Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I are traveling for about a year, started in January with 3 months in India. We're leaving India in 3 weeks and our next destination is Morocco. Our flight has us coming in to Casablanca and I have to say I'm experiencing some serious sticker shock when it comes to the hotels. I'm not finding much cheaper than ~$35/night, including hostels. Anyone have any tips/recos about hotels in Casablanca? Should I just bite the bullet and reserve a $40 room or whatever for one night and then try to bargain for the other nights when I get there, or is it not like SE Asia in that regard?

We don't really have an itinerary set yet and so we don't have our heart set on staying in Casablanca for a long time or anything, but we arrive at midnight and so we're going to want a couple nights there just to get our bearings. Our daily budget is $85 so $40 for the hotel kind of blows rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I knew it would be more expensive than SE Asia but what I meant was is it like SE Asia in that I can just show up at a hotel and bargain for the room, or is it a "book ahead" kind of place?

Despite it being more expensive I was hoping to find hostels more on the order of $20-$35, not $40-$45.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Can't comment on that tour specifically but from what I have heard from other travelers and our interactions with them, Intrepid is a pretty good tour company. We're looking at one of their Egypt tours since they're heavily discounted at the moment.

Edit: So I'm looking to learn some basic Arabic before heading to Morocco. I have a little over a month and I gather that the Arabic that's actually used in Morocco is not Standard Arabic so Rosetta Stone-type poo poo may not be helpful. Any particular books/reference guides/software you guys can recommend? Obviously I'm not looking for fluency - I'm looking for basic conversational poo poo, buying things, that kind of stuff.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 18, 2014

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Hey guys we landed in Casablanca last night. I should have mentioned when I asked my question that my wife speaks French so I was wanting to learn some Darija for novelty/to earn some goodwill. I've cobbled together some words and phrases from youtube and a few websites and made like 60 flashcards and managed to memorize all of it in a couple weeks. But so far in Casa everyone just speaks French and doesn't give two shits when I say anything to them in anything other than French. I speak Spanish fluently so we should be fine up in Tangier if we have to switch from French to Spanish, I think.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions and background. Looking forward to getting out and exploring the country.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
This may be too late to help you but no, we never were able to get our (US-issued) cards to work on CTM's website. Booking while you're there shouldn't be a problem, even small cities have booking offices where you can go in person to buy tickets. I seriously doubt the middle of June is jam-packed tourist season...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Everywhere I went in Morocco it was shukran. I also highly recommend Essaouira. We went there with 10 days left in the country intending to stay for 3 days and ended up staying for all 10. That place is the poo poo.

• Locked thread