Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Didn't see it covered in the OP but is it possible to change your respawn location? A world I started on had a badass monkey lab but it's a 3-4 minute run to reach from the beam down location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Anyone found worthwhile gear shops? I'm only into the Beta quadrant but the avian town I found had a dozen shops probably but all of the stuff they sold was maybe steel quality or worse. Unless the stuff like brick on a stick prime is really powerful once made?

e:

Denzine posted:

Animals are not "harm on touch", they are "harm on touch when attack is active" which is a pretty small difference since they instantly see you when you are within a set distance of them and not blocked by terrain and then instantly begin attacking.

Get a shield, blocking their attack makes them nondamaging until they fire it off again.

I've yet to see a shield block enemy melee attacks.

Glitches with shields have no problem blocking everything you throw at them though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 8, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Weapon shops in town are directly associated with the threat level. Nothing will have a higher pen then the threat level and damage and speed are calculatedly somewhat differently. All the blue prints you see are just that races weapons, stuff you'd see if you were a Avian, in that case, off that appropriate tier.

Crafted weapons all suck.

Rush the highest threat world you can find, run around and find a town and buy a high level weapon. That'll be the best you can buy at that tier. Then maybe murder some guards and play weapon roulette, as you might find something better.

I did that some and ended up with a 19 pen, 0.64 speed, 64 dmg 2handed sword and a 21 pen, 2.68 speed, 11dmg poison 2 handed axe. The axe does more damage to high threat level enemies than the sword does. :psyduck:

Both are still kind of lovely against threat 18-20 world enemies though. The steel hunting bow sucks for hunting anything on an 11+ as well it seems.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Genocyber posted:

In the current system, Armor Penetration is literally the most important stat since the higher it is compared to the enemy's level the higher boost its damage receives, and vice versa.

Noticed that earlier on, it's kind of silly.

Went to a diff 20 world, found some avians, killed them all after walling in guards. Got a shitload of weapons, the best two are a 25/19.8/18 and 25/0.74/48 pair of 2 handed hammers. The 2nd one almost one-shots the guards. Not as much range as I had with a 2handed sword but I imagine the slow one should blow away most things well enough. :cheers:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I think I just went about 2500 tiles up from the surface on a moon and still didn't hit asteroids. Had to give up when the cold was so bad that even with th snow infantry gear I needed a campfire and torch's combined heat to stay at +1 warmth. Are asteroids not in the beta systems either or are they just really goddamn high up?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Above Our Own posted:

Anyone have a TL40 planet with Gun Sellers?

Same question here but for TL20.

And do enemies ever drop guns or is it just certain races?

maketakunai posted:

Shields absolutely block melee attacks just fine, I run around planets with a shield out and just hit block right before I walk through enemies :)

There must be hidden stats for them then. I tried a shield from a TL20 planet and it blocked stuff in the Alpha sector but on a TL20 planet enemies hit me right through it. Maybe for reduced damage but I still died in one hit because yeah, the armor progression is rough when you have snow infantry gear and can't find/make anything better. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Not if it's as bad as the randomly generated weapons :v:

Anyway I'm hopeful for this game. As cool as many of the features were in terraria remember that the bunch of them weren't even in on release. As far as features go beta Starbound is way further along than terraria's original release was (wasn't the jungle added after?). The most unfun thing is the difficulty curve which is being fixed.

The randomly generated weapons that drop from guards and USCM prisoners on TL20 planets were pretty fantastic. Lot of 24-25 penetration stuff. Getting a weapon with 25/1.05/40 for its stats meant one-shotting everything other than the occasional guard on a TL20 planet, while doing 150-200 damage per hit to the Tier2 boss.

I'd take armor of a similar 'badness' in a heartbeat. Right now you get snow infantry gear and then hope you can find a fuckton of gold, and later platinum/titanium to make the knight armor (or w/e else non-glitch get). I killed some avians on a TL30 planet and got a 34 penetration weapon a bit ago, it murders things wonderfully. Maybe when things like even gold aren't rare as hell on TL20 planets then ok. If i could get a good 2handed sword every tier I'd be a happy murderbot. Nothing as fun as a giant, long-reaching overhand swing that does shitloads of damage even if it's a 0.45 attack speed.

Either way, bring on the random armor drops/sales in towns.

