Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

You got the call this morning. Or the text, rather. Company-issued phone gave a short buzz and the light of the screen lit up the room like a firework. The message was brief:

"9:30. BE IN CONFERENCE ROOM D. BRIEFING."

It may not seem like much, but considering you haven't been called in for a briefing in two years, you can't help but be excited. Ever since the incredible clusterfuck that was Kyrggistan you've been sitting behind a desk 8:30 to 5:00 every day. Agents have been dropping like flies for months now, and still you've been typing at a keyboard day in and day out for Paygrade 3C.

At this point, even if you're being called in to get fired, at least its something different.

Colonel Blancs is the last to arrive, the cheap plywood door rattling in its frame as he slams it. He tosses down a thick sheaf of papers which immediately collapse along the length of the table.

He rubs at his bloodshot, weary-looking eyes, sighing for what seems like several seconds.

"Alright, uh... alright, let's get down to brass tacks. I think you all know why you're here. Agents are being targeted. And they're being targeted out in the open." He begins slowly picking up the loose bits of paper and re-stacking them. "You're here because I'm out of other options. And I do mean that literally. Every other agent is on assignment, hidden in a safehouse... or dead. Mostly dead, believe me, otherwise I wouldn't be having you in here. Alright, everyone take a handout, it's homework time."

He tosses a stapled packet to each of you. Inside are all the details of the assignment, but the only real new information seems to be that the name of the mission is "Operation Iron Bardick". Every other sheet seems to just be a list of dead agents.

"You start today, no ifs, ands, buts, moans, or groans. From now on you will eat, sleep, and breathe this mission. Free time is now a forgotten memory for you. You're the only tools I have left and so help me I'm working you until either the problem gets fixed or you break in half. I'll tell you now: there will be long periods of radio silence on our end and on yours."

He sits back down heavily in his chair.

"We've exhausted every legal option we have in this matter and have come up with bupkis at every turn. So we're going off grid. Iron Bardick is a Black op. You get caught, you get dead. We're not here to bail your asses out when you gently caress up. You won't have access to agency resources, though to be honest at this point we don't have much left. All resources will be procured on site, with your own funds. As to where you get those funds we are firmly don't-ask-don't-tell on the matter."

Blancs rubs at his eyes and sighs again. "In case you couldn't tell I'm not exactly in a chatty mood this morning, so I guess this is the point where we raise our hands if we have any questions."

Normal posting format, normal text for in-character, italics for out.

If you guys could also post your finished character sheet in your first post, that'd be super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Lancehead

Carver has dozens of questions, chief among them "what the hell kind of self-respecting op calls itself Bardick". Opening the file, Lancehead immediately sees the list of dead agents, and his questions drop in number as he reads further and grasps the gravity of the situation. Finally he clears his throat. "Just one. Anyone mind if I smoke?"

Without waiting for an answer, he shakes out a single Lucky Strike, moves away from the rest of the squad, and lights up. He opens the file again and skims through the important bits. The details can wait until everyone's had a moment to digest.

David "Lancehead" Carver

High Concept: Covert Ops Veteran
Carver's file puts War and Peace to shame. It's almost as thick and much more difficult to follow. In his twenty years in the US armed forces and intelligence services, Carver has changed branches seven times: Army rifleman, Delta Force, Navy SEAL...basically everything after that is classified, save for his code name (the origin of which is also classified). One thing becomes clear, though: while he's no slouch in a firefight, his true skill set lies in finding ways to breach enemy defenses and infiltrate secure facilities undetected, whether to assassinate, extract, or just retrieve intel. In a world where too many spies sit behind a desk, Carver is the rare man who gets things done with his own two hands.

Trouble: Too Old for This poo poo
Carver's preference for covert operations is not entirely by choice. Approaching the wrong side of 45, he no longer has the stamina or mental fortitude to regularly handle the protracted firefights common in a war zone. There is also the small matter of his right eye; the cornea was burnt off by the muzzle flare of a would-be executioner in his last mission with the US, and while specialized cybernetics can replicate their function, the Pentagon did not want to pay for the surgery.

Phase One: In Search of the Truth
Sometimes, you can't shake the nagging feeling that all those loose ends that haven't tied themselves up themselves across your career are somehow connected. Intel that doesn't match the situation on the ground; targets that don't seem to know anything about what you're killing them for, that sort of thing. So it was with Carver, and when he was asked by an old CO, James Ronald, to come out of retirement--unofficially--and investigate a mysterious island facility in the Caribbean, he agreed, hoping to wrap things up. Bypassing security and reaching the compound's core, Carver discovered a bare room containing only a desk, with a computer monitor and Carver's file on it. The screen read:

The wise men have held council. Their judgement has been passed.
The truth remains lost to the snake in the grass. Pursue further, and death awaits.
This is your only warning.

