Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'd love to try those Cassoulet beans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
OK! The beans are distributed and packaged. Some even shipped today!
The giveaway post has been updated.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post455434206

I went in chronological order of request receipt and satisfied almost everybody, I THINK.

Test Pattern and TheQuietWilds, I couldn't give you what you asked for but I am sending you each some mystery beans.
E: Midniter, you also get mystery beans.

If I messed anything up, I'm sorry! I didn't intentionally stiff anybody.

Thanks for playing!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 27, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Wooo mystery beans! Thanks!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post455434206

I went in chronological order of request receipt and satisfied almost everybody, I THINK.

Test Pattern and TheQuietWilds, I couldn't give you what you asked for but I am sending you each some mystery beans.

Thanks for playing!

You're doing God's work, my friend.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I'm going to eat those goddamn beans

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Cooked up my first goddamn beans because of this thread; gonna cook up some beams tomorrow because of this goddamn thread. Let's see some beans, folks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thanks for playing!

Thanks! You're my beany hero. I might put those cranberry beans in a white chicken chili. Or maybe something else. I dunno.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Thanks for playing!

MYSTERY BEANS (Not actually a mystery apparently I'm getting Limas, which I never liked as a child, but I'm excited to make them myself and not have them be mealy poo poo out of the freezer.) Thanks!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Test Pattern posted:

MYSTERY BEANS (Not actually a mystery apparently I'm getting Limas, which I never liked as a child, but I'm excited to make them myself and not have them be mealy poo poo out of the freezer.) Thanks!

Well, because I know you didn't want limas (and I didnt like them as a kid either) you are receiving an additional bag of mystery beans.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Headin' to the Hispanic market to get some bean fixins. Homemade stock simmering on the stove the last four hours. Might use the stock in my black beans. Playing fast and loose here.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Thanks! You're my beany hero. I might put those cranberry beans in a white chicken chili. Or maybe something else. I dunno.

They work great in minestrone and ribollita.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Butch Cassidy posted:

They work great in minestrone and ribollita.

Am I correct in thinking that I can use them anywhere I'd use other white beans?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Well, because I know you didn't want limas (and I didnt like them as a kid either) you are receiving an additional bag of mystery beans.

Wow thanks! I'm still going to cook those limas and report, because I last ate them as a literal child, "cooked" from frozen by a woman who believes that long stewing "makes all the bad stuff come out".

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Am I correct in thinking that I can use them anywhere I'd use other white beans?

Yes. Romans (which are basically cranberry beans) are my default bean where no particular bean is required.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm going to ship the majority of the beans on Saturday. Sorry for the delay. If you didn't get yours today, you'll get them next week.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I'm going to ship the majority of the beans on Saturday. Sorry for the delay. If you didn't get yours today, you'll get them next week.

Holy crap, you sprung for the GOOD shipping. I got mine already! Now to make a fresh batch of candied grapefruit...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Suspect Bucket posted:

Holy crap, you sprung for the GOOD shipping. I got mine already! Now to make a fresh batch of candied grapefruit...

No rush m8.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Well, I do have to pick them off the tree and all. That'll take MINUTES.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Test Pattern posted:

Wow thanks! I'm still going to cook those limas and report, because I last ate them as a literal child, "cooked" from frozen by a woman who believes that long stewing "makes all the bad stuff come out".

I thought I remembered reading something from RG on the matter, and have confirmed:

http://www.ranchogordo.com/products/large-white-lima-beans

quote:

Good, new crop Limas (like ours!) are worthy of your attention, especially if you grew up eating those nasty frozen beans, under pressure from your dear old mom. Chances are she over cooked them.

So, they know everyone hates lima beans for the same reason. You may be receiving the best surprise of all the beans, I guess (don't set your expecations too high), but I do not know how old the beans are, exactly.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Got my beans not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet, but it's gonna be good.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

I thought I remembered reading something from RG on the matter, and have confirmed:

http://www.ranchogordo.com/products/large-white-lima-beans

So, they know everyone hates lima beans for the same reason. You may be receiving the best surprise of all the beans, I guess (don't set your expecations too high), but I do not know how old the beans are, exactly.

I am super loving excited. seriously. I am excited about beans. I am also excited about conservas. I get way too much excitement out of my pantry.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE: Quality of canned vs dried beans.

