Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Warszawa posted:

Off-thread, but Clinton's rehabilitation into the iconic Democratic president is really at odds with his actual behavior in office. Oh well, looking forward to that hagiography getting trotted out in two years.

Clinton is like a counterpart to Reagan in this. Although not as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

tsa posted:

Solitary confinement is undeniably torture, so there's pretty much no good option for people who are too dangerous to be in a general prison population. Would you volunteer to be the cellmate of someone who was unremorseful after committing brutal rape and murder? Would you want to be anywhere near them? Some people are just loving monsters and there's nothing that can be done, sadly -- your choices are either going to be giving them death or a lifetime of torture.

And yet other countries manage this problem.

Are Americans just uniquely bad people?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well it makes sense that you'd want war criminals in all three branches of government.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Can always count on that American lust for death.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It isn't though, because most Democrats are vulnerable to losing their seats if they go through with it for frivolous ("Because we won, might makes right") reasons.

You can't campaign on "Republicans do things that are wrong" and then once elected do the same thing they did.

First of all, want to bet that you can?

Second, loving lol if you think stopping the Republicans' bullshit is a frivolous reason. How loving white and sheltered are you?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right, hence why as I said originally, people need to be smart about it, and focus on a reasoning that won't cause them to lose everything you work towards. The point is to be strategic about it and not act out of, what seems more like the principle of revenge than about good policy.

Politics is mass movement. Revenge is an excellent motivator. Whatever you are proposing isn't good policy, it's milquetoast do-nothing bullshit. A terrible motivator btw.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kazak_Hstan posted:

January 6 is 173 days away.

:ohdear:

Imagine having the fate of your country depend on the health of a single one of its citizens.

Raenir Salazar posted:

But there's no indication that there is mass movement in favor of stacking the supreme court, especially by 4 justices; much less any indication that people are all that upset about Garland. Things like, "We gotta gerrymander Republicans out of existence" has no constituency. Especially when saying the quiet part out loud is more about putting it to Republicans than about reversing their damage.

These are minutiae of government my dude, outside of politics nerds such as us nobody is going to be very excited by them most of the time. So when you have power what you do is you act to do the right thing and people will follow. Republicans do this poo poo all the drat time, and keep creating a new reality for you to live in while you wring your hands telling yourself that materially changing the world is impossible, actually.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 17, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I can't wait for RBG to die in November and watch McConnell and Trump fall over their dicks to confirm Justice Ben Shapiro by Christmas.

Why would they need to hurry?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Biden isn't going to win, so this whole discussion is moot. Trump is going to replace RBG.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Rigel posted:

The supreme court themselves, and they would not be wrong.

I think the most important thing to understand about interpretations of law is that there is no right or wrong. There's just what you can enforce. Nobody gives a poo poo about what the words on the actual document say, and everyone in 2020 should understand this by now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

This will almost certainly gently caress Texas and Florida as bad or worse than California

Entirely depends on who gets to decide on who is or is not a real person. Facts don’t matter, only power does. This is a power grab. Effectively this could give the courts the power to apportion EC votes etc

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

What's great about this argument is it simply asserts its conclusion:

It's pretty unclear how that final sentence is even connected to the earlier points being made.

It's unclear if you read it as a logical argument. It's very clear that it says "we claim the power to do this [because it is politically convenient for us]" with a fig leaf of "we already have some powers which are kinda sorta maybe similar if you squint really hard and also it doesn't explicitly say anywhere we don't have this power".

If the executive gets to decide who counts as an inhabitant just loving lol if you think this is going to mean a change of only three or so EC's in the long run.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Let me place my faith in the constraints of power placed on the imperial presidency, which has only seen its power increase with every passing year for decades now. This seems smart to me.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Pretend for a moment that we had ideologically neutral and objective arbiters of constitutional law on the Supreme Court, what approach would be most likely to stand up to constitutional scrutiny if you wanted to fight against fake news in the United States?

What even is objective my dude?

You're asking us to consider a round square here.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

They should've calculated the expected evaporation delta between storage in NM and storage in TX based on local climate and/or weather conditions and in the event that TX' evaporation would've been greater charged them extra imo. Just as a gently caress you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

So how can you not read that outcome as, 'violate away to your hearts content, stymie any investigations by claiming executive privilege, and then get off scot-free once your term has ended'?

How does this not only set a terrible precedent but also be pretty clearly against what the founding fathers intended here? What's even the point of having the clause if the President can just 'lol nah' his way out of it?

You have an imperial presidency. Its not illegal when the president does it. This is US civics 101

And nobody gives nor should give a single solitary gently caress about the founding fathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Thomas has a degree from a reputable law school, yes? Has he ever passed a bar exam?

Why is his understanding of evidence so poor?

Having a degree from a reputable school, or passing a bar exam, or indeed being a supreme court justice, is not in any way conclusive evidence that you are not a complete loving moron.