Far from its intended effect, Carver's resolved was strengthened. After making his escape, he examined his career and discovered a pattern: a number of his missions in Central and South America had the signs of outside manipulation around them. It wasn't much, but it was a start. Colonel Ronald had gone into hiding, so Carver's next move is to find some way to get back in the game, without getting back on the grid.

Phase Two: It's Just a Machine
The existence of Twobit, and his status as an active agent, are incontrovertible proof that refute the real-world existence of not only Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, but possibly a kind and loving God. Twobit was partnered with Carver for a mission during the war that required merely that the cyborg act as a diversion while Carver infiltrated a compound populated by civilian guards. Unfortunately Twobit's completely unassuming nature meant he underplayed the assigned diversion, and Carver had to choose between the data or civilian casualties. The mission came first, and Carver blames the unfeeling robot. He doesn't hate Twobit, any more than you hate a gun that jams at a critical moment, but it's clear the thing can't be trusted with Carver's typical op.

Phase Three: I Must Help Peacock Hide His Plumage
There's an indescribable camaraderie that forms between soldiers in a unit during hard times. Since Carver's mission with Peacock, he's noticed that the junior agent seems to have taken to heart their mistake of spending that energy on places other than the battlefield. It's not the younger man's sexuality, or even his arrogant flamboyance, that Carver worries about. The old soldier is simply concerned that Peacock feels he is invincible, and will continue to believe it right up until a beautiful man or woman drives an ice pick into his heart. Or elsewhere.

Skills
Great +4: Stealth
Good +3: Burglary, Shoot
Fair +2: Fight, Rapport, Investigate
Average +1: Contacts, Notice, Physique, Will

Stunts (Refresh 3)
CQC: You can use Stealth to make physical attacks against enemies that are unaware of your presence.
Focused Aim: During a Shoot attack, spend a fate point and declare a specific condition you want to inflict on a target, like Shot in the Hand. If you succeed, you place that as a situation aspect on them in addition to hitting them for stress.
Magic Box Trick: Once per scene, you can vanish while in plain sight by spending a fate point to hide in a nearby box, barrel, locker, or other human-sized container. This places the Just a Box boost on you. While you’re just a box, no one can attack or create an advantage on you until after they've succeeded at an overcome roll with Notice to suss out where you went (basically meaning they have to give up an exchange to try). This aspect goes away as soon as you invoke it, or someone makes that overcome roll.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 26, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Peacock

Peacock saunters happily into the meeting room, manic grin plastered on his face. Sure, he'd been as annoyed at the desk job typing stuff as much as anybody, but he had enough of a nightlife to compensate. And this time, he thinks as he looks over the briefing files, THIS time, it's back to the field, baby!

"Ooo-hoo-hoo," he giggles, steepling his hands and holding them in front of his face. "So we finally get to go out and shoot someone, then? Or would you prefer we massage them for information?"

Davin Valkri posted:

Name, First "TAC" Last: Leslie "Peacock" Dorien, 3/3

Summary Description (High Concept): A Model Marksman
Sample Invoke: Sweep targets with a rifle, sweep lovers off their feet (women AND men)
Sample Compel: Be a vainglorious bast--HEY!

Incidents We Should Know About (Trouble): Boulevard of Burnt-out Bastards
Sample Invoke: Know how organized crime and similar groups work
Sample Compel: Agencies have long memories...

Pre Agency Employment (Phase One): Yes, This is a Gun in my Pants
Sample Invoke: Clearing multiple targets, grace under pressure
Sample Compel: Get distracted by hot *censored*

Phase Two: Hurt Me More...
Sample Invoke: Resist questioning by being a weirdo
Sample Compel: Make a bad assumption during the initial chatting approach

Phase Three: Kind Word + Gun > Gun
Sample Invoke: "You'll let me carry my gun through, just this once, please~?"
Sample Compel: "What the hell were you thinking?! Start shooting time was ten minutes ago!"

Describe your abilities (Skill Pyramid)
Great: Shoot
Good: Empathy, Rapport
Fair: Notice, Contacts, Athletics
Average: Physique, Will, Resources, Deceive

Describe your peculiar talents (Stunts):
Do I Make You Nervous? -- Because Peacock is just that flaming, he can use Rapport in place of Provoke as a social attack.
Exotic Dodging -- Because Peacock is very...flexible, he gains +2 to Athletics to defend while underdressed.
Chain Shot or Are You All Here for Me? -- Because Peacock is actually really good with firearms, he can choose to engage all targets in a zone with the same Shoot roll at a -1 penalty.

Describe your abilities (Skill Pyramid)
+3: Flashy
+2: Quick, Clever
+1: Forceful, Stealthy
+0: Careful

Describe your peculiar talents (Stunts):
Do I Make You Nervous? -- Because Peacock is just that flaming, whenever he Flashily Creates an Advantage on a living enemy, said enemy cannot directly attack Peacock while the aspect is in effect.
Exotic Dodging -- Because Peacock is very...flexible, he gains +2 to Quick Defends while underdressed.
Chain Shot or Are You All Here for Me? -- Because Peacock is actually really good with firearms, Clever Attacks can engage all targets in a zone at a -1 penalty.

