Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought the puffy vagina thing was like super obvious but I guess not everyone has ridden that particular roller coaster so there ya go.

RE Lincoln: I, too, wonder why the giant, skinny as a rail awkward looking man in all black clothes with a stovepipe hat and neckbeard is the eternal target of endless ire, but maybe it has something to do with him being possibly the most recognizable US president in history and also totally loving goofy looking.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just looked up the animated Doc & Mharti shorts and they are terrible. It's super obvious that Roiland cannot write and that Ridley & Harmon just keep justin on the rails, so to speak.

I'm so glad about this, because this show is unreal

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did you watch them? I mean I could come up with a nice way of saying his writing is sophomoric and his humor is scatalogical and therefore not nearly as funny, but it's just garbage.

Except when he has Racist Pedophile Garfield show up. That was awesome.

It's worth mentioning that they are from around '06 or so so he's hopefully better now and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a lot of creative input on this show but he just did not leave a good impression on me as a solo act.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 28, 2014

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can we talk about Morty's growth at the end of S2/E2? That was a pretty big step for Morty. I feel like it wouldn't have been a big deal for Morty to just ask Rick to kill him, but it looked to me like Morty felt like he had to take responsibility for his decision and its consequences.

I wonder if it's stuff like this that lead to the evil Morty from last season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Secret Endings for Roy:
Congratulations, You are now Rhonda

Hi Roy! I'm Morty! Wanna come over and hang out with me and my Grandpa?

If you make it through Roy with every know STI, you log out with all of those diseases!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Now that you mention it, I think Morty's most common phrase in the show is literally "Uh, I dunno, Rick."

He really doesn't think about it. Anyone who stops and thinks about it is a danger to Rick in any number of ways. Morty has pluck and maybe a touch of luck, and never stops to question what is happening unless they face imminent doom, and even then all he does is just explain to Rick what they have done so far throughout the episode, but he doesn't really challenge Rick at all to make things right.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like how we've got a ton of people weighing in on Mr. PB, but no one has discussed how the primary mechanic of the episode, namely flashbacks, aren't a real loving thing.

No one flashbacks in real life, and certainly group flashbacks, like the elevator or the Nazi, aren't real at all. I could certainly see everyone's eyes glazing over and staring off into space while a telepathic wave bombs the room, but flashbacks being a phenomenon, so much so that Rick directly addresses them, not being discussed after pages and pages blows me away.

Hamurai was the funniest one, but Sleepy Gary and Jerry's vacation bummed me out really hard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

Have you never seen a TV show before? A flashback represents a character telling the other about something but showing what they're talking about is more visually interesting than just showing them saying it.

Yea, but has anyone ever referred to it as a flashback? It's called "remembering" but Rick directly calls it a flashback.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I want to highlight Beth's drunk fumbling of Wife/Life Coach into Wife Coach because it just highlights how every scene in this episode was on point and really drives home how Beth is clearly a Sanchez.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm sorry to extend the Dan Harmon derail, but can someone expand on "paintball"? Like is it just an episode where the characters all play paintball and their interpersonal relationships play out on the battlefield? That sounds like it could be good, but maybe only because I have very fond memories of the paintball episode of Salute Your Shorts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I WANT it to be exactly where we time skip and we get 23 yr old super science cyborg Morty sieving the galactic federal prison, but what we're actually going to get us regular Morty and Evil Morty meeting up to break Rick out, but then we'll discover something about Rick (maybe even the precipitating catalyst for evil Morty) and our Morty will be wonder if it was all really worth it.

I also expect Jerry to relentless excel in new earth and become kind of a bad guy for S3. Also we're definitely meeting Beth's mom next year.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Favorite Ep:
Gotta be Rick Potion #9. That closing sequence left a real impression with me that only Rick's failed suicide came the closest too, but it stands above because Morty is just a boy.

Favorite Side Character:
Unity gave me a look into what loving Rick is like; all consuming and toxic. She'd be the main villain of any other show she was in but she's scared of Rick.

Best Gag:
This is a 3-way split between "X gone give it to ya!", the Marmaduke Guy's speech, and "Snuffles is my slave name! You can call me... Snowball because my fur is pretty and white."

These 3 all struck deep chords with me and appeal to my greater sense of humor.

