Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not true at altitude, for anyone who lives high up, btw.

Good to know. Does it need more time, more heat, pressure, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seconding that question. I live at just shy of 5000 feet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A loooooot more time, as well as a little more heat.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When you say a lot, how much are we talking? I would really like to have tender beans for once.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Like double.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Butch Cassidy posted:

The lazy cook's black beans on Serious Eats are delicious and as :effort: as food can get:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-lazy-cooks-black-beans-easy-recipe.html

I made this last night. Found it to be very lackluster(but the beans DID soften!). Just not a whole lot going on in it flavor wise.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've never been able to make black beans taste like anything. My guess is that in restaurants where they taste really good, you're probably eating mostly pork fat with a couple beans dropped in

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
In my experience the secret to tasty black beans has been to boil them to mush and add a load of salt.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Also aromatics. I use orange peel, onions, garlic, chiles, and thyme. Loads of each, and plenty of salt. It helps to cook them in stock, too.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've found that adding a bit of white vinegar or hot sauce gives black beans a good flavour.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Usually I just cook the beans plain and make sure to season generously with salt, a little bit of mustard, and brown sugar. You don't want it to be sweet (unless you're doing some baked beans style thing) but using some sugar will really make the beans' flavor pop.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
My favorite beans are from a restaurant on the Danforth in Toronto called The Wren. I've been toying around with the recipe and I think I'm pretty close (at least the chef suggests that I am, although he could have saved me a lot of time by just telling me the ingredients). Toronto's got a lot of Jamaican influence and The Wren is sort of Mexican fusion. It's going to sound weird, but drat is it delicious.

2 cups black beans, soaked over night.
In a stockpot fry an onion and garlic until the soften and then add:
1.5 tbsp Cumin
1.5 tbsp Chili Powder
1.5 tsp allspice
1.5 tsp cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks
1.5 tsp cayenne
3 bay leaves (I don't know if they do anything, but if I've got them they're going in.)
Adjust salt to taste during the cooking process.

Cover contents of pot with water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Once simmering add a diced tomato and a bunch of finely chopped cilantro. Simmer until liquid reaches the consistency you want.

I've tried a couple of variations. I've thrown in a slab of cured pork belly, but I find that it's mostly good for textural variation. The spice content is so pronounced that the porky background salt flavour it adds is quite mild. I've also thrown in some jalapenos and chipotle in adobo on different batches if I've got them around.

I have had the beans over rice, pasta and grits. I sort of prefer macaroni.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ bay leaves certainly do something, if you don't use bay leaves in most recipes where you're used to having them, it's a very notable difference!

I skimmed through this thread, and it seems as though it's mostly concentrated around black beans, red beans, and various sweet bean or pseudo-chili recipes. I live on the west coast where you can't shake a stick without hitting a burrito cart or taco truck, and frankly nobody gives a drat about baked beans or chili that I've ever met around these parts, so I have always wanted to perfect the art of making pinto beans and refried beans, with that velvety creamy texture that makes for perfect burritos and such. My mom grew up on them so she was always great at it however, she didn't really go out of her way to teach me anything about it, so I was left to pick up a crockpot (or three, or four.. God you should see the back corners of my kitchen cabinets :laugh: ) and fumble around with things myself..

Note! this recipe doesn't use a crock pot, because i've found I'd rather spend a couple hours cooking my beans than leaving them on all day and hoping they came out the way I intended..! I use a lot of cheap and bulk beans including reservation food supplies, and sometimes with old beans, you can get better results with a real pot and a stove, than a slow cooker.

Burrito Truck-Style Pintos - time: overnight soak, plus 2 - 4 hours cook time. makes 4-6 quarts, depending on size of cook pot.

First things first: rinse (two or three times) and then soak the pintos overnight if at all possible, expect them to gain about 50% bulk, so make sure to leave plenty of water covering them, and don't fill the container most than maybe 2/3 of the way up, so they don't start falling out onto the counter while you're asleep. Beans are filthy. Once you soak them, toss them into a colander and rinse them another time or two.

Now we just go to to it, throw the beans into the pot, throw in enough water to cover them with a couple inches (they won't bulk up any more, so if you use too much water now, you'll have bean soup - which is good, but then I'd throw in a couple big hamhocks and bell peppers and onions and serve it in bowls,) of water. Chop up a small onion and throw it in - it'll dissolve completely, (if you want onion chunks to remain and have texture, toss another half or whole onion an hour or so before they're done, but we're going for velvety reefers, not soup, today).