Current Agent Status (Stress and Consequences)
Phys: OOO
Ment: OOO

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 8, 2014

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jo "Boo" Nin

"I think we know why I am here," Boo putting her feet up on the table. "I'm too ninja for any of those assassins to gently caress with!" It was either that or she'd been stuck on desk duty for the past month since her last assignment went south. God, it's not her fault. If the diplomat wanted to get out of the favelas in one piece, he probably shouldn't have been so fat in the first place. He was like, three tons, and he wasn't willing to let her cut something off, so what was she to do? Then he went and pissed off Joao with all that bullshit...Well, she's been keeping the office secure. And no one would dare sneak up on her, of course. Like they even knew she was there; Auntie Kim taught all the kids of the Crescent Clan how to type right. Ninjas do it silently, can have someone sneak up on you because you're pounding away like an ape.

Jo rifles through the packet. "Iron...Bardick..." She sounds it out. "I'm with Grandpa on this one. The gently caress's a Bardick?"

Mr. Fowl posted:

Name: Jo “Boo” Nin (Born Junko Ninomiya)
MOS: Being a Goddamn Ninja
Description: A young woman of indeterminate ethnic background; short, athletic, and surprisingly cheerful given the profession she was born into.
FP: 3/3

High Concept: Last Hope of the Great Southern Crescent Clan
Trouble: Hot poo poo
Phase One: I've Got Friends in Low Places
Phase Two: Plan B for Bomb

Approaches:
  • +3 Stealthy
  • +2 Forceful, Flashy
  • +1 Clever, Quick
  • +0 Careful

Stunts
  • Bullshit no Justsu - Because Jo is the inheritor of centuries of Ninja myth and bullshittery, she can use Bullshit no Jutsu to gain +2 to Flashily Defend against ranged attacks.
  • Always Prepared - Because a ninja is Always Prepared, Jo has all kinds of gadgets on her person--and once person session can produce something essential/important.
  • Batmanning It - When Batmanning It--derived from a Japanese saying roughly translating to "The Wicked Are A Cowardly and Superstitious Lot"--Jo uses Stealth tactics to shock and intimidate her victims. (+2 to stealthy actions to intimidate)

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2014

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Twobit

He attempts to frown.

"Do we have any intel on the possible assassins? Backers? Motives? Resources?" he asks.

He tries to think of anything that might have been on the news recently that might have resulted in a political shakeup. There are certainly people who want them dead, he knows, but who would be powerful enough to take them out?

Lore +1 on any possibly relevant recent news. How are we rolling, by the way?

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

DOSSIER: Greg "TWOBIT" Mercer

High Concept: DIY Cyborg on a Budget

Gregory Adam Mercer (DOB XX/XX/2003), hereafter known by the codename TWOBIT --

TWOBIT is a significant asset in forensic investigations and tactical operations which do not require subtlety. The agent is augmented by a flexible loadout of cybernetic components, mostly of his own design, allowing for literally superhuman feats of speed, strength and perception.

However, high maintenance requirements, obviously identifiable inhuman traits and mediocre personal skills make him a poor choice for most long-term assignments.

Phase One: Early Adopter of Literally Everything

TWOBIT was born with amelia of both legs, and has been using prostheses since the age of 5, and was homeschooled for most of his early life. He has a GED, but no other formal training. However, the agent has shown and proved great competence with electronic and biotechnological engineering, and competent programming skills.

The agent first came to our attention in late 2028, during the Rare Earth Crisis, as an apparent consultant for -------------------------, a small Chinese microprocessor firm. He was briefly considered as a possible target in PROJECT REI, before it's abrupt termination, but was not found to be a threat to industrial interests.

Further investigation found TWOBIT to be a pioneer in the then relatively new field of neurointerfaces. Substantial regulatory barriers had limited the proliferation of his much more inexpensive hardware designs. The agent was recruited with hopes that Sigma Protocol could benefit from low-cost cybernetic systems.

The program was initially a moderate success, but its popularity with other agents was limited, due to lack of tolerance to implanted systems, and high self-maintenance requirements.

Trouble: Requires Implanted Mood Homeostasis Device to Function

As a result of constant switching of neurointerfaced components, TWOBIT necessarily needs a brain-implanted recalibration device to use his prostheses without a significant training period. The neurotransmitter imbalance that this generates requires, in turn, an additional brain implant to regulate emotion and mood. (Long-term exposure to this state has not been studied on the agent himself, but in animal tests has consistently resulted in ultra-elevated stress, followed by catatonia.

