Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This has probably been pointed out already, but I was just re-watching some R&M and noticed that in the episode where Rick falls in with Unity, they show just a couple frames of the TV show that Unity was making for Rick, and of course its Community

I'm pretty sure this show has references all over the place that I'm missing. I keep catching little things here and there. I think Harmon said that there was some cameo in Blips & Chitz but I couldn't find it.

Also in case it wasn't pointed out earlier, Dan Harmon was on Drunk History talking about cocaine, and that was extremely entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Earth joining the galactic federation. The show already addressed having sci-fi stuff on Earth by having the characters not really question it. But having Earth be "normal", I thought, provided a nice balance to the sci-fi. This show should also avoid becoming Futurama 2.0 and this sort of puts it closer to that.

Thing is the show can always hit the reset button and go to another alternate universe. They've already done that once. Actually I was kinda wondering why Rick doesn't just do that again, Beth and Jerry would probably resist leaving their "home dimension" even more than Morty did, but you'd think they'd still get over it and prefer it to the galactic federation Earth, and you'd think Rick would just tell them to deal with it.

But Rick seems to be pretty depressed at the same time, with bird-person shot and who knows what happened to Squanchy, he may just not give a gently caress anymore. We've seen him be borderline suicidal in the past, (both selfishly and selflessly) so maybe he's just giving up at this point.

I'm hoping/expecting that the first episode of the next season is the family busting Rick out of prison and earning his appreciation in the process, but we'll see.

Also interesting that Rick didn't try to appeal to the council of Ricks since they were created to counter the government, but I guess he figured they wouldn't help him since he's always gone against the council. Or maybe it just felt too hypocritical?

One thing I've been wondering is whether the Rick & Morty we watch are even the same R&M every episode. They could really easily switch to an alternate universe each episode without us really noticing. But there does seem to be a consistent narrative going on and having each episode be different would generally mess that up, although with an infinite universe world not necessarily.

E: I always thought Bird-person was a joke on Birdman, but apparently its a play on Buck Rogers' The Hawk. Which I guess may have been where Birdman was a parody of? Jeeze.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Excelzior posted:

don't you mean CommUnity

:haw:

Oh, also during the council of Ricks episode, one of the portals he opens has a mug with a ? mark on it float through, and apparently during some episode of Gravity Falls they open a portal and the same mug falls through it. Cross-show continuity! (I don't really watch Gravity Falls)

I love the Council of Ricks episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

xanthan posted:

Random thought. The Birdperson and Squancy we know aren't the ones Rick knew. Rick replaced their friend. I mean unless he met them after leaving the Cronenbergverse they aren't the friends he had there, just really similar people. Rick also got depressed because a hive mind he'd never actually met before dumped him while thinking he was someone else.

Then again Ricks replace others with similar substitutes often enough to have Morty coupons so he likely doesn't care.

Yeah Rick is somebody who understands the full meaning of the multiverse unlike pretty much everybody else, a common thread of the show is that he's started to see life from a very weird perspective. After the cronenbergverse when they take over the places of their former selves, it really traumatizes Morty for awhile (and he even talks about it with Summer later, which is a twist on the episodic format into more of a continuous story) but the whole time Rick couldn't care less.

He just casually buries his own corpse, walks inside, grabs a beer that he knows is in the fridge (even though its not his fridge) and sits down on the couch like nothing ever happened.

Although sometimes I worry that Harmon has written himself into a wall with the infinite multiverse thing. If its too easy to just keep hitting that reset button it can create plot holes. Like I said, why didn't Rick just take his family to another alternate universe after the wedding?

Heck, he could even go to another universe where he himself was captured by the police already so that way the police wouldn't be looking for him! :v: The whole thing is insane. The only thing that holds it together is Rick's apathy, which does actually excuse a lot. If he's really suicidal or nihilistic then he may just not care to "fix" things even though he could.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

One nitpick for me, when they're going to all the different planets that are Earth-like but not in the galactic federation, they land on one planet which seems pretty nice... until they realize that EVERYTHING is on the cob. Rick looks at the atomic structure of the planet's atoms and they're even on the cob.

