Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Are there killstreaks in this game? How do I quick scope? What maps are like metro?

Actually, my friend asked me that one the other day while he was in the middle of Locker. I became very sad inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Slams do not require a vehicle pass over them to detonate. They just have to be within a certain range to trip them. This means you can line low passes, cover objects and shallow passes in the water levels with slams and reap kills.

Additionally, the counter knifing bit is off depending on how bad your ping is compared to the other player. It seems like there are times when I have clearly knifed someone from the side only to walk right into a counter because they managed to turn on their screen before it was initiated. It is also possible to continue turning or shooting during the knifing animation as I have both been shot out of it by my victim and had them turn on me as I was lunging into the final frames of the stab and counter me.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Something I found out recently is that the LAW autotracks air vehicles as well.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Green Puddin posted:

Yeah I don't get that mentality. Sure, being a smart recon can have you back sometimes (I preferred recon in BF3 for tugs and my shotgun) but to just back there all day like a little bitch... I don't get it.

20x pubbie cannon 1 and pubbie cannon 2. They hosed up when they made the base magnification on the snipers huge and put an even bigger scope in. Gotta get that sweet KD bro.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Daric posted:

What does more damage, the RPG or the SRAW? Symthic doesn't have launcher data yet.

From what DICE said before launch, it should be the RPG. But given this is DICE, who the gently caress knows.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Hellbender's pro-tips for racking Assault points:

Are you playing with goons? Bring paddles and med kits. You can call them out and they will ask for them, granting you a license to print points.

Are you playing with pubbies that are communicating? Ditch the paddles, you'll most likely have them dropping too far from you to reach them in time. Pretty sure they reduced the time you have to res because bodies I could pick up in BF3 are just too far away now. But anyhow, take a medkit and a launcher. Rack points by dropping kits where your pubbies request/know where they are, drop grenades into choke points/camping spots.

Are you playing with bog standard pubbies? Take nades and medkits, use the medkits for yourself and use the launcher as above. Kit your Ak-12 out for mid-long range firefights and be the reason there are chokepoints, snipers who will not come out of perches and why counter knifing was put into the game.

Assault is a pretty decent class if you have to play lonewolf and don't attempt to play them like a CoD class at close range. BF4 is significantly more long range oriented in its gun play compared to BF3, and BF3 typically had shooting matches farther apart than CoD does.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

krustster posted:

Here's a question that I haven't been able to look up because I don't know what to search for. I've been using the RFB with my assault guy and I pressed down on the d-pad to see if it would do anything even though it's semi-auto, and noticed that in place of the icon for single/burst/auto fire there was a number that changed from 0m all the way up to 1000m. I thought maybe it would adjust your sights for range or something but it doesn't seem to make a difference. What is it?

It does adjust your sight range, you just need to know how to estimate your engagement range with it. Works much better with a larger scope and, when you get it, the rangefinder.

SLAMs in the shallows completely stops pubbie boats on Hainan, can't wait to see how it messes with them on Paracel.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Ironsolid posted:

Any recommendations for learning sight ranges? The test field just doesn't seem to be big enough. Outside of that, the only thing I can think of is Conquest Large

Edit: Excuse my stupid double posting.

Red probably gave the best advice on how to do it. In BF3, you just had to get a feel for each rifle, so I suggest picking one you like and working with it. Also learn what the pips on the scope denote distance wise for your gun. While the zeroing in makes long range shots easier, being able to guesstimate and put a round in the rough vicinity of someone just by eyeball is going to let you engage enemy snipers faster if they have to readjust their zero.

The above being said, you can try Pubbycannon 1 or Pubbycannon 2 (m98b and SRR-Whatever). While I malign them because pubbies will either be in wookieland finger popping their assholes or using them as shotguns from fifteen feet away, they have the lowest drop in the game and allow for some accurate shooting at long range. If you want to be pro, though, pick up the m40a or any of the faster cycling bolt actions and put wookies in their place with it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

red19fire posted:

DMR's are more versatile IMHO and c4-ing tanks does more for your team; loving dweebs plinking away at one location at a known distance aren't doing much for the overall battle aside from area denial and the all-important k/d. Spot them and drop mortars, like the counter-sniper manual says! Incidentally, the sniper manual says to take no more than 2-3 shots from one location, because you WILL be fired upon by a tank or mortars as soon as they figure out where you are.

