Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyons
Mar 6, 2012
I'm up for doing the All4One event once I settle on a class I think I could actually reach 100 with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

Lyons posted:

I'm up for doing the All4One event once I settle on a class I think I could actually reach 100 with.

Same here. If there's anything I'm good at, it's constantly making new characters (and deleting old ones I don't play anymore).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If I can tear myself away from starbound I'll see about getting my phantom leveled up to do that.

Lyons
Mar 6, 2012

Corgiflop posted:

Same here. If there's anything I'm good at, it's constantly making new characters (and deleting old ones I don't play anymore).

I had the same problem, though the habit was much worse pre-Big Bang, I think. I just got bored so drat easily.

Anyway, I made a Kaiser on El Nido if anyone's looking for an A4O crew member (name's NoChildOfGod). I got to level 38 within a couple hours so I can't imagine having too much trouble getting to 100 before the event's over.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

100 is pretty drat easy to get to these days.

1-10: tutorial quests
11-20: more quests, or just grinding on whatever you find
21-30: golems in henesys, they spawn quickly an are easy to mob
31-40: mushroom kingdom or elinel fairy academy, both are easy exp
41-50: kerning square (blake's autograph quest starts it) or gold beach
51-60: chyrse grinding or the riena straight quests
61-70: the cooking with tangyoon PQ requires 2 people, is trivial to do with a guide and gives a ton of exp. http://ayumilove.net/maplestory-tangyoon-cooking-class-guide/ Alternatively, grind at Zeta Greys in Omega sector. Usually they're annoying to get to but the everyone in teleport rocks let you go to omega easily
71-80: monster park extreme, sand rats in arient or the sakura castle theme dungeon
81-90: roids/huroids in magatia, more monster park extreme
91-100: more of the same. this is the one real slow section in the lower levels.

If you want to grind to 130 for the Adventurer's Crit Ring they give out, at 100 you can do the evolution world system for oodles of exp, just go to link 3 with the flying monsters, use the highest hp, level and spawn multiplier cores you have (except hpx20, don't use that unless you have fairly high dps).

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

90-100 aliens in nlc are still viable it just takes twice as long now as it used to, and its less packed now that all the pubbies arent going there.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah, if someone names a server I'll try out a new explorer for it!

kitemi
Nov 20, 2006
Paging Meatlinux and Fairport for Windia revival

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm levelling my way to 100 Anyone Want make the Crew thing ?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

To do levels 80-100 in about an hour, get 4-5 MPE tickets, a 2x EXP coupon from an event, and a 2x EXP buff from the Cash shop. Stack the EXP buffs, do MPE, gain 3-6 levels per ticket/9 minutes. Pray you don't disconnect during a run and lose your event coupon and MPE ticket, as has happened to me 3-4 times :negative:

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Yeah, if someone names a server I'll try out a new explorer for it!

El Nido is where we're at. Pop into irc for an invite to guild.

diarmuidqq posted:

To do levels 80-100 in about an hour, get 4-5 MPE tickets, a 2x EXP coupon from an event, and a 2x EXP buff from the Cash shop. Stack the EXP buffs, do MPE, gain 3-6 levels per ticket/9 minutes. Pray you don't disconnect during a run and lose your event coupon and MPE ticket, as has happened to me 3-4 times :negative:

I found out that 2x exp coupons from the Everyone In event dont stack with the cash shop buffs. So, yeah.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yes they do, I was on 8x the other day!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arrrrrgh Im caving and re-activating my barely chief bandit character.
Goddamnit maple. This is what I get for having it as a major childhood distraction.

Now what changed since...oh I dunno, 2-3 years since I last checked what was going on?
Were there any major changes to how the game plays?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Arrrrrgh Im caving and re-activating my barely chief bandit character.
Goddamnit maple. This is what I get for having it as a major childhood distraction.

Now what changed since...oh I dunno, 2-3 years since I last checked what was going on?
Were there any major changes to how the game plays?

The controls are the same.
Chief Bandits have a new gimmick, but I don't play thief classes so damned if I know what it is.

