Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Marrakech is a great city to spend a day or two in.

Taking a drive down to the Todra gorge would be cool, the desert and oases in the area are really interesting as well, though when I was there it was my first experience of sand dunes and the Sahara, so your enjoyment may vary.

The best places I've seen in Morocco are both north of Marrakech: Chefchauen is incredible for hiking and is a great feeling chilled out town, I stayed for weeks.

Ouzoud is a small village with some beautiful waterfalls, not especially well known but beautiful and really worth visiting. Most people do a day trip but if you get there and ask around, you can usually pay to sleep on someone's floor / rent a corner of a barn, which will make you friends and give you a hell of a good time there.

I will say, I was there in early February, outside of the main tourist season, as you were. This was a great thing as there were very few crowds and everything felt a bit less touristy.

I didn't find Essaouaira particularly interesting or outstanding.

Chris! fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
I would say that if you have 2 full days in Marrakech, that is probably enough - I'd use that extra day to explore those other places. Marrakech is fantastic, but you can definitely fit in most of what you'll want to see in 2 full days / nights.

Do you know where you'll be staying there, or will you just arrive and find somewhere? That's what I did, and (especially out of tourist season) it's very easy to find somewhere cheap.

The drive through the Atlas Mountains towards Todra and the desert will have plenty of places you'll probably want to stop and explore! I would probably do your road trip, then chill in Marrakech afterwards.

I really loved Ouzoud, if you get there and start asking around if there anywhere you can stay, and manage to get lucky, you can have an awesome time there.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Great, have fun, let us know how you get on!

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Sub Par posted:

My wife and I are traveling for about a year, started in January with 3 months in India. We're leaving India in 3 weeks and our next destination is Morocco. Our flight has us coming in to Casablanca and I have to say I'm experiencing some serious sticker shock when it comes to the hotels. I'm not finding much cheaper than ~$35/night, including hostels. Anyone have any tips/recos about hotels in Casablanca? Should I just bite the bullet and reserve a $40 room or whatever for one night and then try to bargain for the other nights when I get there, or is it not like SE Asia in that regard?

We don't really have an itinerary set yet and so we don't have our heart set on staying in Casablanca for a long time or anything, but we arrive at midnight and so we're going to want a couple nights there just to get our bearings. Our daily budget is $85 so $40 for the hotel kind of blows rear end.

I would like to say that Casablanca is far and away the worst place in Morocco in my opinion, so it's good that you're not staying there long!

I travelled around Morocco for a few months and never once booked anywhere ahead, I just turned up and found accommodation, bargaining a price on arrival. I don't remember prices accurately but if you're happy to not have too much luxury it shouldn't be very expensive, certainly cheaper than the prices you quoted, probably a bit more than India though.

• Locked thread