Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Hey guys I am pretty sure I didn't see a thread on the first page about German cuisine, just thought I would offer some of my favorite recipes that I've learned from my mother and I would absolutely LOVE to hear some other recipes from you guys.

Alright, first things first, the food you think of when you think of Germans. Jägerschnitzel, my family makes it with pork, but I've heard of chicken being used and in some cases beef. You're going to want to pick up however many pork chops you want for your meal (I generally eat two and if i'm feeling extra special i'll eat three). I highly recommend either picking up some frozen french fries or if you can make your own, because you are going to want to soak up that leftover sauce and mushrooms for sure!

-vegetable oil
~Eggs
Dry Ingredients- Bread Crumbs, All-purpose flower, and a bit of salt and pepper.
For the sauce you will want some sour cream, some beef bouillon, an onion, some fresh mushrooms, cornstarch, and water.

Coat the pork in flour then dip it into the egg, then cover it in the bread crumbs and place in the oil until fried to golden brown on both sides. After the pork is fried, take it out and place on a plate or if you want put it in another skillet on lowest heat to keep it warm. While the pork is being fried in another skillet, take your mushrooms and chopped onions and cook until they are lightly browned. Pour in the water and bouillon cube and stir it all together. Simmer this for ~ 15-20 minutes. Now put the cornstarch and sour cream into the sauce and stir, then place on low heat until thickened. Now comes the best part! Take that sauce, pour it all over those schnitzels (and your fries) and go to town like a true barbarian!! That's all for now, I'm hoping to update this with more recipes so everyone can enjoy the somewhat unknown German cuisine!

FRIKADELLEN- German Meatballs! Also known as buletten in other parts of Germany, these easy to make meatballs are delicious with some mustard or ketchup.
Ingredients- However much meat you want for your meatballs, a roll of bread, 2 eggs, an onion, ~a tablespoon of flower, and if you want, ketchup which I add to add a little zing to the meatballs as they cook.

If the bread is old you're going to want to soak it in water for a while.
Fry the onions in a pan with a bit of vegetable oil until they are soft. Take them off and let them cool a bit. Now, put your meat in a large mixing bowl, crack in two eggs, put in your flower, your onions, and the roll of bread (If soaked in water, squeeze out the excess) and REALLY mash it all up either by hand or with a masher, you want it to be a paste. Then, take handfulls of the paste and form little balls and fry in a pan on medium heat until brown on the outside, making sure to flip a couple times. Once your frikadellen are brown on the outside take them off and serve with some delicious potato salad or some coleslaw! Enjoy!

Fergus fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fergus posted:

Pound your pork chops out flat, then soak them in the egg. Once it is covered in the egg, coat it in the flour and bread crumbs mixture

What the hell? You're suppose to coat it with flour first, and then egg, and then the breadcrumbs, and you're definitely not suppose to mix the flour and breadcrumbs together.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the hell? You're suppose to coat it with flour first, and then egg, and then the breadcrumbs, and you're definitely not suppose to mix the flour and breadcrumbs together.

*Shrug* I'll change it, didn't realize. Just what I've learned, it's worked for me.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Definitely wanna see this thread fleshed out with more recipes and pictures!!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I am German. The favorite thing that my new in-laws adore is Spaetzle.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk

Mix it all up, maybe using extra milk or even another egg to get the right consistency. We use a http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3128-S...+spaetzle+maker to make ours over salted boiling water. Scoop out the cooked floating spaetzle and pile it on the rest with butter until you're ready to use it.

My in-laws now insist on spaetzle with holiday dinner e.g. Thanksgiving? Spaetzle and gravy. Christmas? Spaetzle and ham!

This thread needs more Sauerbraten.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

d3rt posted:

I am German. The favorite thing that my new in-laws adore is Spaetzle.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk

Mix it all up, maybe using extra milk or even another egg to get the right consistency. We use a http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3128-S...+spaetzle+maker to make ours over salted boiling water. Scoop out the cooked floating spaetzle and pile it on the rest with butter until you're ready to use it.

