Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Aerdan posted:

If you want fem!Tico, you can play it your own drat self; the rest of us would like to keep our brain cells intact, thanks.

Here's the rub: those of us who have played it ourselves and still want Tico-Tico want to see everyone else's brain cells destroyed :v:

booksnake fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

booksnake posted:

Here's the rub: those of us who have played it ourselves and still want Tico-Tico want to see everyone else's brain cells destroyed :getin:

Honestly I just think Tico-Tico shows the exactly appropriate level of respect for the events of the game. She doesn't give no fucks about what happened to you and makes it pretty clear.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Think you need your eyes checked there, dude. Though I honestly have no idea where you're getting Cumberbatch from either.

Purple blonde is a colour. :colbert:

Seriously though they're both on the same level of generic fanbait, one's for neckbeards and the other's for Tumblrites. It's kind of weird to pretend one is better than the other.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Actually, y'know what? I'm bored of Devil Survivor 2 now. This thread is now for the far better SMT 3: Nocturne.

Update One

The same goes for anything depicted in this LP. Anything posted by dudes that aren't me though? The views and opinions probably reflect on those posters.

Lookin' at you Requisite Law Crew.

If such is the fate of this world, then I shall return it to its mother's womb.
The world must first die, for it to be born again...
That is the only way to salvation, as recorded in an ancient prophecy.

But, I don't want you to meet the same fate. I want to help you hold on to your life.
To do so, I need to know your name. Will you tell me who you are...?

Naoki Kashima's one of two possibilities that are the closest thing there is to a canon name. It comes from a drama CD and is the name I would expect more people to recognise. The alternative would be Shin Managi from the light novel Nocturne Konton which probably isn't that great and not a lot of people would recognise anyway. Also it looks dumber, so there's that.

Hito's just short for "Hitoshura." Makes more sense than Demi. If y'got anything better, feel free to suggest it. I'll probably ignore it though unless it's really good.

As of now, your will to live shall be sustained. Believe in it...and live.
I will.

Much like every other SMT protagoist, Naoki here speaks exclusively through dialogue choices. Can assume that whenever he pops up, it's thanks to that.

I'm glad that you understand. The time is near...it will take place very soon.
I am the nurturer of the next world.

Now, I want you to say my name out loud.

Yuko Takao's the default name. For every name input from this point onwards, we'll be running with the defaults. No exceptions.

...Naoki. I won't shed another tear, not even at the world's end. I'd like to see you in the next world though...
Go ahead and wake up. It's time...

Please do not rush onto the train. The door is now closing.

Man, this might just be the first time I've seen an RPG protagonist who looks both like a regular person and also like something who does real exercise.

You haven't forgotten that we're going to visit Ms. Takao, have you?
Hurry up and get over to Yoyogi Park. You're wasting my quality time!

> It's from your classmate.

Oh yeah, you better make sure you look nice for her.
How about the jacket you bought the other day... Y'know, the one with a demon graphic on it?
You're just the mood maker. Don't forget that.

Sadly, we can't put on any different jacket right now. We can however move around at this point albeit not very far.

If we tried to continue, this dude'd stop us so let's willingly talk to him instead.

EMPLOYEE: After that incident, we've had a lot of lookee-loos, but not so many customers.
EMPLOYEE: Man, I've had a lot of free time on my hands...
EMPLOYEE: ...Huh? Are you saying that you haven't heard the news?
What's going on?

EMPLOYEE: If you want the details, you can check the giant screen.
EMPLOYEE: A buncha people were killed. You could hear the sirens wailing all night long.
EMPLOYEE: I'm sorry about that...I shouldn't be talking on the job, even if I'm not busy...

There's nothing much else going on here, so let's just leave.

Oh, right, there's a vending machine I could've gotten an item from but I forgot about it. So, uh, oops? :v:

Ah, good ol' classic SMT world maps. Quite the far cry from the menu based navigation we've come to know, isn't it? The blue circle-and-triangle is us. Green ones are NPCs. Let's talk to the one directly above us, shall we?

YOUNG OFFICER: We ask for your co-operation.

Looks like we've found the park where we're meant to meet up with our buddy already. Let's not head there JUUUUST yet, though.

We've got a news report to check out first. That guy at the train station
did mention it after all.

The demonstration got out of hand, and there have been several deaths and injuries reported.

Stay tuned to see what the weather forecast has planned.

> The news continues...

Okay, I think that's enough messing around. Let's go to the park already.

I won't be able to get a single picture of the scene... Just my luck.

What happened here
Well, this is what they said on TV: 'The clash between a well-known company and a civic organization results in deaths'...
But, those who live on the fringe say...

> Your cell phone started to ring.

...Huh? Isn't that your phone ringing?

*sigh* I finally got a hold of you. What have you been doing all this time?
I could see if it was Isamu, but you're never late. Did something happen?

Well, since you didn't show up on time, Isamu and I left without you... We're almost there.
So yeah, I'm sorry, but can you come directly to the hospital?

Just go east from Shinjuku Station, and you can't miss it.
Oh well.
I wanted to talk to Ms. Takao about what I should do after graduation anyway.
I'll be there ASAP.
Thanks, I'm not planning on staying there long.
Okay then, see you later.