Its a funny throw-away joke, but it doesn't really make sense. How does a planet have its own atomic structure? If they went into an alternate universe, I'd totally buy that an alternate universe had "on-the-cob" atoms, whatever that means. But how do you merge a single planet of cob-atoms into a universe of normal-atoms? The physics just doesn't add up.

And what was even so bad about that planet anyways? Rick sounds really concerned, he's like panicking that they need to leave the cob-world asap. Why? I guess its left as an unknown, or maybe he just realized that cob-atoms would have some negative consequence to their normal atoms or some advanced genius science.

Although for that matter the whole thing with Rick's spaceship's battery violates the rules of thermodynamics. Well, I guess if it was more of a pocket dimension instead of just shrunken down inside the battery then you could get around it? They don't go into much detail about how it works and that's for the best.

Excelzior posted:

rick searched for a universe that was incredibly similar to his own, to the point where everything up to that moment had happened except he found a way to de-cronenberg the world - hence why he knew everything would basically be the same

I mean there's a reason he specifically mentioned he couldn't do this many more times when there is an infinite amount of alternate universes out there

aaaaand we've just given this whole thing more thought than the show creators want us to.

I dunno, the show's definitely meant to make you think. Its not a dumb show. It really messes with your expectations for a light-hearted narrative, it often makes you think its going to zig and then it zags.

Another "inconsistency" is that Evil Rick mentions that he catalogued all the Ricks by how evil they were, but if there's infinite universes then you could never catalog all the infinite Ricks. Between any two given Ricks you'd have infinite other Ricks who were between them in evil-ness.

But earlier in the episode they do mention "of all the Ricks in the finite central curve" which is actually pretty clever, and makes it sound like there's some kind of cardinality of Ricks.

fount of knowledge posted:

"Make them make fun of the blonde. Now make them have sex on the table. Cancel it! Now bring it back! Okay, I'm bored."

Community told in 24 words.

Yeah its perfect. Also nice to see Harmon having a laugh at all the Community drama. (cancel it! now bring it back!)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Imasalmon posted:

Because that planet is one kernel, or just part of a kernel, on a much larger cob that would be eaten by something. The planet itself was corn.

Yeaaaaah I dunno. That's weird. Again if it was another dimension I would totally buy that, but being just one planet in our universe makes it seem pretty weird.

Like I said its a nitpick at best.

Then again there was that fantasy fairyland world with the giants up the beanstalk, although they're really not clear on whether the portals they're taking are taking them to other places in our universe or other universes.

The thing about the wedding is they take a spaceship (both to the wedding and from) so we know its in the same consistent universe.

That brings me to another nitpick.

Does it seem coincidental that the Jerry daycare center is in Rick C-137's dimension? They just fly there with a spaceship. But Rick mentions he's not the rick that had the idea for the daycare. Shouldn't they have to take a portal to get there? :v:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Because A) his portal gun was broken and B) he's grown fond of the family in this multiverse and doesn't want to just leave and let them suffer. Sure they aren't his original family, but he's bonded with this version of his grandchildren and seen just how much this version of his daughter cares about him. They're no longer just interchangeable meatsacks, they've become something real and meaningful to him and he's willing to make his life worse to make their lives better.

In other words: Rick hosed up, he started giving a poo poo and that's why he's in jail now instead of getting drunk and banging alien broads in a parallel universe.

I forgot about the portal gun breaking which is obviously important, yeah. But I'm not saying he'd leave his family behind. I'm saying take the family with him to another universe. I guess if he was in jail but the rest of the family was free in another universe that wouldn't work, but with infinite universes there's gotta be one where Rick gets captured and the family gets killed or something, so you just take their places like Rick & Morty did before.