Due to the current limits of neurochemistry, fine-tuned emotional control in response to external stimuli remains out of reach with currently existing technology. TWOBIT has thus configured his mood to default to the perceived optimum for service: constant moderate happiness.

The effects of this on unit cohesion have been noted in multiple reports. The most common complaints are a perceived lack of empathy or gravitas. The agent is self-aware enough not to deliberately appear callous, but such behavior is imperfect.

Phase Two: Paranoid Around Sharp Objects, Especially when Wielded by Ninjas

PERSONAL LOG

So, there's a bit of funny story with the UAE war. If you are authorized to read this, somehow, you probably already know that the Saudi takeover wasn't the initial plan (balance of power, etc.) The old plan involved installing a neo-neo-Ba'athist regime, and a few of us in Protocol were involved in training the 'rebels'. It was dumped when the war drew out too long, and we had to play cleanup.

Due to a clerical error (thanks Bob), I wasn't informed of this until after they had dispatched Boo to take out the squad I was "assisting". I ended up being dragged into base while unconscious with two severed limbs (including the remaining meat-bits of my left arm) and a slightly-displaced spinal cord that cost a metric poo poo-ton to fix. It was horrendously painful.

I still cringe around knifes. I like to think that I'm better with them now, but whenever I have to actually cut things, I take my time doing so.

Phase Three: (intentionally left blank until further developments)

Refresh: 2

Skills:
  • Crafts +4
  • Athletics +3, Physique +3
  • Investigate +2, Notice +2, Shoot +2
  • Fight +1, Lore +1, Provoke +1, Will +1

Stunts:
  • Grafting Experience - +2 to Crafts when creating an advantage for yourself via cybernetic augmentation.
  • DIY Principle - You may use Crafts instead of Resources when attempting to acquire high-tech gadgets.
  • Wa-wa-wa-wa-wanh-wanh - +2 to Athletics when overcoming an obstacle which would require superhuman strength or agility.
  • Replacement Parts - You may spend a Fate Point after a physical recovery action to recover from a mild consequence instantly, a moderate consequence after a scene, or a severe consequence after a session.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Wesson

For his part, Wesson's just scratching out some notes while he has the chance. He could use some more ceramic plates, if they're going to be under the radar as much as possible. More matte paint too, for that matter. And he could do wonders if he had a nice crate of flechettes... Then again, he hasn't exactly been swimming in parts these past few months. Better to just ask.

"If I may? How much material support can we expect for this operation?"

quote:

Name: Dean "Wesson" Pynchon
High Concept: Affable Weapons Designer
Trouble: Money Matters
Phase One: Form Follows Function Follows Firepower
Phase Two: Watsonian Intellect
Phase Three: To Be Determined

Skills
Craft: ++++
Lore: +++
Rapport: +++
Athletics: ++
Investigate: ++
Deceive: ++
Empathy: +
Resources: +
Will: +
Physique: +

Stunts
Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention: When you make an ramshackle gun out of whatever's handy, you may use Craft in place of Shoot to fire it.
Invention Is The Root Of Genius: When you create an advantage with Craft by tinkering with a gun's capabilities, gain an additional free invoke of the created aspect.
Genius Conquers All: When you succeed with style on a Lore check, gain a boost due to your inflated ego.
3 Refresh

Stress
Physical: [][][]
Mental: [][][]

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

As I'm sure most of you are aware, it's finals season for me and several other players, so posting is going to be slow, please bear with me :ohdear:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Resources?" Blancs looks over his shoulder and coughs. "At this point, if you managed to knock a free candy bar out of the vending machine, I'd turn a blind eye. That's about it."

Has everyone posted? I want to use these first few posts as a headcount to see who's still with us, so if you're still here and haven't posted yet. You should, uh, do so.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Xiaolong

Xiaolong leans back in his seat, absorbing the (rather inferior, in his mind) briefing intently. He wonders, for a moment, what on earth "Free Time" is. It's never really been a thing he's had or cared about. After work was time for training and studying. Before work was time for workouts and occasionally, calling his mother.

Hmm. A friend could come in handy. "How much are we permitted to reveal to... others who may have useful information?"

