Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Zoolooman posted:

A matter manipulator doesn't feel like a swiss-army knife. Not by default at least. Someone has to TELL me it's a swiss-army knife before I perceive it as something minor or inefficient.

It totally says it will manipulate all matter which is pretty Swiss Army knife to me. I'd really like to see the matter manipulator replace pick axes for digging. I'm ok with them but it would be a lot cooler to have a scifi thing for it instead. It could easily work too you just have your starting equipment be busted and you slowly repair it over time. I think it works just fine even if its a little silly to be upgrading it with raw ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

crowfeathers posted:

X= 59877410 Y= -70634402
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 II

If you go left, avoiding the monsters (it's a danger lvl 10 planet) then you'll find an anchor from an airship, with friendly avians who will sell you blueprints for their armor, and also guns.

This planet right here, it owns. You can get lucky enough to reach the ship without finding a single monster, and I got a 30 damage 10 ap pistol that lets me shoot with a shield up. I'm drat near invincible to threats below 9 now.

Also found a flower backpack that supposedly boosts energy regen while in sunlight. Don't really know if it works, though.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Dunno how my Avian learned how to play the harmonica considering the beak and all, but here's his ship littered with the trophies of his conquests.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those fixes look pretty good I'm glad they are listening to responses. Especially the increased mining speed!

I'm also glad I decided to cheese the UFO before the block smashing was fixed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Dunno how my Avian learned how to play the harmonica considering the beak and all, but here's his ship littered with the trophies of his conquests.

I love this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Revol posted:

From tonight's patch notes

GREAT ideas. Or, at least make the beginner bow better. I've got the iron bow now and that motherfucker rocks.

This seems completely unnecessary to me, but whatever.

Perfect.

And a lot of other good fixes. Anyone know ETA?

That plus

quote:

- Added hunting knife weapon that also makes monsters drop meat (done)

Finally hunting doesn't feel like the most annoying thing in game.

Also yay

quote:

- Craftable climbing ropes! (done)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I hope that in the future there'll be a way to make sure that tiles and ores that are a similar color don't mingle together, because the iron ore is almost impossible to see here.

That or add some graphical effect that makes metals "pop".

edit: also, there were people suggesting that higher tier planets have tougher stone to pick through, but I've been mining the hell out of my beginner planet and have passed through a variety of different kinds of cobblestone and they all vary in how long it takes to mine through them.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 6, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mezzanine posted:

This thread is probably moving a mile a minute, but in the hopes that someone notices:

How is the performance on the OSX version?

My Specs:
- MacBook Air, Mid-2011 model
- 1.7 GHz CPU
- 4GB RAM
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

It runs Terraria just fine in Wine, and Minecraft runs alright. If the beta is at least playable, I'll go ahead and buy it.

PLEASE take note, currently the game doesn't run at all with anything before 10.9 (Mavericks). I'm running 10.6.8, and I can't update to Mavericks (a reason unrelated to Starbound, has to do with my audio hardware not being supported after 10.8), so unless you have Mavericks installed, don't buy it.

I'm REALLY hoping that Bartwe or Tiy can fix this :smith: Aren't they already dealing with Windows XP? Snow Leopard is a LOT later than that. I'd say it's the Mac equivalent to Windows 7.

Tiy, I'd love to hear from you whether Starbound will eventually be compatible with pre-10.9 Macs.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Attention everyone: Rainbow Wood can be found on desert planets. I have 2000 pieces of it, which will give me 6000 planks. I think...I might build something with it. But first I'm going to have to jet off into space and fight some worthy decorations for my fabulous castle.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm curious, how many hours has everyone played and how far have they gotten?

I've put in 17 hours, but am still on Tier 1. I was getting ready to take on the UFO, but now I'll wait for the patch.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Slime posted:

Attention everyone: Rainbow Wood can be found on desert planets. I have 2000 pieces of it, which will give me 6000 planks. I think...I might build something with it. But first I'm going to have to jet off into space and fight some worthy decorations for my fabulous castle.