Throw in a couple/few cloves or garlic, or a couple/few tablespoons of garlic powder. No salt yet. Throw in a tablespoon or two of cumin, and some paprika (I like smoked paprika). now the secret ingredient *drumroll* chorizo! They sell 1 lb chaws of pork or beef chorizo for roughly $1 around here, so it's way more cost-effective than hamhocks, and I prefer the texture and small amount of spice the chorizo adds. You could probably skip it entirely, or use soyrizo (I love soyrizo.) Get out your big wooden spoon and smash that chorizo to bits - really, dump it in the water before it's gotten too hot, and then just bash it until there's no bite-sized pieces left, it will dissolve into the beans and be almost undetectable when finished.

Now, cover and heat until you get a good boil (stir every once in a while, to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom and scorches), and then IMMEDIATELY reduce to simmer, gap the lid and then leave on a simmer for a couple hours.

Once the beans have simmered for a while (you did gap the lid right? or else you'll have greasy spatters all over the pot and the stove!) you will notice that they will form an oily, bubbly foam on top, similar to sea foam but brown/red. Get a large spoon and skim as much of this foam off the top as you can (without stirring! If you stir they'll dissipate again and give you worse gas) and throw it away however you deem fit. Stir things a bit, check the bottom for scorched stuff(if anything scorches and burns to the bottom you'll have to be very careful to not scrape it off the bottom while cooking, or it'll make it all taste burnt), taste it and see if you need anything - now is the safe time to add salt to taste, hot sauces, more garlic, cumin, etc. Cook for a while longer, until the beans are the right consistency and doneness when you eat some.

Now... Get out your potato masher! I had used this thing maybe once in my entire life to make potatoes until one day I realized that I could skip the "refry" part of refried beans, and just use the potato masher to smoosh a bunch of them and thicken up the consistency of my beans! :science: Be careful using it, if you have burnt crap on the bottom and you get too enthusiastic spinning or moving it back and forth, you could scrape up more charred crap - burnt beans are unsalvageable once you scrape the charcoal off the bottom and get it into the rest of the mix, but it's easy to pour off most of the good beans and then clean out the burnt portions later on if you managed to do this - I still do it about every third time I cook beans. Let it sit a little bit, and they're ready to eat!

I make large batches of beans because I like to store them in medium-large rubbermaid containers and then freeze them and thaw as needed - they can easily last most of a month if I make a burrito for breakfast most days.

Sorry I don't have a like, measured out recipe.. My roommate literally uses a digital scale to measure his ingredients while cooking - but I also noticed he can only make about 3 total recipes and must have his cookbook handy, so I've worked a lot at just guesstimating most things I cook - it helps a ton with improvisation when you are short of ingredients or need to use something before it goes south on you. If anybody is interested I would be happy to write everything down the next time I make a pot of beans, I used the last of them up the other day.

wormil posted:

I put tomatoes in with dry beans all the time, the beans soften. Myth busted.
Tomatoes aren't very acidic. If you throw in a bunch of vinegar you'll have beans that're hard as gently caress, and cannot be fixed. Same if you overt-salt, or salt too early.. People brining their beans sounds kooky to me because I usually don't throw almost any salt in, until the last 30 minutes or hour.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh. I was making this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

It says to soak them, and I was putting them in a crockpot.
You want to soak some kinds of beans to make them more easily digestible.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 4, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Epazote will help those beans a bit, too. Not just flavor, but in the "might give you gas" department.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Epazote will help those beans a bit, too. Not just flavor, but in the "might give you gas" department.
Hrm I've never heard of that, very interesting! I eat beans enough that they don't give me gas, in any case. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also ugh, I didn't realize my "recipe" was a tl;dr WoT abortion. Maybe I need to stop posting so early in the day before I'm drunk and feelin' reductive..!

I'll make a pot of beans tomorrow and make things right, apologies. I'm just too used to "throw a handful of this and half a handful of that" measuring. Also, loving god I ramble on and I deleted 1/4 of the text I typed up before posting and it still was that damned long..! :barf:

I don't think it gets much more po' folks than a bag of beans straight from the reservation "commodds" and a couple of mean little onions. Gonna make divine burritos tomorrow morning, though! :ese:

edit: the water on the beans is really low because they are ALREADY mostly soaked and bulked-up, I added water to them twice.. The smaller pot was originally half-full but these are fresher than I'm used to so they were about to overwhelm the (4 quart?) little Reverware I was soaking them in.. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 4, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yer my kind of cook.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Get a room you two.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yesterday I threw "wisdoms" and everything I previously did with bean recipes away, and just cooked beans in a pot. So no soaking, plus using salt and other flavourings.