> Chiaki hung up.

...That's where I'm headed, too. What a coincidence.

You don't know what happened here, right?
Then, you probably don't know what kind of place that hospital is, either.

You wouldn't normally associate a hospital with the occult, but...
That place is different.
...Heheh.
False info is pretty common in the occult industry. If it does turn out to be wrong, just laugh it off, okay? Well, I'd better get going.

We'll head right to the hospital. Might as well. No point in sticking around here.

Though on the way there, we run into this guy.

YOUNG MAN: He had a sword on his back, and looked dangerous!
YOUNG MAN: But, I swear I've seen him before... Hmmm...

So, yeah, if you know anything about this game then it's probably who this kid is referencing!

But, no matter, let's head on in to the hospital.

Unlike with the park, we're not immediately thrown into a cutscene. But it doesn't really matter since we get it as soon as we approach the obvious lady just up ahead anyway.

You know, this hospital... It's a little strange.

Look, even the reception desk is empty.
Isn't it creepy here? I don't like it...

He hasn't come back yet, though. He'd better not be off fooling around.
...Hey, what's that magazine?
Do you want to read it?
Knowing your taste, it probably wouldn't interest me.

...Not that that stops her taking it anyway. Oh, Chiaki~.

...Well, I guess it might help me kill some time.
Naoki, can you go look for Isamu?
If we can't find Ms. Takao, then I don't wanna stay here another minute.

I'll wait here.
...Oh yeah, let me borrow this magazine. Thanks!

We have two ways of getting up to the second floor, and it doesn't matter which one we bother with. We can take the fire escape which only leads to the second floor hallway and the lobby, with no fire door exit (for some reason).

Or we can take the lift. We'll take the fire escape, because it actually leads to another hallway.

Wherein we can see that Chiaki was right. There's absolutely no one here. No cars parked either. That alone is pretty shady.

Ah well, let's go find that Isamu.

...I think we found him already. Now we gotta go grab him.

We can actually enter more than one room up here if we wanted to. No point, mind, since all the ones without Isamu are empty. Not even stock healing items or anything.

Dude! You scared the crap outta me, Naoki! Why'd you startle me like that!?
You come here late, you cause trouble... Geez.
Ah, forget it.

I called Ms. Takao and double checked, though. She said, "Shinjuku Medical Center."
Maybe something happened.
They could've at least put up a notice or something, so visitors aren't clueless.

I checked out most of the this place. I don't know where else Ms. Takao could be...
Oh well. I'll go back and see how Chiaki is doing.
She's probably all mad at me 'cuz I've been gone so long... *sigh* It's hard to please a girl with her upbringing.
See ya in a bit, Naoki.
I really hope that this is nothing we should be worried about...

Now that Isamu's gone we can search this room, and find the great vast amounts of nothing that are lying around.

This place is loving barren as shi- ...where's Isamu? He set off back here before us. Goddammit, Daichi Isamu.

Um, Naoki...
You know that special report at the beginning of the magazine?
Well, it says some things that are a little disturbing.

They're a stock SMT cult, yeah. They're the generic Chaos Dudes.

They're right here in Japan.

In that book, it says that chaos will befall the world, and these people are actually trying to make that happen.
The reporter was unable to learn what is meant by 'chaos'...
It could be worldwide terrorism, or some other tragedy. But...

I even checked the men's room.
*sigh* I don't think we needed to know that.
We're in the middle of a conversation, so please save the details for later.
Now, where were we? ...Oh yeah, read this part.

Let me guess...It ends with, 'More to come in our next issue,' right?
You know, this could be the hospital that they're referring to.
I've heard weird stories about this place.

There was also one about the hospital being under the influence of some cult...
...Really?
I haven't heard those things before. Maybe we shouldn't have come...

There's definitely something wrong with this hospital.
I'm worried about Ms. Takao.
Hey, let's look around some more. If we don't find anything, then at least we'll know that there's nothing bad here.

Looks like we have our next destination, we'll just go a-

I'll go take a look.

> You obtained an [ID Card].

Isamu, where did you get this? How did you get this? I don't think an ID Card would just be lying around.

Why don't you search the basement yourself?
...You're not scared, are you?
O-Of course not!
I'm sure she's not down there, that's why I'm having Naoki go!

It's my duty to see her in person.

Something bad is totally gonna happen, isn't it?

*sigh* I can't believe him sometimes.
But now, I'm worried about Ms. Takao. We should make sure she's okay.

Okay, fine, I'll head into the hospital basement all on my end. If I know anything about anime hospitals, its that the basement usually doubles as the morgue. And anime hospital morgues usually get weird. We can deal with that next time, I reckon.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 1, 2014

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Oh man, this is going to be good. SMT: Nocture is hella sweet. Rock on, Dragonatrix!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Do you swear by your capote that you will once again prove victorious?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, what's the spoiler policy?

Because, I gotta say your friends are the worst. That's... kinda clear already.

Really, that's the fastest way to tell if you're in Persona or core SMT. Check your closest friends.