K Prime posted:

Han "Xiaolong" Feizi

High Concept: Like A Chinese Gymnast, Except With Guns

Trouble: Wet Behind the Ears

Adventure: A Bloody Graduation

Phase 3: Unknown Unknowns

Skills

+4 Shoot
+3 Fight, Investigate
+2 Athletics, Stealth, Notice
+1 Will, Empathy, Rapport, Provoke

Stunts (All custom)
Drilled Memory: China's intelligence dossiers are extensive, and as much of them as possible has been fed into Feizi's mind as can be reasonably managed. Once per scene he can spend a Fate Point to immediately reveal an aspect about a location, agent, or operation that China could conceivably have a dossier on.
Secret Asian Man: Technically, "Han Feizi" ceased to exist years ago. The benefit to creating a spy from childhood is that you can remove all trace of him oh so easily from your records and anyone else's. Combined with his blandly handsome features and he's a ghost. Feizi gets +2 on Stealth when using it to conceal his identity, whether in person or from record searches.
Ten Courts of Training Hell: While he lacks real world experience, never let it be said that his training was easy. Every manner of stressor was used against him, from sleep deprivation to outright torture, in order to prepare him for the real deal. Feizi gets +2 on Will when using it to resist any sort of mental fatigue, assault, or pain.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 3/Refresh 3
Physical [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Major (6):

Lancehead finishes reading the paper-thin packet for the third time. It doesn't directly say what the mission is, nor does it explain the stringent security measures, but between the dead agents, an up front admission of zero support, a crew hand picked from Sigma's poo poo list, and the most intentionally asinine codename in the world, there are only a few possibilities.

"You're asking us to track down the person or organization targeting Sigma Protocol, but you want us to do this with no support from Sigma Protocol. Do you suspect that the attackers have some means of monitoring agents using Sigma assets?" He stops short of flat out asking "is there a mole". It's not a subtle question, and any person with the perception of a doorknob will get his meaning.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 13, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 3

"So everything we don't have now would be...procure on site, then?" Leslie's voice is breathy with anticipation. Part of it is he's always like that, part of it is he's excited to FINALLY get off his shapely rear and do what he was hired to do! Not that he didn't enjoy macking on the office workers, but a man's got principles. "Sounds like your kind of fun, Davy~!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin FP 3

"Now that's the spirit!" Boo punches Peacock in the shoulder. "You get it; this ain't about having fifty bajillion deskmonkeys back home tracking your every move, holding your hand, sending little care packages from mom. It's about whispers and shadow and showing that fucker you're better by slitting his dumb throat before he knows you're even there1." She slips a kunai out of her Ninja Utility Belt (never leave home without yours) and wags it at Blancs. "You don't go into the field without your wits, so why would you go out their without everything on you that you'd need to accomplish the mission? Anything less and you'd end up dead. If you're not prepared to go out there without support, you shouldn't be out there."

1Ninja Way #7

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 3/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3
Mild (2): Moderate (4): Major (6):

REDACTED

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 13, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Blancs doesn't even glance at the note as Lancehead gets up to leave.

"Carver, sit the gently caress back down, this briefing isn't over yet."

You guys are going to have an actual mission, I just wanted to give everyone a chance to chime in and didn't want to start until finals are over :v:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Penny Spencer

"Hmm... no support, no communication, extremely probable chance of death with operatives' actions disavowed. The stakes have been set for Sigma Protocol's newly activated agents, untested and about to enter their first real black operation. Yet morale remains high and the crew looks eager to prove themselves worthy to succeed where their predecessors have failed. After all, chief amongst those present in the room is none other than London's Darling Detective, Penelope Spencer, whose radiant presence and sterling record in the Met sets a standard to all who- wait, does that sound too much? Or maybe not enough..."

At the back of the room, one can hear the furious sound of a pencil eraser rubbing a few lines from a notepad. This used to be easier when she had an editor to point this out. Another sacrifice to link up this dreary-looking gaggle across the room. She's still not sure if it's been worth it. But her eyes sweep across the dank conference room with the rickety plywood, and she can at least agree this all looks very authentic.

"I suppose given all things, there's no better measure to prove one's worth as spy than by her resourcefulness." Sticking the No. 2 pencil behind her ear, Penny closes up her notebook and pretends she's been listening all along. "Though quite frankly, I was hoping for at least a gadget or two. Maybe one of those high-tech tasers you keep lugging around, Colonel?"

TurninTrix posted:

Penelope "Sterling" Spencer

High Concept: Penny Spencer, (Former) Teen Super Sleuth!
    Invokes: plan carefully, operate like a classy detective, pull strings using past fame
    Compels: stop and look for clues that probably aren't there, get spotted in a crowd when she needs to be clandestine, deal with past villains
Trouble: Still After the Glory Days
    Invokes: plan carefully... THEN jump into action!
    Compels: take a shot at something to reenact the old days, even though she's not really as spry as before...
Adventure: Well-Traveled With Trouble
    Invokes: declare that she's been here before and find the best place to hide out, pull up knowledge of current events
    Compels: stir the hornet's nest, gain a new enemy from every place she visits...
Skills

+4 Investigate
+3 Notice, Lore
+2 Athletics, Fight, Rapport
+1 Will, Empathy, Shoot, Resources

