Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butterflygds
Mar 14, 2011
My boyfriend's German mom taught him to make this bacon/cabbage/potato dish that is easy and awesome:

4-5 strips bacon
5 medium sized potatoes cut in 1 in cubes
1/2 head of cabbage (or the whole thing if small) chopped

Do this in the biggest frying pan with a lid you own (I use a 14 in cast iron). Fry the bacon and remove from the pan (chop it up when cool enough to handle), leave the bacon fat. Add the cut potatoes and top potatoes with the chopped up cabbage, salt and pepper to taste, put the lid on. Let the cabbage steam as the potatoes get brown on the bottom (usually around 20-30 minutes). When the potatoes are nicely browned, flip everything over and cook a little more. When ready to serve, add the cooked bacon back and stir everything together. Put in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Just came back from Germany, Mosel area. Apart from all the wine, I loved the Flammkuchen!
I'd love to make them myself, but am unsure of the correct recipe.
most recipes on the internet seem to use an average pizza crust with the correct toppings, but I need that perfect Flammkuchen bottom...any help would be appreciated.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Woodfired oven, I'm afraid. That, or pizza steel/stone.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
And there's no leavening in the crust. Flour, oil, salt and water.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Molly Bloom posted:

And there's no leavening in the crust. Flour, oil, salt and water.

AHA...that makes sense! Thanks

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

d3rt posted:

4 months til I eat all the German things.

Where are you heading for in Germany?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Berlin (south east Mitte) and Munich (city center right near the station).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Anything you know you want to try? I might know a place in Munich worth going to for it.

Also, I made a bavarian pork roast last week:

If anyone is interested I'll share the recipe, even though I usually don't share it with my RL friends because it is my "signature dish".

Hopper fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Everything except I don't do offal usually. I'm hitting up a joint in Wedding Berlin that has horse, and of course I'm going to have Doner for lunch somewhere. Down south I'll be sure to try schweinshaxen, and weisswurst with mustard and pretzel for breakfast. I'm open to suggestions for must-have Bavarian cuisine in Munich. Am also heading to Salzburg during the day.

Also, I want your (roasted)meat and (dumpling)balls in my mouth.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

You know, weisswurst I can take or leave. Its vaguely sweet flavour and kinda mushy texture just leaves me with a bit of a "meh" feeling.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Hopper posted:

Anything you know you want to try? I might know a place in Munich worth going to for it.

Also, I made a bavarian pork roast last week:

If anyone is interested I'll share the recipe, even though I usually don't share it with my RL friends because it is my "signature dish".

That looks amazing, and if you are feeling generous enough I would love to have the recipe.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm especially interested to know your crackling technique, because it looks different in the second photo after the roast is already cooked in the first. I end up cutting mine off and finishing in the microwave but it's not very good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The trick about bavarian pork roast is it looks madly difficult but is piss easy to make:

Bavarian Pork Roast

For 6 people:

2 kg of pork with skin on it (I usually go for pork shoulder, they also sell belly for roast but that's too fatty)
3-4 organic onions
~3 carrots
1 leek
1/2 a celery root
1 bottle of dark beer (0.5 l, König Ludwig dunkel works best, I also successfully used Franziskaner "dunkles Weißbier" in England, Leffe bruin works too)
water
salt and pepper

Cut the pork skin with a sharp knife, but don't cut into the meat, just carve a chessboard pattern in the skin. This prevents the skin from shrinking and warping your meat.
:chef: PRO TIP: Use a carpet knife or ask the butcher to do it, it can be a pain in the rear end.

Rub the pork meat in a mix of salt and pepper (~3:1) on all sides, skin included, and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 200 °C.

Peel and cut the carrots into discs, the leek into rings and the celery root into cubes (~1 cm diameter). Evenly distribute the veggies in a roasting tin.
Place the meat on top, skin side up.

Cut onions in quarters and place around the meat.
:chef: PRO TIP: Leave the skin on the onions, it helps colour the sauce (unless non-organic, then take it off).

Mix the beer 1:1 with water (otherwise the sauce is too strong) and carefully pour some over the meat.
:chef: PRO TIP: pour on a spoon you hold over the meat to avoid washing off all the spices.

Pour the rest into the roasting tin until the veggies are covered. (The meat should sit on top of the veggies and be only slightly in the sauce.)

Put in the oven for 60 minutes and pour some of the liquid from the tin over the skin every 10-15 minutes.
Reduce heat to 180 and roast for about 60 more minutes (Use a meat thermometer, it is done when the core reaches 85 °C).

Remove from oven. Set meat aside on a plate.
Pour the veggie liquid mix through a sieve into a saucepan. Set aside the veggies and cover, they will be served as a warm side dish (also remove onion peel now).

On medium heat, bring the filtered sauce to a boil and thicken with some starch or flour (remember to mix starch/flower with some water in a glass before your pour it into the sauce to prevent lumps).