If they're likable nutjobs who have your back when things get crazy, you're in Persona and there's a good chance to save the world using pluck and team spirit.

If they're assholes? Then you're in a core title, and may whichever deity is closest to benevolent at the moment have mercy on your soul.

If they're a talking cat, then you're Raidou, and you'll be fine.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
This is pretty obviously an April Fools prank, but I would be all for another Nocturne LP.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
All votes will be "Let everyone die except Hijiri" and "Spend time with Hijiri." I hear maxing his Fate level lets you wear his awesome suit and hat. We will be the most stylish human-demon abomination.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Boneless Jogger posted:

This is pretty obviously an April Fools prank, but I would be all for another Nocturne LP.

I %100 agree but I think doing two SMT LPs would burn out anyone. If someone else wanted to do it, I'd be all for it.

Einander posted:

All votes will be "Let everyone die except Hijiri" and "Spend time with Hijiri." I hear maxing his Fate level lets you wear his awesome suit and hat. We will be the most stylish human-demon abomination.

Yeah, yeah, and maxing Aeirs' Social Link will let you bring her back to life. And in Ocarina of Time, you can totally get a Triforce from headshotting a Cuccoo with a Light Arrow.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Chiaki's eyes are still freakin' me out all these years later. :ohdear:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

chiasaur11 posted:

Really, that's the fastest way to tell if you're in Persona or core SMT. Check your closest friends.

If they're likable nutjobs who have your back when things get crazy, you're in Persona and there's a good chance to save the world using pluck and team spirit.

If they're assholes? Then you're in a core title, and may whichever deity is closest to benevolent at the moment have mercy on your soul.

Nah, SMTIV has pretty chill friends until they lose their poo poo at the end of the game because LAW HERO/CHAOS HERO :byodood:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Artix posted:

Nah, SMTIV has pretty chill friends until they lose their poo poo at the end of the game because LAW HERO/CHAOS HERO :byodood:
/NEUTRAL HERO :byodame:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neutral hero never does anything in SMT4, insane or otherwise.

What a dumb hat that guy is wearing. Just look at it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

Neutral hero never does anything in SMT4, insane or otherwise.

Outside of the Law/Chaos routes anyway.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

theshim posted:

Honestly speaking, EVERYONE'S eyes are freaking me out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

theshim posted:

For me it's her upper lip. With how pale her bottom lip is in comparison it just looks like she has a pencil moustache.

The rest of the cast are similar, but not to the extent as she is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

What a dumb hat that guy is wearing. Just look at it.

Isamu's design, to me, looks sorta like a generic try-hard hipster in a way. The obvious eyeliner doesn't help him any either.

But mostly it's the hat, yeah.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
The SMT3 post reminds me that I still need to finish my last playthru of it which I started about a summer or two ago.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ugh, what a scrub tier LP this is. You didn't even upload any of the kickass tracks. Voted 1.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Devil Survivor's an interesting case, though. 2 is the former, whereas the first is very much in the latter category.

I do find it a bit ironic that, in the middle of LPing the SMT game with the most likeable characters in it, you do a mini LP of the SMT game with the least likeable characters.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kay Kessler posted:

Devil Survivor's an interesting case, though. 2 is the former, whereas the first is very much in the latter category.

Atsuro and Yuzu are pretty alright though? I mean if you want to count everyone else in 1, you'd have to do the same with 2, since everyone just joins your party a whole lot earlier in 2.

I'll give you that the first game has the far crazier assholes. Hi, Keisuke.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Atsuro and Yuzu are pretty alright though? I mean if you want to count everyone else in 1, you'd have to do the same with 2, since everyone just joins your party a whole lot earlier in 2.

I'll give you that the first game has the far crazier assholes. Hi, Keisuke.

I was referring more to how the cast of DS1 has the usual mainstream SMT schtick where the main character doing one single action that goes against a party member's agenda, they just completely lose their poo poo. It's definitely one of the bigger flaws in SMT's alignment system.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

UpdatΣ&ΩΨ%

Okay, so we're in the weird basement. Yes, that's blood on the floor. No, it's totally not ominous.

Let's just head on deeper in, and see what we can find down here. There's probably something in the basement if its gated off like this, right?

Yep, this is defnitely the morgue. We should probably remember this room for later. There's nothing here right now, but...

The only other door down here is locked too, so we have to head back to the only one we passed up. Time to bite that bullet and head in I guess.

That... that's a Baphomet. We're level 1. This thing is very obviously much higher. We're so boned if we don't get out of here n-

Oh, Isamu said to run in these kinds of situations. Let's get out of here!

Wednesday's Changes (I)

[Music: Exploration]

Kuze, I'm coming in... I-Is that all right?
Pervert!
Wh-Why!? I haven't even entered the room yet...!

Makoto is agitated...

What is it?
R-Right... Come to the hall once you've dressed. I'd like to speak to everyone.
...I'll be waiting there.

Makoto seems to have left.

You get ready and leave your room...

Ah, good morning. Manage to wake up on your own?
I'm still sleepy...