And yeah, it does seem like him giving a poo poo is the difference. He's clearly sacrificing himself for them. I just figure he'd find a smarter way to fix things, since he's got such godlike power. Which is why I was saying his depression or nihilism is the only plot fix, he just doesn't care to fix things anymore. He's just given up.

I mean even without his portal gun, once upon a time he didn't have one either. He could build another. But he doesn't.

Just Offscreen posted:

No, because he said it was a cross-dimensional asteroid- it probably appears in every reality if you know where to look, which Rick does, because the Rick who made the Jerry day care probably put out an ad. But we don't need this spelled out because it's not important.

Also planet-on-a-cob is a throwaway gag you aren't meant to pick apart the whys. If you really needed a reason for Rick to flee, it's because he knows that if you live on a cob planet long enough YOU start to become on-a-cob.

Person-on-a-cob.

Ah, I forgot/missed the cross-dimensional asteroid line. That makes sense then, yeah. Perfect place for a Jerry daycare. I knew Rick mentioned it was a secret place if you knew where to look, but I missed the "cross-dimensional" line.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I dropped this show for a while because the first episode was kind of unimpressive and too mean-spirited. But it's gotten fantastic afterwards (at episode 4). It has the comedy of Futurama, the willingness of stuff like early Adventure Time to thrown in everything, and still manages to keep it somehow grounded.

I end up liking it way more than I ever did Futurama or Adventure Time both. Futurama was entertaining but wasn't very laugh-out-loud funny very often, while Rick & Morty often has me laughing my rear end off. And Adventure Time was creative but a little too random for me, while Rick and Morty seems really random it manages to maintain an important thread of logic.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I made this post before, but if you want an in-universe explanation just assume that the portal gun utilizes that super rare interdimensional crystal and probably other non-standard parts that he wouldn't be able to just get anywhere. He would probably have to spend several months/years travelling around evading the Federation and probably sneaking into Fed controlled planets/sectors to get these parts. Meanwhile his family would just be living on the tiny planet or else accompanying him into life or death situations. The other alternative is that he turns himself in and the family is back safe on Earth in under a week.

I mean, most of this stuff doesn't matter and is just done for good storytelling, but if you want logical explanations for everything at least make the attempt to think it out yourself.

Um, ouch? Good one? I don't see what's wrong with discussing these things. What else are we going to post?

"good episode"
"yes, that was a good one"

Yeah "it would take a long time and he didn't want to leave his family alone" is a fair answer. But I still think his suicidal state is significant.

Rexides posted:

Also, how could they hear the Screaming Sun if there was this huge swath of vacuum between it and the planet?

Horrible show, would not watch again.

Well something something solar wind causing sound when it his the something something atmosphere...

Seriously though this kind of argument is really loving stupid. It comes up whenever you discuss any sci-fi or fantasy setting, some jerk always has to say "lol how does it work? Its magic duh" answer.

Look, fiction is fiction, and you can make up whatever rules you want. But then you have to be internally consistent. Making poo poo up in a fantasy world is allowed, but if your fantasy world contradicts itself that's just sloppy writing.

The screaming sun thing they don't try to explain, so that's fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I'm liking Interdimensional Cable 2 more and more in retrospect. Even if the skits aren't as good overall as Rixty Minutes, it's ridiculously quotable.

I'm not sure which I like better, How they make Plumbuses or Gazorpazorpfield. (Or ants-in-my-eyes-johnson. So much gold in those episodes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_LJtG2gXSc

I also really love how the show's audio editor doesn't mind leaving in partially off takes, there's several times in the show where you can hear Justin Roiland either start laughing or just kinda ad-lib something, it doesn't always sound professional, but they leave that poo poo in there. I love it.

It happens the most during the original Rixty Minutes with the Two Brothers show. He's clearly ad-libbing the gently caress out of that, and he starts cracking up.