For me, beans represent one of the most expensive parts of my food budget. The vegetables I buy are usually $0.35 - $1.00 a pound. Rice is dirt cheap (thank all the gods). Fruit is expensive, but if I wait for a sale, I can generally get it fairly cheap. Beans, however, rarely come on sale where I live, and the Indian stores where I buy my beans NEVER put beans on sale. Were I to replace the dried beans with tinned beans, we'd both very quickly notice the difference in our grocery bill.

While I like America's Test Kitchen, their spergery sometimes gets in the way of what normal people really need. In most applications, you don't need a bean to be perfectly consistent every time. For another thing, even though the vast majority of Americans don't eat that much in the way of beans, if you purchase your beans from purveyors with very high turnover, you're likely going to be getting the freshest beans you can find. I'm not sure where ATK was buying their beans when they did their tests, but I'm can bet it wasn't at Mexico Lindo, or Patel Bros. If that douchenozzle Chris Kimball is anything to go by, ATK is pretty much peak whiteness. (That fucker is still bitter about vegetarians, because he went to eat with smelly hippies, and they fed him boiled rutabaga. Listen. If you trust smelly hippies, you get what's coming to you. If you haven't evolved since that ONE MEAL in the 1960s, and still carry on about how vegetarian food is bland and boring, you deserve your coronary.) They're getting their beans at white people stores, which don't go through them rapidly.

HOWEVER, I will contend that there are cases where the tinned bean /is/ preferable.

White Beans, Navy Beans, Great Northern Beans: If I'm using these for a dip, I always use dried beans and cook them from scratch. This is because the problems that I have with white beans from scratch is that they frequently have a lot of the beans split. This looks grim when you're making white bean soup, but isn't a problem when it's white bean dip. When I want the white beans to be white beans, and stand out, I will always use tinned, because I have yet to find a purveyor of white beans with the level of freshness that I'm used to with the rest of the beans I buy.

Black Turtle Beans: If the dark black colour is important to me, I'll use tinned. If I just want the taste of black turtle beans, I'll cook them from scratch. I find that although I can easily find fresh Black Turtle Beans, it's rare to find one who maintains that beautiful black colour the way I want it to sometimes. Also, this is one of those dried beans that you MUST buy fresh, else they turn out like hard little bullets no matter how long they're cooked. If you don't have a bean purveyor with very rapid turnover, use tinned black beans.

Garbanzo: If I'm shooting for hummus, I will never use tinned, because tinned garbanzo beans are never cooked long enough for my liking to make hummus. Also, garbanzos are extremely plentiful where I live. My neighbourhood is part Arabic, part Mexican, and part Indian. All three cultures love garbanzo beans. In a 1 mile radius, I can find all different sizes of garbanzos, from the huge monster ones in the bean aisle to the teeny tiny ones sold in Indian markets. Garbanzo is also a bean that is very forgiving of pressure cooking. Even if I overcook them a bit, the skins don't tend to split for me. Because of the ease of finding these fresh, I always reach for dried. I find that the taste of tinned garbanzo to be inferior to the dried ones.

Pinto: Much like white beans, I will reach for tinned pinto beans only when I need the beans to be whole and distinct. Otherwise, I find that pinto beans will fall apart the second they're cooked to my liking.

Lentils: I have found that tinned lentils taste far inferior to the ones I cook fresh. There is but ONE exception, and it's the Trader Joe's cooked lentils sold in vacuum bags. The texture is great for salads, and the flavour is wonderful. If I can afford this (it's I think around $2.50 per pound bag), I'll get it as a nice little treat, and cook it with plenty of oil, some thyme, and salt and pepper. I toss it through in a nonstick skillet until it gets toasty and crispy. Then, I add in a boatload of well caramelised onion, a head or so of roasted garlic that I smoosh up, and some fresh parsley. It's such a delicious little snack. However, for the vast majority of my recipes, I want the lentils to cook with something, and tinned lentils are a disappointment.

Fava Beans: These fuckers are stubborn as hell, and take forever to cook. I've found that the tinned fava beans taste great, and take almost no effort when compared to fresh.

Black Garbanzo: I have yet to find tinned black garbanzo in many places outside of some speciality Indian markets. That's likely because the tinned ones taste foul. Always reach for dried black garbanzo.