Also remember how the game required real money if you wanted to be a Cool Pro?
That is the same. You can still get to level 200 or have fun for free.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The bandit gimmick is a passive that slowly increases your chance of crit until you crit, then resets. Basically a higher crit rate and mostly the same sort of skills they've had.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Nighthand posted:

The bandit gimmick is a passive that slowly increases your chance of crit until you crit, then resets. Basically a higher crit rate and mostly the same sort of skills they've had.

That sounds bad since crit rates get pretty high in this game naturally...

Just in the sense that everyone else's bonus sounds better. Not that by itself that ability sucks.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Bandits have a far lower crit rate than they should, but because they hit so many times in a single attack it actually works out to being a huge buff. You hit 16x with one attack 1v1

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How is the population for this game? I am looking for a new MMORPG to play that I can just sink a ton of time into and play all day, but I don't want to do it alone. Fairly active community? Not dying?

Lyons
Mar 6, 2012
Definitely not dying overall, but I don't know how many people here are actually active. If you don't care about playing with lots of goons, you could always join one of the high population servers like Scania or Bera.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Although my experience with Maple pubbies has been 82% horrible.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I was thinking of starting this back up again. Is there any benefit to being in a guild though? I tend to lose interest after a few weeks anyways.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

People to talk to. Guilds also have some guild skills, the only important one being a half-hour exp booster. I don't know if GPQ exists or if there's any reason to do it, someone else will have to answer that one.

KMS got a guild revamp with better guild skills, but we won't get that for a while.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I done did it now. I just spent two hours making characters for every possible restricted creation class I would maybe want to play in the future.

And I found my personal hell: trying to come up with character names for like twenty characters in a row and having them all be somehow funny, witty, or just not stupid nonsense. The whole process would have taken 15 minutes without that herculean task. And of course all of the good ones I came up with were already taken because this game has way too many players.

(I just spent a significant chunk of the day coming up with MMO names :negative:)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've got that some problem. That's how I ended up with SSJ4RodRoddy.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I just throw syllables together for names. Vengharial, Harglabltak, Hlorfglarb, Zennicralix... all mules I don't play, of course.

Don't forget to make limited-creation characters that have worthwhile link skills.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I've got that some problem. That's how I ended up with SSJ4RodRoddy.

This is halfway to a good name; as it is now, I can't tell if it's tongue-in-cheek or serious. Try SSJ420Roddy, or something like that.

Edit: My Thunder Breaker's name is Pooplover69, and my I/L shall forever wear the medal that proclaims him "Pooplover69's Successor".

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So um.. a whole shitload of changes coming in KMS.

Highlights include: party play in all maps, monster hp getting buffed, damage changes and more.

https://orangemushroom.wordpress.com/2013/12/10/kmst-ver-1-2-493-game-system-changes-eunwol/

edit: oh, and merged cash shop storage, i think?

Mephiston fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 16, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Not completely merged, it's a temporary event where you can toss items from one character to another, within certain limitations. Still, it's way better than what we have, and it'd be a nice way to get a permanent pet or hyper rock or safety charm off an old character and onto a new one.

Other highlights from when I went over that patch with another group of people I play with:

- Maximum stat cap increased.
- Your damage adjusts according to level difference with the monster; if you're higher level you do more, lower level you do less.
- Inner ability revamped. You use honor exp to reset the lines, and you can lock individual lines.
- Zak no longer requires the prequests.
- When you add someone as a buddy, you can click a button to add them as an account-wide buddy, so they show up on all your characters.
- "Offline login" added, aka you can sign in without it telling your buddy list you're online.

- Elite monsters exist. They are 2x the size of normal monsters and have more stats, they drop equips, cubes and flames of reincarnation, among other things.
- Elite bosses added, basically random bosses all over the place, drop similar but better stuff than elite monsters.

- COMBO SYSTEM ADDED: When you kill more than one monster in one attack you get bonus exp for the multikill. Also if you chain kills quickly you get bonus exp for the combo.

- Equips under level 100 have set bonuses.
- You can now see the potential rank of an item when it drops, before picking it up. There's a little colored aura around it.

Also, the new class had its skills posted, and it looks fairly interesting.