Take the sauce of the heat and serve everything while hot. A traditional additional side dish is bread dumplings.

d3rt posted:

I'm especially interested to know your crackling technique, because it looks different in the second photo after the roast is already cooked in the first. I end up cutting mine off and finishing in the microwave but it's not very good.

Mi...mi..microwave? Never tell any Bavarian your pork roast so much as saw a microwave, if you want to life to see another day ;-)

:chef: MEGA CRUST PRO TIP:
If your crust is lackluster, while preparing the sauce, put only the meat back in the oven skin side up, set to 250 °C or activate grill function. Roast for 2-5 minutes with oven door slightly open so steam can escape. But be careful, your meat can go dry easily and the crust can burn.

(Sorry for the badly lit pic)

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 13, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Love it.

I meant I only put the crackling/skin in the microwave, not the roast meat.

Can you now please share your dumpling recipe?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will do asap no PC this weekend so I'd rather wait till monday instead of using my phone

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Bavarian Bread Dumplings

for 10-12 dumplings (side dish for 4-6 people):

500g Knödelbrot (alternatively buy a baguette, cut 500 gs it into find slices of ~1-2 mm, then rip these in half and let rest in an open bowl overnight)
250 ml whole milk
6 eggs
1 bunch of parsley
salt and pepper

Place bread in a bowl, heat the milk in the microwave until hot and pour over the bread, cover the bowl and let rest for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop parsley finely.

Afterwards uncover bowl, add eggs, parsley (to taste, the dumplings should be "sprinkled" in green later), liberally apply salt and pepper.
Knead it with your hands into an evenly distributed, firm and sticky mixture.

Take some dough in your hand and roll into a ball slightly larger than a ping-pong ball. Set aside on a plate. Do so for the entire dough.
Bring water to boil in a large pot. (Enough to cover all dumplings) When ti boils, add all dumplings and reduce the heat. They should simmer but not be in a full boil.
Leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes, depending on number of dumplings.

First the dumplings will sink. Then they will start to float. After about 15 minutes take one out put i ton a plate and split it. It should not be too soggy outside but also not dry in the middle.
(This is actually the hardest part to get right, you will have to try, to this day I still have to cut one open and check every time.)

Enjoy.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

d3rt posted:

Love it.

I meant I only put the crackling/skin in the microwave, not the roast meat.

Can you now please share your dumpling recipe?

We've always used a heat gun to crisp the skin. Clean and controllable, but quite efficient at getting the skin nice and crisp. Admittedly, I've only tried it on Norwegian-style Christmas ribs, but this seems to be very close. The only downside is having to find a conveniently located socket that will handle a 2000W load - not too bad here in 230V land, but I imagine it's harder in the US.

(Protip: Heat guns are also fantastic at getting charcoal ready to cook on really fast. Huge amounts of pre-heated air works wonders.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 17, 2014

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The main thing is the moisture from the skin must be able to escape. Hence why the microwave does not work. You could probably use one of those hand blowtorches used to caramelize creme brulee. They operate with lighter fuel gas afaik. But really open oven door at 250 degrees is probably the least hassle...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I have an Iwatani torch, I'll try that next time.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Crosspostin' myself from the camera/table thread because...erm...Berlin (I think that's in Germanland?), sorry for lowering the tone from nicely crackled Bavarian food ;)

franco posted:

I was pining for Berlin, possibly my favourite visited city on the planet, so decided to have a go at the street-food monster that is Currywurst:

poo poo, forgot the sprinkles - better:

Apologies that I didn't have any paper trays/plates for the true experience (an oval dish will have to do) - but at least I mustered a teeny plastic fork from the back of a drawer and a paper napkin! I won't insult the natives and say that it was identical, but it was drat close :)

Would I be extradited if I served that on a street corner?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Woah, looks good. Bonus points if the sauce is not just ordinary ketchup.
I may be bavarian, but my entire family is from northrine westphalia i.e. the land of "currywurst und pommes schranke" (fries with ketchup and mayonnaise). I sure appreciate a good currywurst.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What type of sausages and how did you make the sauce?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://www.amazon.com/Hela-Curry-Gewurz-Hot-Ketchup/dp/B000NY4SA6/ref=pd_sim_gro_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0X45ZXCYZS36H3571WK1

Other options abound, but my buddy who loves currywurst uses that one.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

butterflygds posted:

My boyfriend's German mom taught him to make this bacon/cabbage/potato dish that is easy and awesome:

4-5 strips bacon
5 medium sized potatoes cut in 1 in cubes
1/2 head of cabbage (or the whole thing if small) chopped
Just wanted +1 that this recipe's great, I've already made it three times as a side dish. I personally like to add half an onion and three cloves of diced garlic, extra cabbage, and caraway seeds or a spoonful of good mustard.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Hopper posted:

Woah, looks good. Bonus points if the sauce is not just ordinary ketchup.
I may be bavarian, but my entire family is from northrine westphalia i.e. the land of "currywurst und pommes schranke" (fries with ketchup and mayonnaise). I sure appreciate a good currywurst.