...Looks like everyone's here. I'm sorry to call you out when you're all still tired.
Ah, good morning, Makoto... Um... Did something happen?
No... Nothing's happened. I just have some news to relay to you.
Relay to us?

...Yes, it's that time.

Huh...? Physicals?
That's right. We've pushed you pretty hard, and we're worried about your health.
That's great!
Hm...? Ah, I'm happy you agree to it so readily.
Um... Will we be the only ones taking it...?

Oh! So everyone's coming... Thank goodness... I thought I'd be the only girl.
The Osaka and Nagoya members have been contacted already and should arrive soon.

Separate exams? Awww... I was getting my hopes up.
What? What are you talking about? We'd never let the men and women take it together.
Of course not.
Haha... That's right, Hibiki. It does seem a little lonely, though...

Ooh, Joe knows what's up! Right!?
...I don't get the implication, but no matter, as long as you're willing to be examined.
Well, gather at the assigned location when the time comes. Until then...

As Makoto continues, Daichi walks by...

(I can hear you.)

[Music: A Moment of Rest]

(We're gonna check this out, right...?)

(Ahhh, you've got a dirty mind, huh? Io will be there! It's a boy's dream come true!)
(I'm definitely going in! Nothing ventured, nothing gained...!)
Hm? Is something the matter, Daichi?
Uh--! No, nothing at all, Captain!

Whew... She fell for it. Oh, by the way, there's something serious I wanted to discuss...
Serious? You?
Hey, that's mean! I can be serious once in a while too, you know.

[Music: Connected Hearts]

Where to begin... You know how we've seen Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya, right?
Right. So?
After what we've seen and heard, some things are starting to make sense.
Like... those monsters being related to the disaster, and the purpose behind Nicaea.
So I thought if we keep finding out things like that, we might prove Yamato right...

So... let's keep it up, okay?
Okay.
Hehe... That's all I had to say. It's the best someone like me could've come up--

[Music: Silence]

[Music: Countdown]

What...!?
Whoa...! Wh-What the!?

Goddamn, that's early. Well, at least we're getting it out of the way now?

An enemy?
Indeed... You've faced Dubhe, Merak, and Phecda... This will be the fourth.
Awwww... Why's this one have to be so impatient...
Let's intercept it.
A team is intercepting it now, but that doesn't mean they can win. You should go as well.

Until then, all personnel are on standby. I'll be with you, too... I'm counting on you.
Um, yes... Understood. Let's go once we're ready, Hibiki.
Maaaan... I wish it could've waited until after breakfast.

Makoto's similar to Io. Both can punch stuff good or cast spells well. Difference is Makoto puts her early stuff into punching things, whereas Io puts it in spellslinging.

That Weary Daichi event's the only sidetracking we can go do right now. There'd be Joe's here as well if we didn't do it last night.

The new free battle's nothing stellar. Might as well see what we can crack today tho-

Oh. Well, um, let's just grab this, get Makoto the couple of levels she needs to catch up and then...

Go beat it up this new thing.

Dammit...! What's going on!?
Are you all right?
You're-- Ah! I'm okay, but the enemy is all over the place!
All over... Like Merak back in Osaka?

Leave this one to us.
Alright... Sorry, but you'll have to handle this one! Makoto's already up ahead.
I'll start directing personnel. Be careful, guys...!
Multiple locations, huh...? If there's as strong as Merak was, I'm a little worried.
We have to do it.
Well... either way, we can't do anything if we don't know what it can dish out.
Yeah... We'll be all right. And it sounds like we'll have Makoto helping, too...
G-Good point... Then let's go check it out! It's just up ahead, right...?

Hey, Makoto? Are you serious about that new--

Not a problem.
Check you out, talking like a boss. But... Huh... It doesn't look very strong.
It looks like that other one... The one I hit with the truck on the first day.
Yeah, Dubhe. The shape is similar, but...

There's only one real option, let's be honest.

I'm naming it "Dead Meat."
Spoken like a true leader! You're so gung-ho about this. Wowza!

As usual, a couple of regular demons spawn in. Only one team is potentially threatening, and it's that Hamsa oddly enough.

Oh no, guys... I think it noticed us!
Time to kick rear end.

[Music: Septentrion]

Well, let's take out Wednesday's boss shall we?

Since Joe hit Fate level 2 we can get two of Petra Eyes, Ice Boost and Anti-Ailment. All three are only on Megrez, so one's gotta be left behind.

I chose to forego Petra Eyes, since I wouldn't use it much. We can get a better version of it later today anyway.

Assassinate is fantastic, and a giant threat, so we want it. Fortunately, there are only 2 enemies on the map that can use it and they're both in the same team. Remember that Hamsa I pointed out? Yeah, that one. The way it works is that you deal bonus damage if you hit the enemy team leader with it, AND you ignore the defence boost from anything else still being alive.

Oh, right. Hasn't come up much, but when the demons on the left flank/right flank/both are alive the leader takes less damage. Easiest way to see it in action is to use a multi-target attack that hits everything. The leader will take noticably less damage. That doesn't happen with Assassinate.

Megrez itself is kinda eh. Petra Eyes is the only major threat it has, but it lacks Grimoire so it won't petrify you that much. Mow Down's pretty whatever and Bufu's just... why.