They even lampshade it in the show, they mention "Wow, interdimensional cable sure has a different tone to it, like almost improvisational" :cheeky:

"Now give me my loving enchiladas-<laughs>"

I also love how they touch on already doing the inter-dimensional cable.

"what are you doing?"
"I dunno, I thought we pretty much nailed it the first time"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

The end of the man vs car show too "haha wouldnt, wouldnt the car win every time??"

Yeah exactly. :haw:

And you can really tell during the How they do it: Plumbuses that he's just pulling things out of his rear end too.

Like it starts out really random, but then halfway through he's running out of ideas, "Then a schlami shows up, and he rubs it.... and spits on it...?"

The show has so many hilarious quotes.

"Ham-urai, Ahmish-Cyborg, what is this, 90s Conan?"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I don't need anything, I just like talking and speculating about Rick and Morty. :v:

"Because its bad storytelling" is a bad reason. If Rick simply overlooks something he could have done because it would have been "hacky", that's a plot hole. Its not the end of the universe or anything but Rick and Morty isn't the kind of lazy show that does that, its pretty drat creative. "It would take him a long time to make a new portal gun" is a perfectly fitting answer though.

I'm not asking questions like I'm going to hate the show or lose my mind if there's no answer. I'm asking questions because I have complete faith that there are already answers to all this and more, and I just want to explore that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

The answer really is that it would be a bad story, though. Rick gets the family to another dimension where they aren't hunted and the only thing we'll get out of it is "Hey, this is a weird place!" You don't get a scene of Rick finally coming to terms with himself, that he ruins the lives of people that love him.

I would not want to live in that universe, I'll tell you what.

That's being ridiculously restrictive. You're kinda mixing in an argument of theme while I was arguing plot, while also strawmaning the other possibility. I mean yeah, if they just hit the reset button and then said "that's all folks!" it'd do nothing. But that's not all you can do? You could have it so that the best universe Rick could find could be slightly off in some way, and that way keeps coming back to gently caress with us in the future, or every few episodes or something. Like how Mr.Poopy-Butthole has become a bigger thing. Or you could have it so that Rick just takes everybody to another universe like he did with Rick Potion, and he doesn't care; but unlike Morty who was traumatized but put up with it because he's a kid, you have Beth and Jerry start a fight with Rick or something. Maybe Jerry decides its too much and that creates a rift between him and Beth? I dunno, I'm not a writer, but you're acting like they couldn't do anything with it and they could do infinite things with it.

Again, arguing plot, if the reason is "we couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't be boring so we just had to have Rick do something not very Rick" that's bad writing too. And they're better than that. They can do something that works for the plot and works thematically too. Which is what they are doing, what they always do.

You seem to be completely misunderstanding me. I'm not saying "They should have gone to another universe!" at all. I was simply asking "so why didn't Rick do that?" and I already got some decent answers. Relax dude.

Last Chance posted:

Did you just watch the show for the first time or something?

Almost everything you've brought up ("Rixty Minutes sounds like it's improv when they stumble on their words! that's cool!" "Check out this obscure Community reference where they describe Community exactly and then literally show it on the screen, anyone else notice this?") has been discussed over and over for a while now.

No but its my first time to the thread, Sorry. I don't post in TV/IV very often but I do love me some R&M.

I was having a good conversation with some other goons about it though :v: If nobody had replied I wouldn't have had anything else to say.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 12, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I tend to be pretty verbose and rambly, sorry. I'll try to slim it down in el futuro.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wasn't saying abandon the family though, I was saying abandon the world. Keep the family together, because yeah, that's pretty important now.

Plus things like the Dumb Rick being friends with Jerry means inter-dimensional stuff can still be familial.

What if Beth and Jerry divorce only to marry the Jerry and Beth of another dimension? (Although their divorce seems much less likely after Rixty Minutes, and that ending was really good)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

I can't imagine a world on the central finite curve where Jerry and Beth have a happy marriage.

