Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Stuff like this is probably why Daichi gets received a lot better than Yuzu.

That was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What? You rlly don't like it when a bunny girl recaps the chapter with a rlly silly tic?

Having never played DS1, what was wrong with Yuzu? I don't care about spoilers for that game, unless the OP is against 'em for some reason.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yuzu was a realistic depiction of what someone would be like in the apocalypse - I'm tired, I'm scared, I don't want to fight, I just want to get the hell out of here and go home, to hell with everything else. The problem, of course, is that you can't do that, so she came off as really whiny and reluctant to help out, even when it was obvious that you had to fight. I personally didn't mind her that much, but Daichi is a much better version of a similar character archetype.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
So, now is our first real credible threat to an Unkillable run, Dubhe. Dubhe is very capable of killing people with his Binary Fire, as we almost saw with Io. The strategy I would suggest is to fight all the demon parties before you even attempt to cross Dubhe's range. Even if Dubhe is theoretically able to move, he's pretty clearly scripted not to under almost all circumstances. Once all the demons are dead, then you can just take your time and get people through Dubhe's range while minimizing their exposure to him. Remember, unless there is an explicit time limit (and there will be on some of the later maps) you can feel free to take all the time in the world. Ideally you want to have someone hang around outside his range on the opposite side to cross heal if someone has to stop inside his range. Once Daichi hits him with the truck, just send whoever got Resist Fire over to smoke poor broken Dubhe, since he'll pretty much be unable to injure that character in any meaningful way. Also do make sure you crack that skill, it's worth resetting if you gently caress up. Resistance skills are absolutely crucial.

Let's briefly talk about a couple of the Race Skills we've seen so far and why we might want to bring them along:

Fairy: Glamour- A small ranged heal on a team with a chance of some random side bonus as well (such as increased crit rate or a full heal). This is pretty nice early on when there's no other real way to heal an entire group, but it's definitely the weakest healing Race Skill and once we have access to better Fairies will definitely lag behind in support. That is until SPOILERS that I won't mention unless Dragonatrix says it's okay to talk about mechanics we won't see until somewhere in the middle of the game or so.

Jaki: Bind- Reduces a target team's movement to 1 for a turn. This skill is mainly one you'll see used against you, because enemy parties love using it even if there's no good reason. It's extremely good in the situation where you need to restrict enemy movements and otherwise it's obviously useless. We'll see some maps later where Bind can be useful.

Ghost: Ghost Wounds- Reduces a target team's range to 1 and movement by half. You'll also see this used against you a lot when there are enemy Ghosts, which can be annoying. It's slightly less useful for area restriction since it only halves enemy movement, but it's a great way of forcing a ranged team to run in and let you actually get to hit them. It can also give you a moment's reprieve against ranged bosses sometimes, since many bosses in this game are immobile.

Touki: Aggravate- Guarantees a critical hit for the team. Enemies that have this skill will definitely make heavy use of it. It can be useful if you've got a whole party that's good at physicals, but otherwise it's sort of blah. The free criticals could help get you Extra Turns, but you'd be better off just using magic most of the time unless you're a real physical character.

Genma: Phantasm- Lets you ignore obstacles while moving, and reduces the turn speed cost to move. This is a pretty nice mobility power, and it stacks with another power we've not quite seen yet that makes you move substantially faster. Being able to move through obstacles is great on a lot of maps, and at certain level ranges Genma are really strong (though they're also often unique, which can be annoying).

Beast: Animal Leg- After attacking, your movement allowance is fully restored. A nice but sort of niche mobility power, this lets you hit and run quite effectively. It's especially effective in combination with effects that increase your movement capabilities or your attack range, since either of those make it much more likely that you can get away from whatever you just hit.

Dragon: Evil Wave- Increases your range to 2, but you no longer get Extra Turns and attacks cost you more turn speed than normal. A range of 2 can be nice, but is sort of niche. There are better range skills that are more useful, but Evil Wave is sort of impractical. You might get some limited use out of it but definitely don't have more than one ranged party.