The attack range of 4 is annoying but nothing we can't deal with. It just makes navigation kind of troublesome. Like Phecda, he has 900 HP. Unlike Phecda, he doesn't have a dumb gimmick that makes him unhittable half the time. Of course he also has no weakness, but we can still tear through 900 HP like it's nothing.

We can deal with it by luring demons down towards us and taking them out here. The Power was kind enough to drop in right next to our starting point, so let's give it a warm welcome.

Charm might not be the gamebreaking machine it is in other SMT games, but it still makes for fantastically easy skirmishes at times. I'll replace Sexy Gaze eventually but for now it's giving us easy times.

...On the other hand, it was potentially the whole reason Io didn't overwhelm the enemy party.

Thankfully Makoto's right there and able to fix this nice and quickly.

Animal Leg also lets her move up a bit more and lure the Ictinike into attacking her.

Which was actually intentional. Considering its entire team was weak to Ice, I'd be foolish to not exploit that.

Megrez doesn't move on its turns. Instead it just does this. Diastrophism is annoying, but unlike Circumpolarity or Dark Thunder it's not a major threat on its own.

It hits everyone on the map that isn't an Avian or a Flight demon. Well, everyone except enemy demons. Somehow they're immune to earthquakes no matter what.

I don't get how that works either, but at least it means we don't have to worry about losing out on skill cracks from AI teamkilling.

Oh, right, the Ictinike. Again its whole team was weak to Ice when Hibiki has Ice Dance and the King has Mabufu. It was asking for trouble.

Speaking of trouble, let's get rid of some. While we're at it, might as well pick up a new skill.

I guess Kumbhanda's hit sort of hard, especially compared to most thing we've fought? Not that it makes much of a difference though.

Doubly so when it fires its attacks at Orthrus who more often than not counters it. That's the second Kumbhanda done and dusted.

And the Hamsa being what it is, we take it out nice and quickly. Not much left to do now; we could go and beat up Megrez at this point, finish the fight and only miss some EXP.

But, well, even if it is only "some" EXP, it's still EXP. No point leaving it behind if we can get it now.

Especially when Mezuki can do some surprisingly good numbers with its Mazio. Elec Boost helps, yeah, but I wasn't expecting all 3 to wipe to this.

We don't even get a pick on who gets the fight with the Nozuchis. They opt to fight Joe which is, uh, something?

Mezuki got poisoned. Again. That's twice in a row now he's been taken out because of poison. That mystic/curse weakness is really annoying when it leads to stuff like that.

Surprisingly enough, no reinforcements spawn in so let's go beat up Megrez.

[Music: Break Out]

900 HP don't mean poo poo when Leanan Sidhe can deal over 300 in a single Fire Dance. Hibiki's stuck using Drain or his noodlepunches (so Drain, of course) and the King does whatever the King feels like.

Leanan might take out 2/3rds of its HP in a single skirmish, but the other 2 didn't contribute enough to help out much sadly. The King missed with half its attack, and Drain doesn't deal phenomenal HP damage.

But if you noticed the turn thing earlier, you'd have seen that we actually get to go again before Megrez can do anything.

Naturally a third Fire Dance ruins its day, and we nab both skills at once. Thank you joint skill cracking.

That's a surprisingly nice amount of EXP all things considered. Not enough to help much on its own, but more than I would've expected.

[Music: Over the Brink of Death]

It did, yeah.
Indeed... I didn't get the sense I got from Dubhe or the others that it was a threat.
Uhhh, I guess not. Thought put another way, we've been through some hairy stuff so far.
Hm...? You mean... we've gotten stronger?
That's right.

That's a good thing, if it's true. Otherwise, I'd be nervous about it being so easy.
Hm...? Hibiki, your phone's ringing.

...Oh, huh. Yamato's using our first name for real, I guess. Apparently, he's warmed up to us a fair bit.

We only beat one of them.
That's fine. The rest are taken care of already.
I'd like to know your opinion on the battle...
It was easy.
Interesting... You noticed it too.

...I'll keep you posted as we learn more. Well done, Hibiki.

The mission's complete.
Complete...? Oh, does that mean the other Megrez have been dealt with too?
Welp... Mission accomplished! Good going, team!
Yes, well done. Let's return to HQ.

You leave the area...

Alrighty, so since we have some free time right now let's spend it fusing demons. Not all the level 28 demons though; they're not that great all things considered, but they get the job done.

Tlaloc's (Hamsa + Orthrus) probably the best of a bad bunch, honestly. His strength and magic are, uh, okay but nothing stellar. Fire Boost'll be nice when we get it at least and the Phantasm's never a bad thing.

Ghost Q + Mezuki gives us Nalagiri. Emphatically not good, considering he's the second Kishin and Ubelluris was a phenomenal introduction to them. Be worth putting up with just to get Anti-Phys onto some later demons.

There are 2 more level 28 demons, but they're not worth worrying about really. Level 29 has two pretty great demons, so we'll grab them instead of loading up on trash.

