Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Haven't been in this thread since the game launched. Sup.

Anyway, I'm working on a race mod. I have only the vaguest idea on how to do the modding part, but I've got some concepts done at least!

Bug People/Rome and a little Greece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks!

Their architecture and furniture is definitely "decadent", with marble slabs and lots of intricate carvings and statuary. I've been trying to come up with a racial ability while I sketch out some other ideas, but updates and have some of my ideas obsolete. I was going to give them a higher jump, but Apex take care of that with their racial. "Bioluminescence" was another idea, but wearable lights saw to that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Spin their own silk with which to make bandages/other things, maybe? It'd be tricky, but I bet you could do it. Definitely could make an acid spit attack.

It could even be something simple like a "carapace" thing, where if you've got a full set equipped, you get an armor bonus.

But that's later, want to get this art done at the very least.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Superstring posted:

I got curious about what was beneath the lava in a planet's core, so I started a long dirt tunnel down it. Turns out the screen stops scrolling after a while. Here's my Floran looking at the hole to the end of the world, getting ready to jump in. For science!

When you jump in, you don't even get a lava debuff, you just instantly die. Oh well!

I did that a few updates ago. I got stuck in an infinite falling loop, and when I pierced the wall to let lava in to kill myself, it shot up like a fountain due to pressure, I assume. It was pretty neat.

Rhjamiz posted:

Needs more ant butts! Ants are most appropriate for digging, anyway. :v:

But good bug race. Now I have to actually agonize over my choice of bug race.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a reliable way to add attachments like ant butts or tails or wings or whatever, outside of back items.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man Tiles are loving me up.

I'm trying to get a sense for how big exactly they are and how they'd fit together, but I can't figure out what makes them change when they get put next to each other. I have a feeling it has something to do with the mostly empty boxes in the image file. I want my concepts for this bug-race furniture and tile business to be to scale.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Modding in entire sets of weapons becomes much easier when you realize that shortswords are literally just smaller versions of 2h swords with no variation except for length.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You know what's fun?

Designing armor is fun.

E: 10 tiers of armor for my bug race dudes is what that is.

I probably won't be making tiles and furniture for a bit, it'll probably just be the weapons next and then I'll start figuring out how to add these dudes to the game proper. I've seen race mods, I know it can be done.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 16, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starbong

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Took a peek in the "races" section of the mod forums and there's already like 3 homestuck mods

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's a bug race in there that's pretty neat, but it's much like basically every other race mod where there's not a lot to it outside of a few weird hairs and a ship. A lot of these mods break the game's aesthetic pretty hard. Either (comparatively) strange proportions or excessive detail.

Verranicus posted:

Sounds like a section to avoid, then.

You're not missing much, and I don't mean that in a "these mods are terrible" sense. It's all just "human tech and culture but with Kangaroo People" at the moment. Give it a while for people to flesh items and poo poo out.

2 Track EP posted:

Don't forget the fact that two of the top-rated races are Catgirls and My Little Ponies :suicide:

Just now I spotted two "elf" mods, two pony mods, a rat-people, a bug-people, a kangaroo-people, a wolf-people, a cat-people, a bear-people and this:

E: Not hating on Greys, by the way. Greys own.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that was one of the smaller issues people were talking about before the beta hit, the lack of being able to skip the startup sequence. At least you can move around your ship.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think it's be sweet as hell if you had to build/find refueling stations every other sector or so.

E: Is anyone able to download anything from the Starbound Mod Forums? It's been throwing up errors for me all day.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat it feels good to be a gangster.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Yeah they're grumpy looking as gently caress ^^^

I know how to edit the names, I just haven't yet, so I'll be adding in stuff for randomized names.

There's nothing to these guys right now, sadly. No dungeons or furniture, they don't even have their own ship. Armor's all designed out and ready but I have to make the animations still, and I haven't even started on weapons. But they work, damnit. It's a start!

I can't figure out why some things are recoloring and some things aren't. The horns recolor as the hair, even though they're supposed to match the carapace color. And the "hair" doesn't change at all. I've also got to fix some weird shading issues with the bodies. They're pretty flat right now.

The eyes work though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Wait, so any modded races you add just get stuffed into that little side window and don't mess with the pre-existing UI? Huh, I may need to grab some of the cooler ones now.

Yeah, as mentioned, it's a mod. And you still have to go into some files and edit them if you want more than one race to show up at a time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The other way would have been to not give several of the more interesting aspects of Human culture to other races, making them all "human" in a mostly significant sense, but I guess this way was easier.

E: Dug into an underground layer once and all the background tiles were bricks and the little pixel-filled capsules were tiny houses.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Does anyone know anything about recolorable objects? I'm trying to make parts on my bug dudes recolorable but they just won't.

I get that they have to be specific colors, like the "body color" part is supposed to be that orange color. That bit works. But I'm digging through all of the files for hair and other separately recolorable bits and they're this tan color. Even when I sample those colors directly they won't work when I boot up Starbound and try and change their colors in the character generator.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Does anyone know anything about recolorable objects? I'm trying to make parts on my bug dudes recolorable but they just won't.

I get that they have to be specific colors, like the "body color" part is supposed to be that orange color. That bit works. But I'm digging through all of the files for hair and other separately recolorable bits and they're this tan color. Even when I sample those colors directly they won't work when I boot up Starbound and try and change their colors in the character generator.

Think I figured it out, I'll make a new post with a how-to if I'm right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've seen a set of tactical dreadnaught armor modded in, but I didn't save the picture set. It's been done though.

Also I figured out the recolor thing. drat it feels good etc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fred Dawes posted:

Want to learn how to mod Starbound? Here is a helpful Steam guide to help you get started.