Cheers! :) No bonus points for me as the sauce does have ordinary in it, although I did buy a good quality ketchup specially for it.

d3rt posted:

What type of sausages and how did you make the sauce?

Sausages are slightly spiced pork bratwurst (grilled and sliced) and the sauce is dead simple: sauté a little finely minced onion in some neutral oil until softened. Add 1:4 paprika and curry powder for a minute or so then add 2:1 ketchup/water. Simmer the whole lot until thickened. It'd be really hard to gently caress it up, honestly.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Bonus points awarded :chef:, I ment "if the sauce does not consist of ordinary ketchup only".
You clearly made your own sauce, using ketchup as a base is fine, but some places just give you sausage + ketchup + curry powder :effort:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I was thinking of hitting up the currywurst museum, near checkpoint charlie, just for sampling their 3 kinds of currywurst. Is this a bad idea?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not a bad idea, however, if you end up in Berlin Kreuzberg, look for Curry 36 (Address: Mehringdamm 36, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d779563-Reviews-Curry_36-Berlin.html). They have the best Currywurst in town.

Next to it, n front of Mehringdamm 32 is also the (world) famous Mustafas Gemüsekebap (veggie/normal kebap stand, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187323-d1341041-r137175043-Mustafas_Gemuse_Kebab-Berlin.html), however, whenever you go there, there is a queue of about 20 people waiting for their Kebap. He puts roasted veggies in and it is supposed to be excellent. We did not queue up for it though, the wait was too long.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
Hopper, your Bavarian Pork Roast is the poo poo. Made it the other day and I loved it. Thanks!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am glad you like it :-) Would you agree that once you prepared it, it becomes obvious that it is a lot less work than you would expect from such a dish, which makes it ideal for beginners as a meal to prepare for visitors?

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
i would absolutely agree with that.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Some photos from my trip to Berlin and Munich.

Rinderrouladen with boiled potato and red cabbage

Sauerbraten with potato dumplings and red cabbage

roast pork neck with potato dumplings and red cabbage (notice a pattern yet?)

Kloster Andech's Shweinshaxe. Excellent beer too.

Kloster Andech special apple/wheat beer on the left, Spezial Hell on the right

Currywurst. There was some kind of thin batter around the sausage

Some bratwurst on sauerkraut with boiled potatos

Cheese Spaetzle

Goulash with potato dumplings and red cabbage

Cabbage roll stuffed with beef and a big hunk of speck

German Fanta - it's lighter in color and made with real orange juice. Doesn't taste like Aussie/American Fanta.

Some very decent beer

Some really loving strong beer

Apple and Pear schnapps, from the Kloster Andechs monastery

Not German but rather Austrian: Mozartkugel (this one is Fürst, the original recipe)

A big thank you to Hopper for showing us around Munich town center.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 26, 2014

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004
Does anyone have a recipe for Brotchen? I feel like one has been posted in similar threads in the past.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

d3rt posted:

Some photos from my trip to Berlin and Munich.

Currywurst. There was some kind of thin batter around the sausage

Awesome photo's, I'll definitely be having some red cabbage this week!
Also, I loved all the salads they serve in Germany, bet you had your share of those as well.

The currywurst looks like a classic Dutch dish, btw... "patat met frikandel" :-D
https://www.google.nl/search?q=pata...bih=998&dpr=0.9

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I might be mistaken but currywurst comes with or without casing, and in the variation without I don't think any batter is commonly used, it's just the outer layer that crisps up. And yeah, frikandel is basically the same thing as far as I gather.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Enjoying the currywurst chat. This recipe fairly closely matches the (very good) currywurst I had in Warnemünde a few weeks back.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Currywurst-Sauce

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

d3rt posted:

A big thank you to Hopper for showing us around Munich town center.

No thank you for buying me dinner, I enjoyed meeting you and being able to show you a little of my town. A+ would meet again ;-)

How did you like Andechs? I see you stocked up on schnaps there.

Edit: I am not sure about batter around the currywurst, that would be highly unusual. I would also assume it was a skinless one. The outside becomes slightly puffy then so maybe that's what that was.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
God that all looks awesome. I really need to try cooking some German food.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Hopper posted:

However, as a true Bavarian and lover of our food I have to say this: SOFT PREZEL? Really? :colbert:

(I know you Americans like those, but for a Bavarian any variety of Brezn that is sweet or soft is an abomination unto the eyes of god!)

I know it's a bit late, but anyway: As another native Bavarian, I have to disagree. In some parts of Bavaria (mostly west of Munich) there is the tradition of baking soft, sweet yeast dough pretzels on All Souls' Day, the so-called Seelerbrezn ("soul pretzels"). Historically they weren't eaten but to be laid on the grave of deceased relatives, today they are also perfect to be combined with chocolate milk. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You just said it yourself, it was a once a year thing as gift to the gods... eating it is thus a sin unto the eyes of god....

But seriously I wasn't aware that's a thing and I haven't met anyone who would enjoy sweet Brezn. A proper Brezn is salty, resch (crispy) and bathed in Lauge (a basic liquid).

• Locked thread