Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Ariza posted:

:(

edit - Good for Rick & Morty, bad for America. I didn't know anyone actually watched The Cleveland Show.

Pretty much anything from FOX will dominate the top spots as a given. That and Robot Chicken. #27 is actually pretty good for a new original [as] show.

Compare it to the latest season of Venture Brothers, for example, whose highest spot was #34 and tended to stick around the #50-60 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

It was pretty overused in the pilot, but I haven't noticed it since.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Y'know I've been thinking about whether Morty really should end up with Jessica. Specifically when you compare Morty to his dad.

Both Morty and Jerry have been shown to be extremely courageous and competent in an extreme situation, the former getting the attraction of all the ladies as a result, and the latter re-earning the admiration of his wife. And from what we've learned of Jerry and Beth's relationship, she dated a lot of jerks in high school who only wanted her for being pretty and popular, until sensitive Jerry came along and treated her right. And then she got pregnant and they had to get married, effectively meaning Jerry married his dream girl.

Only the relationship doesn't end at marriage, and it clearly has its rough patches, with Beth often wondering if she should leave him and telling him point blank that loving him can be hard work. See, Jerry is still something of a natural loser, unemployed and attempting to embrace his role of man of the house while largely failing at it. In a lot of ways, he's still that kid in high school admiring Beth from afar, afraid to take charge, nervously wondering if she likes him back (consider the simulation when he was unanimously praised for his apple pitch, and yet still doubted himself and went back to tell the exec what a fraud he was.) And that's basically who Morty is, being sort of dimwitted and nervous and all, good in a crisis situation, but sort of a loser in regular life. Makes you wonder what would happen if Jessica actually took a liking to him for being unlike all those jerks, like that jock in the love potion episode.

So, in summation, perhaps Morty should heed Rick's warning to "break the cycle," lest he repeat it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Metropolis posted:

I think the South Park guys admitted that they hadn't even seen Inception before doing the episode, and had just read some dumb guy's review who thought it was over-complicated for the sake of complexity. That makes sense to me as usually South Park is much more accurate and insightful with the things they parody. Even when they're not super amazing they'll make some jokes that give evidence they have a detailed understanding of what they're making jokes about. Like the Game of Thrones episodes had Cartman being a wizard king, something that's not in the books at all, but also had a lot of stuff right like waiting for the books being like a diabetic waiting to get food and GRRM continually putting off giving it to him.

One of them had seen it and the other hadn't, they couldn't get a copy of the movie, so they basically watched the College Humor thing and one told the other that's exactly what the movie was, and the lines got blurred between what was actually in the movie and what was CH parody. And their costumes from the Game of Thrones was a throwback to the Lord of the Rings episode.

But I digress. I liked the episode, it just didn't seem to have that Rick & Morty uniqueness we've become accustomed to. At least not until the very end with the Marmaduke guy and Morty Jr. writing the book. I guess I was expecting a little bit more out of the first Rick & Summer adventure, even one on a woman dominant planet, than pretty typical women jokes. Which aren't even being misogynistic (no more than men being farting barbarians anyway,) as much as they are being typical.

I mean, if it was a planet full of cats, obviously you'd expect the classic cat qualities to be exemplified. A store that only sells yarn, giant dangling mice in the city square, restaurants with nothing but fish (and one of the patrons asking if he can have a cheeseburger instead,) etc. I guess with how Rick & Morty has been so far, you'd expect something a little more atypical. A bunch of cats playing water polo randomly, Morty pointing out how that doesn't make sense, and the cats scolding him for making assumptions. Something like that.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Meh, it's random improv. Some of it's going to be funny, some of it's not going to land, some of it's going to go on a bit too long.

The actual episode it was framed around was done well, typical Rick & Morty banter, with a touching, somewhat unexpected moment at the end. At least it isn't like a lot of other [as] shows, who do the random, seemingly careless humor, and let it seep into the entire plot.

And of course a bit of meta humor with nothing mattering, though in a clever way. Heck, they even foreshadowed it at the very start:

"What?! Why would he choose Veronica?"
"Because he loves her."
"Well if it's any consolation Summer, none of it mattered and the entire show was stupid."

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

VictorGrunn posted:

One thing that has me interested in the characters is how they're bucking expectations to a degree. Jerry and Beth were set up as very obviously being in a screwed up, unhappy marriage, but so far we've had two episodes which showed them being practically made for each other on a cosmic level (Jerry's handling of the Kronenberg-world, the Rixty Minutes ending), and one where Beth helped Jerry out with the Meeseeks.

I mean, I know a lot of shows do the 'Oh they fight but when the chips are down...' bit, but this somehow feels a little different in the intensity of their being shown as initially not getting along, and the intensity of their having a positive turn to their relationship. I also liked how (at least from what I heard at the time) the show was being offered up as 'Oh, we're not taking continuity too seriously', but the one bit of continuity I would have thought they'd never mention again (universe-hopping) quickly became a plot point.

I think that's why the pilot was so weak, it seems to live up to all of our expectations as far as an awkward marriage where the wife is more successful (working at a Vet shaped like a barn,) the daughter obsessed with the bad boy, the really awkward son, etc.

And ever since it's sort of turned those things on their head and the characters feel more like real people than just characters.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Apparently this was the crew gift for season one:

Did you get one Typical?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

"A cocky Morty can lead to some big problems, can be a real bad thing for everybody... I'll explain when you're older."

Did our Rick have some sort of past relationship with evil Morty?

That quote seems to fuel the "Rick is an older Morty" theory. Which has been seemingly discredited with episodes like these, but if they can pull something this crazy off....

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Lincoln in the most popular president in US history? Probably the most well known except for maybe Washington, but he seems to have a lot more character than George based on the stories and the hat and everything.

At least when it comes to South Park and Lincoln telling Kyle that it's the ugly kids who are successful later in life, they were simply going back and forth on who it should be until someone randomly said "What about Abraham Lincoln?" And even though it didn't make any sense they ran with it. Plus he got drive away in a Lincoln.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Yo, some good news I haven't seen posted yet: I got a chance to talk to Dan Harmon after his show in Portland on Saturday, and he mentioned that Adult Swim has doubled the episode order for the next season of Rick and Morty. So, looking forward to 20 episodes RickandMorty.com 100 years Rick and Morty! :)

Considering they're replaying an episode four times on Sundays now, I'd say they know they have a huge hit on their hands and want to ride that wave.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

The problem is, AS actually wanted it too. They saw how season two ended and gave him the greenlight to go heavier. Then they saw Alone and totally backpedaled on it, deciding it was too heavy, and cancelled the show.

I mean, that's the general attitude toward Hollywood these days. You can do something stupid and repetitive and without care and continue, or you can take the risk of actually doing something different and interesting and beloved, and might still get canned because certain people don't get it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Typical posted:

this was a highly sought after piece in the white elephant gift exchange at work. my friend max who does character design on the show drew this.

Jessica #3's heel strategically placed over what I assume is evil Morty's boner. Nicely done.

Dare I ask what other items were included in that exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Not sure if this question is kosher, but have you heard anything about new merchandise being produced? Seems like a bunch appeared out of nowhere, like that Total Rickall game and now that Meeseeks box bundle ThinkGeek has.

Or rather, is there any merchandise that was discussed and then scrapped? Anything you'd personally like to see come to light?

• Locked thread