I'm also getting the hang of this whole "adding an entire race" bit so I should be able to answer some questions of anyone has any.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Well, there ya' go ^^^

dog kisser posted:

Have you figured out how to add outposts of your modded species, and if so whether you can tie it to biome? We really need a snow-adapted species!

(and i want to try to make one oh god)

I haven't messed with that area yet (I will have to eventually, though) but I have an idea on how it works. It's the same way you make dropships and other dungeon stuff, though I'm not sure you even can tie stuff to biomes at the moment.

You can tie them to planets, though, I assume, since I don't generally see Igloos anywhere but Snow Planets.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Running into an interesting error. It's super vague and stupid, but I think I know when it's triggering.

You can mess around with my custom race in the character creator, but when you go to start the game as them, Starbound crashes and gives me one of these bad boys:

It saves the character though, so when you go back into the game, the character you made is present and you can start with them just fine. Go to the dropship, gets tools, beam down, quests, etc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You know, I've read I should just ignore the popup and read the crash log before, but I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't just do that. Maybe I'm fuckin' dumb.

Apparently the problem is it can't load the intro cinematic, the ones that don't even work yet. But it's looking for it! Thanks.

E: Aaaand it works now, cool beans.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Got a couple of hairstyles and the color customization fixed and working.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That'd be sweet but I don't think they'd do anything like that. I'd be happy just to get these dudes up to the standard of the other races at this point. Tiles are going to be a bitch, furniture also.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like how after a certain point, the ship just gets a bunch of rooms you can't even access because there's no holes or doors.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dog kisser posted:

So, uh, planning to make a complete tutorial on how to get this all working in game for a theoretical someone making a race?

If, by the time I finish up my custom race to the point where I'm satisfied with it, no one has made a proper race tutorial, I would be happy to do so. Until then, feel free to ask my any questions and I'll answer it if I can!

Smoremaster posted:

To all you modders,

I started working on a custom race, and based it on humans as a template. I got it showing up in the character creation screen, and I can successfully make a character of my new race (which at the moment is mostly just human except for a few variations), but I can't get the skin color to work properly. Whenever I try to modify the colors of the skin tones it defaults to the generic skin tone. I even tried copying over color values from hylotl and avian to see if that would give me interesting colors, but it still only shows one skin tone, the default. I'm editing the "bodyColor" field in the .species file for my race. Is there something else I need to change, or am I doing something wrong?

I was scrolling quickly but I didn't see an answer to this, and it's something I spent several hours loving around with yesterday. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but my internet cut out and I didn't see this.

This is what you're editing, right?

Okay, as you can see, mine has a few extras compared to the other races. Behind the comment section up top is "shell", that's just so I can remember what that area of the body is called. You'll also see:

primary : light : medium : dark

Those are your important columns. These determine what colors get replaced with what other colors. By default, if you copy the skin tones from the humans, you should be set as far as body color goes, but I'll go into a little more detail here in case you want to mess around with it further or your problem doesn't go away.

Basically, in each column, you have a Hex value before the comma, and one after. You'll notice the value after the comma is the same in every row, that's because that is the color you'll be overwriting. So you'll want to do a little something like this:

For each color, find the hex value you want to overwrite and replace whatever in that row (after the comma) with it, and do that for every row. The first part of the comma is the new color, so for my third row "light blue", I would be using this:

Go through and do all that for every color. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and it takes forever, but whatever. You can usually just copy values from one of the other races.

If that doesn't solve your problem, if you want, you can send me the file and I'll mess around with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Do they ever respawn?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No problem. There no real documentation on it, and at the time I couldn't find anything through google, so if I find anything else out, I'll add to it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Should I post my bug dudes on the forums?

It's got nothing to it right now, but poo poo, neither do half of the other race mods.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also, be aware that while there may only be a few more forced wipes, every once in a while they'll suggest you make a new character anyway or you won't have access to some new features.

I haven't even played in like a week, since there's nothing to do for half the tiers and the primary thing I like doing (building bases) isn't going to matter until the next update when you can just teleport right to it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've also seen at least one mod that lets you craft your race-specific furniture from the start.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think I've gone too far.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was debating that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zereth posted:

They would've painted their buildings/statues too.

Their paint burns up upon reentry.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks guys. I'll probably get around to tidying up some of the stuff that's bothering me RE: shading and stuff tomorrow. That thing's all I've been doing all day and I just want to do something else.

Tomorrow I'll probably get all their clothes in and begin on armor, maybe.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Yeah I'm going to need that file merging business. I'm super psyched out modding these guys in, haven't lost my steam yet, but the real tedious stuff is coming up soon. Also I can edit color values tomorrow, I'll make a note of that and see how lighter looks tomorrow.

I usually stick with Vanilla-ish with my games, too. I don't install anything that feels too "cheat"-ey or changes the way the game actually plays too drastically. Mostly just content stuff for me.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Outstanding work. Are the devs aware of your work? They should be.

If they still read this thread (probably not likely?) then yeah they might be, otherwise the only other place I post these pictures is tumblr. I haven't even signed into the forums except to download reference mods. I'll probably post there eventually, but I want these guys to be more feature-complete first.

VVV Thanks! VVV

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 19, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Writing the Glitch should be easy. Just be plain and factual, really get Wikipedia with it, and then put whatever emotion you need at the beginning.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mantizi are probably going have...

Sort of an... exaggerated Shatner-esque dialect. Short, simple - nay, descriptive. Spoken word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've seen all of Rome and regard Spartacus as one of the greatest television shows to ever exist.

• Locked thread