Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Slime posted:

I know what you mean. When you can just chop down some trees and gently caress off into space, sitting around on some shithole planet making picks just seems...weird.

The flavor text is literally "Pickaxes are so last millenia!"

It's like the developers know and are undecided on it themselves, so best to keep giving them feedback on it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Slime posted:

It doesn't help that the tutorial is pretty terrible, really. It's telling you to sit around making picks and armor and stuff, when you've already got access to your ship. It's easy to assume that the distress beacon it tells you to make is for the sake of getting off the planet in the first place, and it never tells you that you can refuel your ship and go somewhere else. I kind of thought that crafting the distress beacon would get me some starter fuel and get me what I needed to make more, but what I actually got was a complete asskicking. In fact, the game is actively leading you towards scrubbing around in the dirt for ore when you can already gently caress off and get equipment that's far better than the stuff the tutorial is trying to make you craft.

Yeah, definitely - the game teaches you a very non-optimal advancement path. I generally skip tutorials in everything (which makes it impossible for me to learn how to play games like Crusder Kings :smith:) but that served me very well in this game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Hey, for those of you in the Beta sector, there's a rad Sci-fi dungeon at X 17437691 Y -68092721 Beta Trianguli III b. It's a bit of a hike from the spawn, but you'll find it, and then be killed by robots.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

How long that take you to assemble? Because its damned awesome. :haw:

Not really sure. Got all the stuff for it while I was running around doing my thing, when I took inventory of all my junk I realized I could build something pretty neat out of it. The actual construction took maybe two-three hours.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Does anyone have Planet coordinates to one that contains Diamonds, Platinum, or something decent?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A.C. posted:

e: vvv the boss stays around if you fail to kill it; I died a few times on my attempt before deciding to cheese it and he stayed on the planet each time. There may be some kind of timer before he disappears but if you put the beacon down at a planet's spawn point you can jump right back down he's still there and you can keep damaging him, he's easy enough to graveyard rush and you could do it with the starting weapon and no armor with enough patience

This was not the case for me. I died almost immediately in my first attempt and beamed down right away and he was gone. Then in my second attempt I cased myself in with some blocks and shot him with my bow and arrow, and got dispirited when I saw it would take me like 10 minutes of shooting him with that. Then a couple minutes in he just up and left, I couldn't kill him fast enough. My third attempt had me with much better armor and a better weapon but I still died eventually because I couldn't manage all the penguins. Upon immediately beaming back down, he was gone. My fourth attempt was the cheese attempt. Building a beacon 4 times takes a long time. Especially when during the first three attempts, you don't know you can fuel a spaceship with logs and coal.

I believe he only doesn't leave if you're in multiplayer and have another player around. And even then he's on a timer.

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster

WebDO posted:

Keep up the good work, and kudos on keeping so well plugged in to the community.

Do we have developers here? I'm already in love with this game so that's cool to know. It'd be like when I found out one of the creators of The Walking Dead Telltale game is a member here. Too bad he left for better pastures. :(

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Fair to Midland posted:

Do we have developers here? I'm already in love with this game so that's cool to know. It'd be like when I found out one of the creators of The Walking Dead Telltale game is a member here. Too bad he left for better pastures. :(

One of the developers is a pretty active poster, and I know the lead dev pops in from time to time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fair to Midland posted:

The lead designer, Tiy, registered here this year and posts from time to time, he posted today in the old thread. There are a handful of other chucklefish members who are goons. Molly, the community manager, is one. Rho, one of the artists, is a long time goon.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This was not the case for me. I died almost immediately in my first attempt and beamed down right away and he was gone. Then in my second attempt I cased myself in with some blocks and shot him with my bow and arrow, and got dispirited when I saw it would take me like 10 minutes of shooting him with that. Then a couple minutes in he just up and left, I couldn't kill him fast enough. My third attempt had me with much better armor and a better weapon but I still died eventually because I couldn't manage all the penguins. Upon immediately beaming back down, he was gone. My fourth attempt was the cheese attempt. Building a beacon 4 times takes a long time. Especially when during the first three attempts, you don't know you can fuel a spaceship with logs and coal.

I believe he only doesn't leave if you're in multiplayer and have another player around. And even then he's on a timer.

I've only played Singleplayer, so I don't know what made it special for me.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
God, gently caress Avian temples. The random guards with laser shotguns capable of one shotting you on level 1 planets are just horrible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

legoman727 posted:

God, gently caress Avian temples. The random guards with laser shotguns capable of one shotting you on level 1 planets are just horrible.

You really need at least full copper armor before attempting to take on even threat level 1 dungeons.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Where the gently caress do I even find diamond?