My in-laws now insist on spaetzle with holiday dinner e.g. Thanksgiving? Spaetzle and gravy. Christmas? Spaetzle and ham!

This thread needs more Sauerbraten.

Do you think Spaetzle made with a potato ricer, like the adjustable OXO one, would turn out as well? I know my grandmother used to make Spaetzle by hand using a cutting board and butter knife, and that seems really laborious. The technique she used was to scrape strips of dough off of the board into the pot, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y

I'm hoping for an easier way without having to buy specialized equipment, if possible.

Does anyone have a particularly good recipe for currywurst? It's one of my favorite snacks, especially served with thick-cut fries or spaetzle.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That grandma is nuts, btw. I watched that video and was like, "Oh, that looks fairly straightforward."

No. She probably has a half century of practice doing that. It is really hard.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anybody have a good Knoedel recipe? Mine never come out being the wonderful, wobbly, pseudo-potato they are supposed to be.

Also, anyone have a good recipe for doener?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I'm hoping to get a good recipe from my mother for her geschnetzeltes, I personally haven't had it in years but I grew up on the stuff and it is quite simply amazing. Will update.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Shbobdb posted:

Also, anyone have a good recipe for doener?
Call me a purist but that sounds like a Turkish dish. :)

Here's my go-to recipe that I use whenever I'm drunk and the craving for a nice döner hits me:

- Go outside
- Pick up a small stone. You want something with a good heft that isn't too likely to break any windows
- Close your eyes, spin around three times
- Throw the stone
- Walk into whatever döner joint you hit. If you somehow hit more than one repeat steps 1-4
- Remember you're a vegetarian, go home and whip up a batch of falafel

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Illinois Smith posted:

Call me a purist but that sounds like a Turkish dish. :)

Nah man, the modern Doener comes from Berlin. Now, I won't disagree with you if you call Berlin the second largest Turkish city, but I will call you a racist.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I thought you meant a recipe for the actual meat. I admittedly dont know poo poo about this topic but isn't the "modern" döner just the traditional stuff with a bunch of veggies and sauces thrown at it?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Does anybody have a good Knoedel recipe? Mine never come out being the wonderful, wobbly, pseudo-potato they are supposed to be.

Semmelknoedel are totally easy.

Ingredients:

baguette (or similar buns)
milk
egg
fresh parsley
salt
pepper

for ~6 knoedel:
1. If you buy the baguette fresh, let it rest on the counter 1 day so it dries up a bit, then cut it into fine strips/small cubes
2. Put about 250 g in a bowl
3. cut the fresh parsley finely
3. Heat up ~250 ml milk, pour into the bowl and cover with a kitchen cloth, let rest for 10 minutes
4. add 1 large whole egg, the fresh parsley, salt and pepper
5. knead with your hands until it is a sticky dough
6. form ~6 round dumplings and set aside on a plate
7. heat a large pot with water lightly salt it if you want
8. SLOWLY let the dumplings glide into the water (put them on a spoon, don't dump them in, they must have room to float)
9. reduce the heat and let them simmer in the water for 5-8 minutes they will pop to the surface when almost ready
10. take one out cut it open an check if it is warm and still slightly firm in the center, you don't want them all soggy from the water

Enjoy

Funnily enough, ask 10 people and you will get about 12 recipes, milk:bread can vary from 1:1 to 2:1, and eggs can be 1-3 for 250g of bread, you have to find out what you like best, more eggs make the dumplings more sticky

edit: Also, I never heard of anyone (except a friend who runs a doener place) make doener themselves, it's a to go food you pick up.

Making Spätzle from a board is INSANELY difficult. There are a ton of other methods out there (spaetzle sieves etc.) that will involve a bit more cleaning of appliances but produce better results.
The scraping technique is very very hard to master.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 9, 2013

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hopper posted:

edit: Also, I never heard of anyone (except a friend who runs a doener place) make doener themselves, it's a to go food you pick up.
A Turkish guy at my old job used to bring in one of these about once a month and make lunch for everyone.