Pakled posted:

Not to presume things about how other people play the game, but I think maybe some people who are saying that spelunking is unsatisfying haven't tried digging deeper. Starbound does have fuckhuge cave systems with neat treasure and ores and stuff inside of them, but unlike Terraria, they rarely seem to be linked to the holes in the surface. I think the game would be better if you didn't *always* have to dig to reach the interesting underground parts. So people check caves linked to the surface, find nothing of interest, and assume the underground is barren. Fortunately, the system Tiy was talking about earlier of making harder monsters and better loot spawn deeper underground will incentiveise digging more.

Last night a cave my group found went about 80% of the way to the core of the planet, and digging slightly at the bottom connected to another cave system that did hit the bottom. We spent probably 2 hours slowly crawling through it and the only thing in terraria that comes close to the complexity is a large world dungeon or maybe a lucky jungle setup. The cave system in this game is amazing. One section even switched to cobble stone and some semi-damaged pillars. Sadly it wasn't some ancient ruined keep but it looked sorta like it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Delaio posted:

I did the same thing and lost 1500+ fabric. And I thought I was set on bandages for life (until reset anyway). A 30 second timer is not enough when I've just accidentally destroyed 6+ chests with my awesome bone club thing that shoots more bones.

You don't use fabric to make bandages, they're make straight from the plant fibers though.

Steam active users info posted:

Current Players | Peak Today | Game

253,797 | 547,638 | Dota 2
57,059 | 84,928 | Starbound

there's more people regularly logged in to Starbound than Counterstrike. Will be curious to see if there's numbers given in a month for units sold while it's still in beta.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Underwhelmed posted:

Dude, I was being sarcastic. How in the hell would a league in this game even work? Relax.

How? Easy. Starbound's newest feature: Dwarf Floran Fortress mode. :getin:

e: People that have found mechs need to add it to the google doc in the OP. The only one listed there is noted as being bad coordinates. I'm on a mission to find a mech. Ideally before the X sector unless it's restricted to that. :(

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 10, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So what's the most people that've gotten on to a server so far? Getting a group of a dozen+ people and starting fresh after a wipe could be interesting.

comaerror posted:

Starbound: Become a space viking today.

Statement: Welcome to the Glitch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oneiros posted:

Are you seriously arguing that because people can use cheats to get whatever they want that the devs should balance the actual game against that?

Why not? That's what the developers of Dungeon Defenders did and look how well balanced Nightmare difficulty and the DLC turned out.
Both are loving garbage and you should never touch either if you like Dungeon Defenders.

This is a dumb argument.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Aug posted:

For fuel: build a giant tower to space and then mine plutonium. Pre - patch it was like 6 fuel per ore or something.

How many thousands of blocks do you need to reach asteroids? I gave up when on a moon I went up around 2200 blocks and still nothing, except the super cold temps that killed you in 5 seconds unless you placed campfires and torches every few spaces.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Does anyone get a memory access error when quitting starbound, and clicking ok on the popup just makes it popup again and you have to force kill the process in task manager?

Vib Rib posted:

If your complaint is that it takes too long, when "grinding" for coal will only cost you maybe two or three minutes for a full interstellar trip, how in the world is offering an even less effective alternative addressing your problem?

This is bullshit. you do not find hundreds of coal in only a couple minutes unless you are absurdly lucky. Even running a lap of my starting world didn't have 100 pieces of coal visible along the surface, yet people speak like it's all over the drat place. Digging and exploring the world for a couple hours got me around 150 pieces. I had around 250 iron, 180 silver, 60 platinum, and 15 diamond. On a starting world.

I know ore is hosed up atm and is over abundant but I'm going to mod the fuel sources in my game if it turns in to Coal Mine Simulator 2013 when I spend an hour or two finding coal just to move to another system.

Maybe if/when we can use stuff like Tar to make fuel it'll be ok. I had over 2k pieces of Tar until I made a lava subway along a large section of my starting planet. I'd much rather be able to convert that (and someone mentioned petroleum?) in to fuel.

But really, ships need an ability to make solar paneling or some other slow charge method. Let fuel be for when you are doing a lot of interstellar movement in a (several?) hour period. It'd be a huge help for sure.

Mondlicht posted:

Still on my first starter planet, I just keep digging down and.. where am I? What will I find? Probably death.

edit: Mining the bricks gives me "smooth tomb brick." Yeah, definitely death down here.

Zombie Bulbasaur is waiting for you down to your right.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Considering to get numerous amounts of it requires building a 5000 tile tower or going to fourth tier planets, I'm not sure why you are expecting people to be fine with spending a lot of time underground to get coal. I don't care if the final build requires 5-10 total wood or 10-20 plant fiber for one fuel unit, just give people multiple viable ways to do things and use (lack of) efficiency to balance it.