We'll talk more about race skills as we see more races on the second day, where things really start to open up demon wise.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
What the hell is Dubhe anyway? Just some random demon? It has a random as gently caress appearance, and doesn't really follow the normal SMT trend of being something from mythology. In fact, some googling shows that Dubhe is a star? A part of the Big Dipper specifically.

And question that might not lead to spoilers - do Light and Dark attacks in this follow the same trend of being instant kills that they do in the other SMT games?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Light and Dark don't exist. The only elements are Physical, Zan, Agi, Bufu, Zio, Mystic (status effects) and Almighty.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Dubhe is a rude fight because it absolutely requires you to put at least one person in a situation where there is a chance of them just being unavoidably ganked and well, there goes Unkillable if Binary Fire gets brought out. Though I can forgive it for truck-related reasons.

And yeah, the only instant-kills in this game is the kind where big enough numbers fly out of something's head that it dies in one hit.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

The problem with the breasts isn't the size - well, okay, they are huge, but that's pretty normal - the problem is that they don't have any weight to them at all. It's like they're being lifted upwards by some invisible force.
The clothing is also shrink wrapped to the breasts, making them look even more like plastic surgery gone wrong.

It could have been neat to have a mechanic where you could change outfits. Make clothing something characters can find and pick up during battle. People are in the middle of a major disaster after all, time to scrounge up whatever is possible.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
As awesome as the whole truck thing is, I'm somewhat disappointed that Daichi didn't go full-on Michael Bay movie and throw in a terrible pun one-liner.

I have taken steps to correct this oversight.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Dubhe is a rude fight because it absolutely requires you to put at least one person in a situation where there is a chance of them just being unavoidably ganked and well, there goes Unkillable if Binary Fire gets brought out. Though I can forgive it for truck-related reasons.

And yeah, the only instant-kills in this game is the kind where big enough numbers fly out of something's head that it dies in one hit.

Yeah, you can't 100% insulate all of your parties from contact with Dubhe due to the structure of the battlefield. I guess you could wait around for a few turns to game the turn order but it's tricky to pull that and still sort of requires him to attack someone.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Let's analyze a few things. We've just now reached the end of episode 1 of the anime. Sort of. They took the intro/train crash sequence and the first encounter with Dubhe and then mashed it together with the most recent battle. Joe gets omitted (again, more on that later), and JPs doesn't show up until Dubhe's defeated. Everything so far in the game between those points? Omitted. Oh, and Tico swaps between the male option and the female option. Don't ask why, it's never really explained. While I am not fond of the anime adaptation....the DS2 anime's version of Daichi's Truckdyne does get some points from me for having the image of Pixie struggling to not drop Daichi to the pavement from several feet in the air, instead of Daichi dangling from a ruined rail. Sadly, IIRC, the anime leaves off the Looney Tunes circle fade-out (or whatever it's called) that the game has.

As for Dubhe himself, one thing Feinne left off that was brought up in Cake Attack's LP is Dubhe's little quirk: he's the game's big anti-piracy countermeasure. If you used a rom without some special rigging, Dubhe would be literally immortal and you couldn't get past this fight. Yes, the exploding ice cream cone is an anti-piracy countermeasure. There's just something hilarious about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, and Tico swaps between the male option and the female option. Don't ask why, it's never really explained.
Well, the protagonist is a teenager. :v:

AradoBalanga posted:

Sadly, IIRC, the anime leaves off the Looney Tunes circle fade-out (or whatever it's called) that the game has
Oval Iris fade I think. That's what you select to do it in a lot of video editing programs, anyway.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph posted:

Well, the protagonist is a teenager. :v:

It's even simpler; male characters have Lady Tico, female characters have Male Tico. The only exception is Yamato who is sensible enough to pick Male.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AradoBalanga posted:

As for Dubhe himself, one thing Feinne left off that was brought up in Cake Attack's LP is Dubhe's little quirk: he's the game's big anti-piracy countermeasure. If you used a rom without some special rigging, Dubhe would be literally immortal and you couldn't get past this fight. Yes, the exploding ice cream cone is an anti-piracy countermeasure. There's just something hilarious about that.