His wife made the meat herself, it was nice but honestly not that much better than what you get at a good take-out. There are lots of recipes on Youtube.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Oh my god this thread is so awesome. German is by far my favorite type of food.

Echoing the desire for a good sourbraten writeup.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
What a coincidence! Just yesterday I baked up one of my favorite whole-grain breads, Vollkornbrot.

It's dense, moist and loaded with rye, flaxseeds and sunflower seeds. Unlike light, fluffy artisan breads, this one is unapologetically dense. The flavor is really extraordianry and it matches extremely well with smoked salmon, strong cheese and aged meats.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

My last Vonnegut reread was Deadeye Dick, here's what the protagonist has to say on the subject of Sauerbraten:

quote:

Sauerbraten a la Rudolph Waltz, R.Ph.: Mix in a saucepan a cup of wine vinegar, half a cup of white
wine, half a cup of cider vinegar, two sliced onions, two sliced carrots, a rib of celery, chopped, two bay
leaves, six whole allspice, crushed, two cloves, two tablespoons of crushed peppercorns, and a tablespoon
of salt. Bring just to the boil.
Pour it hot over a four-pound rump roast, rolled and tied, in a deep bowl. Turn the meat around and
around in the mixture. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for three days. Turn the meat in the mixture several times a day.
Take the meat out of the marinade and dry it. Sear it on all sides in eight tablespoons of beef drippings in
a braising pan. When it is nicely browned, take it out of the pan and pour out the drippings. Put the meat
back in the pan, heat up the marinade, and pour it over the meat. Simmer for about three hours. Pour off
the liquid, strain, and remove the excess fat. Keep the heat in the braising pan.
Melt three tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, and blend in three tablespoons of flour and a tablespoon of
sugar. Gradually pour in the marinade, and stir until you have a uniform sauce. Add one cup of crushed
ginger-snaps, and simmer the sauce for about six minutes.
That's it!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

It's Glühwein time! Normally people would just go to their local Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) and get a few mugs with their friends (like above), or if they're serving it at home then they'd just go to their local supermarket and buy a pre-made bottle/box of it and heat it up on the stove.

Since I'm in America now I assumed I wouldn't find bottles of it at the nearest Walmart, so I made my own using this recipe for a German ex-pat thing I went to the other day. It seems pretty specific but since I don't know how these spices work I just followed it to the dot.

1 l dry red wine
8 cardamom capsules
10 cloves
10 black peppercorns
4 star anise capsules
1 stick cinnamon
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp anise seeds
1 orange

I don't know anything about wine, so I used a bottle (two, so I scaled everything up by 1.5x) of the cheapest red wine at the supermarket that didn't say "sweet" on the label, which was a cabernet sauvignon. (Side note, in Germany the wine bottles will be labeled dry/extra dry on them and I was totally expecting it to be like this here.) Crush open the cardamom capsules and scrape out the seeds and put everything into a cheesecloth and tie it up. Pour your wine into a pot, add the bag of spices you just made and heat it up until it's warm. Cut up the orange into slices while you're doing this and throw it into the pot too. If you want to make it sweeter just add some sugar.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They make little spice packets for this, just look for 'mulling spices.' Aldi's also sells gluwine, glogg, christmas wine, mulled wine in a bottle, mead, etc etc.

When I think German food, I think Christmas cookies, because that and saurkraut are p much the remnants of German culture my thoroughly Americanized family has left. Pfeffernusse, linzer cookies, I forget the ones with the cream cheese that are cresent-shaped...

Gimme some traditional Christmas cookie recipes!

