Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

ultramiraculous posted:

Pretty clearly amoral. He knows what he's doing and doesn't care. I mean he's willfully keeping his grandson out of school when Morty clearly needs to be there. Any "craziness" is just that he's kinda a single-minded sociopath who doesn't really care about what's best for anyone else as long as he gets to achieve whatever his goals are.

I think Rick is thinking on a grand scale as the writers have said before, with the scale and scope of The Doctor- the key difference being that he is selfish, reckless, and has consequence to his actions. He is also drunk for a lot of the things we've seen so while he has shown an interest in Morty and keeping his family alive he shows that his thought process is basically fried and illogical in some points.

Alan Smithee posted:

Any word on ratings? I always assumed that Adult Swim ignored Nielsen ratings in favor of watching the number of funyon and dorito sales

Stephen Colbert?

I too was under the impression that they use family guy to pay the bills and pick shows that will have a cult following and be able to sell merchandise for the rest. If they put up a loving button that said GIVE MONEY TO SUPPORT SHOW then I think I would mindlessly mash it over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Doink9731 posted:

Hi! I'm Mister Meeseeks! Look at me!

The rape scene aside (I'm not sure how I feel about it... the ending batman moment really has made it hard for me to hate it because it did end up showing that Rick really does love Morty even if there are other ways it could have been done) I think that this was one of the best episodes of a fantastic show.

The Meeseeks are a fantastic deconstruction of a classic fantasy/alien servant race that legitimately only exist to be slaves or serve a purpose (reminds me a bit of the Ood) and are a highlight of this show for me.

They just want to die, they hate existing so they serve their purpose so they can die... so brilliant.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

zoux posted:

This show is nihilistic as hell and I love it.

As someone who started watching Doctor Who's Moffet Era because of my girlfriend and found myself starting to hate it because it was "wacky reckless abandon without any consequences" and watched the first new series season and loved it because it showed a man tortured about his choices... this show is perfect.

It is raw, real, and funny. I also really love Jerry because even though he is meant to be an absolute loser I always forget that and think he has way more poo poo given to him than is actually deserved.

To be fair his wife being a teenage mother who became a veterinary surgeon is something really hard to measure up to. Bringing up that she is a horse cardiac surgeon is not something that makes her less impressive...

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

xanthan posted:

Wow. That was certainly an ending.

How is Rick so chill about this?

I'm wondering how many Morty he has watched die but am thinking about it and actually going to go with the idea that he does not let Morty die because Morty is legitimately the one person he cares about even while being a dick.

hcreight posted:

Rick would probably deem that to be pointless busywork when they're already in a perfectly good universe.

"Oh, s-so you trust me now Morty? How f-forgiving of you considering that you've done nothing but judge my other attempts to fix the situation."

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Where was the budget to have a good old Mountain Goats song during the depressing ending?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Hazo posted:

I'm really interested to see what sort of dark secret Rick is hiding, given his obsession with making Morty his "little helper" on all his science adventures. It really seems like there's something more going on than Rick simply wanting to pass the torch and Morty being the person he despises the least.

Rick is Morty would be a little too predictable.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I liked that Cronenberg-Rick and Cronenberg-Morty still referred to themselves a such despite being from a world where being one was normal, and referred to a never-before-seen genetic anomaly as "normal people just walking around."

In that universe Cronenberg directs very simple movies that display the brutal simplicity of humanity.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

Also good points.

I was wondering after that episode though, how closely related do you have to be to be immune? If Rick was immune, then what about Morty's grandmother and paternal grandparents? Cousins? Aunts and Uncles? Somewhere out there in Neo Cronenberg World must be other small tribes like Jerry's who are distantly related to Morty. Maybe eventually they'll find each other, inbreed, and rebuild civilization, just like in the Bible!

I think I would watch that for like 11 minutes a pop. They could even do it board driven...

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Chairman Mao posted:

I know you guys edited it out but I absolutely love the idea that the people making this show live and work in perpetual darkness, their offices lit only by the bleak glow of their wacom tablets.

Whenever I hear about Korean animation studios I think of this before the monster from The Host breaks the place open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Typical posted:

Been waiting almost a year for this,

Thats me, the 3rd Color Key artist

I'm going to keep an eye out for this every episode now- just because I can.

• Locked thread