Black Eyed Peas: Tinned black eyed peas taste disgusting. Frozen black eyed peas are quite delicious, but are also rather expensive. I'm happy to use fresh, because it cooks pretty quickly, and it is fairly cheap.

Adzuki: For use in sweets, I'll reach for tinned. For everything else, I'll make it from scratch. Tinned adzuki beans tend to be a lot more fall apart and mushy than I like in my (for example) adzuki and kabocha stew.

Kidney Bean: I find the colour of the tinned kidney beans to be disappointing. It's usually washed out when compared to the beautiful dark dark red kidney beans I can find at my Indian market. I also find that the tinned kidney beans are way too short for my liking. They're also cooked to a level that's too mushy for my needs.

Mung Beans: I like to sprout these, so I tend to reach for dried.

Apologies for the wall of text. I really do enjoy cooking and eating various types of beans, and can't stand idly by when someone like ATK makes this dumb claim that because a factory can produce a consistent product, it's somehow superior to something that can be made at home. Sometimes that consistency is very important, but other times it's a hindrance.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's not really about ATK, I stopped buying dried a year before seeing that episode. Prior to that I just thought maybe my local beans were the problem, but it's mostly a texture issue as I tend to overwhelm the beans with other flavors.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Got my beans today, not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet though

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Big Centipede posted:

Got my beans today, not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet though

Eat 'em

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Good idea.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Beans arrived this morning. Will cook with them this weekend. Thanks!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man i looked up the nutrition data for beans: they are crazy good for you! Holy poo poo

Anyway I have been trying to make more bean-based dishes. My gf bought home a huge ham leg cos it was on special so I ended up making a kind of baked beans sort of dish with some chorizo, cannelini beans, 2 cans of tomato, some maple syrup, some worcestishire sauce and the ham bone. Oh and garlic celery and onion obvs.

It's pretty tasty! So much ham in it though. I had it this morning with an egg and a slice of buttered toast.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT
Oh yeah I received my beans on Monday I think. That was fast. Now to convince my wife that she doesn't hate every bean.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Got my beans on Monday too. Thanks, Number 1 Sexy Dad!!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
No problem, guys! Thanks for helping me clean out my pantry without wasting everything.

redweird posted:

It's pretty tasty! So much ham in it though. I had it this morning with an egg and a slice of buttered toast.

I love beans and toast. Beans, toast, and some small charred tomatoes. And hot sauce. And poached eggs. If I could wake up early enough every day I'd probably have a full English bfast and skip every other meal.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Got Beans! Thanks #1 Sexy Dad! Excited about the Indian-Lady beans (which I've never heard of.)

Will prep this weekend.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I bought some appaloosa beans because they looked neat. What should I do with my appaloosa beans?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 15, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Spoiler: dried beans take more effort and may not taste as good as pre-seasoned and pre-cooked canned beans (which were probably dried beans anyway).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Dinner : Bean, Beet, and Sausage stew. Onion, celery, red bell pepper, some kind of mildly spicy green pepper, and 2 small beets, softened; then added tomatoes, jalapenos, lentils, navy beans and Kielbasa. Okay, I know it looks like a horror movie but trust me, it is delicious -- earthy, hearty, sweet and savory.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Wanna eat dat stew. I've been making bean salads with cannellini beans, celery, capsicum, grated carrot, spring onion and homemade vinaigrette dressing. Keeps in the fridge for a few days and makes a good lunch to take to work :chef:

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Don't post often but figured I'd let you know the Rancho Gordo Bean Club just opened up again if you want to get all fancy with your beans. I think I read about it in this thread actually and have decided to give it a shot myself.

http://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/samplers-and-sets/products/the-rancho-gordo-bean-club

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

AK-47 posted:

Don't post often but figured I'd let you know the Rancho Gordo Bean Club just opened up again if you want to get all fancy with your beans. I think I read about it in this thread actually and have decided to give it a shot myself.

http://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/samplers-and-sets/products/the-rancho-gordo-bean-club

Out of stock again... Got mine though!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for beans to make with either chicken breast or pork tenderloin? I have like 13 pounds of beans left that I want to keep eating because they've got a pretty good macro split and high fiber, but my wife doesn't like the smell of the baked beans I normally make. I also want to do something that isn't so high in sodium. I'm probably going to put them over rice to fill them out even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Go full Tuscan. White beans.

• Locked thread