We also don't have quite as much freedom of choice as Makoto would have led you to believe. Our options are "go see Io and Daichi or go see Daichi twice." If we did Daichi's event there on Tuesday instead, then we'd be stuck with going to see Io and Daichi.

I'm sure you'd all prefer to see Io's stuff considering how consistently she's smoked Daichi in every vote ever, so not even pretending this time.

...We have a secure route for transportation. Can you do this for me?
Okay. I just have to carry food, right?
Yes. It'll be a big help. There just aren't enough people in JP's to do everything.
Sure... I'll be fine.
What's going on?

I'll email you the details later. Do you have any questions now?
None spring to mind...
What's the matter?

I feel like they're running out quickly... And all the food in town is...

Makoto's expression darkens...

Oh... Sorry!
Never mind... Just a thought... Uh...
...No, it's all right. That's a rational question, really.
What do you think should be done, Nitta?
Huh...?

Uh... M-My opinion? Uhhh... That's...

Io looks at you with a troubled expression...

I'm sorry, I... What would you do, Hibiki?
Give it to them.
You're right... People will calm down if they have food, and there'll be fewer riots...
...The problem there is that JP's has limited resources as well.

Oh, right... Then what should we do?

Io falls silent...

We'll leave that judgement for later. For now, I just ask you to carry the materials.
Oh, right... Sorry.

While Io and Makoto continue their discussion, you walk away...

This would've been nice to have earlier, but no matter. It'll still come in handy later on.

We also now don't even have the illusion of choice. Full speed ahead, next stop Daichi Station!

[Music: In The Devastated Town]

Boo!
WAAAAAH! Huh!? Why'd you do that!? Geez!
I was just remembering how it was when I was captured... Man, it was scary.
You're all right now.
Yeah, thanks a lot. Seeing you guys made me feel a whole lot better.
But why are we getting dragged into these scary situations?
We've just been going with the flow this whole time, but is it the right thing to do?
We've almost died, more than once! It's like an action movie.
This is real life.
No, I know that. Still...
I mean, we fight and fight, but there's no end in sight.

Don't you think, Hibiki?
What "something"?
Huh? I don't know. Somebody. Anybody. Whatever.
...And we're not even adults! I wish they'd go easy on us...
...Sorry for making you listen to me rant like that.
I'm kind of stressed out, obviously. Nothing wrong with that!
I'm sure everything'll work out in the end! Haha!

Daichi's mood seems to have improved...

I can't believe I'm even asking this, but it does change the scene coming up. We can do what we're meant to do and head to the Health Exam, or we can follow Daichi/Joe to, uh, the Secret Garden.

...Which one? :siren:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Before we start, Diastrophism is in fact a term for deformation of the Earth's crust. So yeah, an earthquake.

I mentioned Assassinate when Phecda had it, and Dragonatrix mentioned it again. When you're going for Unkillable and there's Assassinate demons on the map, they have to be target one. You need to hit them hard, fast, and overwhelmingly because they can totally wreck your poo poo. If Assassinate demons are going to get a chance to attack a fragile party leader, I'd suggest Guarding and praying to YHVH that they don't get splatted and force you to restart the map. That Hamsa/2xKumbhanda party is much more dangerous than the Megrez Bud, once it's dead you should be fine. Just don't let yourself get worn down too badly by the earthquakes.

We saw a few more new Races this past day, so let's talk about them.

Megami: Megami's Race Skill is Affection. It's a large group heal and status cure for one party within four tiles. It's moderately expensive but pretty reasonable and not based on the Megami's health like the Femme's Devotion is. Megami are pretty universally great demons with powerful magic skills that would be good even if they didn't have one of the strongest Race Skills. There are bad status on the map screen that are really no joke that we'll want to be able to cure as well, though we haven't seen them. The only real impediment to having four Megami is that at some levels they're Unique.

Deity: Deity's Race Skill is Awakening, which makes the team do 1.5x Magic damage for the next skirmish. I don't think I need to explain why that's amazing, but seriously more damage is more. That said, only the very first Deity isn't Unique and some of them are kind of mediocre. Some of them aren't even really Magic demons at all, which makes it hard for themselves to use their own ability. So, they're potentially good but this doesn't always in practice give you the results you'd hope.

Vile: Vile's Race Skill is Chaos Wave. It gives the party a range of 3, negates their ability to get Extra Turns, reduces their movement by one, and makes their skirmishes delay their next turn even more than a Dragon's skirmishes do. I'm not a big fan of Viles at this point in the game, they're slow and incredibly vulnerable to being turn locked (that penalty also applies if you're skirmished) unless you can totally insulate them from enemy skirmishes. They pretty much shout for you to pair them with a Wilder or Avian, most of which are kind of blah. I think I'd like Viles more if there were more maps that incentivized going on the defensive. This is not to say that there are not uses for them, indeed I'll describe a good one later. But for now, they're kind of meh. Viles are mostly Unique and honestly aren't usually very good in and of themselves.

Tyrant: Tyrant's Race Skill is Tyranny, and it's incredible. You restore MP for the party after every skirmish based on how much damage the Tyrant did, and you delay the enemy's next turn more than usual. It's not as much as it was in the original Devil Survivor, though, so you can't singlehandedly turn lock enemies like you used to be able to. Tyrants are still incredible, though. They're all Unique and almost all of them are amazing demons in their own right.

