Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
... I watched the first LP, and forgot just how freaking dumb those NPCs around Dubhe were. The thing is exploding, moving around erratically, someone shouts 'Get away it'll kill you'.... and then they crowd around the freaking thing. What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yuzu's three space thing has never really been a big problem for me. While I basically glued devil speed to her until she was in the thick of things, most of the characters got movement boosting in some form, so it just made hers more specific. The fact that she's your most competent magical character for 80% of the game in terms of stat growths in a game setup of all magic superiority made me love her for combat related purposes at least.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Is there a way you can show us Jungo's/Hinako's enemy sprites? They're kind of in the middle of being torched in the only screenshots we have of them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's a pity that unless you're specifically doing something special, you never see Io's normal battle sprite.

Even if mechanically you're just blowing down these dudes like they're nothing, I do like how thematically they have people's unique circumstances let them power up vs you. Stylistically, this fighting looks awesome.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually like Midori too. She's crazy but she's trying to do the right thing and I still appreciate that.

It also helps me that she's a well-built mage in the game where mages are OP too so yeah good mechanics too.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Eh, Yuzu was basically an experiment in design from what I saw. 3 Movement and 52 speed, speed wasn't a hidden stat there so you could see it. That was enough for me to just glue a Wilder to her until she got into the thick of things.

Again as in Midori's case, well-built mage. Actually a better stat spread too (at least I liked it better).

Edit: Honestly that was part of my problem with DS1, like the first 3 characters you get complemented each other really well and made a good mix of a team. Which meant any other characters had a hard time justifying being used.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Arcade Rabbit posted:

On the subject of Yamato, the game glosses over it but I do like his reaction to Hibiki. The idea that he's totally fine with Hibiki overthrowing him further down the line helps sell him as a character to me. That and admitting that he's a bad person but is willing to do what he feels must be done makes it feel like he really does care about society as a whole, he's just too extreme about it.

Yamato doesn't even seem to hate Ronaldo. He doesn't care at all about any grievances Ronaldo has, legitimate or not, but Yamato seems to respect Ronaldo specifically because he's strong enough to be a pain. But this sort of thing really does sell Yamato's merit system.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hahah wow, Ronaldo. Hell of a way to go. I can only hope Yamato goes out half so absurdly in Ronaldo's route.

Honestly I think Ronaldo's just gonna shoot him. He outright hates Yamato, whereas Yamato vaguely respects him.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I don't think this ending is bad, and a large part of that is due to the random NPC party at the end. In this merit based world, even those that aren't as strong managed to band together and utilize whatever skills they have to keep alive. People that are weak for now calling for reinforcements, those ready and able to fight leading the charge. Everyone there has their place.

The scenes we see are particularly harsh, but there's also quiet a bit of out-of-context. At least in the case of the commander losing his rank, a doofy commander that got promoted via his connections WOULD be hated by the competent squad. The subtext I'm reading there at least is that the guy who got promoted never liked that commander in the first place, and in the merit system took the first chance to stick it to him.

The starvation thing of the first guy is harsh, yes, but in the merit system that makes sense too. He's asking and whining for food because he's starving, he's hungry and trying to work the empathy angle. In a merit system, that'll NEVER work. It's ruthless, but even if you're starving you still have argument points. It's the approach of 'I'm starving right now, get me food and I'll pay you back in X, Y, and Z when I'm back to strength'. Empathy might be out, but you can still make bargains, alliances, and such. In the system, someone who can't do any of that to convince others to help is considered trash, and that does make sense to me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

curiousCat posted:

I think the point there is that "strength" doesn't necessarily mean physical strength or pure fighting ability, just that intelligence is a type of strength too.

The boy still seems conventionally strong too though given that part of his plan is to directly lead the charge on the demons.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The one thing I'm kind of questioning is the fact that Otome is dead. It seems that during the path they support, those people seem to get a lot more lines. So do Otome's bonus lines get someone else standing in for her, like Joe with the random medical expertise on that JP person? Though I actually liked that explanation of him knowing first aid through that, it implies him spending a lot of time at the hospital but unable to bring himself to be around the girlfriend for that entire period. Granted, it's probably just an excuse to make him an acceptable stand-in, but I still like the subtext.

Honestly, as cute as Jungo can be, the version of Keita's fate scenes with Jungo are honestly kind of detrimental. Keita NEEDS these fate scenes we're seeing right now. He actually comes off vaguely sympathetic and it's a major development in his growth, but Jungo just kind of steals the show when he's there.

Additionally, it says something that he actually goes and saves the lady, like even he realizes that it's something he needs to do.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like the Alice thing, it's appropriately creepy.

So for replacement Jungo, does he duplicate Jungo's skill set, or is it completely different?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

One problem is that only half the cast get real backstory, and that half of the cast is on the might makes right side. Yamato is super into might makes right because of how he was born into a secret family with power and had to watch the worms writhe below or whatever rich people think. Keita is into it because his dad burned all their money on get rich slow schemes and booze, and he doesn't want people with no real 'strength' getting into positions of power.

Meanwhile, the only person on Ronaldo's side with any real backstory is Airi, and hers doesn't even relate to his ideology. Why is Ronaldo so into justice? Why does he think a world where everyone helped each other out would be better? Is it just pie in the sky type thinking or does he have some sort of history?

I'm not saying every character needs a ten minute monologue about how their parents did/didn't love them, but give the character something to go off of. Ronaldo's whining about justice makes him seem like a Power Rangers lead without any underlying reason for it.

I don't quite agree on only half the dudes getting a real backstory. Makoto has the whole strong loyalty in conflict with the ideals she's ostensibly supporting, and Fumi gets enough explanation that I can genuinely believe her reasons in supporting the faction.

Most of the party members get development, but the Nagoya faction in general's backstories don't support their idealogy as strongly as Yamato's side. Though I do like how central Joe is in it.

I definitely agree that Ronaldo is really underdeveloped. He's basically showing himself as a massive doofus on any post day 7 content, and it's just generally :downs:. Though a point on Keita is that you wouldn't see most of his development if Jungo is still alive (that is still a stupid, stupid decision).

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This is one of those things where I don't quite like the ending just because it's so hideously sugary sweet.

Though a bigger problem for me is that literally none of the PCs make an appearance. In Yamato's ending, they may not have said anything, but the PCs WERE present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The way I see it with this ending is that a lot of people are going to die, there's just no way for only urban parts of Japan only to sustain them in the short term. However, in terms of the entire species I doubt it's the end of the human race. There will be the plucky few that find innovations to grow/find food in the ocean, and then humans repopulate as a largely more aquatic species.

It is interesting though that this does fulfill Yamato's wishes to some degree. Those with skills will rise to the top, because any previous high-borne statuses are effectively null in this crisis situation. Unless said high-borne people hold onto their power with cunning, which again helps the meritocracy view.

• Locked thread