To clarify, it's not Dubhe's immortality is the problem, it's that Daichi never comes back. Without Truckdyne, Dubhe will never become vulnerable. I like to think of it as Daichi just running away forever from immoral people like the player. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hey, everyone should click on that. The music in this game is much better than in the previous one, and this track is especially great.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SSNeoman posted:

What? You rlly don't like it when a bunny girl recaps the chapter with a rlly silly tic?

Having never played DS1, what was wrong with Yuzu? I don't care about spoilers for that game, unless the OP is against 'em for some reason.

In addition to what's been said already, her ending route is pretty much objectively the Bad End for Devil Survivor (although Overclocked cleaned it up a bit). Without going into too much detail, her route basically involves trying to save your own asses by doing something you've repeatedly been told will result in everybody else getting killed. Now if you screw the pooch badly enough during the game, it can end up with Yuzu's route being the only one available, making it a bit more believable - but in any other scenario your choices are "get the job done" or "run away, screw everyone else" which just makes you want to throttle her when you get to that point.

It's also just not very consistent, because Yuzu actually does become more confident and optimistic about your chances as the game goes on (at one point she uses one of her demons without hesitation to save a kid from dying, etc.) The route split actually comes after a major battle, so what you see is Yuzu cheering and high-fiving everybody else for being awesome once the fight's over... and then literally the next scene is her saying OMG WE'RE DOOMED LET'S RUN AWAY to set up her ending route.

It probably could've been avoided by specifically making her ending the You Fail At Everything ending, with it only being available if you can't do any of the others.

Pringles Monster
Nov 1, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

In addition to what's been said already, her ending route is pretty much objectively the Bad End for Devil Survivor (although Overclocked cleaned it up a bit). Without going into too much detail, her route basically involves trying to save your own asses by doing something you've repeatedly been told will result in everybody else getting killed. Now if you screw the pooch badly enough during the game, it can end up with Yuzu's route being the only one available, making it a bit more believable - but in any other scenario your choices are "get the job done" or "run away, screw everyone else" which just makes you want to throttle her when you get to that point.

It's also just not very consistent, because Yuzu actually does become more confident and optimistic about your chances as the game goes on (at one point she uses one of her demons without hesitation to save a kid from dying, etc.) The route split actually comes after a major battle, so what you see is Yuzu cheering and high-fiving everybody else for being awesome once the fight's over... and then literally the next scene is her saying OMG WE'RE DOOMED LET'S RUN AWAY to set up her ending route.

It probably could've been avoided by specifically making her ending the You Fail At Everything ending, with it only being available if you can't do any of the others.

Yuzu also gets so much hate because she could only walk 3 spaces for some reason when many other characters could walk 4 spaces in DS1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pringles Monster posted:

Yuzu also gets so much hate because she could only walk 3 spaces for some reason when many other characters could walk 4 spaces in DS1.
You try fighting demons in strappy sandals and a 2-inch skirt.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yuzu's three space thing has never really been a big problem for me. While I basically glued devil speed to her until she was in the thick of things, most of the characters got movement boosting in some form, so it just made hers more specific. The fact that she's your most competent magical character for 80% of the game in terms of stat growths in a game setup of all magic superiority made me love her for combat related purposes at least.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Seyser Koze posted:

In her defence, she acknowledges that her plan is a bad idea, and seems surprised and a little disappointed in you if you actually decide to go along with it. It feels like she's only bringing it up because she wants you to talk her out of it.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

ChaosArgate posted:

To clarify, it's not Dubhe's immortality is the problem, it's that Daichi never comes back. Without Truckdyne, Dubhe will never become vulnerable. I like to think of it as Daichi just running away forever from immoral people like the player. :v:

And to clarify a bit further, those escape squares are actually nonfunctional: if you have no idea that Daichi's supposted to return, you just keep heading towards them and since the cutscene never takes place, you can actually reach them, only for them to do jack poo poo and leaving you to struggle against an immortal boss.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Pringles Monster posted:

She's actually not the only character with only three movement, it's really annoying because the three move characters are actually really good, they're just slow.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I don't think I found Yuzu nearly as insufferable as Midori. Midori was a league of her own.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Am admittedly quite small thing in Daichi's favor is that his weird growths put him in a sweet spot around level 20-30 (if I remember correctly) where he is the first STR/AGI character to have the stats for a lifestealing build. I admit that I don't remember if that was the case for me because he had an higher level than the others, but there's that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

And to clarify a bit further, those escape squares are actually nonfunctional: if you have no idea that Daichi's supposted to return, you just keep heading towards them and since the cutscene never takes place, you can actually reach them, only for them to do jack poo poo and leaving you to struggle against an immortal boss.