Fiend: Fiend's Race Skill is Uncanny Form, which lets a party with a Fiend act again. It's incredibly expensive and most Fiends are awful, so you'll probably never use it except just on principle to justify bothering to fuse a Fiend. Which you shouldn't do for the first three, because they are really bad.

I don't think I've given Makoto a post yet, so let's do that too.

Makoto Sato: Makoto is basically Io. She's a Strength/Magic character with almost identical stat spreads overall. At earlier levels she focuses more on Strength, whereas Io focuses more on Magic. You can basically use Makoto anywhere you'd use Io, she's pretty okay. If you are going to use, well, any of the Strength/Magic characters you really need to give them a physical as well as some magic to capitalize on their ability to potentially switch to that sort of attack. Having the ability to smoke parties that are more vulnerable to physical attacks than magic while also being able to kill parties that repel physical is a niche that does come up on some maps later in the game. Makoto is pretty solidly mid-tier.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 2, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

Feinne posted:

Tyrant: Tyrant's Race Skill is Tyranny, and it's incredible. You restore HP and MP for the party after every skirmish based on how much damage the Tyrant did, and you delay the enemy's next turn more than usual. It's not as much as it was in the original Devil Survivor, though, so you can't singlehandedly turn lock enemies like you used to be able to. Tyrants are still incredible, though. They're all Unique and almost all of them are amazing demons in their own right.
Tyranny only restores MP, not HP.

It's still absolutely incredible, no question there. Tyrants are amazing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

theshim posted:

Tyranny only restores MP, not HP.

It's still absolutely incredible, no question there. Tyrants are amazing.

I'm probably thinking about the Fallen skill, which is both. Tyranny is way better, even with just restoring MP.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Cracking Assassinate is pretty much the moment in my playthroughs where Jungo goes from "kickin' rad" to "holy poo poo Jungo stop he's already dead."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Feinne posted:

I'm probably thinking about the Fallen skill, which is both. Tyranny is way better, even with just restoring MP.

Is it pushing turns back that does it, or do you just get that much more MP with Tyranny?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is it pushing turns back that does it, or do you just get that much more MP with Tyranny?

The turn delay is incredible, also the fact that you just get MP for doing damage instead of requiring you to kill a target with that specific demon.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Dragonatrix posted:

Kuze, I'm coming in... I-Is that all right?
Pervert!
Wh-Why!? I haven't even entered the room yet...!

Makoto is agitated...

It's very silly, but this is my favorite troll dialogue in the game.

(Disclaimer: I don't consider Jungo to be troll dialogue.)

PS. I appreciate you going the extra mile with the static screens.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird how Nicaea is all ambivalent about Fumi but is full-bore for Jungo.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Glazius posted:

It's weird how Nicaea is all ambivalent about Fumi but is full-bore for Jungo.

The Ticos just love it when you save someone from a death clip's prediction. She didn't have a death clip, so she just gets a "meh".

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Nicaea always says what it says for a reason (even Tico-Tico) so if it's ambivalent about Fumi (or Foomi, as I seem to recall Tico-Tico calls her) there's probably a good reason for that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The Anguished One

Somehow, you guys voted to not go to a higher level of anime.

Very definitely not complaining about that. Surprised, certainly.

Hey, Hibiki. Where were you? I've been waiting for a while.
Waiting for what?
"For what"...!? For the girl's physicals, dummy!
And you call yourself a man... Though then again, maybe it's a good thing you didn't show.

*sigh* It's only morning and I'm already exhausted. This is bad for my health...

Whoa... Joe! Will you stop sneaking up on us...!?
But that doctor, man! The lady who came to give our checkups was a real knockout!
Huh? Seriously...?
See, I like that gleam in your eye. I'm seriously serious. She was so cute, and sexy...

Hm? Hey, speak of the devil! Look, you guys, it's the beauty I was talking about!
Whoa...!
"Beauty"...? Haha... Thanks! It's sweet of you to say, even if you're kidding.

Ah, Keita. I recall you being under the weather the other day. Take your medicine, okay?
Gh...! You idiot! Don't bring that stuff up when--
We meet again, Hibiki. I made this.

[Music: A Moment of Rest]

Stupid Jungo... You've got some real goddamn guts, you know that?
Hmm...? Me?
I'm talking about you, moron! Why a chawanmushi? Quit bringing crap like that.
...You should have some. It's good.
...You little...
Now, now.
Say, is that a chawanmushi? It certainly looks tasty, but please don't eat it now.
It'll affect the readings... Sorry!

Hahaha... What a show!
A show...? I don't know about that...

Wh-What was that!? A quake!?
...Strange. Maybe something else has shown up.
Aaaah! Geez, that scared me... Isn't that Hibiki's cell?

What is it?

[Music: Dark Clouds]

JP's squads are dealing with them now! We need you to go in as backup!

...What was that about?
Request for backup.
What!? What the hell!? Aren't things coming on a little thick today!?