Also, they answered the questions from the A Better Maple survey. The answers generally fall into three categories:
1) This question was asked prior to the RED update, where we fixed the issue
2) corporate speak for "we'll think about it" or "we're aware of this issue"
3) "There are no plans we know of to do this in Korea."

There are a couple of decent answers, but most of them are non-answers. http://maplestory.nexon.net/micro-site/abettermaple

Lyons
Mar 6, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Don't forget to make limited-creation characters that have worthwhile link skills.

Which would those be? I have three empty character slots and I'm now tempted to fill them with characters who have the most useful link skills, but I didn't even know they existed - last thing I remember was the KoC Empress Blessing stuff.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Lyons posted:

Which would those be? I have three empty character slots and I'm now tempted to fill them with characters who have the most useful link skills, but I didn't even know they existed - last thing I remember was the KoC Empress Blessing stuff.

Mercedes (exp) Phantom (critical rate) and Luminous (ignore Defense) have the best skills I think.
Mihile if your main character doesn't have at least 40% stance.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
unless I get a new idea I think is really bitchin', I usually stick to a theme in my names. Right now it's generally Indigo(something) or Blooper(something)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
My names are always MTA(something relating to the Job I plan to make)

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Gensuki posted:

Mercedes (exp) Phantom (critical rate) and Luminous (ignore Defense) have the best skills I think.
Mihile if your main character doesn't have at least 40% stance.

It's worth noting here that mihiles link skill bonus is actually a skill and not a passive bonus.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I got a permanent pet from an event box. Is that normal? I remember permanent pets being stupid expensive.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

They've gave out a bunch over the past few months, so it's not really abnormal.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Link skills:

In general, each class with a link skill gets 1 point in it at level 70, the second at level 120, and the third (if they have a third) at level 210. It's never worth getting to 210 unless you're more or less maining that character to begin with, because beyond 200 the exp curve is obscene.

Most, if not all classes with link skill are limited creation. How limited depends on Nexon.

You can only have 12 links to one character, apparently. I don't have that many link mules, so I can't test it out. Link skills also don't stack, so 2x Luminous won't give you double the link or anything.

Angelic Buster: An active skill that increases your damage for a short time with a longer cooldown. Higher levels give you more damage boosting.

Cannoneer: A passive boost to all stat by a fixed amount (not percentage) and a percentage increase to HP and MP

Demon Avenger: Passive damage increase

Demon Slayer: Passive boss damage increase

Hayato: Passive increase to all stats and both attacks

Jett: A passive increase to all stats and both attacks, with a twist. The stats change periodically, and are relatively minor. You can change them and lock them temporarily with cash items. I've never seen anything really worth having from this link.

Kaiser: Passive percentage increase to HP

Kanna: Passive increase to damage

Luminous: Passive defense ignore increase

Mercedes: Passive exp booster (GET THIS ONE)

Mihile: Active skill that gives you 100% stance, making you impervious to knockback.

Phantom: Passive increase to crit rate

All cygnus knights: Passive increase to status and elemental resistance. Can stack up to five times, one for each knight.

Xenon: Percentage increase to all stats (except INT, I believe?)

Zero: (ACCORDING TO KMS, OUR DATA MAY VARY) Zero starts at level 100, so their link skills happen at level 110, 130, 160, and 200. The boost is bonus exp, which is 4/6/8/10%.

EunWol: Passive chance to, if you would take a hit that kills you, you don't die.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, uuh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYgN4c9YnM

Also the game is in 3D.

:psyduck:

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Eh, I'm still reserving judgement.

I'm going to have to adjust to 3d maple, and that trailer looks like maple is trying to pull an early squaresoft by going all WOAH TRAILERS AND CUTSCENES and overcompensating for their game, which looks average.

I mean its obviously a trailer but still, i doubt the game will look anything like that. That said, they look like two characters, wonder if that means there will be pvp.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

I have absolutely no idea how to feel about this. I'll wait until we see some gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

My opinions on the character models are torn. On one hand, they look a bit plastic. On the other, those mushrooms are so adorable, aren't you, oh yes you are! :3:

• Locked thread