You can actually reach the tiles before Daichi shows up. :v: I've done it before to see what happens and the option to escape just doesn't exist.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

You can actually reach the tiles before Daichi shows up. :v: I've done it before to see what happens and the option to escape just doesn't exist.

Yeah, I'd imagine you can run game in an NG+ to get there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Feinne posted:

Yeah, I'd imagine you can run game in an NG+ to get there.

You don't even need NG+ demons. You just have to position your characters 4 tiles away from the edge of the map and you'll be able to move them up the next turn.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Strange Quark posted:

Hey, everyone should click on that. The music in this game is much better than in the previous one, and this track is especially great.

That was a big problem in the last game. While some music was good (Garuda), a lot of it was ear-poppingly terrible - like the song that plays against Beldr.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Beldr song is awesome. On the OST. The DS sound compression ruins it.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I generally thought this game had kinda forgettable music, while the first game had a good number of more memorable songs made less awesome by bad compression. In addition to Garuda, I also like Demon of Darkness and instrumental Reset a lot.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Can you give us a sample of the alternate female avatar? Just so we can see what kind of bullet we dodged?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Bricoleur posted:

I don't think I found Yuzu nearly as insufferable as Midori. Midori was a league of her own.

I kinda suspect that her rescue mission being the only one that's impossible to fail was a defense mechanism against players deliberately killing her off.

Kinfolk910 posted:

Can you give us a sample of the alternate female avatar? Just so we can see what kind of bullet we dodged?

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Tico_%28Female%29

She basically acts like a ditz all the time. And says "rilly" instead of "really."
The game's immediate reaction to picking her is something like "The presence emanating from your screen is almost insufferable..."

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 29, 2013

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tico-Tico is still the right choice because she treats the events with such disrespect.

This is also why I'm a huge fan of Dolly. I'm in general a huge fan of the female characters from DS1 because they get a terribly unfair shake in how they are portrayed but are all pretty cool characters. Fortunately DS2 actually lets female characters do things without supernatural loving involvement (well besides be the best character in the game because Amane is still the best).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 29, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Monday's Turmoil (En Avant)

[Music: Exploration]

It's fine.
Ah, sorry. I just didn't see you or Akie...
That's why I came to check up on you. It's a difficult situation we're all in.
What about Daichi?

The same for Io, too. Once Daichi's escort comes back, it'll be your turn, but...

Makoto falls silent...

What's the matter?
...We have some new information.
In truth, I doubt their houses are safe. Yours either.
Keep going...

One more thing, though, which I should tell you just in case...

Makoto produces her cell phone...

As a result, a number of our members will use the summoning app on a trial basis.
What did you do until now?

But this one is far more efficient than the one we'd been using previously...
That's all we've been able to find out about Nicaea and the summoning app at this stage.
Why's that?
Well, to begin with... We haven't even determined the location of its server.
As a national organization, we have advanced IT to work with, but we're making no progress.

It this okay to tell me?
Hm? Oh, it's not an issue. I have permission from Chief Hotsuin.

Anyway... Thanks to you, we have a better grasp of the situation. We owe you one.

Hah... Interesting. You're not like your friends.
It'll be a bit longer before Daichi's escort returns. Make yourself comfortable.

Makoto bids you farewell and leaves the room...

This e-mail in question goes on for a fair bit longer, but we can fuse things now. That's the important bit, it's right at the top and it basically tells us everything we need to know.

So let's spend an uncomfortably large amount of macca doing just that.

[Music: Devil Fusion.exe]

The Fusion menu itself has 2 sub-areas. Fusion, obviously, is where you actually fuse things. Search tells you every possible combination you can use to make something. More SMT games need that, really. It's much more efficient than sitting there with GameFAQs open the entire time.