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
So what do the randomly generated human buildings look like? I keep finding poo poo on my starter planet and I'm never sure if it's Apex or Human, they look like the Apex buildings from the screenshots I've seen, but I haven't seen any of the weird signs and propaganda. I dunno if it's Human stuff and it just looks really similar to Apex or what. Not really important either way I guess, just something I was curious about.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I searched the thread but couldn't find an answer: is it possible to rotate wooden support beams?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone with a modern nvidia card solved their issues with framerate? I'm using a Nvidia 560M and the game regularly drops to sub 20 FPS levels. The support thread (here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/current-work-arounds-try-these-if-youre-having-issues.35207/) advises "enabling/disabling" (?) "multicore optimization" in the nvidia control pannel. I've poked around and that doesn't seem to be a feature, at least for me. I've messed with a feature that sounds close (threaded optimization) and that doesn't seem to make a difference one way or another.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You really need at least full copper armor before attempting to take on even threat level 1 dungeons.

Sometimes even that isn't enough. I tried to take on a USMC Prison on my starting planet and even with full copper armor and a nice, big axe I was still getting one-shot by melee NPCs and getting nailed for 30-40 damage a bullet by rapid fire rifles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Sometimes even that isn't enough. I tried to take on a USMC Prison on my starting planet and even with full copper armor and a nice, big axe I was still getting one-shot by melee NPCs and getting nailed for 30-40 damage a bullet by rapid fire rifles.

That's just how the game goes right now. The way armor penetration, armor, and damage works gives a very small window where things actually deal reasonable damage. It seems like 90% of the time you're either being one or two shot, or taking very little damage. You just have to learn how to be very cautious and how to avoid melee attacks completely. Getting a shield helps immensely.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

pandaK posted:

Where the gently caress do I even find diamond?

I found five diamonds in chest inside a hut on a threat level 1 planet.

That is all so far.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

So, uh, for plant fiber, what EXACTLY am I looking for? I've found a bunch of mushrooms that I can pick with E or the MM, there's bushes and fronds everywhere but I can't get them with E or cutting them with the sword you start with, and the MM just removes them.

e: vvv I have no idea how I missed the giant vines being MMable. :downs: Thanks.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 6, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

So, uh, for plant fiber, what EXACTLY am I looking for? I've found a bunch of mushrooms that I can pick with E or the MM, there's bushes and fronds everywhere but I can't get them with E or cutting them with the sword you start with, and the MM just removes them.

Vines hanging inside caves or the giant grass/flower trees mentioned earlier in the thread.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

If you want a different system / planet generation open celestial.config and change the sectorSeed values.
code:
  "sectors" : [
    {
      "id" : "alpha",
      "name" : "Alpha Sector",
      "sectorSeed" : 71707887027,
      "prefix" : "Alpha",
      "sectorSymbol" : "/celestial/sector/1.png",
      "hueShift" : -30,

"worldParameters" : {
        "threatLevel" : [1, 10],
        "unlockedBiomes" : [ "arid", "desert", "forest", "snow", "moon" ]
      }
    },
]
You can also add more sectors, increase the threatLevel ranges and change what biomes spawn in the sector.
code:
    {
      "id" : "sectorz",
      "name" : "Sector Z",
      "sectorSeed" : 20348384203492,
      "prefix" : "Zed",
      "sectorSymbol" : "/celestial/sector/x.png",
      "hueShift" : 180,

"worldParameters" : {
        "threatLevel" : [41, 62],
        "unlockedBiomes" : [ "moon", "magma", "tentacles", "volcanic" ]
      }
    },

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 6, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

You can force your hunger meter to pop-up if you type "/showhunger" in the chat.
Also it looks like you can toggle PvP if you type "/pvp" into the chat.

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 6, 2013

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I felt like I was doing pretty good with the first big two-hander you can craft, but I found an eyeball shield on my starting planet and it plus a one-hander makes me much more durable. I raided an apex lab on a desert planet in the same star system with minimal damage from the many snipers and rifles there.

There wasn't actually anything useful in the lab, but still.

Meanwhile I went to a level 6 moon nearby and there are monsters there that can rip right through my shield. I should go back to mining silver to get armored up.

Found a kitchen counter in an apex apartment complex on that same moon and now I can turn my wheat into bread :woop:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Booya posted:

So what do the randomly generated human buildings look like? I keep finding poo poo on my starter planet and I'm never sure if it's Apex or Human, they look like the Apex buildings from the screenshots I've seen, but I haven't seen any of the weird signs and propaganda. I dunno if it's Human stuff and it just looks really similar to Apex or what. Not really important either way I guess, just something I was curious about.