You wait for everyone to get ready and leave the area...

We don't have any alternatives but to dive headfirst into more plot, so let's go. Strange that we're off to beat up Megrez again, but it's not a battle... eh, probably nothing to worry about.

[Music: Countdown]

Kuze...!
Are you okay?
Mm... Yes. I just got here myself.

I guess Jungo, Hinako, Airi and Keita went after the other Megrez's.

Dammit... what was up with that Megrez thing?
I thought it was weak... It's really here again?
We'll keep fighting.
Yeah... Right... But how many of them are there...? I feel like we'll never win...
W-Wait! Who's that...?

[Music: The Anguished One]

You're in danger!
...You need not worry. That is a manner of kindness in humanity, I suppose.

What...!? What the hell!? He took out Megrez in one hit!

Hibiki Kuze.
That is a name... Fleeting, meaningless... yet wonderful.
But there is no rest for you. Dubhe, Merak, Phecda, Megrez.

H-Huh? What's he saying?
H-Hey Hibiki! What is he talking about?
I don't know.
Maybe I should have brought a dictionary...
What I defeated is nothing more than a "bud" of Megrez.

Hey humans. Heh heh heh... Shall I destroy them?
Don't... or I will destroy YOU.
...Fine, geez. You don't have to be so scary about it.

And then Bifrons just ups and leaves. Botis would've been here too if it somehow survived to this point, but that requires letting it live. And that's kinda silly.

A useless question... Nothing exists that can answer that.

Well then, Shining One...I will see you again.

Oh. Hey!? H-He just left...

And he beat Megrez so easily... Who can do that?
He has demons, too... Though they acted more like servants than the ones we summon.
What does that mean? He didn't seem like our enemy, but...
Yes, and he called Dubhe and Merak "Septentriones."

I'll report this to Chief. All of you, be careful.
Watch out for "buds" as well. They're appearing all over the place. Stay on your guard.
Well... you can go back now. Good work.

That sure was a fantastic nothing we did. Go team! :v:

Uhh, hold on a sec! This doesn't make any sense... Let me sort this out.
Okay.
Umm... O-Okay. Sorry, Daichi. It's not that difficult of a concept.
...It's hard enough to me. What this Septemberones thing!?
Septentriones.

It's like that's what those types of... Actually, it's what the whole group is called.
Yeah... What does it mean? Even Makoto didn't know...
Well, if he knows about Dubhe and Merak, he must be one of the summoning apples.
..."Apples"? What? Never mind. I get what you're trying to say.
You're right.
You think so? I just... I feel like something's not right.
Huh...? That's not it? Why not?

...Hmm. So what's his story?
Um... Well, he can use demons without the app, and he knows about monsters like Dubhe...
He's Nicaeaman.

What...!? He's a superhero!?
Um, no... That's not what I meant. We got our summoning app from Nicaea, right?

Huh...? So, what, you're saying he's the Nicaea maintainer?
N... No way! Aww, we could've asked him a ton of stuff!
U-Um, well... we don't know that for certain yet. Let's not get our hopes up...
True, yeah. But now I'm wondering... This is a bigger mystery than we thought.

Will we see him again?
Who knows? He flew in out of nowhere. Maybe next time, he'll pop up out of the ground.
Alrighty. I could use a bite to eat, so I'm heading back! See ya...
Uh, hey, Joe!... Sheesh... He just does whatever he pleases...

You leave the area...

Yep, that time again. We could've hung out with some of the girls instead if we went through with Daichi and Joe's plan, but since we didn't we can only pick from the lads. And Makoto.

We have enough time for three, but... which three? :siren: :siren:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 6, 2014

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Yay, Anguished One! There will be words about him later, all good.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You've got a "gleeting" instead of "fleeting."

I'm not really sure how I feel about the Botis showing up/not showing up thing. On one hand, it's neat to have your actions have impacts like that. On the other hand, Botis being there is likely to completely change your first impression of the Anguished One, because Botis was connected to mind-controlling Fumi and mind control is one of those things that's generally considered unambiguously evil.

I mean, it's not exactly a small detail. I think they should have at least had him mention Botis here, so people who killed Botis would walk away with the same rough impression of the Anguished One as the people who didn't.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Einander posted:

You've got a "gleeting" instead of "fleeting."

Whoops. Thanks, fixed. Proof-reading stuff is apparently something I never get better at.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Einander posted:

I mean, it's not exactly a small detail. I think they should have at least had him mention Botis here, so people who killed Botis would walk away with the same rough impression of the Anguished One as the people who didn't.

I concur. Having Bifrons at least offhandedly mentioned Botis would be enough. Something about wanting to see how strong the humans that killed Botis were or something along those lines. Anyway, yes. The Anguished One. He's probably my favorite character in this game and one of the things I'd say the anime mostly did right. Mostly. But for now he is just the mysterious Nicaeaman so there's not much to say about him. Other than I love his clothes.

Does anyone have that Nicaeaman art from the old thread? Someone should post that here if they do, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How does the scene change if Keita and/or Jungo are dead? Do they just skip that part entirely and go straight to Makoto buzzing you in?

• Locked thread