Actually fusing itself is pretty simple. We just pick 2 demons we have with us and they become something new. Many demons, especially end-game ones, will never ever go up for Auction for one reason or another. This is the only way we can get those particular demons, like Tam Lin (no, we are not making this Tam Lin).

Tam Lin's a weird one because he's level 6 but he's a Unique demon. Like the tag implies, we can only ever have 1 Tam Lin at a time with us. It seems kind of unnecessary here, but it makes a lot more sense for most other things.

Switching over to something I will make, here's Kikimora. The important thing here is that the top screen shows not just her base skills but also her stats. She normally does not have 12 Magic nor 6 Vitality. Devil Survivor games are nice in that they let you pick the skills to make whatever kind of demon you want (this can be abused to easily create things that are basically invincible, yes).

Unfortunately, it wouldn't really be an SMT fusion without adding something you'll be quitting and refusing ad nauseum for. So, you get random stat gains instead! The more level ups and bonus stat points from Auctions you have, the more randomly get distributed in fusion. This can be problematic at times, but it's not as bad as randomly picked skills. It's also much easier to mitigate, since it usually errs towards whatever that demon is good at anyway.

Oh and just in case you're thinking of buying cheap 1/2 star demons and using them as easy fodder, that's not a very good option. Stat penalties are also carried over when fusing.

Whenever you throw things together, before the process itself they have a short quip to say. These are just stock and based on the demon's race. Nothing exciting.

The fusion process itself is a bit too lengthy for my liking, but you can just skip it anyway so it doesn't matter. I always do that whenever actually playing so I had to actively try not to do it here. I don't really like the animations in any of the games for that matter; they just seem needlessly complex and longwinded I guess.

And here's a completely different Kikimora I also made because they are really good at healing. Devotion, the Femme racial skill, restores the entire team for half her remaining HP; this is simultaneously really good and also potentially worthless. Not always something to rely on, but since I like to keep healing easily available it should seldom be the latter.

She's pulling double duty right now, since she's here to demonstrate that the result of a fusion has a line based more on the demon itself than its race. Most of the time; there are lots of demons, so they got lazy with it later. Her stats aren't quite as nice as the other ones, only 11 magic instead of 12!, but she has different skills than the other one could.

Watchful gives a tiny amount EXP for every fight that the MC is in while she's not assigned to any active team. It's not a lot and isn't worth worrying about really but it's good enough for keeping lower level demons up to snuff at least. Naturally there is a better version later which has extra bonus effects on top of being an EXP share.

Also when picking dudes to use, you can just press the X button to see what the result is beforehand. The results are varying colours for simple reasons. Knocker and Tam Lin are both completely bright because we can make them, and have seen then before (we've fought against Tam Lin which counts). Ogre and Erthys are light named but darkened portrait because we can fuse them but have never seen them before now. Gagyson is all darkened because we've never seen him and Hibiki is too low a level to make it.

Since we're using Hibiki's phone, all fusions are based on his level. That's why I keep feeding him boss EXP and will continue to do so forever. It's just more efficient that way.

I'll do a lot more fusing while you're not looking, so let's distract you with the Search function. Just clicking Start now would show everything we can currently make and some stuff just above our level.

We can narrow that down further, but the only filter I really use is Race. It's the only one that really matters, and there's 24 of the buggers so it cuts out a lot of things we don't need. We'll only need to concern ourselves with 22 of these most of the time, though.

Elements are special cases and we'll see them in more detail later (Erthys from before was one so we could make one now but won't). Mitamas are also special cases but we cannot make them at all. They won't come into play for a long, long, long time.

For the time being, let's focus on Dragons. As you might remember from Bai Suzhen their racial skill is one I really like and want ASAP. This bunch of snakes in a gourd is the lowest levelled one at level 12 so we can get it pretty soon. We could also get Bai Suzhen herself at level 20 if we wanted to. From here, let's just select the Toubyou though and...

We can see all the constituent parts that make it up. Were it not for the level issue, we could make it in 2 different ways already but you may have noticed something. When creating demons, its based solely on two things: the race of what you use, and their base level. As we can see, a Dragon is made by either a Wilder+Jaki or a Snake+Ghost.