Oh, I agree whole heartedly. Battle Recon is the way to play, being up in the opponents poo poo while using your beacons and sensors to gently caress them over. Although, I'd take a carbine over the DMRs. DMRs are just not as good as they were in BF3.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So I did some digging, and unless the video is faked, there is no megalodon on Paracel. It's a UFO.
Here's the vid.

So no giant death shark, just some spooky lights.

I also guess I have terrible choice in maps, because I hate OP Fartlocker, but enjoy Floodzone. :/

EDIT: I have to agree, Hainan is painful on most game modes unless you start mining the channels beneath the bridges. And even then, fighting near C is a pain in the rear end.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

That looks like a graphical glitch from where a lightpost was knocked down

I'm willing to believe that.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Cannot Find Server posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen :psyduck:

You have to remember, Titanfall isn't about tacticoo' shootymans action. It's about flying around the stage like a winged monkey while snapping necks, making sick-rear end shots and calling down your very own jaeger battlesuit that will fight beside you and completely riffs on District 9 by having explody lightning guns and a left hand that stops incoming bullets and lets you return them to sender, post haste.

Playing that game with a control and while moving across a level is going to require some impressive manual dexterity.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

tehinternet posted:

For those of you who have PCs, I bought the Humble Bundle (https://www.humblebundle.com/) and already have Orcs Must Die 2 and Garry's Mod. First xbro (if you played with me on BF3 or 4) to respond gets their choice.

'Ey yo, I don't have PMs, but I'll take it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Switch it to single shot and just spam it like they do the DMR. There, you win.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I just found out the hard way that the enemy can climb up the outside wall of the Western spawn to lock the enemy further in their spawn. Yet another reason why that map is poo poo.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Pubbies are finding out about the UCAV. I ran into a server that is already banning them from infantry kills and a literal storm of grief because a pair of squadmates were unleashing a swarm of them against the other team.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sometimes I feel like the only thing I do in this game is get wrecked by boats on Paracel Storm.

SLAM the shallows. Completely changes the way boat players play after they hit those a couple times. It makes A and B on Hainan easier to defend as the battle boats won't sit in the shallows and cap.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
As has been said, hit up the stats site to find some names of goons on your system and send them a friend request/message to play with them. Having a good squad(s) to play with makes the game significantly easier.

That being said, if you want to become skilled with vehicles, the test island is only going to help you so far and that is by learning the basics. The moment you roll out of spawn against an enemy team, everything changes as you're going to have a subset of 16-32 players firing on you with infantry rockets and vehicles. You're going to take lumps, it's going to suck but stay aware of what mistakes you made and what works and develop an effective strategy for using your vehicles. But if you get frustrated and give up on learning how to vehicle, that's cool too. The infantry experience in BF4 is better than 3 and it's much harder for one good tanklord/skylord to completely shutdown a map by themselves.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

tehinternet posted:

It seems like only yesterday you were but a shitlord.

Lookit you now :allears:

Oh, I'm still a shitlord, I just learned how to sound sagacious while banning an entire server.

I also have a stinger for you to hop on.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Dantes posted:

From the PC patch notes :

-Fix for the SUAV (introduced in the China Rising expansion pack) not exploding when hitting enemy soldiers. While these indeed should be deadly, they were never designed for “roadkilling” opponents.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I missed the MAV HK in BF3 and now I missed the angry sea gull SUAV. gently caress.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, you also gotta know how to fly a helo. I find it best just not to spawn into one unless you know the pilot.

It's easier on PC, but getting into a helo means you're going on a one way ride to a rooftop way out in the gently caress of nowhere because the shithead pilot bails at a height that makes your helo take just too hard of a bump and do an awesome pinto roleplay.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
PROTIP: You do not have to bail on the vehicle to get a friendly roadkill. Just seat swap right before impact. This is what Ghost Riding was in BF3.