Worst Ep:
Whichever one has the dead deer B plot. I cannot remember the rest at all. This is arguably the most grounded, terrestrial B plot, and just not attempting to shoehorn hackneyed sitcom plots into the show should be a goal from here out. If they'd replaced this with anything even slightly weirder (they find a thing Rick made that causes them to really like each other but the rest of their lives fall apart, off the top of my head) and it'd have been fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do you hate him besides being the Millenial Matthew Broderick?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This free, well animated phone game, with great sound and well voiced writing is bad because it's a simpler version of the most popular video game of all time...

JFC some people.

I for one am impressed that Rick Sanchez has already attained "if you see text next to my face you will hear it in my voice" a la' Prof. Farnsworth.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 17, 2016

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
http://imgur.com/a/EKcbi

Somebody 3D printed a plumbus and it's pretty gross to behold, but i also kinda want one for my desk. They also documented pretty much how they did it, it's kinda cool.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was at the festival in Maryland where the giant head in space tights was and she definitely had a bluetooth speaker bumping all the head's soundbites, it was cool.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So Rick & Morty S3 might start airing by the end of May according to "lawyerherald.com" but way more interesting to me in that article was Harmon talking about how excited he was for S3 because they apparently hired a handful of very funny women to gender-balance the writers room.

I for one would adore it if Summer & Beth got a little more fleshed out to mirror/match Jerry's incompetence, and am also curious if they'd ever return to the Gazorpazorp setting with different jokes.

Like, I'm a really progressive guy with a lot of feminist views, but rerouting all traffic through sector 6 because of a spider and "I am here if you need to talk" are two of my biggest laughs from season 1. I believe women are inherently better at making fun of women than men, so I don't really know what to expect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
R&M coming back in DECEMBER.... But we get an extra long season so.... Fuuuuuuuuuuu

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I'm not a crazy fan art guy, but this is fun and certainly good enough to share. I'd honestly be super delighted if we got an "alternate reality drawn in different styles" episode.

DECEMBER.... That squanchin' blows, man

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I could honestly stand for their to be a little more of Steve Smith's cantankerous attitude in Morty. I get that he's supposed to be a basic milquetoast suburban kid, but he can be kind of a blank slate sometimes. The purge Episode and the evil cloud episode have good writing for this kinda thing, but a lot of episodes have him just loudly explain the plot up until the current point and blame Rick.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thread is writhing with the hype of incoming episodes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What about when the giant homeless man explodes in low orbit, literally raining gore from the sky?

Or in the first episode
"They're robots!"
*bleeds out horribly, screaming about his children*
"I mean they're bureaucrats, Morty, I don't respect them!"
*massive yucks*

What I'm saying is Rick and Morty plays hyperviolence for laughs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Baronjutter posted:

I have a friend who loves rick and morty but got mad at me when I showed him Doc And Mharti and he said it "nearly ruined" rick and morty for him. What the gently caress?? How can you be 100% down with all the poo poo in Rick and Morty but some light ball licking is too far. Oddly enough the thing he complained about most was the burping.

Uh, like if you can't understand why depictions of incest and pedophilia would upset someone then maybe you are like a horrible sadbrainz broken person? Even if Doc & Mharti is intentionally tone deaf and not played straight or anything, it's still loving super duper gross and I only finished watching it because I was in a room full of people who wanted to see where it went.

and the burping is still omnipresent in season 1 and toned down for S2

I've come to accept that Justin Roiland by himself is the opposite of entertainment for me and without a guiding light to mold him into something palatable he is the most obnoxious person and focuses on the absolute worst aspects of his range and talents.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 7, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

I don't get Channel 101 at all. Everything they ever did there seems half-assed and off-putting, like they shot the very first things that came to mind and didn't spend any time at all trying to edit their ideas. I feel like at that time, they'd be the kind of artists who'd go "No, you see it's supposed to look like we're lazy and don't give a poo poo about the final product. Art!"

Any exposure to Roiland's human form just builds on the opinion I have that he is a miserable sack of poo poo IRL who is probably chronically frustrated that people don't understand his shrill ironic genius, and its only through very specific venues that he gets anywhere near the recognition that he thinks he deserves. I'm the biggest R&M fan around and I am awaiting S3 with baited breath, but Roiland's acting is little more than a vehicle for what I assume is Dan Harmon's specific brand outlandish-yet-dry humor. I honestly imagine that he must be just like Lemongrab in real life. I don't have anything personal against the dude, and I make my own living as an artist who produces really disturbing or graphic content, so it's not like I don't 'get it' I think i do, honestly, but the thing is when it comes to shock/gruesome/freaky art people, there are two distinct breeds: The kind who think they are subverting the medium and are gonna blow the roof off the art world because they are so loving edgy and the dudes who just quietly hang up paintings of dismembered babies and roses in the gallery and drink at the bar until it's time to grab their check and go home to watch some TV. The latter half are some of my best friends, but i strongly suspect Roiland is closer to the former.