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I'll ask my mom when I see her, she'll probably start her industrial-size cookie production cycle next week. :)

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
My favorite German recipe is pretty lame: grill up Nürnberger Bratwurst and stick them in a roll. They're these skinny pork sausages spiced with with, I'm told, marjoram. My wife insists on these exact sausages because she grew up in Nürnberg, but they're pretty great and there's a local German sausage maker here in Denver so they're not hard to find.

d3rt posted:

We use a http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3128-S...+spaetzle+maker to make ours over salted boiling water.
I'll have to try that. I've tried improvising a few times by forcing the dough through a pasta strainer and it was a huge pain in the rear end. Love spaetzle.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander
This is a recipe from a book I have called Culinaria Germany

Niederbayerisches Bierfleisch
(Lower Bavarian beef in beer)

1.5 pounds of braising beef
2 tbsp butter
6 oz raw ham cut in strips
2 onions, diced
2 tbsp flour
2 cups of dark beer
salt/pepper
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 bayleaf
2 tbsp chopped parsley
vinegar and sugar to season

Wash the beef, pat it dry, and cut into cubes. Melt the butter in a casserole dish and sear the meat in it. add the ham and the onions and brown briefly. Dust with the flour and fry briefly and then add the beer. season with salt, pepper, and marjoram. Add the bayleaf, cover the meat and allow it to simmer for 45 min until tender. Just before it's done stir in 1 tbsp of parsley and season with vinegar and sugar. Garnish with the rest of the parsley.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What are the proper beers to pair with German food?
(please don't give me a recommendation that's crazy expensive :ohdear:)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

What are the proper beers to pair with German food?
(please don't give me a recommendation that's crazy expensive :ohdear:)

For the most part what beer you drink with your food is largely a factor of where you're eating or where you live. Most people, especially in the north, are gonna drink pilsner. In the south they'll probably drink hefeweizen. In some cities they have their own styles, like Cologne and Kölsch, Dusseldorf and Alt, and so on. Really common and classic brands are Veltins and Bitburger for pils; Franziskaner, Paulaner, Erdinger for hefeweizen; and I guess Becks for lagers.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do you think Spaetzle made with a potato ricer, like the adjustable OXO one, would turn out as well? I know my grandmother used to make Spaetzle by hand using a cutting board and butter knife, and that seems really laborious. The technique she used was to scrape strips of dough off of the board into the pot, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y

I'm hoping for an easier way without having to buy specialized equipment, if possible.

Does anyone have a particularly good recipe for currywurst? It's one of my favorite snacks, especially served with thick-cut fries or spaetzle.

The holes in your ricer would need to be quite large so that gravity lets the mixture drip through into the water. The recipe I posted is nowhere near thick enough to put on a board and cut. It's not a dough, more like a batter. The consistency I end up with allows for the batter to drip through the Norpro holes with the steam helping it.

My Spaetzle ends up somewhere between the bottom and the middle:

It's not long strips of noodle.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My Bavarian friend once cooked a traditional German meal for a group of us. One of the dishes was a large meatball made of some combination of I believe pork and definitely some sort of liver, in a rich brown broth. Any idea what this is called, and possibly a recipe? It was dynamite (at least for those of us who enjoy liver).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Fleischpflanzl? In Australia they're called Rissoles. In the USA I'd call them mini-meatloafs.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

My Bavarian friend once cooked a traditional German meal for a group of us. One of the dishes was a large meatball made of some combination of I believe pork and definitely some sort of liver, in a rich brown broth. Any idea what this is called, and possibly a recipe? It was dynamite (at least for those of us who enjoy liver).

Sound like Leberknödel to me. Brownish/black dumpling swimming in a clear broth?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hopper posted:

Sound like Leberknödel to me. Brownish/black dumpling swimming in a clear broth?