Right, so I was thinking I'd be funny if they find another world where they get divorced at the same time they're getting divorced, but then you pull a ... what was that one movie? Where each person falls in love with the other version of themselves.

I dunno. Having 2 of the same character wouldn't work for too long, so they'd have to like kill off one couple of Beth & Jerry or something. That could be funny though.

Like they can do the Council of Ricks and that's great, but it'd be weird having too many other Ricks hanging around for too long. Unless it was like Dumb Rick who is significantly unique in character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Well they were able to make the Council of Ricks

The Citadel in particular is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

Although if anything we've seen that Multiple Ricks do not necessarily add up to being more than the sum of their parts, when they were searching for C-137 they all collectively got distracted loving with Jerry.

Pharmaskittle posted:

The federation is an interdimensional organization, as shown in the pilot, right? Why is the idea that hopping to another could help even a thing?

Edit: yeah it could buy some time, but that's just prolonging the inevitable

They've established that as long as Rick is near Morty, the government can't find him. The only reason we were talking about going to other universes would be to find an earth-like replacement, rather than sitting out eternity on the lonely planet. The only way they found Rick was because he turned himself in. I guess they could monitor all earths on all universes but it starts to get tricky, especially if they're taking the place of another Rick and Morty (et al) who just died or something. Or better yet like I said before, go to a universe where they already captured a Rick. Although I guess then its a dick move to not help that Rick out.

Is it really inter-dimensional though? I didn't think the government was, I thought they were just inter-galactic.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 13, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Verviticus posted:

thats the point. the joke is in his overreaction and is delivered again when he says its not included in the two choices. its not meant to make sense.

Everybody here seemed to disagree. It did seem like a non-sequitur (same with the screaming sun) but what I like about Rick & Morty is that things you think are a non-sequitur end up coming back later to mean something, unlike say lovely Family Guy where every joke is just completely throwaway.

:shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I actually thought Mr.Meeksis got pretty annoying by the end of the episode. Probably my least favorite.

NiceGuy posted:

One thing I've been wondering a little since the finale, not sure if its been discussed yet: did anyone else find it strange that they showed Giga-Squanchy step on Tammy's ankle to knock her down and then... nothing? No resolution on that whatsoever. I feel as though if he killed her it's something they would have shown, but since they didn't I fear for the Squanch :(

Nah that's definitely part of the cliffhanger ending. Is Squanchy still alive? Hell, for that matter, is Birdperson still alive? He got shot up pretty bad but so did Mr.Poopy-butthole. Especially with alien technology he could pull through. (Plus somebody mentioned he was a phoenix?) And yeah, is Tammy still alive either? Its all a big question mark, along with 'how is Rick gonna get out of jail'.

Squanchy is a pretty cool guy and his squanch is pretty funny so I don't think they'll squanch him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

So was Gearhead another one of their war buddies who happened to turn on Rick?

I guess it isn't made clear which war (or maybe its something related to the conflict Rick mentioned was Birdperson's "big day") but I figure the government was involved and if gearhead was a war buddy of Rick's, he'd be just as wanted. And he's not in the picture that Rick drops on the floor of the bar when he turns himself in to the police, which has Squanchy and Birdperson.

They seem like associates but not as close as war buddies.
He's not invited to Birdperson's wedding either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

gently caress you? No no no, gently caress me.

Hey, save your Rick rules for the sheep-Ricks, Rick-pig.

Philip Rivers posted:

Rick checking out habitable planets and deciding that Cob World isn't safe isn't a non-sequitur. That's not what non-sequitur means.

Right, that was my whole point, its not a non-sequitur. :v:

Philip Rivers posted:

I rewatched the S1 finale and just now heard Tammi talking about how much she likes bukkake. I find something new every time I watch an episode, it's great.

Yep, that one caught me by surprise recently too. I wonder if it was like the quick line Rick says about Annie's "puffy vagina", which Harmon and Roiland said they added expecting the censors to take it out, but they didn't.