Reminder that the Nintendo Zelda 3DS gag from Season 1 is based a real thing Justin Roiland did, that is the kind of dude he purports to be. I think Rick & morty deserves all the acclaim it's getting because its funny and clearly lovingly crafted by people who want to make this kind of TV, but I could easily see it going way up its own rear end in S3 and beyond.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry to be :thejoke: but what is that guy?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Woody Allen made good movies. Poe was a great writer. John Lennon beat the poo poo out of his wife and son. MLK jr. cheated on his loyal wife constantly. Gandhi made people let him sleep in the same bed as their teenage daughters to prove he was immune to temptation, Michael loving Jackson...

It's almost, ALMOST, as if being a creative person lends itself to having severe emotional or psychological dissonance...

The Marmaduke scene in raising Gazorpazorp couldn't really have made this any clearer...

You can value the work someone has done while also being morally opposed to their personal behaviors. You can't really fully separate the two into a perfect little box, but you aren't a monster or a pervert just because you respect work accomplished by monsters or perverts.

One of the landmark moments in my cartoon watching career is a line from a great old show The Oblongs where the son, Milo is bitching to his dad about having to walk home through the psychiatric hospitals yard. His dad, played by Will Ferrell, responds "Oh son, don't call them crazy. I like to think of them as... Pathologically Inspired." Nothing since then except for the Brad Anderson bit in Rick & Morty has come close to touching me in the same way.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 11, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Don't do this. There's just as many creators who aren't hosed up, and spreading this line of thinking is unhealthy.

It is, to me, a very clear 'Chicken-or-the-Egg' issue. Absolutely, many creative people live normal healthy lives, because they have found an outlet for their creativity in a healthy way. I would argue lots of hosed up people would be less violent and abusive if they had healthy creative outlets.

In general, if you are a creative person, you are trying to make the world more like the place you want to exist in. You are writing what you'd like to read, painting what you'd like to see etc. Some artist do the opposite and highlight what they hate about the world, like Heironymous Bosch or that popart guy who draws people using cell phones as dicks or the shark in a business suit.

As an exercise, care to name any famous artists from the Golden age that weren't a little crazy or hosed up? I'm not tryna goon, genuinely curious if anyone springs to mind. My answer would be someone like maybe Sting or Bob Dylan, long fleshed out careers and no scandals that i'm super aware of, touched a lot of people's lives in a healthy way...

I just think you're being naive or coy if you're unwilling to admit that a lot of talented people are hosed up, because for a lot of us, it's the trauma that affects us that pushes us to create, and it's disingenuous to disregard that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

withak posted:

Hey everyone, what is your favorite scene or line or gag from Rick and Morty?

Snuffles: Where are my testicles, Summer? Where are my testicles? They were removed, where have they gone?
Summer: Oh, wow. That's an intense line of questioning, Snuffles.
Snuffles: Do not call me that! Snuffles was my slave name. You shall now call me Snowball, because my fur is pretty and white.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

moolchaba posted:

That's you, that's how you talk.

This phrase actually broke into my common usage and some people get SUPES bent out of shape about it, it's really funny.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The dead kid clone is also a particularly dark throwaway that just screams "Roiland". Actually that is probably the B-Plot I've enjoyed the most and I hope we get a nice buddy cop episode of Mitty and the ship in space next season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just when I thought all my heartstrings had been plucked... they go and do a thing like Phoenixperson...

Ok so what's the over//under on Jerry getting written off the show for just being a lovely, unfun character vs. occasionally having B-plots? I just think ditching him in order to give more stuff to Beth and Summer is a good call. Between Sleepy Gary and our real Jerry still being at the Day Care center, I don't know what other Jerry stories are worth telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Genuinely excited to unearth the myriad of ways Beth is a terrible mom. We've only ever gotten a little insight into how much she gets from Rick, hopefully we get a better look at their relationship.

Also excited for a season of Morty just telling Rick to shut the gently caress up.

• Locked thread