Stunts
Indomitable: If you give her a goal, Penny will walk to the ends of the earth to get to it, a hundred mooks, a pit of sharks and a death ray be damned. She can spend a Fate Point to temporarily ignore the negative effects of all her consequences (free invokes and compels) for the remainder of that scene and just keep barreling on. After that scene ends, she must take a compel from one of her consequences, but she won't get a Fate Point for accepting the compel.
Today Is A Good Day To Die: Penny hasn't actually practiced karate in years, but she has seen enough late night marathons of old shows to know exotic martial arts such Klingon moQbara' and the Hokuto Shinken. She gets a bonus +2 to Fight to Create Advantages while emulating fictional martial arts and explaining exactly how this move is supposed to stymie them.
A Penny for Your Thoughts?: Years of interviewing people for clues or stories gives Penny a knack for reading peoples' thought patterns and emotions immediately, if not always understanding the motivations behind them. She can use Investigate in place of Empathy to create advantages with careful questioning and observation.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 14, 2013

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Wesson

"Oh. Of course. Naturally." Dean doesn't let himself get too down over the lack of support, though. Really, why would he let that get to him? It's not like his job requires large amounts of material goods to make anything that lasts more than a week. After all, if Doctor Austerlitz can work under these conditions every day, he can work something out.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I hate to keep using this excuse but finals have proven to be an absolute nightmare this semester. One paper that I thought was 10-15 pages is actually 25-30. At the rate I'm going, I will pretty much not be sleeping until Wednesday night. I swear to god updates are coming, please just bear with me :(

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Okay, I'm in the home stretch! One more paper to write tomorrow, due at noon, and then

:siren:WE WILL BE BACK. READY YOUR BODIES.:siren:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Blancs shakes his head, as if he had zoned out a bit there. "Sorry, what? Look, no we don't have any resources for you. Whatever you've kept stashed in your drawers or acquired for-" He glances over at Doc. "uh, 'other activities' and kept in your van or whatever is what you've got. All I've got for you now is a lead and a radio."

He tosses out several small wireless headsets already tuned to SIGMA's broadwave.

"Now, ordinarily I wouldn't think I'd have to bring this up, but considering some of our present company," He stares meaningfully at Lancehead. "I feel like I should reiterate this: these radios are still radios. They are not surgically implanted throat mics or magical ear bone implants or what-the-gently caress-ever. You still need to speak into them to be heard, and the enemy can still hear you talking. Okay? Is that clear? Good."

He finally reaches the bottom of his stack of papers.

"Anyway, like I said, we're not sending you in completely blind, we do have a tip." He clicks a button on a remote and the projector behind him flickers to life, displaying a still image of a face:

"Some of you might recognize-" He catches himself, then sighs. "I mean, this man is Moses Knopf. He's a Vice President for VeraCorp, specifically a VP of marketing. VeraCorp, for those unaware, is a megacorporation located out of Shanghai. Ostensibly they develop circuit boards or filaments or something or other for mobile phones, but we've known for a while that mostly they traffic arms all around the globe. We've tried to take them down on several occasions, but they're good at covering their rear end and I'm sure the fleet of lawyers helps. Anyway, long story short: Knopf claims he was approached by a strange man who claimed to be able to sell him a list of all the real names, aliases, and assignments of Sigma operatives. Whether this list is real or not, I don't have a drat clue, but Knopf got spooked enough that he came to us.

He claims to want asylum from... well, honestly I don't know. He just said he wanted asylum. If he's telling the truth and can lead us to someone selling secrets then I'll give him a goddamn pony if he wants it. He wants to be met by Sigma agents in a public place where there's unlikely to be trouble. One of the VeraCorp buildings is throwing a holiday party for friends, family and shareholders, that kind of thing. You need to get in, locate Knopf, extract him, and find out what he knows. Problem is the guy's so drat spooked we haven't been able to contact him for days, and we don't know what to expect when you get to that party. Hell, I'm not even sure you're on the guest list."

Blancs places his hands flat on the table, nervousness and worry clear in his eyes. "Here's your mission: we'll get you out to China, but getting in and finding Knopf? That's your problem. All of our safehouses in the area have been compromised, so extraction and setting up a secure spot is your next objective. Most importantly you need to find out what Knopf knows. Figure out who contacted him, and why.

It's a thin lead, I know, but at this point, it's all we have to work with."

Sorry for the kind of rushed post, I want to get something out but have to run to a meeting before I get set to grade for roughly the rest of eternity.

...poo poo, is Radioactive Bears still playing? His van was, like, a good 20% of the overarching narrative.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Penny Spencer - FP: 3 -> 2

"Shanghai." Penny circles that word from the briefing she just transcribed. "I got a friend there, he operates a warehouse by the docks. Used to bunk there during when the bombings happened last 2030. I could persuade him to let us come in and set up shop, keep things quiet."

