Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If you know where to go and what to do, and don't mind grinding, on normal 1x experience it's entirely possible to get to 100 within 6-8 hours.

I remember a time when 6 hours would get you 40% max if you were over level 50. Nexon has really made lower levels much easier.

Unfortunately, once you hit 140 there's not a hell of a lot to do. God help you once you reach the 170s and can train at Hall of Honor; it's where you stay until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Nighthand posted:

I remember a time when 6 hours would get you 40% max if you were over level 50. Nexon has really made lower levels much easier.

You had some poo poo training spots. Post-beta early game you could get all the way to level 70 at a level every 1-2 hours if you knew where to go. It was lovely and slow and a level was barely progress, and you needed to minmax like crazy for effectiveness, but people saying it used to take 6 hours to level in the 30s are crazy. Clerics could take 3-4 hours for a level in some of the slower ranges if they were solo. Leveling Clerics used to be downright painful.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 29, 2014

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

You had some poo poo training spots. Post-beta early game you could get all the way to level 70 at a level every 1-2 hours if you knew where to go. It was lovely and slow and a level was barely progress, and you needed to minmax like crazy for effectiveness, but people saying it used to take 6 hours to level in the 30s are crazy. Clerics could take 3-4 hours for a level in some of the slower ranges if they were solo. Leveling Clerics used to be downright painful.

I'd really like to know how you could get 50%+ per hour in the mid to late 60's post-beta when zombies were pretty much the only thing you could do at that point.

captal
Feb 24, 2013

Tree's right.

I was playing a priest then, who were by far the slowest to level, and I would still be getting a level every hour (maybe hour and a half). Mid to late 60's I was training at himes I think? Priest training spots were a little off because you wanted to grind at whatever was weak to holy, but zombies were definitely not the only (or even the best) place to train. Pretty sure the ludi pq at the top of the clock tower and MP3 were both good training spots for that level span as well.

edit: typos

captal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 29, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

MP3 didn't come out until a while after beta. Not to say you're wrong, though.

I'm willing to buy Shield for Magic Attack 60%! You can get one from doing the Krexel quests in Singapore. I'm willing to pay, er, I dunno. 25m each? If they turn out to be worth a bunch more than that we can work out a deal.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

captalueta posted:

Tree's right.

I was playing a priest then, who were by far the slowest to level, and I would still be getting a level every hour (maybe hour and a half). Mid to late 60's I was training at himes I think? Priest training spots were a little off because you wanted to grind at whatever was weak to holy, but zombies were definitely not the only (or even the best) place to train. Pretty sure the ludi pq at the top of the clock tower and MP3 were both good training spots for that level span as well.

edit: typos

MP3 came out with Singapore, Voodoos/Hoodoos and Windriders came out in the second expansion to NLC and FoG came out with the revamped Sleepywood(Samihos with KFT and Water Goblins with Mushroom Shrine but those weren't much better than zombies). Post beta 60-70 was zombies or more zombies. You could definitely get >50% per hour at the first three but they came out way later. Ludi maze GMS also got much later. Himes had ~40k hp and priests could start doing them early 80s or so due to the holy weakness, everyone else needed to be 90+ for it to be worth.

edit: I could remeber actually useful things, but that wouldn't let me sperg out about Maplestory! Fun fact, GMS got Zipangu/Mushroom Shrine only up to Water Goblins at first, Himes were added in a later patch and was the best endgame training spot until Leafre, I believe.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 31, 2014

captal
Feb 24, 2013

Well, hell man.

I guess my idea of what constituted 'beta' is just straight up wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Blaze Wizard revamp preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4fU2L14eWk

Looks sweet! Should be on the test server next week, I'm pretty hype.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
When I think of "post-beta" I think of when Orbis was endgame, when level 40 was HELLA PRO

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Horizontal Tree posted:

When I think of "post-beta" I think of when Orbis was endgame, when level 40 was HELLA PRO

Perion was the cool hangout spot. What's FM?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Perion was the cool hangout spot. What's FM?

I too remember chilling in Perion, selling 10% overall Dex scrolls from KPQ for 200k each, getting super rich.

Also panlids. If I were playing a shield class and had will to spend more money on this game I'd anvil a good shield with a panlid. Panlid supremacy.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

I too remember chilling in Perion, selling 10% overall Dex scrolls from KPQ for 200k each, getting super rich.

Also panlids. If I were playing a shield class and had will to spend more money on this game I'd anvil a good shield with a panlid. Panlid supremacy.

I tried to buy one for 10k and the guy just went lol and left. Who thought a panlid would cost so much?

Actually, did GMS get El Nath along Orbis or were those two updates? I started playing around the time Bera launched and Ludibrium along with 3rd jobs was the first thing I remember looking forward to.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I believe Orbis and El math were simultaneous, with the Mine and Zakum possibly coming slightly later. Even when it was released, the number of people over level 50 and even able to enter the dungeon was miniscule.

I still remember the original flash overviews on the website when they released 3rd job. Thieves were all so excited to get mob attacks, back when everything was about 1v1 damage, unlike now where mobbing is king.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
Does the game ever really get harder? I'm still early in the game, at around level 50-60, but so far it's just been going to maps and aoeing all the mobs down easily and even bosses can't touch me.