Don't forget the dozens/hundreds of campfires you need to make to not freeze to death along the way up that tower.

Plus unless asteroids have an obscene amount of the fuel in them it's likely not worth the time to try and do it is it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Gamma (35699741,-28930981) VII Arid Moon has THREE techs on it. All are to the left. One is in the actual dungeon, two are just on the outside. When you first hear the buzz of electricity, start digging down and follow the contour of the base, you should find two chests outside the walls. I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but it's worth it.

Delta (35699502,-28930822) Majoris II desert has another tech, really close to spawn, just off to the left, on the surface. It's hard to miss.

Time to log on and see what my 13,000DPS titanium weapon got changed to.
Edit: bolding for clarity

Add it to the google doc in the OP if you haven't.

e:

gobbledygoat posted:

This poo poo is stuff they should have worked out in alpha, or even before hand. The fact that they have to redo the entire damage formula while the gmae is up on steam for 15 bucks is pretty telling of how much forethought they've put into this piece of poo poo.

This is some gamers.txt poo poo right here. Tweaking combat formulas does occur in betas. This is an actual beta phase, not a 'beta' where you're actually downloading a more or less finished product's demo.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 11, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

gobbledygoat posted:

Goons pay 15 bucks for a broken piece of poo poo, justify purchase by pretending it's okay that they're charging for an alpha.

Look I know Tiy held a gun to your head and made you buy a game that's still in development, but you'll be ok. Just stop playing until it's more developed. You can use the time to read up on what "Steam Early Access" means.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I hope that, whether by mod or by dev, there's a Labyrinth planet type. Not biome, but an entire planet that's just one giant labyrinth to wander/dig through full of enemies, treasures, and an evil Penguin driving a Minotaur Mecha.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What's the earliest someone's found a mech? I've only heard people mention X sectors so far. Surely it's hidden somewhere in the Alpha/Beta sectors too and my searches are not in vain. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I look forward to when they have shield sshow their stats. When you find 4 shields you should not need to do some suicidal trial and error to learn which might be better/suck less than the others. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

If you're using shields then you aren't using 2H weapons and if you aren't using 2H weapons you're a busta. Get on the :black101: train, son.

Oh I have a 34 damage hammer and a nice 2h sword as well but going through a Beta system USCM base with a shield and sword, blocking everything and killing stuff as it charges you is handy too when you have a useful shield. Otherwise all those gunners can eventually become a a problem.

Found an avian ship selling guns. Their damage kind of sucks though and I'm not sure how viable they are at all. It probably doesn't help that shop items tend to be pretty god awful while enemy drops can be a decent bit better than crafted and far better than shop items.

Is there any way to tell if a planet in the sector is easy/medium/hard, assuming that has any effect of the quality of items sold/dropped there?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Once the X sector opens it's so worth the hassle of going to difficulty 10 planets and finding a civilization to barter with/murder. Found a USCM one, first guy eventually died to a lot of kiting and dropped a one hander that did a respectable 1200ish DPS, a few kills later netted me a hammer that has about a 0.50 swing speed, wind element, and does 4430 damage per swing.

It still can't one-shot a lot of enemies, guards take 3-4 whacks to drop. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I fired off my hammer and demolished a good portion of my ship decorations and craft stations. :cripes:

The ship honestly needs a toggle to lock everything in place. Especially since someone in multiplayer could gently caress up your stuff pretty easily, in addition to the actual mistakes that occur. When I warp back to my ship I end up switching to something like my stone axe since those errant misclicks can break poo poo, and with containers that can mean having items despawn if i can't pick them up fast enough, or one-shot the extremely fragile NPCs.

GruntyThrst posted:

Goddammit game! Drop a gun! I am not killing this loving dragon with a bow!

Find a :frog: merchant and use bombs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I keep getting a bug where my UI completely vanishes and I cannot figre out how to get it to come back up unless I close the client completely. Anyone else ever get this? :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If you can find a settlement of some kind the guards will drop weapons that can end up better than crafted gear early on, or could. It seems like the higher the tiers go the better crafted gear gets. The Impervium Hammer is overall better than any hammer I've seen drop so far.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The most important mod we could get is one that lets more than 1 tech be used together at the same time.

Or is the current limit something Chucklefish intends to remove at some point? Given that they all use energy it's not like dash and double jump being usable together is going to break the game. Mechs will still be garbage with their energy drain and wimpy guns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shoehead posted:

poo poo yeah there has. Don't let Curse run poo poo for you and don't let people monetize their lovely girlfriend mods.