Invoking Well-Travelled With Trouble to declare a safehouse!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

"Is that all? So we find the VP of Bad Ideas, shake him down, and follow whatever falls out along the way to whoever is knocking off agents. Then we deal with it, Kyoto Style." Jo makes a cutting gesture with her kunai, obscure perhaps to all but another ninja. "And assuming Girl Genius here has that safehouse locked down, this is gonna be easy."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 2/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

Seeing a plan take shape is always heartening. "I might have an in through the party. Figure a couple of us take the covert approach, while Peacock and a partner saunter right through the front door." Getting in touch with the Drebins, specifically, in a town where a corporation controls the black market, will be tough, but the payoff in walking into an arms dealer with an APC belonging to the most wanted war profiteers in the world. Valuable merchandise, regardless of what side of the law you're on.

He stands. "I should point out, however, that on paper, this is a rogue op, and so we technically no longer work for you, Colonel. And I'm sure you'll appreciate knowing as little as possible about how we go about doing what we do. Unless you've more sage wisdom or crucial intel to impart, this is where we part ways and take a slow plane to China."

I should probably spend a fate point to declare the existence of these convenient arms brokers huh

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Both invokes work for me! I'm just now wrapping up grading, but obviously posts will be relatively thin through Christmas, as I assume it would be from you guys too.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Twobit - FP 2 > 1 (story detail)

"Wait a sec, Knopf's working for VeraCorp now? And a VP?"

He flickers his face slightly, doing a quick Google to confirm.

"How'd he get there? I knew that DIÀNMÙ POLYSYSTEMS CORPORATION went under, but everyone knew that a AR social networking startup in China wasn't going to be sustainable with the authorities. Except Knopf I guess. Didn't think he was competent enough to get back on his feet."

---

From last time:

Lore +1 to check the news: 4dF+1 0

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 3-1

"Ooh, parties!" Peacock claps his hands together. "Always fun! I should go as a...wait, it's not that sort of party, is it. Hmm...VeraCorp...VeraCorp...I think I know some people there! Yeah, one very nice young woman I stayed with during an...'operation' for one of those triad thingies. I think she was a receptionist or something. Anyhoo, I can talk to her, say I'm coming over for a party, maybe bring a friend...?" His eyes dance between Jo and Penny.

"...maybe a male friend would be better," he thinks aloud, glancing at Xiaolong.

Well, since everybody else is doing it, I'm declaring a detail too! Peacock knows someone low-level at VeraCorp, someone who can cover for him if anybody asks why he's there.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

CURRENT INTEL GATHERED - OPERATION: HARD DYING
Shanghai, China

• Penny has procured a safe house for your operations in Shanghai. It's not much but it's quiet and away from prying eyes.
  • Lancehead has hired the services of an APC for pickup after contact has been made.
  • Twobit has learned that Knopf has some dirty secrets that may be useful for leverage.
  • Peacock has contacted Inga Wodja, a friend that can walk appropriately-dressed agents right into the party.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

Jo snorts at Leslie's comment. "What, I'm not party material?" She strikes a pose that just shouts La Dee Da. "Whatever, I'll be on the stealth team. Covert is my middle name, after all; Junko "Covert" Ninomiya. Enough killing time, I've got assassins to counter-assassinate."

Boo adds NOTHING to Intel and Resources.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Wesson
3 FP

"We're dealing with VeraCorp? That's just great. For a moment there I thought we'd be working with one of those respectable arms dealers." Dean was going to just lean back in his chair and leave it at that, but you know what? VeraCorp does not deserve his tact.

"You want to know why VeraCorp hasn't gotten caught yet? Because they're selling trash, not guns. Oh sure, they'll help you and a thousand of your closest friends put lead in people you don't like, but good luck actually hitting them. You can drive a truck through the bullet spread, the sights are misaligned, and the metal's so soft you can't even do anything useful with the parts. Don't ask me how they keep getting sales, because it's a god drat mystery to me."

Creating an Advantage with Lore by talking about how lovely their guns are. Lore: 4dF+3 0 For an actual aspect, I was aiming for something like Quantity Over Quality, but if you got a better idea go ahead.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

Twobit - 1 FP

His left arm makes a beeping noise.

"Ninomiya, is that 'Covert' with a 'C' or is it spelled weirdly?"

Cardinal Ximenez fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 24, 2013

Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.
Doc

Doc Austerlitz startled awake in his chair. He'd been up late working on one of his many 'hobbies' and the small lab he'd hidden in the men's bathroom had to be sealed and extinguished as a result. Hell, Doc didn't even know what his job at Sigma actually was. So far he'd been coasting at his desk job through sheer luck, and spending all his time working on more important things, like the various secret experiments he'd spent ages hiding around the sigma building.

“Wait, what? We're going to China? I'll need airfare for a van.” Doc said, not even questioning whether such a thing would be possible. He pulled a set of keys, and clicked a button the ring. A very loud horn from the outside parking lot played a few notes of something familiar...