A lot of animated shows apparently toss in some stuff intentionally for the censors to cut, so they get to leave in the other jokes that censors would focus on if they didn't have racier stuff to distract them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 13, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nichael posted:

Adult Swim generally has very lax content standards for its productions. I really doubt they run into many objections from the network. There's a 2012 interview with Eric Andre where he said one of the only notes he ever got from the network was that he could show himself making GBS threads so hard that his organs fell out, but could not seem like he was intentionally making GBS threads them out.

Edit: I found it. Apparently Adult Swim doesn't like him mocking Jesus or committing suicide either. Generally though, they don't seem to care.

I saw an interview with Harmon where he said the President of Cartoon Network (or maybe it was just Adult Swim IDK) was a huge fan and pretty much went into the board room to fight for their rights to do whatever they want every day. He even called him like "the hero of the show" or "the savior of the show" or something like that.

But America also seems to be much more accepting of cartoons marketed to adults now than it did a decade ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jet sanchEz posted:

What is Mr. Poopy Butthole? He kind of looks like a tampon.

He's a ridiculous cartoon character which is all part of the bait-and-switch when it ends up he wasn't one of the parasites. In reality I guess he's just a really oddly shaped person.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

i think stealy is mr. poopybutthole's cousin or at least the same species. agree/disagree, folks?

Stealy is just like one blob while poopybutthole has like a neck thing. I could see it going either way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My favorite quote is a tossup between the one I used on my avatar and "Hammurai, Ahmish-cyborg, what is this, 90s Conan?"

Agh, now I'm suddenly remembering a bunch of other quotes. The whole show is so drat quotable.

"My new catchphrase is, 'I love my grandkids!' ---- PSYCHE, Just kidding, my new catchphrase is 'I don't give a fuuuuuuck' "

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Fans of BTTF overlap with R&M

Only somewhat. "Fans of BttF" is pretty much anybody who has seen 80s action/comedy movies. Tons of those people have never even heard of R&M.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

How many Rick and Morty fans have been following Justin since his channel 101 days? Did a lot of people discover rick and morty via their exposure to his delightful catalog of works from channel 101?

I didn't know anything about Channel 101 or the adventures of Doc and Mharti until after I had watched several episodes of R&M. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

2 Girls 1 Cup: The Show. The plot starts out simple but it gets uhh... special.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/523

Was that a Dan Harmon cameo as the other dude? Or just a similar looking neckbeard dude? Hah.

This is definitely Justin Roiland's style of humor right here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GORDON posted:

Funny, I am binge-watching Community for the first time because they made fun of it in the Unity episode. I wanted to get the joke.

I'm in season 4. Pearce Hawthorne is the jerkiest character since Joffrey Baratheon.

Yeah honestly I enjoy some old school Chevy Chase but for whatever reason he is just the biggest loving dick in Community. Like I get that that's his character but it just was never fun or entertaining to me. Oh boy here's Pierce to be a dick again, probably some tired joke about Blacks or Gays or something. ha. so funny. Oh and now they've gotta waste time redeeming his character slightly so he's a huge dick but not quite full-on dick. I seriously don't care. Get back to the funny stuff.

I'm really glad he got dropped for whatever reason.

Baronjutter posted:

As much as I love the show I've heard Harmon and Roiland are both raving libertarians of some stripe. Which makes sense that the main character is an insane libertarian intergalactic free-man-on-the-spacetime and his arch nemisis is the very concept of an organized government which he's willing to murder countless of it's police and civilians if they get in the way of his right to be a space criminal.

Ugh, I really don't want to think about Rick as a Soverign Citizen but... he kinda is yeah.

At least when he turned himself in to the cops, he just accepted his fate. He didn't try to argue some bullshit legalese to get himself out of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

.... meaning that he's not a Sovereign Citizen at all, because believing that they can argue their way out of a legal jam by (insert a list of stupid things here, with each item being stupider than the last) is literally the one thing that makes Sovereign Citizens what they are.