I think I'm doing more damage to myself as a Demon than the enemies do to me. I swear I remember the game being harder than this.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Some of the bosses require good timing and fast reactions, but beyond that, it doesn't get too much more difficult.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Eventually monsters do a lot more damage to you, but anything short of an instant kill is trivialized by potions and only hampered by lag spikes killing you. A few bosses -- Magnus, for instance -- have gimmicks like dodging and positioning stuff you need to know to really take them on... except they have so much HP that they're tedious to the extreme, if not impossible, without a lot of gearing or a party with decent gear.

So... hard? No. Tedious? Very much so.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I prefer to think of Maplestory as the Disgaea of MMOs. It's not about difficulty or strategy, it's all about flashy moves and making your numbers grow as big as possible.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

I have actually lost fights in Disgaea

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Aristobulus posted:

I have actually lost fights in Disgaea

I have lost fights in Maplestory.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
So after reading this thread I decided to try the game out again out and, although I never managed to find my old account, I managed to get a character to lvl 105 Bishop during the weekend. Granted I have no idea whatsoever as to where to go to now, but was surprised at how much easier it is now.

I was thinking of making another character but have no idea. Are Canoneers or Thunder Breakers any fun? I was thinking about a pirate but not sure. Any suggestions?

captal
Feb 24, 2013

I made a cannoneer for the link skill pretty recently and I've been having a good time with it. My main is a corsair, which is also really fun if you can get over the fact that most things two-shot you until you're level 150 (then they 3shot you). Pirates are rad, I say go for it. There aren't a whole lot of classes that are just strictly inferior to others, so do what seems interesting.

If you stop in to irc and make a character in El Nido there are a good amount of goons who would be down to train with you and etc.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3-mM9GRR4

Blaze Wiz and Night Walker revamps in KTespia. Blaze wizard looks awesome and fun, Night Walker looks like they took everything the old assassins got rid of and gave it to them. Seriously, one of their hyper skills is triple shadow partner.

https://orangemushroom.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/kmst-ver-1-2-501-flame-wizard-night-walker-update/

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yeah, BW looks cool. NW would be cool if we didn't already have post-RED NLs. NW hyper actually changes the background and the BGM, though! That's pretty badass.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Man, I keep coming back to this game every few months. What's currently available to be made? And what's an easy class I can hold down a button or two for to watch big numbers show up, while I watch TV?

Are those beast tamer spirit ladies still available to be made? I might be into making one of those, I love animal based classes.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I have to give Nexon this one, it's just amazing: http://youtu.be/q-QOYLk7XDk?t=3m17s

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Oh my god wow. And I just did the Mushroom Theme dungeon not too long ago, that's quite a difference.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What's the news on Maplestory 2? Is it abandoned?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

No. They keep posting class preview images but not really anything about how the game itself will look or play.

https://orangemushroom.wordpress.com/category/maplestory-2/

captal
Feb 24, 2013

sup it's your resident zakum fetishist and i'm trying to put together a czak run sometime this weekend

I have an eye of fire already so if you want in just make sure you've done the prequests and let me know that you're down either here or in irc.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The Maple 2 devs may be making a gameplay video, they made this tweet. It isn't really clear what they actually mean though, it's pretty engrishy.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

So long as Maplestory 2 is better than RO2 I'll be happy.

Kristler
Apr 19, 2014
RO2 was a trainwreck disgrace of a sequel to what was a great game. I really hope the publishers have smartened up for Maplestory 2 and realized that it's the mechanics that sell, not just the trademarks. :ughh:

captal
Feb 24, 2013

Looking for 2 goons who have done zak prequests to log in so we can add you to the party. You have to do literally nothing else and there are cool hats at stake here. Please consider.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

So, about the Angelic Buster, anyone know how they work as far as cash shop items? I've read that you can change the AB's transformation's hair/eyes as it asks you which form you want to customize when you go to the NPC, but what about clothes?

If you buy cash shop clothes, can you put those on the AB form? I know there's special unique "compacts" the AB can wear, but I'm wondering if she can wear the rest of the cash shop clothes too.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yes. It works basically like an android, in the equips window there's a tab for your equips, a tab for your cash slots, and a "coordinate" tab for your superhero cash slots. I have a couple of random no-value perm cash equips on mine.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing for like three days and I'm already level 55. This is not the same game I remember.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!

captal posted:

Looking for 2 goons who have done zak prequests to log in so we can add you to the party. You have to do literally nothing else and there are cool hats at stake here. Please consider.

How cool are these hats?

If "very cool", would like to know what are the zak quests? I simply rushed to 100 killing stuff so I am still fairly clueless overall.

captal
Feb 24, 2013

Well yknow after I posted that I realized that cool is actually pretty subjective, but I maintain that the hat is still great.

We already did the run but if you're a fan of this kind of hat we could probably do another one at some point. This 3 part youtube guide is your best bet for doing the quests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upmoSyHZGQ

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, if you want to play Monsteropoly, MAKE SURE YOUR ETC TAB HAS TWO OPEN SLOTS. You'll get stuck in there elsewise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

madeupfred posted:

Hey, if you want to play Monsteropoly, MAKE SURE YOUR ETC TAB HAS TWO OPEN SLOTS. You'll get stuck in there elsewise.

The "move to the anniversary map" thing works to get you out if you're stuck, but you forfeit the reward for that board run.

• Locked thread