There are/were still people who didn't know this? Curse's name is far too fitting for it to be a coincidence. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

boo_radley posted:

Check out gnomoria. It's good fun.

Seconding this. Gnomoria is good and has always been better than Towns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

Fer serious though, I'm not getting why Starbound, which has updated p frequently since it released on Steam, and has devs who've been pretty talkative, has all these people whingeing about their :10bux: getting stolen whereas something like KSP, which has been in alpha for longer than Starbound has even been in development, gets almost uniform praise. I mean, I have my own issues with Starbound, but those are with actual design choices, not like, me thinking I've been lied to about what the game is like.

EDIT: Is it that a lot of them don't know how to opt into Steam betas?

It's because gamers are the most self-entitled shits imaginable and makes anyone turn in to a noise machine best ignored. Only worked 80 hours a week on average for a month and the game's still delayed? gently caress YOU GET BACK IN THAT OFFICE AND MAKE THE GAME YOU SLACKERS WHY ARE YOU DOING X WHEN X IS SO EASY gently caress YOU YOU SUCK ARGH GIVE ME GAME NOW.

When Warhammer Online came out and they didn't have an official forum I thought maybe it was because they realized making one would just result in a cesspool of terrible that they'd have to waste time and resources moderating. The worst part is that in the sea of poo poo that is the Starbound (and most other games') forums, there's the occasional good post worth reading and an idea that may have some merit.

Section Z posted:

And just think, this is Beta Phase ONE. Out of an announced ahead of time before you gave them your money Three phases. Please keep your hands inside the ride at all times, as the roller coaster passes by the ravenous fans who overlooked such.

On that note, has Chucklefish sent out emails asking people to please buy their "Less than fifty left!" $500 solid gold Player Character bundles? Wait, no, that was Mechwarrior online. I miss the time when the amount of enjoyment was greater than the amount of insanity floating around that game, I completely missed whatever SA drama bomb hurled the SA MWO thread into GBS. I somehow doubt there will be such an explosion in Starbound's case.

Cum guns and Bird Tits.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 18, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure the first amendment only applies to the government and/or public spaces in any case. A private business in a private forum can do whatever the gently caress they want.

People still use it as an argument for why they shouldn't be banned from MMOs and those people are idiots. GMs don't give two-shits about your irrelevant First Amendment rights on their privately-owned systems and you've got as much chance at winning the lottery as you do of convincing a GM that you breaking the rules is actually ok because :911: First Amendment :911:

OwlFancier posted:

You can't remove the troublemakers, not from the community in general, anyway, they'll just move onto another forum or reddit or something.

But you can certainly create a space which abides by the rules you set. I guess the decision comes down to whether the official forums are there to cater to the entire community, including the idiots, or whether they're there to enforce what the officially sanctioned section of the community should be.

Personally I'd stand on the side of enforcement but it's obviously up to whoever dictates policy.

From a business perspective how those other sites operate is irrelevant. Aside from the fact that Reddit's a shithole and impossible to moderate effectively as its the site that defends :pedophiles:, Chucklefish really only needs to concern itself with how the community acts on their forums because they don't have any authority or control over 3rd party sites and how they operate. On their own forum I'd personally advocate my "fist of an angry god" method of dealing with assholes.

President Ark posted:

You are never going to write a set of comprehensive rules that will stop people being shitlords. Even if you forbid literally all actions except posting one of three pre-written sentences, people will figure out how to be a dick with it.

This is why MMOs use very broad EULAs. If you're someone that needs to be dealt with a GM can use their discretion via said EULA to smack you down and if you get escalated and a supervisor/senior/manager/whatever agrees with the original GM you're out of luck regardless of any way you may hope to twist the wording to protect your actions. We use terms like "this list is not all inclusive" precisely because it lets us smack down shitlords who come back with "well I did X and X is not explicitly listed as being against the rules :smuggo:" and point them to those kinds of lines so they could reflect on it during their bans.

mollygos posted:

She does make it difficult. Right now she's being a puppyloaf right next to my chair and it's hard to stop looking at her and say "daawwww".

Far too many treats. Rosie is spoiled as gently caress and she doesn't even do any work. UPDATE WHEN, ROSIE?

That puppy. :kimchi:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Party Alarm posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/glitch-ship-ai-feedback.80652/

Please vote in this goddamn thread so Chucklefish knows we love the horse

It looks like I actually have a forum account. Thread's locked already though. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So playing again some today and noticed the grappling hook uses energy. It also seems that using two grappling hooks at the same time is just an exercise in futility (probably due to said annoying energy usage).