Human structures are militaristic, things like prisons. They usually have floodlights for illumination and barbed-wire on the top, and "USCM" logos stamped on things.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I was just gifted this for my birthday, but I can't really play/test it, it lags like poo poo, I'm getting like 5 FPS. Is that normal, or is something up? Should I close Chrome before trying to launch it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
New crafting options will open up as I find more resources? All I've got is an anvil and a crafting bench and a loom and it seems I've hit a wall, no new crafting stations are available to build and I can't figure out how to get things like the Molten Core or fuel for my ship.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Mezzanine posted:

How is the performance on the OSX version?

My Specs:
- MacBook Air, Mid-2011 model
- 1.7 GHz CPU
- 4GB RAM
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

I believe that Chucklefish is specifically testing this game on a MacBook Air, though I don't know if it's an older one like yours.

edit: Patch notes, got some good poo poo in here.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I found the Gravity Neutralizer tech, but have no idea how to use it. I've tried activating it the same way my Rocket Jump works, but so far nothing happens. Anyone got any idea how I use this that I may start hovering like a jackass?

EDIT: Okay, so you have to select your active tech through the inventory. That's weird. Now I can float and glide around indefinitely, because it does not consume energy. Glitch maybe.

Ass-Haggis fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 6, 2013

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
How do you make floor pieces you can go through with stairs but can walk on like a floor too?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reason posted:

New crafting options will open up as I find more resources? All I've got is an anvil and a crafting bench and a loom and it seems I've hit a wall, no new crafting stations are available to build and I can't figure out how to get things like the Molten Core or fuel for my ship.

You have to craft the Distress Beacon to fight a boss and get the Molten Core, which lets you craft a new crafting stations to craft new things. This is how all crafting progression works in this game so you do the same thing at higher tiers.

Fuel for your ship is anything combustible; coal, wood, plutonium, etc.

FlocksOfMice posted:

How do you make floor pieces you can go through with stairs but can walk on like a floor too?

[material] Platform in the crafting window

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Clocks posted:

Because your ship doesn't start with much more than a weak-rear end matter manipulator and how exactly are you going to know how to upgrade it if you're stranded on some planet with not much more than that and a flashlight?

A matter manipulator doesn't feel like a swiss-army knife. Not by default at least. Someone has to TELL me it's a swiss-army knife before I perceive it as something minor or inefficient.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I just tuned into a stream where a purple thing was playing a keytar midi of "What is Love." Guess I have to own this game now.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Couple of questions. What is the difference between alpha and beta sectors? Also, what is the next ranged weapon up from an Iron hunting bow?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zotix posted:

Couple of questions. What is the difference between alpha and beta sectors? Also, what is the next ranged weapon up from an Iron hunting bow?

Beta sector has planets from lvl 11-20. You can make a steel bow, but it'd be better to finnagle some guns from a gun shop somewhere; several people have posted planets where you can find those, and that'll serve you well.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
From tonight's patch notes

quote:

- Monsters now have a small chance to drop meat when killed with normal weapons. (done)

- Monsters now have a 70% chance to drop meat when killed with a hunting weapon, up from 50% (done)

GREAT ideas. Or, at least make the beginner bow better. I've got the iron bow now and that motherfucker rocks.

quote:

- Bandages are now craftable with 4 plant fibres, no longer require fabric (done)

This seems completely unnecessary to me, but whatever.

quote:

Perfect.

And a lot of other good fixes. Anyone know ETA?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Didn't someone in the old thread say that the first boss is the wrong boss or something? If it's that much of a pain in the rear end to beat him I might never see the next tech level.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"Complete tiers of content are coming really soon. I’d like to get 1/2 tiers of content done per week. "

Dang, that's a much faster pace of content implementation than I expected. It must all be really close to completion. Which makes me wonder about their beta timing, but I guess they wanted it out before 2013 ended no matter what.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zeether posted:

Didn't someone in the old thread say that the first boss is the wrong boss or something? If it's that much of a pain in the rear end to beat him I might never see the next tech level.

They just nerfed him in tonight's patch, I don't know if he's still overtuned but you can just trap him in terrain and cheese it.

in other news, this planet has a mountain of bone:

X 9236144 Y 72611316
Beta Al Dhibain 87 II

Left of spawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Revol posted:

edit: Patch notes, got some good poo poo in here.

quote:

- Ufos should hopefully not fly off anymore, they were actually flying off to attack birds! (done)

That both explains so much and is a funny bug. :allears:

• Locked thread