There are also other combinations that make a Dragon, they're hiding just off-screen, but which Dragon we get is where the level comes into play. We'll worry about that later though.

For now, let's worry about our business with our party. We have time to go check up on 1 of them before actual proper business turns up. But, since the day's just started we'll handle this one a bit differently; we could instead opt to push this as far as back as we can for a change. There is exactly enough time to deal with all three before being forced into something else. The tradeoff there is we may not have enough time later to deal with everything you might want to.

Of course, there's also extra scenes we open by doing these. They're just general Fate scenes though, so we can get to those later. Much more important is do we just do 1 scene and get plot stuff out of the way ASAP, do we deal with 2 of them and leave one person out to dry or do we do all 3?

As usual, voting can be done here. :siren: :siren:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So, a fun thing to remember about Femmes is to make sure to combo them with someone else who can single target heal. Then, if the Femme gets hurt you can focus them with a heal and then use their Race Skill afterwards. As soon as I can get Kikimora I pretty much bring one with every party until they become obsolete because they're great healers and do pretty good damage.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm inspired to talk about some Devil Survivor, so let's talk about turn order shenanigans. So, at the most basic level turn order is controlled by a hidden stat we cannot see. So, if it feels like certain characters get turns more quickly than others, that's not just you. It's a real thing. It's mostly noticeable with a special character we only get in one ending path, though, because they have significantly higher hidden turn speed than any other character in the game. This speed stat gives us our baseline for how many turns have to happen before a character will get another turn when they end theirs. This is then modified by what they did in their turn. Passing the whole turn or just using spells/Race Skills without moving or skirmishing is the least impact, and depending on what is going on can give you a turn again almost immediately (though the game abhors you getting two turns in a row with the same character unless there's no other thing it can do). Moving without skirmishing will set you back a bit, though this is reduced by the Phantasm race skill Genma have. Skirmishing is the largest setback on your turn order, further amplified if you skirmish with a ranged skill like Evil Wave. So, just to summarize: Doing Nothing<Moving with Phantasm<Moving<Taking Part In a Skirmish<Skirmishing at a Range.

So, this is important to know mainly because of that last one. See, it sets your turn back whenever you take part in a skirmish regardless of whether you are the attacker or defender. This is one good reason not to split the party unless there's a really good reason, because when a single team is attacked by several demons in a row it will continually set their turn back and can lead to some really rough situations where your ability to move and control your fights is largely eliminated. There are a couple of times when this is pretty tough to do anything about, and you need to be able to recognize when it's likely to happen and be ready to do something about it. At the same time, though, it's possible to take advantage of turn speeds and skirmish locking for your own benefit. Some strong enemies are particularly slow, so you can actually hit them with ranged skirmishes and kite them around without them being able to get turns fast enough to catch up. This generally relies on a race skill we haven't seen yet that causes skirmishing with an enemy to reduce their turn speed more than usual. We'll discuss that more when we see something with it (much later).

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Huh, never thought of abusing it that way. If it's something particularly nasty or you're totally running on empty, can you just attack from out of their range and simply Guard and/or heal within the actual battle screen, and still have the same impact on their upcoming turn?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Raitzeno posted:

Huh, never thought of abusing it that way. If it's something particularly nasty or you're totally running on empty, can you just attack from out of their range and simply Guard and/or heal within the actual battle screen, and still have the same impact on their upcoming turn?

Yep, a skirmish is a skirmish and regardless of how much or little you do during one it still sets their turn back the same amount. There is a later map on a certain path that is... rather annoying to do without just abusing Samarecarm that you can make a joke with clever use of turn delays and range. If you've done Kingmaker I'm sure you know which one I mean.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That is indeed the path I took but it was a really goddamn long time ago and I don't recall specific maps. I sorta get what you're going for though, considering what and who is on that path, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Feinne posted:

Yep, a skirmish is a skirmish and regardless of how much or little you do during one it still sets their turn back the same amount. There is a later map on a certain path that is... rather annoying to do without just abusing Samarecarm that you can make a joke with clever use of turn delays and range. If you've done Kingmaker I'm sure you know which one I mean.

Are you talking about the Shiva map?

• Locked thread