As neat as it is to be able to fling yourself like a trebuchet stone, are there any mods that make the grappling hook more useful? Aside from the flinging ability, the grappling hook in Starbound just seems so lacking compared to Terraria. The Vine Whip (and dual hookshot) spoiled me forever. :(

Alternately: where the hell can I find the anti-grav tech? I had it a few builds ago but I have no idea where it was.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Comments under the article are probably the real reason he left. If he has a family the last thing he needs is some crazy gently caress stalking his family because he didn't hit the stalker's personal deadline set as dictated by the :10bux: given for a pre-order.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AceClown posted:

Don't update Agarian Skies if you have any kind of infrastructure already in place.

I did and all my quests got messed up, there is a massive overhaul to the quests now so the rewards are smaller and you have to submit lesser amounts before it opens up the large amounts stuff.

Also I cannot get the quest to visit the nether to work whatever I try.

Wow, completley the wrong thread, serves me right for posting after a 15 hour shift..

Jerk, I thought Starbound had added quests in the time since I last played. :mad:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

If you think robot wizard is going to be literally anything but robot wizard jokes the whole time, you are sorely mistaken.

Robots?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzKAZODy2c#t=6m47s

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Babyface Mingo posted:

Cause there's that other game that looks like a oldschool zelda game but doesn't look really lazy and poo poo?

The important question is when Stardew Valley will be finished and up for sale? It looks like a 4 player SNES Harvest Moon and I'm completely down with that kind of game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mollygos posted:

Yeah, we have been rebalancing the ore distribution a lot and changing a lot of things to prepare for progression. We had another meeting yesterday about progression, and things are shaping up to be pretty fun I think! I'm excited to get the outposts fully fleshed out.

THX FOR THIS I always like finding new pixel art tutorials.

OH W8 there are actually not any pixel art tutorials in here as far as I can tell whoops. WHOOPS.

A suggestion for rebalancing:
Morph Ball's bombs

What about it and why? Right now you can curl in to a ball and drop bombs as fast as you can click the button. In a recent game where I was playing with a few friends we spawned the dragon and they were jumping around fighting it, dying and slowly chipping away at its health...

Then I went up in the air, made a wooden platform, turned in to a ball, and literally poo poo damage all over it. Bombs doing 50 or so damage per hit, and dropping as fast as I could click, meant the dragon went from about 90% to 0% in maybe 4-5 seconds, probably less. It's a very niche use for it (and the only really good use I've found other than rolling down giant ramps) but if you find morph ball on an alpha world like I did it can let you cheese probably every boss. I do wish you could jump when you use it though. At a glance I'd suggest making the ball itself not use energy and make the energy consumption come from dropping bombs and maybe jumping. Aside from the boss murder it's not worth using though. :(

e: Correction: Aside from boss murder and killing your friends instantly (because bombs always hurt them but not you:devil:), the morph ball isn't very good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Do guns not suck compared to melee weapons yet?

I found a rocket launcher that does about 4k damage and it's handy. Came from a threat 10 asteroid field, which are just full of little bases which always have a gun in a cabinet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BUTTERWORBS posted:

thank god, wouldn't want to slow down this bullet train lmao

This but unironically.

People getting mad because devs don't constantly give updates are better off ignored. Or to put it in indiegamers.txt form: Actual investors don't do this poo poo because they have the mental capacity to know that if they trust a company with their money, they also trust the competency of those running the place and don't loom over them as a giant loving distraction. If these people want to act like they're owed something, similar to the idiots to act like their kickstarter backing makes them an investor, then have some faith in the company. Tiy, Molly, and co have earned that much. It's not like you're still waiting on a working build nearly a year later after having given them money.

Scratch-O posted:

As the controller of goon sockpuppet and "community manager" mollygos, I assure you that all dissenters are being taken care of. Long live Goonsquad, the EVE Online empire that this forum was created for

I'm willing to allow Starbound forum dwellers to join us, but only after they make their introduction thread in FYAD.

WarpedNaba posted:

Besides the paedophilia and revenge porn?

There's a reason :pedophiles: :mrapig: :biotruths: and :reddit: exist. Probably others too.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 3, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mutata posted:

You betray a lack of experience working on projects funded by investors.