Unless they patched that poo poo, then :dice: is a bunch of unfunhavers.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

da 2pacolypse posted:

After playing battlefield 2 & 3 on PC, I'm finally switching to my PS3 for BF4. Anything I should know that I might not immediately realize by switching?

Abuse the aim assist. Seriously, the video of the snaps that thing gives a player is mind bending. Other than that, get used to using the two sticks to aim and move.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So question about the DMRs: Do they have a higher headshot multiplier than ARs/Carbines/etc? If they made it so those things cranked out damage for people who are anal about shot placement, their low damage output on non-headshots is livable. I have feeling this isn't how it is.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
The XM24 is good poo poo. Shoots down helicopters that are dumb enough to fly low.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Jesus, the AA vehicles are stupid good. If the helicopters were being used appropriately, all my time would be taken up by dueling my natural prey. But no, people use them as elevators so I have to go find something else to shoot. Thankfully, there is a bounty of infantry to take aim at. Can't wait for the 30mm to unlock.

Also, a machine gun with a silencer lets you harvest pubbies like no ones business. They never look in the direction of the red arrow.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
God bless terrible pubbies camping a motion sensor. I opened the round with a triple knife kill and none of them realized I was even there or that there were dead mans five feet from them.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Alright, that makes sense. It didn't seem like it'd be a good tool for flying solo aside from saturating a specific area for the heck of it.

Another question: How do you use LMGs? More than once I aim at a guy and go full-auto and never hit him (like I do with every other weapon and succeed at doing). The reticle is square on the guy but 90% of my shots miss. When I'm killed the enemy usually has 50% or 75% health and all it takes is a quick burst-fire from their weapons (not LMGs) to kill me. What is going on and/or what am I doing wrong? This is the default LMG too, so the rate of fire is slow as poo poo so it shouldn't cause the spread I am experiencing.

Silencer + mid range sight + stubby/angled grip is your key to success. You engage targets at mid, burst/maybe full auto and reap them. MGs are preeeetty bad up close but will drop people consistently even with a silencer outside that. And don't use it to clear people in heavy cover, that's why you have the XM25.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Could you guys help me with some good advice at how a novice can start playing this multiplayer on xbone? I've finished the single player campaign. I am wondering which map and kit I could begin with to get comfortable with the play mechanics and staying alive. My first exposure to the multiplayer side of this game was the dawn breaker large map and gently caress was I in over my head. The last time I played anything like this was bad company 2 on the PC. I've only played single player games on consoles and rarely first person shooters on a console (really the only one has been borderlands2), so I have a lot of learning to do to get good aiming. What are some basic actions I should be taking to stay alive, or roles I should be playing as a beginner to not be a moron? I remember in bad company 2 if I really just concentrated on capturing the objectives and let kill counts take a distant backseat I'd actually do pretty good point wise and help the team.

I was also wondering, those with this on the xbone, do you use the kinect leaning and head looking gestures? I found them to work surprisingly well in the single player campaign, especially the leaning around corners while aiming through the sites. The head movement one can error once in a while but is easily calibrated by switching quickly to 3rd person view and back. The ability to look around while flying without having to use one of the joysticks seems like it would be great during multiplayer. Do these functions actually work out for you guys then?

Mostly what has been said already, but I'd roll with Assault for a bit. It A.) gives you a feel for the gunplay without requiring to learn anything because a weapon is built for a specific reason, B.) helps you realize that you can just remove cover with the grenade launcher and C.) has a good deal of endurance once you get health kits unlocked. The defibs are a so-so call since it feels like the revive window much narrower than before. After you think you have a good feel for the basics, I'd move through engineer, support and then recon with a focus on playing battle recon (i.e. take a carbine, take tools to help your squad deploy forward or spot enemies and be aggressive).

And above all else, find goons on the Bone to play with. That safety net will help you develop.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
XM25 Talk:

There are two ways to make this work. If you have a moment to breathe, scope in on where your target is, put the crosshair where the edge of their cover is and come back out and go back into the sights. This will set your range perfectly for their cover. Then aim slightly to the side or above and unload. If you are taking fire, aim the the corner where the top horizontal hash meets the vertical one at the cover the enemy is in, scope in and fire to the open space. XM25 airbursts aren't instant kills, but if they're close, you can bag people with two or three. You'll also get multies.