Rainbow wood is pretty awesome. My friend didn't know how to place background walls and had a hut without any, so I used my rainbow wood collection to solve that problem for him.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

PLEASE take note, currently the game doesn't run at all with anything before 10.9 (Mavericks). I'm running 10.6.8, and I can't update to Mavericks (a reason unrelated to Starbound, has to do with my audio hardware not being supported after 10.8), so unless you have Mavericks installed, don't buy it.

I'm REALLY hoping that Bartwe or Tiy can fix this :smith: Aren't they already dealing with Windows XP? Snow Leopard is a LOT later than that. I'd say it's the Mac equivalent to Windows 7.

Tiy, I'd love to hear from you whether Starbound will eventually be compatible with pre-10.9 Macs.

I believe one of the other developers is in charge of the Mac version. Legris? It was a lady. I remember her panicking on the beta release livecast, afraid that the Mac version was gonna be broken on Steam because of something she did.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Slime posted:

It also can't be used as loving fuel. Ugh. :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Does anyone know where to find crystals? I found a schematic for a rainbow bed that uses them.

I want a rainbow everything now. Gotta hunt those schematics.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Revol posted:

I believe one of the other developers is in charge of the Mac version. Legris? It was a lady. I remember her panicking on the beta release livecast, afraid that the Mac version was gonna be broken on Steam because of something she did.

Oh, I wasn't aware of this. I'm still looking for any official word as to whether or not they'll be (even eventually, I'll wait!) support pre 10.9.

It's funny that the maker of my audio hardware (Presonus) has labeled my device as legacy, and therefore won't support it POST 10.9. Then again, I probably shouldn't be playing games on the same computer I use for audio.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
WHERE THE gently caress IS THE PAUSE KEY? :mad:

Singleplayer mode needs a pause key. Period.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
so I'm sitting on a bunch of gold and already have the silver armor, but I don't have the option to craft gold armor. Do I need a higher tier of anvil? I already crafted a diamond pick, but the way. Looting town sure does pay off.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You need the anvil that requires the Molten Core to make to craft Gold/Second-Tier racial.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone found and tricks for getting Titanium ore yet? It has been a real road block. I have tons of Platinum but I've still only found maybe 20 bars worth of Titanium total, and I'm going to need another ~110+ :(

e: right now I'm trying to dig real deep in to a Moon in Gamma Sector to see if there's any there, I found a huge network of tunnels with nothing in them except oil lanterns, and pools of a blackish purple liquid that I think is oil

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS THE PAUSE KEY? :mad:

Singleplayer mode needs a pause key. Period.

At the very least, quitting and reloading shouldn't bring you back to your spaceship.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

How the hell do you get Superior Brains? I've gotten over 100 Inferior brains from random mobs and humanoid NPCs don't drop any brains at all.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

drat son. All you need is a human on your shoulder.

Meanwhile, banana bread is the best. (If you're an ape.)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

How the hell do you get Superior Brains? I've gotten over 100 Inferior brains from random mobs and humanoid NPCs don't drop any brains at all.

I think it's just a random chance; the second brain I got was Superior and it was from the same exact kind of enemy that dropped the first (Inferior) brain I got.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At the very least, quitting and reloading shouldn't bring you back to your spaceship.

It's infuriating when games do this. I think Terraria also initially had no way to pause. Some of us are only playing single-player and we have grown up lives, involving wives, children, pets, etc. We need to be able pause and walk away from the computer sometimes.

I dropped Path of Exile because this annoyed me so much.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

A.C. posted:

I think it's just a random chance; the second brain I got was Superior and it was from the same exact kind of enemy that dropped the first (Inferior) brain I got.

So I'm just incredibly unlucky then. Ugh, this is the first thing that's really annoyed the hell out of me so far.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Random monster generation is the greatest god drat thing and the thought of losing some of the best of them to patch wipes is deeply saddening. I've seen some creepy and exotic and weird things roaming around, from giant otter things that make fart noises to vicious Barney looking dinosaurs to smiley wall-eyed turtle things, but my buddy went back to his house to heal up in bed when he first encountered these magnificent bastards coming out of nowhere to mince on and stare at him through his roof:

We call them diddlers. :allears:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I've found my first tech and equipped it through the ship console. So how do I use Energy Dash?

edit: nvm, double tap in a direction. Neat. Only goes left or right and works in midair.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

A.C. posted:

in other news, this planet has a mountain of bone:

X 9236144 Y 72611316
Beta Al Dhibain 87 II

Left of spawn

Thank you much for that, I need a ton of bones and flesh for my skull throne.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Yay for top hats.

