Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Mujaddara is one of the first recipes I learned. It's simple — just onions, lentils, rice, olive oil, and salt. It's a classic Middle Eastern dish, and I've seen the recipe lots of places, but this one is my favorite. I like the ratio she uses. When I make it, I try to get four of the biggest onions I can find. If it's too dry for you, I bet it would be good with a bit of yogurt mixed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Made some Moros y Cristianos for a ski school pot luck.

Diced and sweated some green pepper, jalapeño, and onion. In bacon fat because I had some and also woke up some whole cumin in the hot fat before adding the veg. Then in with a pound of soaked black beans, bay leaf, soaking water, and a halved orange.

Cooked until the beans were tender, fished the bay and orange out, and juiced a lime into the pot off the heat. Mixed it with some rice done up with sliced and sauteed garlic. I also picked up a bottle of hot sauce to park next to it on the table but that walked off for people to doctor up the crockpot chili someone else brought.

Someone else made some dish of garbanzo beans a ndquinoa that was delicious but couldn't find them to ask for a recipe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Butch Cassidy posted:

Someone else made some dish of garbanzo beans a ndquinoa that was delicious but couldn't find them to ask for a recipe.
This is pretty much the "red beans and rice" of a whole area of the planet, so you can easily find recipes on it.

QUinoa is a whole grain, garbanzos are protein, and a little bit of oil and veggies rounds everything out nicely.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
i had some kind of chat garbanzos for lunch today and it was good as hell.
Garbanzo beans are great.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Those are also chickpeas, right? I'm not crazy on that.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That's correct.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We bought an Instant Pot around Christmas and I've been making bean soup once a week, at least. I tend to use a lot of ingredients but lately I've gone back to simple with nothing but onions sauteed in butter + beans + smoked ham hocks + vegetable stock + dash of salt & pepper. :drat: son

Also the Instant Pot is fantastic.

And nothing goes with bean soup better than cornbread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's been too hot lately to want to eat a hot bowl of beans, so yesterday I put together a cold penne pasta salad with navy beans, steamed fresh veggies, tuna, and pesto.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Okay, the Fourth of July is coming up. What are some good baked beans recipes?

Going to pick up a pound of white beans on the way home to soak. My plan is to soak them tonight, cook them tomorrow, and then warm them up in my dutch oven on the grill on the Fourth. Outside of onion and bacon (and some jalapeño that I can slip in...), I'm not sure what else to throw in.

Fwiw this looks promising. Smoke them tomorrow and then warm them up on the Fourth. https://youtu.be/3bPBCoRP5Lw

I do think I'd saute the veg in the bacon fat then add everything to that mix for some extra flavor.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 2, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
FWIW I did my own take on the YouTube video above and they are looking awesome. Got them on the grill for about another hour or so until they are done.

Sometime this week I can do a write-up with some pictures if you're interested.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not sure if it's too late, but these are amazing. I cut down to 1 jalapeno, though. Still got a decent amount of spice for someone that isn't huge on spice

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
better water down those two jalapenos, poo poo's gettin' wild

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Like I said, I'm not big on spicy. One gives it flavor and a bit of heat. Two was uncomfortable for me but probably would be fine for most people here.

Baked beans generally aren't spicy, not even in soul food. I thought it was worth a mention.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 10, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Are you placing whole jalapenos in and then pureeing with a food processor? The seeds are where the vast majority of the heat is, but I'd imagine the cayenne is where most of the spice in that recipe comes from even if you were chopping up the seeds too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IIRC I might have left a lot of the pith the first time, that might be part of it. The pith is hotter than the body too, right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

IIRC I might have left a lot of the pith the first time, that might be part of it. The pith is hotter than the body too, right?

Yep, the pith and the seeds are where the heat is.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's just the pith, the seeds only carry heat to begin with because they're sitting on the pith.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm very fond of smoked ham hocks or smoked pork neck bones in my beans. When the soup is done I fish them out and pick them apart, returning meat to the soup but in some ways they are a PITA. The ham hocks are mostly bone, fat, and skin, the neck bones have a lot of small bones and inevitably some end up in the soup. Also have noticed that smoked ham hocks vary a lot in quality. They look the same on the outside but some are meaty and others are skin and bone. Do you guys just deal with it or using something else like smoked sausage?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I use hocks but I've never had a problem. They're always meaty.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I got about a tablespoon of meat each from three hocks yesterday.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ What the gently caress? There was no meat at all? Take a picture of the hocks next time. I got at least a cup and a half of meat out of the smoked neckbones I used the other day, although I got a ton of sharp little bones as well and it was a lot more effort than hocks. I usually go with hocks because I can rely on them. I assume your technique is alright, at pulling the meat out of the fat and bones with proper utensils like a pair of forks and returning the bits of meat before serving, right?

Maybe it was a fluke, like the chorizo I bought that someone had overdone the mole sauce on, so it tasted like some sort of weird dessert sausage with cocoa.. :barf:

wormil posted:

I'm very fond of smoked ham hocks or smoked pork neck bones in my beans. When the soup is done I fish them out and pick them apart, returning meat to the soup but in some ways they are a PITA. The ham hocks are mostly bone, fat, and skin, the neck bones have a lot of small bones and inevitably some end up in the soup. Also have noticed that smoked ham hocks vary a lot in quality. They look the same on the outside but some are meaty and others are skin and bone. Do you guys just deal with it or using something else like smoked sausage?
I make a point to eyeball whatever is available whenever I'm at the market, and if I see a good deal or some really nice-looking stuff I grab it up and throw it in the freezer.