I was going to make frijoles negros but I was out of black beans. I had finally found some pinto beans the other week, so I looked up recipes like frijoles a la charra or whatever. All the recipes I found started with precooked beans. I didn't want that, I wanted to cook the beans in a flavoured sauce like I cooked black beans.
So all I did was fry some onion, carrot, celery and garlic in bacon fat (I keep some in the freezer from "better times".)
Add some homemade cajun spice mix I had made with smoked paprika a few weeks ago. Added some cumin, salt, bay leaves and allspice, water to cover.
2 hrs later the beans were done, left it for another hr to reduce and thicken, then salt to taste, added some vinegar and sugar.

E: It was a bit of a worry with the beans softening because they were from an unknown or tested source. I bought them from a small veg market in middle suburbia, and they were just sitting in a large plastic lined pail, uncovered. No where near anywhere you could buy any Mexican ingredients too.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 29, 2015

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When my parents visited me in NM for the Balloon Festival my dad bought a bag of 'Anasazi' beans from a guy by the Taos Gorge. They're very pretty:

I'm cooking them tomorrow morning, will report on gorge guy's beans.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Ligurian Bean Stew recipe from hippressurecooking is a pretty solid base to play around with. I like to up the spices and have something simple day one and then futz with the next day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I accidentally posted this in the chili thread by mistake, surprisingly the thread did not explode into a beans in chili debate, anyway...

Americas Test Kitchen made a claim I've been suspecting for some time, that canned beans are better than dried because they are cooked and canned under controlled conditions whereas dried beans are stored in various conditions and usually are too dry. Their preference is Goya. I stopped using dried beans about a year ago because my taste buds have been telling me the same thing. Just curious what others think about it.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

wormil posted:

I accidentally posted this in the chili thread by mistake, surprisingly the thread did not explode into a beans in chili debate, anyway...

Americas Test Kitchen made a claim I've been suspecting for some time, that canned beans are better than dried because they are cooked and canned under controlled conditions whereas dried beans are stored in various conditions and usually are too dry. Their preference is Goya. I stopped using dried beans about a year ago because my taste buds have been telling me the same thing. Just curious what others think about it.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend I'd say. I'm sure others have opinions on the quality but really to me they are about the same, except the dry beans are like 25% the cost and take much more prep to cook. Sometimes I want to save money and make a nice pot of beans. Other times I just want the beans ready to go.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

wormil posted:

Well, what are you doing with them? I certainly use both. I only keep one or two kinds of dried beans on hand (right now only one kind), because I buy them in bulk and store them for years, but also keep a variety of Goya cans on hand so if I want some other kind of beans, I can have them. There's also the simple fact that dried beans are so much cheaper that the minimal quality deviation and a couple of hours unattended are easily worth it. And even quality-wise, while I'm sure Goya can make the beans more perfectly cooked than I can, they don't cook them from scratch in the flavors I want, so even if my beans aren't perfectly tender the way Goya's are, they have flavor other than bean and salt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wormil posted:

I still use both, but I use canned more often than dry now. It's a convenience/serving size thing. I only bust out the pot if I'm making something that would use 2+ cans at once and I have the time.

I prefer "PC Blue Menu" (Canadian store brand) canned beans because they low sodium.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Beans are such a small portion of our food costs (family of 4) that buying dry doesn't make any appreciable difference in the budget. From memory I think a small bag of beans is about 50 cents, while a large can is about $1.50; so maybe a $1 per pot of soup.

And I don't think they are saying that Goya can cook beans better than you (us) but that they are starting with quality controlled beans which result in a better cooked bean. Whereas the dried beans are stored in various warehouses, trucks, weather and humidity conditions, and supermarkets until being sold; allowing the beans to dry out too much.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If you buy dried beans and can them yourself you have the best of both worlds, I think. That's something I'm looking into, at least.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Eeyo posted:

When my parents visited me in NM for the Balloon Festival my dad bought a bag of 'Anasazi' beans from a guy by the Taos Gorge. They're very pretty:

I'm cooking them tomorrow morning, will report on gorge guy's beans.

Those are good beans.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey, this thread is still alive!

BEAN GIVEAWAY IT'S OVER

I'm a member of the Rancho Gordo bean club, which means I get five pounds of beans and a surprise gift every quarter. I can't eat all these beans by myself, and I'm too stupid to give up my membership in this (actually somewhat exclusive) bean club, so I'm giving away a chunk of my hoard.

