Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

killaer posted:

Does anyone know any good recipes for Ful Medames? It's basically a middle eastern/mediterranean beans dish. This schwarma place next to me makes them so tasty - they come in this rich and creamy sauce - all I can tell is that there are some vegetables (onion/peppers), lots of oil, probably lots of butter, and some spices. It tastes loving delicious.

I've made Saveur's recipe (more or less) and it was good, if a bit plain. I don't know if it's traditional, but some berbere sprinkled on top made it much more appetizing. Sumac and za'atar don't seem out of place, either.

E: the sauce is the beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Has anyone tried Rancho Gordo beans? They sure talk up their beans' flavor compared to ordinary supermarket beans. And I like the idea of trying weird heirloom varieties. But I'm skeptical. Specifically, I'm skeptical of paying $6/lb for dried beans plus $10 shipping.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

ryanrs posted:

Specifically, I'm skeptical of paying $6/lb for dried beans plus $10 shipping.

I can't imagine any reason i'd ever do this for beans

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'd try it for whichever variety of cattle beans Serious Eats said to use for hoppin' john. But that's a special occasion thing. And they don't have that variety anyway.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I did get to work with them once and I will say they are some drat nice beans. Probably not worth the price for me personally, but still.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Any one have the low down on a good Cassoulet recipe/how to?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Goodpancakes posted:

Any one have the low down on a good Cassoulet recipe/how to?

Jacques Pepin. He has a few versions out. a 30min version with ham from "fast food my way", a shortcut version with mainly sausage I think, and a version in his "A french chef cooks at home".

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, literally nobody in town has kidney beans in bulk.

Thank you, Prime, for giving me free shipping on 16 pounds of beans at $1.75/lb :getin:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thank you, Prime, for giving me free shipping on 16 pounds of beans at $1.75/lb :getin:

That is a lot of beans.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

That is a lot an insane amount of beans.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When I was in New Mexico, my local grocery would stock 10lb bags of pintos. Probably not too much if your'e feeding a family or are going all in on a rice n' bean diet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sam's club has 7lb cans of beans.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

That is a lot of beans.

They keep for years properly stored.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Eeyo posted:

When I was in New Mexico, my local grocery would stock 10lb bags of pintos. Probably not too much if your'e feeding a family or are going all in on a rice n' bean diet.

The Costco here has 25 pound bags of pinto beans. I prefer black or read beans, though.

My fiancee is on an expensive diet (I'd be mad, but she's lost almost 30 pounds in two months), which means I'm on a cheap diet. I'm trying to make at least one big crock pot dish a week with beans and cheap meat for lunches and lazy dinners. At my local store kidney beans are like $3.50-4 for a one pound bag. I'll probably be through these in 4-5 months.

How do I properly store beans? Cool dry place? I can do dry, but not cool this summer.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Costco here has 25 pound bags of pinto beans. I prefer black or read beans, though.

My fiancee is on an expensive diet (I'd be mad, but she's lost almost 30 pounds in two months), which means I'm on a cheap diet. I'm trying to make at least one big crock pot dish a week with beans and cheap meat for lunches and lazy dinners. At my local store kidney beans are like $3.50-4 for a one pound bag. I'll probably be through these in 4-5 months.

How do I properly store beans? Cool dry place? I can do dry, but not cool this summer.

You store beans by cooking them and putting them in your belly for safe keeping. I usually store mine with my favourite spices so none of it has a chance to go bad.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Birb Katter posted:

You store beans by cooking them and putting them in your belly for safe keeping. I usually store mine with my favourite spices so none of it has a chance to go bad.

Funny, I do bread the same way.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Laminator posted:

Try Alton Brown's recipe, it's legit. You do have to cook the beans for like 8 hours or something. I don't remember how sweet they were, but you could always add more molasses or some honey if it's not to your tastes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

Making this recipe in the next few days, but I don't have a Dutch over. Should I put the bacon/onion/jalapenos in the crock pot before mixing in the paste, brown sugar, and molasses?

I'm also using kidney beans. Do I need to soak them for longer, since they are bigger?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 9, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Making this recipe in the next few days, but I don't have a Dutch over. Should I put the bacon/onion/jalapenos in the crock pot before mixing in the paste, brown sugar, and molasses?

I'm also using kidney beans. Do I need to soak them for longer, since they are bigger?

Render the bacon with the jalapeņo and onion in a skillet and then dump into the slow cooker and proceed as directed from there. And no, you do not have to soak your beans any longer.

Also, feel free to cut back on the bacon to even just a half pound if the full amount seems excessive.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, sounds good. I just wasn't sure if it would take longer to get water into the inside of the beans when they are like twice the size.

I'm planning on reducing the bacon by half. There's a butcher near me that has local hickory smoked bacon for barely more than grocery store bacon, so I'll pick up a half pound for the beans and a half pound for breakfast on Saturday.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, sounds good. I just wasn't sure if it would take longer to get water into the inside of the beans when they are like twice the size.

I'm planning on reducing the bacon by half. There's a butcher near me that has local hickory smoked bacon for barely more than grocery store bacon, so I'll pick up a half pound for the beans and a half pound for breakfast on Saturday.

Nice plan. Good bacon is twice as powerful as the hormel stuff.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm planning on reducing the bacon by half.

