Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

I have no idea what this person is talking about, there were no Florans in town.

Florans are brutes. While it's just flavour text, she is warning you her husband will wreck your poo poo if you do something stupid.
Imagine super violent cavemen hijacking spaceships and you got Florans. They are the best race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I expect my character to be whiped another 10 times or so. And I will go Floran again and again.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Anyway, I'm working on a race mod. I have only the vaguest idea on how to do the modding part, but I've got some concepts done at least!

Bug People/Rome and a little Greece

Good stuff!
I'm working on a race too. So far I have only made a bunch of sprites(tho I'm pretty proud of my respawn animation, hope it looks good ingame too) and some changes to the script files in the assets folder.
Whatever you learn about making a race, drop the knowlegde in this thread too please. I'm still not sure if I have to mod something outside of assets.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Put my respawn animation for my own race into the floran folder to see how it looks like. Just needs minor fixing. Pretty pleased with it.

But how do I add my race to the game properly? I edited client.config and universe_server.config. What else to config other than files inside folders of assets?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Where's my opt in option to be included in every mod pack, so my mod is on every server and I can use it everywhere?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Something is not right...

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you try for a balance there's always that one shitlord that will force rape fantasies, insane fetishes, or poo poo you don't want mentioned into every thread. He'll become a cancer that begins consuming everything around him and, before you know it, he has a whole army of friends, sockpuppets, and alternate accounts ready to dogpile on anything that seems to be criticizing him. You can't even say "this poo poo makes people uncomfortable loving stop it" or he'll go insane and create massive drama with the potential to shatter forums.
I'm not a mod anywhere and wouldn't want to be, but just out of curiosity: how did you handle the super dumb motherfuckers, who manage to destroy any kind of healthy discussion by making it all about their petty poo poo and whose fulltime job seems to be to occupy a forum? They aren't breaking any rules, but they manage to derail and anger other posters, sometimes to the point that the others, who otherwise would have contributed in a good manner, have to be punished for getting that upset.

I have seen it a bunch of times and it always made me sad. It makes me feel for the person getting upset and the mod, who has to intervene. Is there any way stopping that kind of cancerous poster?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I tried the nightly build again. New character, explored some caves, got mad deep into the planet and picked up sweet ore. Even dodged a bunch of enemies, that became immortal, because they were killed by fire. Which makes them immortal right now.
Anyway, at some point I dropped into a dark abyss by accident and dropped all my ores. gently caress that game. And gently caress everyone, who thinks there should be a death penalty in spacestoneage lego dirtdigging simulations.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Man Whore posted:

People say to switch it to nightly but the last time I did that my starter planet didn't have any vines or plant matter and I got bored trying to dig towards a cave system to find some, Also I died a lot because I couldn't make any bandages or a bow to get food.
I think it puts you on the same starter planet everytime now, with plenty vegetation and a cave entrance to the left close by.
But like Ahundredbux said, your saves get wiped everyday.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
You can give feedback in a chat right now!
http://playstarbound.com/nightly-feedback/

Which means you can tell people combat is bad and have them whiteknight the game for 5 minutes.

edit:
dev response on energy being used for movement and ammo:
"i think that movement and combat sharing an energy pool is positive because it creates a tradeoff between multiple things that are important in combat"
:(

Doggboat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 10, 2014

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

XboxPants posted:

-probably doggboat-
Man, I wouldn't do that.

Also why are you quoting the most boring poo poo, when this happened?
<SeaFishelleWork> kay you know what? gently caress you both, I'm out of here. Neither of you deserve to even LIVE, let alone play a videogame provided to you at a discount loving price. Ungrateful sacks of poo poo.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I don't think we should get hung up on good positioning.
Because this space exploration game wants you to spend most of the time mining resources underground, most fights will happen in lovely caves and there is no good positioning. The only good position is one, where the AI jumps against a wall repeatedly and can't get to you, while you take potshots.

The only thing deep about Starbound's combat is the position it takes place in.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

Am I the only one who couldn't give two shits about the combat in my space and planet exploring block building videogame and mostly want to just poke around planets to see what's up?
No, I'm with you. And there are cool things to find on planets.
But that's not what the game is about. The game is about mining materials. And you have to kill monsters to mine in peace. That is the core of the experience. And that experience sucks.

I don't want to say I don't want to play the game they want to make. Because I don't think they know what they want to make or what they are doing.
I can only hope the next stable build gets a mod, that makes me into a god and I can ravage the universe, say "huh, nice pixel graphics" and delete the game.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I hope all these cool mods get updates too
Birds with cocks.

I played starbound wrong.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

The problem a lot of us modders had with the long update is that, as part of this update, large portions of the code that we used to mod in stuff are being changed, to the point where we may have to go in an basically rewrite everything. So you were kind of stuck between continuing to mod know that you're just giving yourself more work in the long run, or trust in that "preview" they ran on the blog a while back that showed a WIP version of the setup they were going to be using.

E: And yeah, you could try and brute force your way through the nightlies but they're such a loving hassle.
Have they given some kind of timeframe, when their development of the game won't break mods anymore?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

As I said before, what happened to the "multiple paths through the game" they were really pushing before? Now it's just nothing but terrible, linear fetch quests before you see any of the real "meat" of the game.
There are multiple paths: there is the lovely chucklefish path and there are mods.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I'm posting in this thread only to tell people how much this thread sucks and it makes
☐ the thread a better place
☑ I'm gay

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Musluk posted:

so did tiy bow out of the thread because of the shitposts or because of the valid criticism
You know the situation, when someone has their back turned to you and talk to you and you quietly walk away and the other person keeps talking like you were still there?
Kinda like that.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

They kind of abandoned the stable for mouth breathers who whine about updates and stability and stuff, the Nightly gets updated almost nightly and here's the current changelog for it. http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly
hehe being a nosebreather rules :smug:

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I desperately want Starbound to be good and there's something inside me that believes it can still turn around.
Yeah I'm also waiting for a total conversion mod by some modder, who actually knows a bit about game design. It's going to be great!

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
It's just a stable update, they can do that.
It's not complete, finished, well made, fun or good. Just stable.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Not being able to walk backwards grew on me because now I have to position myself properly. It's cool as hell.
This is too meta for me.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Not much changed compared to the last time I played it in a nightly some months ago. Except the cave gen and ore distribution on my starter planet is super poo poo.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Starbound is def more of a game now. Unfortunately most of the good changes are the fixes to things that shouldn't have been like that in the first place. Fighting still sucks.

Anyway, how do I get to that moon mission people are always talking about? Do I get it after I make coffee?

edit: just got killed after having beamed up. Come on.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Is this thread still bad

I bet it's still bad
Thread was alright.
Then the update dropped and some people showed up to tell everyone how bad their taste is and they like the game and one of them bought avatars for other people.

I miss the old times...

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Doing the moon mission a billion times, because I pressed the wrong button at the part, where the hammer dude first appears sure is fun.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

but what I need to ask is, are the lovely quests that I also played back then still in? specifically:
Yes.

I'm too bad to finish the zombie miner mission. How do I turn godmode on? I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

thread is ready to be posted, last call for thread names
Starbound: Emotional ScarWound

• Locked thread