Oh I'm used to thinks like having info for monthly updates, or weekly if there's been setbacks, but wanting some kind of livejournal of daily progress updates like gamers demand isn't something I've had to experience. Maybe some investors are micromanaging annoyances like that too though. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

Don't want to bum you out or anything here, but knowing a few female game devs myself thanks to a friend, it has all been par for the course. The sheer volume is considerably more because she's a public face on a much bigger project than they work on, but It's the same sort of abuse from the same sorts of people.

She should carry a tazer or whatever self-defense items are allowed In Ye Olde, being stalked and harassed in real life is a loving thing that's going to be a concern.

Female devs get poo poo/creeped on by gamers and whether they're competent or not doesn't matter because "HOLY gently caress A GURL MAKIN MY GAME GIT IN KITCHEN LOLOL" is the pinnacle of comedy to these people. If you really want to get depressed look at how female coplayers get treated at conventions if they wear sexy or revealing costumes.

Devour or Fire posted:

Maybe the would get less heat if they had better PR, or at least somebody who can convince them not to melt down on twitter/reddit when they get really sad.

You know nothing about PR and community relations if you think this. Even when excluding the people who scream loudly because they're extremely passionate about a game, there is no shortage of people just being self-centered assholes and while you can argue for ignoring them. Sometimes a mod really does need to step in, put people in their place, and tell everyone to calm the gently caress down.

The best part about reading video game complaints like those on the Starbound forums it that it shows the people complaining have never worked in the industry and likely haven't coded in any capacity. I loathe coding and find it to be unfun even though getting something to work can feel satisfying things that look simple in a game can be a nightmare, especially if they touch a bunch of other things and could break something else when you tweak it and oh god why are NPCs floating and have no eyes all I did was change this thing over here for a lighting effect. :gonk:

I hope that Stardew Valley is as SNES-era Harvest Moon levels of fun (with co-op!) that it looks like. I already know Starbound's shaping up to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Varinn posted:

Someone made this post awhile back in the thread, and I think it super speaks for the game's biggest weakness atm

It's really fun to find a bizarre weird new biome in Starbound, but when you realize that all you're getting is a different color of sand, or a new ground block, it takes away some of the excitement.

I hope the material spread gets changed around as well because the current set of "every 2 levels a new iron is swapped in" along with the sudden appearance of actual ship fuel makes the start a terrible slog. Then you start unlocking different techs and suddenly you need durasteel or titanium or iron and have to go warping around sectors to find it. I was tempted to make a skyrail until I saw just how much durasteel it required for each piece.

The 3D printer needs to accept more stuff. Including materials. If I want to burn a ton of pixels to print out a mountain of titanium for my skyrail then let me. It's weird to be able to 3D print complex things and not base materials. Plus I always end up with hundreds of diamond and platinum when on high level planets and being able to turn those into pixels and then in to giant piles of low tier materials would be handy as hell.

Arkanomen posted:

Not really. I was hoping with the nightly updates and some opening up of the behinds the scenes some new life would be blown into this dying game but doing something like this shows there is not not will there be any transparency into the development of this game. I had my fun but there's not going to be anything else. I've been lurking the drama around this game in various venues and honestly it's sad. Basically that tweet is the coffin nail for starbound that it now shares with mass effect 3 and Sim City 5. Take the money and run I guess.

I want to believe your just trolling and not this much of a self-important idiot. Your later posts in the thread show that you are, unfortunately, a moron.

Devour or Fire posted:

Wow being a game dev sounds tough.

There's support groups and high burnout rates in the industry because one can only take so many years of dealing with the average gamer before deciding "you know what, gently caress this industry I'm going to go work a less exploited industry, like coal mining." This thread having someone cry because after having spent 100+ hours in the game they haven't seen any updates even though they can get nightly builds with changes in them, is so sad it's funny.

Varinn posted:

I'm really glad that this how this thread responds to any level of criticism against Starbound.

Just because someone out there is being unreasonable about the game doesn't mean people who aren't being unreasonable are any less valid, y'all. Going WOW YOU'RE STARTING TO SOUND A LITTLE LIKE THOSE 4CHAN BABIES every time someone criticizes the game is dumb as hell.

Yes, being unreasonable is less valid than being reasonable. When someone complains "THERE'S NO UPDATES!!!!!:qq:" when they have the option to grav nightly builds, they are being unreasonable and their complaint is less valid than if Tiy said "the next patch is on X date and will have Y feature" with X date coming, the patch being late without explanation, and Y feature not being in it without explanation.

The first complaint should be ignored, or mocked if the person keeps doubling down on stupidity. The second would warrant an explanation and reflect poorly otherwise.

• Locked thread