Rick doesn't believe that people are fully independent of government and that laws only apply to people if those people consent to it, either willingly or by being tricked. He understands who is in charge and fights against it. No legal-ish arguments, no creative interpretations of tiny sections and misquotes of eons-old laws that no longer apply to anything: he fights against the government using violence. He understands why the government considers him a terrorist. Rick despises the government, but unlike a sovereign citizen, he concedes that it has authority. (Again, that's the very thing he rallies against.)

Freedom fighters and terrorists are not the same thing as freemen on the land. Saying that they are is an insult to terrorists.

Yeah fair enough. That's why I said kinda, but yeah more not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

So I just finished the second season.

They're kidding, right? About the year and a half?

Yeah when questioned on it they said it'll be more like a year.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

But they might be after him partially for his knowledge and equipment. The G-Fed seems to be pretty powerful, but they clearly haven't mastered inter-dimensional travel, at least not to the level that Rick has. And Ricks keep Morties around for camouflage, and they're not necessarily hiding from the Council of Ricks all the time. (Hell, most of the Ricks are part of that council.) It's probably the G-Fed they're hiding from.

This just seemed like a given to me. Ricks use Morties to hide from the G-Fed, but its not enough to hide from other Ricks.

I guess they could be hiding from space pirates or whatever too, but I'm pretty sure that the G-Fed was the implication.

In general Ricks don't have to hide from the Council of Ricks. Even though C-137 Rick disapproves of the Council, and they know where he lives, they live in relative harmony. Its only when Ricks start getting murdered that they investigate him, and even then he just gives himself over to them because he knows he can trust them to not gently caress him up over nothing. And they mention knowing other Ricks who disprove of the Council too like the Artist formerly known as Rick, and seem cool with him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I know it's been answered before but I can't find it, but what is the song that's played at the end of S02E10?

Seriously?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gonna have to install this as I've been roleplaying my character as Rick (which is a recognized name in the game, also I'm majoring in chems, nuclear physicist, science, and maintaining an alcohol addiction) and the baby as Morty :cheeky:

Which also helps me get over the narrative dissonance at having a lost child you're supposed to be looking for but instead loving off for 3 months to become master of the wasteland. Rick is gonna get around to rescuing baby Morty.... eventually.

These veloci-tinis ain't gonna drink themselves.

There's no great hair option for Rick but I did my best. Just too bad the PC is voiced in Fallout 4 and sounds nothing like what I want. Oh well, hopefully we'll get a silent protagonist mod soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

"They're stealing stuff Rick, they're stealing stuff!" :xd:

Wow I didn't even notice that line the first time

:lol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The mix of cartoon eyes and hair with photorealistic face is some serious nightmare fuel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

prefect posted:

They should have used those weird splotchy pupils that people have in R&M.

Asterisk Eyes *_*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

McDragon posted:

Oh what the gently caress, I was going to watch one episode to see what all the hype was about. I'm halfway through my seventh. This show is amazing.

And loving weird.

Yeah, once you discover how genius it is, its pretty easy to binge through it all. I sure did.

But then you're here

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bell_ posted:

He used to be.

What I'm saying is we shouldn't be surprised when we see Peter Dinklage playing the part of Wolverine somewhere in the next few XMen movies.

Actually that would be quite surprising since Dinkladge already has a character in X-Men days of future past :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hi liter posted:

Futurama is a much more earnest show than Rick and Morty, which has more or less made its name on its nihilistic attitude towards the universe. I don't see how any other network than Adult Swim could have aired this with any success.

And yet R&M has moments like Beth and Jerry making up at the end of inter-dimensional cable #1 which are actually quite earnest and play on the heart strings just as much as futurama's big moments.

To me R&M is just Futurama that is actually laugh out loud funny instead of just kinda amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shut the gently caress up about moonmen! This isn't a musical number

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 26, 2015

• Locked thread