Game's rad but dear god, it starts too slow. Amped the matter manipulator speed through assets, then went back and edited all the pickaxes cause goddamn. Diamond or Platinum pickaxes should not take that long to go through cobblestone. Also reduced fall damage to 50% and reduced pixel loss to 10%, made things bearable.

I'd also love to see crafted weapons normalized between races; my apex friend gets better weapons through crafting - and so far all the weapons we've found on t2 are poo poo, so we're stuck with crafted ones.

Edit:

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I've found my first tech and equipped it through the ship console. So how do I use Energy Dash?

edit: nvm, double tap in a direction. Neat. Only goes left or right and works in midair.

Do you remember the coordinates by any chance? Seems like the tech stuff are pre-determined.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 6, 2013

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
loving hell, does anyone know if there's a cheat/debug function or a feasible way to edit a character? I just accidentally shift-clicked 82 gold ore into a full furnace and lost all of it because of that bug. Spent like the last 3 hours mining for that poo poo. gently caress.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does the UFO despawn if you don't kill it quick enough? This one was with two bars left and it just went uuuuuup and never came back. I wasnt even cheesing it, I had good enough weapons to damage it.

Smoremaster posted:

loving hell, does anyone know if there's a cheat/debug function or a feasible way to edit a character? I just accidentally shift-clicked 82 gold ore into a full furnace and lost all of it because of that bug. Spent like the last 3 hours mining for that poo poo. gently caress.

There's a known dupe glitch by putting an item on the scan slot of the 3d printer and then pressing E. If you have at least one gold you can try it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Smoremaster posted:

There's a dupe bug that will let you dupe any item 1 at a time if you have the patience. Basically, just put the item in the scanner in your 3D Printer then press Esc or E, it will close the window and you'll have one more of that item than you did before. If you have even one gold ore or a bar or something left, you could dupe yourself back to where you were.

e;f,b

Orv
May 4, 2011

nerdz posted:

Does the UFO despawn if you don't kill it quick enough? This one was with two bars left and it just went uuuuuup and never came back. I wasnt even cheesing it, I had good enough weapons to damage it.

It goes away to attack flying creatures. Will be fixed in the next patch.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

It goes away to attack flying creatures. Will be fixed in the next patch.

Welp, I knew I should have waited. At least I know I can easily take on it now.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

nerdz posted:

There's a known dupe glitch by putting an item on the scan slot of the 3d printer and then pressing E. If you have at least one gold you can try it.

A.C. posted:

There's a dupe bug that will let you dupe any item 1 at a time if you have the patience. Basically, just put the item in the scanner in your 3D Printer then press Esc or E, it will close the window and you'll have one more of that item than you did before. If you have even one gold ore or a bar or something left, you could dupe yourself back to where you were.

e;f,b

Phew. I'll try this. Thanks!

DarianX
Mar 18, 2009
I know I'm miles behind you guys at this point, but I just started playing and found myself an Apex complex right near my start of newbie world. All of the sudden my DarianXBot is playing Megaman.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Musluk posted:

I'd also love to see crafted weapons normalized between races

No way, I didn't even know they were going to have differences. That's awesome.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Has the update come out tonight yet?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Musluk posted:

Do you remember the coordinates by any chance? Seems like the tech stuff are pre-determined.

x -94138027 y -55811322

Alpha Sethusk 4668 II b

I don't recall which chest I found it. Either in a chest that's near the bottom of a slope or in a chest in an abandoned facility with a pool of poison beneath it.

I went left from spawn, there's a apex lab along the way, but the planet is only tier 2 so they're not too much of a threat so long as you're geared. Or you can just go right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My favorite patch note is that there's going to be a way to 'cheat' to the max tier which is like 6 tiers ahead of what we have now so we can mess around with space suit jetpacks and mechs and laser miniguns or whatever :allears:

• Locked thread