This is never a good decision.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm also planning on putting at least that much back as pork shoulder, because the dish I'm trying to replicate had pulled pork in it too. I've still got a lot of pork shoulder in the freezer, and I can only eat chili so many meals in a row.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm also planning on putting at least that much back as pork shoulder, because the dish I'm trying to replicate had pulled pork in it too. I've still got a lot of pork shoulder in the freezer, and I can only eat chili so many meals in a row.

Not in the spirit of the thread, but extra pulled pork is great in congee as well. Highly recommend checking that out.

Also tacos/burritos/quesadillas...

Also salads...

With/in eggs, particularly omelettes...

Piled on top of a burger...

As a stand alone pulled pork sandwich...

What I'm trying to say is pulled pork is a pretty versatile food that's good when combined with any situation that ends with it in your mouth.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The lazy cook's black beans on Serious Eats are delicious and as :effort: as food can get:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-lazy-cooks-black-beans-easy-recipe.html

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I guess it's interesting to put oranges in your beans but I can't believe that was a seriouseats article. It is literally put beans in pot with water and simmer.

which is the default way of making beans lol.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That is a weird recipe. I've never heard of adding then removing an onion. Is that for people who are too lazy to actually chop an onion? For fucks sake, you might as well just use canned beans and be done with it. I am intrigued by the orange.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Oranges in black beans is a classic combo - the acidity undercuts their earthiness and the floral aspect brings out their natural sweetness. Also, oranges go super well with cumin and oregano and onions.

I've added a whole onion to tomato sauce and removed it at the end, which produced a wholly different flavor from adding a chopped onion. I can see the merit. It also removes a step or two, which helps make it lazier.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Here's a good fuckin' bean recipe that my mom would make. We just called it "bean thing" because we didn't know another name for it. It's Midwestern as hell but in a good way.

Bean Thing

1# hamburger
1 can kidney beans
1/4 to 1/2# chopped bacon
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 can pork and beans
1 can of navy, red, or northern beans

sauce:
1/2 c. catsup
1/2 c brown sugar
salt and pepper
squirt of mustard and/or molasses
dash of Worchestershire sauce

Brown and drain the bacon , hamburger and onion. Put in the crock pot with the pork and beans. Drain the juice off the other cans of beans and add. Mix the sauce ingredients together and stir into bean mixture. Put it in the crock pot on low all drat day.

Eat it with some fresh-baked bread because you just made a zero-effort dinner, use that free time to make some loving bread you sad sack of poo poo.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If you add something super acidic to dried beans before they soften they will never soften and be tough. Same if you add sugars before softening. As such I am suspicious of this Orange juice thing. Throwing them in after the fact, sure. But while cooking?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tomatoes are fairly acidic, aren't they? Should I cook the beans without tomatoes for about half the time, and then mix in the tomatoes?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tomatoes are fairly acidic, aren't they? Should I cook the beans without tomatoes for about half the time, and then mix in the tomatoes?

Cook the beans without the tomatoes until the beans are cooked.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have never done juice in the beans but I can confirm that orange slices with black beans can be pretty rad. It's apparently some south american/Brazlian thing. Someone here recommended it to me actually.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Cook the beans without the tomatoes until the beans are cooked.

So like 6-8 hours? And then put in the tomatoes for an hour or 2?I'm going to be doing beans again in a few days. These didn't get as soft as I would like. Are jalapeños, onions, vegetable broth, molasses, or brown sugar acidic?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not sure what recipe you're dealing with, but if you throw rinsed, unsoaked dry beans with ample water into a covered baking dish, they'll be ready after about 90-120 minutes at 250F in the oven.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh. I was making this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

It says to soak them, and I was putting them in a crockpot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. I was making this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

It says to soak them, and I was putting them in a crockpot.

I've made variations on that recipe quite a few times. I've found that it works well to make the sauce separately and then add it after the beans are cooked. It takes like 2-2.5 hours of cooking instead of 8.

Check this out:
http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/90-minute-no-soak-beans.html

It works.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm convinced, but I don't have a Dutch oven. I have an aluminum stock pot, and that's it. I also have some beans soaking already. Is it possible to do something similar with soaked beans, or should I just crockpot cook them and add the sauce afterward?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm convinced, but I don't have a Dutch oven. I have an aluminum stock pot, and that's it. I also have some beans soaking already. Is it possible to do something similar with soaked beans, or should I just crockpot cook them and add the sauce afterward?

I haven't tried them with the crockpot, but I can imagine if you bring the beans up to the boil on the stove, and then dump them into the crock pot, they'll work. I actually use a Chinese-style "Rice pot", which is a ceramic dish with a lid. I boil the beans in a separate pot and then transfer them to the oven. Other things that I cook in that dish at 250 turn out more or less as I would expect them to from the slow cooker. Soaking won't make it work any less - the takeaway from that article is more that you don't actually need to plan 16 hours ahead if you want to turn your dry beans into food.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I put tomatoes in with dry beans all the time, the beans soften. Myth busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure what recipe you're dealing with, but if you throw rinsed, unsoaked dry beans with ample water into a covered baking dish, they'll be ready after about 90-120 minutes at 250F in the oven.

Not true at altitude, for anyone who lives high up, btw.

• Locked thread