Radioactive Bears posted:

Bob “Doc” Austerlitz

High Concept: Not a Medical Doctor

Doc Austerlitz is something of an idiot savant. Despite his frequent prison stays, he's invented a number of devices he hoped to aid in escape at one time or another, often out of simple materials. His ingenuity is something to be admired. The only problem is that he often overstretches his talents, leading his inventions to cause himself and others personal injury, or frequently combustion. This is probably due to the fact...

Trouble: Not Even the Other Kind... Technically

… that Doc Austerlitz is not so much a doctor but a con-man. It doesn't appear he even finished schooling. His understanding of science is spotty at best, and prone to frequent misunderstandings about simple concepts. Luckily, his complete disregard for how things actually works does not hinder his ability to invent cutting edge tech, despite the obvious danger his inventions pose.

Phase One: Rolling Probable Cause

(Doc Austerlitz has a sweet, albeit totally illegal Van)

Austerlitz escaped prison and immediately stole his van back from a local impound lot. Knowing the police had a roadblock in place to prevent his escape, Austerlitz modified the van in ways that sane men would dread. Literally hitting the road-block with his van, Austerlitz barreled through and managed to lead the police on a long chase before his van flipped and exploded into a shower of shrapnel and broken dreams. Luckily for Doc, his modified van exploded in such away that he crawled away with only moderate injuries, and a semi-intact blueprint for similar vehicular modifications.

Phase Two: Malpractice Suits Packing Heat

Doc has a lot of people out for blood because of his background in less-than-legal weapons development. Yeah, that may lead to some pretty hairy situations if someone's trying to kill him, but 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' is a well-worn saying for a reason.

Phase Three: For the Love of God, Seal the Exits!

You don't cause as many lab accidents as Austerlitz does without getting a good handle on the basics of causing panic. That's a pretty good thing if you need to cause a distraction, or get an area cleared out fast. It's a much less good thing if you're trying to keep a low profile, or are in an already tense situation.

Skills

+4: Craft
+3: Deceive, Shoot
+2: Drive, Will, Lore
+1: Burglary, Notice, Provoke, Physique

Stunts

Presto as Always Making Useful Things
Signals as Lies Upon Lies
Hold Your Fire as Called Shots
Caress of Steel as Ramming Speed

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 23, 2013

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Listen agents, I don't normally do this, and I know you have a mission to get to, but... dammit we have traditions to keep! We can't let ourselves be beaten down! We must sally forth! So, with that in mind..."

Blancs leads you to the cafeteria where an impressive array of roast meats, nuts, sauces, breads, cakes and a host of other treats have been laid out. Candles give the room a homey glow, white cloths invite you to get warm and comfortable. Everything smells a bit wonderfully of spruce.

"Merry Christmas agents."

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 24, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 2/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

There's all sorts of reasons why a sudden feast, under the circumstances, is suspicious. One question trumps all the others and comes, almost automatically, to Lancehead's lips. The words are out before anyone can stop him: "But how does it taste?"

You wanted this, you motherfucker. Merry Christmas

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Like the holiday spirit."

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

Twobit - 1 FP

He pulls out a packet of nutrient paste from his arm, and bites down.

"I don't know how you are going to manage all that without a glycemic optimizer."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 2

"Oooh, free dinner!" Peacock isn't exactly shy about hiding his cheerfulness now. "So, who want to break a wishbone with me?" He says this with the biggest poo poo-eating grin imaginable.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Xiaolong

"What is this nonsense?" asks Han. "Aren't we in danger? I propose we simply get on with things. Food can be obtained anywhere, after all."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

Boo sighs. It's just not the same. The little ninja reminisces about Christmases past, as it was not so long ago that she enjoyed Christmas in the town of Cherry Blossom, Louisiana. Wistfully, she recalls the tree, kunai hung with care, a shiny shuriken at its peak. The whole trailer smelled of pine and oil as they would gather around, eating Mom's special red bean buns--one of which was always poisoned, as is tradition. Then they would open presents, sorting out the real gifts from the booby-trapped boxes filled with bombs, bear traps, and deadly blow darts with a hair trigger. Her little cousins would probably be getting tucked in right about now, dreaming of all the wonderful weapons they would receive tomorrow.

Junko stealthily wipes a tear from her eye. Ninjas don't cry. At least not in plain sight. "What are all you jerks standing around for? If the agency is footing the bill, then let's dig in already!" She slaps Xiaolong on the back. "You are like a snowball dropped into the pants of this party, Bondo. Loosen up."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 2

Peacock just laughs as Xiaoling as he sits down.

"You see, it's just that kind of attitude that made you miss that arms dealer way back when, remember?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Wesson
FP: 3

"Tis the season, I suppose." Dean begins picking at the food. As it turns out, the holiday spirit? Not that tasty.

I hope this means this game is going to be the Die Hard of spy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I didn't think I was being subtle between the mission being a Christmas party in a high rise plus the name of the operation :v:

• Locked thread