Knife Talk:

Yeah, countering is really easy. The counter window and prompt doesn't come up until you and the other player are both in that 'Struggle with the knife' pose, but you can activate the counter early if you know it's coming. You can be shot out of the stab animation by the person you are stabbing or by his mates and a safe stab can become a front stab as there is time to move around in this one before the animation for the stab starts. This is unlike BF3, where you would teleport to the enemy mans on the stab and get your shank in once within so many feet. Additionally, you cannot shoot someone getting stabbed out from underneath the stabber. Once the animation is underway, if the guy doesn't get shot off before completing the stab, the kill is there's. Oh, and front stabs only work on new players who don't know what is going on.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Using smoke with flir/irnv feels like cheating. Did master my first gun last night, though, and am going to miss the beast as I work on the next one.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
The best way to play fartlocker is to use smoke grenades and FLIR/IRNV for the five minutes it takes to pubbies to catch on. Bonus if you slap a suppressor on and remove the light based weapon attachments. Since most pubbies hide back in their caves during the map, it lets you rack up kills on prone snipers who don't know what the gently caress and people who wander into your smoke thinking they're safe. Eventually the pubbies catch on and it's not as fun.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
They're called Battleboats and anything else is blasphemy.

Yeah, the XM25 is simple in concept, but figuring out the best and quickest way to calibrate the scope is the trick. Since it sets range the moment you shoulder it, you have to have the right part of the cover already under your crosshair or go back out. You can reset it if you aim off into space. It just stays at NA the entire time.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Holy poo poo. I just got a squad wipe ribbon. I guess that transport helicopter I took down was full of teamwork. O.o

Or you caught the lone guy in a squad. I get them all the time. I'm not that good.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Crafty posted:

You pros might already know all this stuff, I didn't know you could open the gates on operation locker like this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cab4jDj8FE

Did not know about the operation locker stuff, almost everything else is a carry over from BF3.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

tehinternet posted:

BF3 Xbros: Saturday, January 11th 8pm EST:

Tired of crashing? Jump over to another console/PC and long for the glory days of playing with people who aren't whiny bitches and just want chill and shoot mans?

ONE LAST PUNCH IN THE DICK

BATTLEFEEL 3. GOON ON GOON VIOLENCE

Saturday, January 11th. 8pm Eastern. Let's have actual fun again.

God, what a wonderful BDay gift. I will see you on Bazaar.

Slam advice: They stick to things and detonate not by pressure, but proximity. So once pubbies start spotting these on the ground, start lacing walls of bottlenecks and chokepoints with them. On Lancang, the bridge with the big rig is an example.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Can't wait to have your name in the server message

Send them for my tags, I will build a birthday castle of pubbies.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Ok I have confirmed myself to still be awful. But those tiny orange triangles are making me want to hit something. Seriously how the gently caress do I kill them?!

CAPTAIN! The way to win is engagement range. This game is really designed for the mid/long range game with three out of the four classes. Your favorite handle for better burst/automatic fire control, barrel mod of your choice (I've begun to rely on silencers way too much) and a sight to help you hit at a range other than 'up in their poo poo' and you'll be golden. Assault is probably the best sniping class in the game and support murders everything it can catch in the open at not-'up in their poo poo' range.

Engineer you just have to play like its the DOOM guy, choose weapons mod to maximize hipfire and headshot people at close/midrange without ADS.

Also, glad I'm not the only one who knows what a panopticon is.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Dantes posted:

Lol. Water is wet, there are snipers in the hills on every goddamned roof and BF4 have connectivity issues.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Captain Log posted:

My dumb rear end should be around if the servers unfuck themselves.

Woo Ambian and gaming,

I'm going to pretend that isn't a typo and that the ambian kicked in right as you went to add the independent clause to that. The image of your head dropping perfectly onto the enter button and posting as you pass out cannot be dislodged.

• Locked thread