We're going to start with this lot:

I'll cross these off as they're claimed.
  • Large White Lima Test Pattern
  • Cassoulet - G. IN CT (EMAIL ONLY)
  • Corona - EvilLile
  • Corona - Mr. Wiggles
  • Marcella - G IN CT (EMAIL ONLY)
  • Midnight - Crazyeyes
  • Ayocote Blanco - EvilLile
  • Alubia Blanca - Big Centipede
  • Garbanzo - Suspect Bucket
  • Garbanzo - MonkeyBot
  • Ayocote Negro - Big Centipede
  • Vaquero - Crazyeyes
  • Cranberry - SymmetryrtemmyS
  • Cranberry - MonkeyBot

Non-Beans
  • Popping corn - Suspect Bucket
  • Quinoa - SymmetryrtemmyS

Claim one or two bags in this thread. PM me your address (continental US only, please), and I'll send beans out to you for free. If you don't have PMs, email [removed]. Some of these beans might be up to 2 years old, but that's apparently not very old compared to what you can find at your grocery.

If this goes smoothly I'll probably give away some more in a later post.

If you get some beans, it would be cool if you post something about what you used them for. A recipe, pics, a review, whatever. You don't have to, but it would be cool.

Also, one lucky bean buddy will receive a mystery gift, also from Rancho Gordo.

Don't ask me about these beans - I know as much as you do. I get them in the mail and sometimes the heirloom varieties have no info about them on the internet. Use your best judgment in preparing - and hey, if you mess 'em up, at least they were free!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 27, 2016

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013
:canada:

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Claim one or two bags in this thread. PM me your address (continental US only, please), and I'll send beans out to you for free.

:canada: damnit.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

I'm sorry, my maple-scented friend! It's way more expensive to ship across the imaginary line than any of these beanbags are worth.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

:siren: BEAN GIVEAWAY :siren:

• Midnight
  • Vaquero

These please

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Lemme try those Alubia Blanca and the Ayocote Negra, fellow bean enthusiast.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Roger those two requests. I added an email address for those without PMs.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 15, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Popping Corn and Garbanzos for hummus please! I will gift back with candied grapefruit.

Please continue to hoard beans.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

:siren: BEAN GIVEAWAY :siren:

I'm a member of the Rancho Gordo bean club, which means I get five pounds of beans and a surprise gift every quarter. I can't eat all these beans by myself, and I'm too stupid to give up my membership in this (actually somewhat exclusive) bean club, so I'm giving away a chunk of my hoard.

We're going to start with this lot:

I'll cross these off as they're claimed.
  • Large White Lima
  • Cassoulet
  • Corona
  • Marcella
  • Midnight - Crazyeyes
  • Ayocote Blanco
  • Alubia Blanca - Big Centipede
  • Garbanzo - Suspect Bucket
  • Garbanzo
  • Ayocote Negro - Big Centipede
  • Vaquero - Crazyeyes
  • Cranberry
  • Cranberry

Non-Beans
  • Popping corn - Suspect Bucket
  • Quinoa

Claim one or two bags in this thread. PM me your address (continental US only, please), and I'll send beans out to you for free. If you don't have PMs, email numberonesexydad at gmail dot com. Some of these beans might be up to 2 years old, but that's apparently not very old compared to what you can find at your grocery.

If this goes smoothly I'll probably give away some more in a later post.

If you get some beans, it would be cool if you post something about what you used them for. A recipe, pics, a review, whatever. You don't have to, but it would be cool.

Also, one lucky bean buddy will receive a mystery gift, also from Rancho Gordo.

Don't ask me about these beans - I know as much as you do. I get them in the mail and sometimes the heirloom varieties have no info about them on the internet. Use your best judgment in preparing - and hey, if you mess 'em up, at least they were free!

Wow, thanks! This is very generous! I've been wanting to try some of those varieties. I'd love to try the cranberry beans and quinoa. PM sent with address.

e: if you get a lot of replies, just the cranberry beans, please.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 26, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Messaged!

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Sure, I'll take some beans from the internet. If Wiggles didn't claim them I'd like:

• Corona
  • Ayocote Blanco

With Cranberry and Garbanzo as backups if he beat me to one of those (in that order). I'll send a PM with the address.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT
I have PMed about beans. We'll see how this all shakes down since there's 2 people before me making claims on the unclaimed beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I love cranberry and white beans so how about those Marcellas too?

Thanks!

• Locked thread