Leberknödel is probably the right answer.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will be making wild boar roast for friends on Friday. Though hampered by a tiny kitchen I will try to take pics and show you what we Germans like do to wild pigs.
Also included will be my abovementioned Semmelknoedel and possibly chestnut puree.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 10, 2013

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT
Back to spaetzle talk. Rather than spending money on a specialized device for cutting spaetzle (Alton Brown would have your head!) I just use a cheese grater. I have one that looks almost exactly like the spaetzle maker linked above except for the raised edges of the holes to grate cheese. Something like this except plastic and a whole lot cheaper. Just pour the batter on the back side and let it drip through. Use a butter knife if you need to cut the dough as it drips.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^ That would totally work, just make the dough slightly thicker and your good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I found my mums recipe for Servietten Knödel. Very similar to Hopper's except you end up with a loaf that you slice instead of small dumplings.

Servietten Knödel

• 10 old bread rolls/loaf of bread (white)
• Salt to taste
• 375ml warm milk
• 75gm butter
• 4 eggs
• Chopped parsley
• 1 tsp grated onion
• 60-100gm flour

1. Cut the bread into very fine slices, add salt and pour the milk over. Let it stand until the milk soaks into the bread

2. Sauté the parsley and onion in the butter

3. Add (to the bread) the butter, sautéed parsley, onion and enough flour to make a soft dough

4. Place the mixture into a cloth (linen) serviette, shape and wrap it up

5. Place the serviette into boiling salted water for approx. 40-60 minutes

When cooked you can slice the knodel with cotton thread rather than a very sharp knife.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hopper posted:

Yep, GIS confirms it. Thanks!

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Hopper posted:

I will be making wild boar roast for friends on Friday. Though hampered by a tiny kitchen I will try to take pics and show you what we Germans like do to wild pigs.
Also included will be my abovementioned Semmelknoedel and possibly chestnut puree.

My mother grew up in a little town about a half hour from Trier. Legend in this town says that long ago, the town had a wall with a large wooden gate. One day they spotted invaders coming, and logically they closed up the gate. However, they had found that there was no lock on the door and frantically ran around to find something to wedge it shut with. One of the men found a carrot and wedged it into the gate frame as well as he could, and surprisingly it had worked. Or so they had thought, until a hungry pig came trouncing over for a couple bites of that carrot. The missing portion of carrot weakened the wedge and the gates flew open with lots of enemies. The townsfolk had won the battle, but they lost a lot of citizens and many houses were burned down. To celebrate the victory the townsfolk would hold a feast of pigs in the city center every August. And it is still like this today, awesome festival!

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009
For spaetzel I like to use a collander with medium sized holes. You might have to adjust the thickness of the batter to get the right size of dumplings.

t4styc4ke
Oct 25, 2012

MonkeyBot posted:

Back to spaetzle talk. Rather than spending money on a specialized device for cutting spaetzle (Alton Brown would have your head!) I just use a cheese grater. I have one that looks almost exactly like the spaetzle maker linked above except for the raised edges of the holes to grate cheese. Something like this except plastic and a whole lot cheaper. Just pour the batter on the back side and let it drip through. Use a butter knife if you need to cut the dough as it drips.

This is an awesome trick!

I have used the presse, but I much prefer the model. I think the model is best for Bavarian-style spaetzle.

Grandma represent! Louise's recipe:

4 cups flour
6 eggs
1 1/2 water [depending on consistency]
1/4 tsp salt

...we eat it mit kase, usually Jarlsberg.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I know Oma doesn't make Spätzle from dried noodles, but is that a reasonable substitute? Do they even sell them at the store this way? I've never looked.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I make my spätzle using a squeeze bottle. it's really the easiest way. getting the consistency just right so they aren't watery doughturds, but aren't tough doughshits is the hardpart though. also I firmly believe spätzle should be ~2-3in long noodley things, not round little doughdrops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

LaserWash posted:

I know Oma doesn't make Spätzle from dried noodles, but is that a reasonable substitute? Do they even sell them at the store this way? I've never looked.

You can usually buy them in supermarkets in Germany. However they are not dried like noodles but as regridgerated fresh product. Usually near the fresh tortellini, pizza dough wtc. Maybe you can also find there.

• Locked thread