I like neck bones ok enough, but the small bones are really obnoxious and can be quite sharp and hard to distinguish.

edit: I don't care about the skin, I hate skin so it always gets picked and thrown out - usually attached to chunks of fat. The "skin and bone" you're talking about are, I believe, just a lower cut on the leg bone, I believe.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 15, 2017

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've also always gotten a lot of meat off of ham hocks. Can't imagine what kind of crappy hocks you somehow got.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

empty sea posted:

I've also always gotten a lot of meat off of ham hocks. Can't imagine what kind of crappy hocks you somehow got consistently get.

fixed :(

I make bean soup about 3x/month and the hocks are nearly meatless most of the time. Ironic considering I live in NC, hog farming is the thing here. Next weekend I'll see if there is anyone selling smoked hocks at the farmer's market.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man up and ask the butcher at your local store, for real. You could start off by being like, "so I keep buying these thinking they'll be meaty but they're not - is there something else I ought to be looking for, or are these just lovely?" Maybe there's some regional butchery bullcrap where hocks means broth bones or something who knows.

I mentioned at a local grocery that I couldn't find smoked hamhocks anywhere in town and within a month, they were stocking them.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

...are you sure you're getting actual ham hocks and not trotters?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Force de Fappe posted:

...are you sure you're getting actual ham hocks and not trotters?

The packages say ham hocks. Are ham hocks really that meaty everywhere else? Because I'm starting to get pissed off about getting hosed over.

fake edit; I just googled ham hock and the ones on google images are WAY meatier than what I'm getting. Fuckers must be removing the meat before or after smoking and selling the skin and bones. I'll talk to the butcher about it next time I go to the market.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

You just got to really look at them because hocks can have a good amount of meat or not a lot depending on the cut. I always when I by them look at the shape. If their more cylindrical they'll probably have more meat but if they look like it goes from a small to large sort of pyramidy shape it'll have less meat. I dunno why but that's what I look for and that's what my grandma told me to look for .

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Ham hock question: I have never had these. How do I do the Hoppin' John recipe? Just roll those around in the pan until they're browned, remove and return for the long simmer? I desire a saucier texture rather than soupier I suppose.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Peetown Manning posted:

Ham hock question: I have never had these. How do I do the Hoppin' John recipe? Just roll those around in the pan until they're browned, remove and return for the long simmer? I desire a saucier texture rather than soupier I suppose.

Browning them seems like more trouble than it's worth? If I were you I'd just add one or two (the recipe I follow calls for 12 oz.) at the point you add the water and beans to the aromatics you've sweat/sauteed/whatever. Leave it to simmer until the beans are tender and things have thickened to your liking, and a lot of the flavor and fat will have leeched from the ham hock. Mashing some of the beans can give you a creamier texture overall if that's what you want.

To add to this whole ham hock debate, maybe the ham hocks I buy just suck, but I only ever get a small (but very tasty) nugget of meat out of my ham hocks. The rest of the hock is mostly bone and rubbery skin and sinew. If it's flavored my stew, I consider its work done.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DasNeonLicht posted:

To add to this whole ham hock debate, maybe the ham hocks I buy just suck, but I only ever get a small (but very tasty) nugget of meat out of my ham hocks. The rest of the hock is mostly bone and rubbery skin and sinew. If it's flavored my stew, I consider its work done.

Continuing on this topic, smoked ham shanks are great exactly because they tend to be meatier.

If I understand correctly, they're basically the same thing but from the front legs instead of the back. Anyways, it's what i'd always put in my red beans and rice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I found the good meaty ham hocks today, $2.50 each, but they are not smoked. The smoked ones I was buying previously are about 4 for $5. That's okay, I can add liquid smoke.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dude what is wrong with the pigs where you live..? 2.50 a lb is a little high but reasonable. Do you have a like, poor folks' local grocery? Maybe a Latin butcher?

Or for real ask to talk to the butcher or meat buyer at your regular market and ask why the smoked jocks are so crappy, they probably don't know but will want to.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I forgot to post this, but THIS is a ham hock mate. :clint:

This is what they meant if you ever read "fists like ham shanks" in some old book. ;)

If you look at the bottom half, you can see the bulbous-looking bit? That's good solid lean chunks of meat. The other part that looks similar but flat, is that bone sheared flat. You wanna look for those bulgy bits that poke out past the skin, and make sure that the stuff you see from the end isn't just pure old bone.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 12, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yep, no grocery around me sells hocks like that. I asked around and was recommended a local hog butcher that supposedly has them but I haven't gone over there yet. I used one of the salt cured hocks and beef stock (salted) in a pot of beans and it was too salty. So next time I'll use unsalted stock and it should be about right. Very different flavor from those salt cured hocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah that's crappy. I literally bought that from wal mart. :(

Honestly though whenever you see an employee in a knee length white smock, ask them for ham hocks. I've had p good return on effort, usually after 2 or 3 asks it shows up in a few weeks.. But you better buy the he'll out of them for a few months, maybe talk up a few customers about POT BEANS...

Or find who the store manager is and butter them up mercilessly.. That works as well!

• Locked thread