking through some elaborate logic example where we have 20 replies back and forth before we get to that point? If you think for-profit companies should or shouldn't be able to express the religious objections of their owners over the interests of the employees / the government just lay that out and explain why.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 1, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

The point of the hypothetical was that the government was forcing a corporation to pay for something which was against the religious beliefs of its owners. I was simply trying to put it in terms of something most people here would probably consider immoral.

To generalize, I think most people here understand the objection being raised by Hobby Lobby already but simply disagree with it. I myself don't find it acceptable (and further don't believe it should be legal) for the owners of a for-profit corporation to exercise their religious beliefs through said separate legal entity to not follow laws that serve a compelling government interest. Especially not when those objections have negative consequences on the health and well-being of employees who may or may not have the same beliefs. How do you stand on the issue?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 1, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

It was limited in that way because those were the facts of the case. Expanding it to more companies involves other issues that weren't argued. Other medical procedures didn't have the non-profit accommodation already in place.

I don't know why you keep bringing up the accommodation because, again, the Court opinion is that the government could just provide the benefit themselves (and thus this method is not the least-restrictive-means) and in fact they argue that even if no such accommodation existed they could've found that HHS should make a new program to handle it so as to not burden the owners. If no accommodation existed for non-profits it would not have changed the Court's opinion on the case in question so whether or not other medical practices also have accommodations is not a distinguishing factor or limited criteria.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

:allears:

Made me check the referenced Tumblr page and I saw this:

Which timed nicely with a Vox article. The portraits on dollar bills are decided by the Secretary of the Treasury so I think the only way to oppose a change would be to pass a law. C'mon Obama, give the Treasury Secretary the order.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Join us as we go now to a video in which RBG answers there will be enough women on the Supreme Court when there are nine of them. :allears:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

my dad's a kentucky colonel

I forget how that scam works

Please tell me your last name is Sanders. :allears:

Litany Unheard posted:

Public sector unions won't die overnight, of course. The old timers will mostly keep paying their dues. But as time goes on you'll get more and more people coming into those jobs saying "well the pay and benefits are already good, why would I pay dues??" and before you know it, there aren't enough dues-paying members to keep the organizations afloat.

And of course, any loss of funds significantly impacts local lobbying efforts. Unions spend a lot of money on local matters that come before state legislators and supervisory boards and the like. So yeah, public sector unions will still exist, they'll just lose what little clout they have left.

Agreed; it's hard to message the importance of a union to people already working 60 hours a week at a little above minimum wage. The union lacks the strength to get a better wage and the workers see the union as too weak so why bother paying or being involved, and a vicious cycle digs them into non-existence.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Condolences to his family for their loss. If I recall he and Ginsberg got along really well, so this probably hurts for her too. :(

Having said that,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4-zDem1Sk

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

DOOP posted:

Words no longer have meaning

More or less.

It is a nice distraction from discussing whether or not obstructing the President by outright refusing to even consider an appointment is a good or bad thing though, so I expect a lot of Republicans to try and divert the discussion into "well but what really IS a lame duck and those other times don't count because X was different."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the more interesting question is whether it'd be possible to change it so the Supreme Court is term limited; I have a hard time imagining it being important enough to ever see a constitutional amendment pass on it nowadays, but I'm pretty sympathetic to the argument that having a single 18 year term limit per Justice and having a new Justice be appointed every two years would be an improvement over the court justices retiring when they expect an ideologically similar replacement unless one of them dies, driving the impetus to appoint someone who can live to be 120. It also breaks the lottery of how many Justices a President gets to nominate; Nixon got to appoint four justices to the court, and Carter got to appoint none.