Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

FireWorksWell posted:

It was a well done sequence, very upsetting to watch. To me, that scene feels somewhat cheap because they never really showed much of Rick and Unity, just Unity slowly falling apart because of Rick's influence. It seemed like they had this scene too 'early' in the series to me, and If the episode showed more of Rick and Unity, or even Rick in general it might have worked in my eyes...but a scene showing anyone trying to kill themselves will usually provoke that kind of reaction from the viewer.

It's a double whammy, really, because it's Rick, who is otherwise always very certain of himself. You can only put so much backstory for a 20-25 mins show and I thought they did the best they could in that regard, really, given their format and time allocated.

I've read up on the major reactions to all of the 'pathos' and 'drama' parts of this show and honestly...I think goons are over-analyzing them far too much...as per usual. Bear with me a bit with a personal story, to understand why I think this way. I remember watching "Way of the Dee-Dee" - a Dexter's Lab episode - something like 17 or so years back, whenever it aired. It was definitely an uncharacteristic episode, not just for the show but for cartoons in general (at least it was for me), where it ends with Dee Dee crying in tears, running away, and Dexter solemnly putting on his gloves and getting back to work.

When I saw that short 7 minute episode in my early teens, I didn't loving over-analyze of "oh, but Dexter just becoming a maniac beforehand is so unrealistic! It's sloppy, fast and not earned!" Newsflash - he's a goddamn cartoon character as opposed to a real person. But that doesn't mean I didn't tear up at the end of the episode, because what mattered was that I got a profound message of it: People work best when they stay true to themselves, warts and all. So don't go through your life pretending you're something you aren't. I was just blown away and so glad that a cartoon, of all things, managed to pull off a message that played on my heartstrings, was absolutely relevant to me at the time, and surprised me in that way.

I am just so glad that Rick and Morty follow this way, continue with it in season 2 and also follow it really well. Someone else I know, that was legit raped at age 5, commented that the jellybean rape scene was spot on, though sadly she didn't manage to escape. People ITT commented on this scene with Rick as really hitting them, because they went through it themselves. The alternate realities pondering about Summer's existence are also terrific, because they do their best to boil down to what matters the most by the end of it all. And all of this is what makes this show so much better than *just* nihilistic dark humor comedy (even though I love that a lot too). It tells me its creators want to go that extra mile, transcend just that box by adding an element of humanity to it, and not be lazy when it comes to writing. That is something I can't help but be in awe of nowadays, when it comes to cartoons, where it is just so easy to get away with mediocrity (including the visual part - terrific animations).

So TL;DR - caught up with this show just now, its ultra-dark comedy is right up my street and its dramatic parts remind me why I once really grew to love cartoons in my teenage years, and why I can grow to love them again with shows like these. We now return to your regularly scheduled program of over-analysis, I suppose, as opposed to that of my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CelticPredator posted:

But the scene wasn't really about Rick and Unity. It might be more about Rick and everyone else he comes in contact with. He's a toxic force that comes into peoples lives, and basically ruins them because he's a selfish rear end in a top hat. But he gets over it quick, because he's Rick Sanchez, and he doesn't give a gently caress. Ultimately.

It's actually mentioned very well in Unity's letter to Rick (not sure if I'm paraphrasing this accurately, but words to this effect): "I realize that no matter what happens, you are not going to change ever. You do what I do so much better, without even trying, and I don't blame you for that. But it does make me think what kind of an entity I am, for being willing to put up with that."

Rick absolutely refuses to compromise his ideals or ego for anyone or anything, including someone that loves and trusts him. And that is a dealbreaker in any relationship that wants to go beyond just fooling around. In any relationship, that you want to make work for the long term, you have to be willing to compromise at least some part of who you are so that the two of you can work out. And Rick, as a character, simply refuses to do that - if he ever did that, he would stop being Rick.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yeah, that's totally the point I was trying to make, especially with that line where I emphasize these are still cartoon characters we're talking about.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CelticPredator posted:

Justin shouldn't have to listen to anyone tbh.

Especially not the internet.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ror posted:

I thought this was an interesting recurring theme from the season 1 commentary actually, that the whole show is essentially a game of tug-of-war between Justin's insanity and the rest of the crew, particularly Harmon's, desire for effective storytelling, but they have trouble figuring out where the point of balance when they're actively working on an episode. Harmon seems to worry that he's often removing too much Roiland from the mix, but I think there's clearly something enhanced by the collaboration as opposed to Justin's solo work.

In that interview, that was linked last page, Roiland and Ridley put it pretty well about S2E3's ending. Harmon basically structured the episode for the most part, but the ending itself was nothing of his and he left it up to Roiland and the storyboard folks to do whatever they'd like. The original idea was that Rick'd smash poo poo up, but instead of that they came up with an ending that resonated a lot more. The joke of it is - they didn't even put that much intent or thought behind it, but came up with something way better than the original 'smashing poo poo up' idea.

It does seem to be a really good way for the show to function. Harmon usually brings his input to most of it, and the general structure of the story, but in special select scenes he just gives Roiland and co. free reign to do whatever they'd like (such as also all the improv sketches of interdimensional TV).

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Irish Joe posted:

Rick smashing things sounds like it would be a more apt expression of his frustration and despair than the aborted suicide attempt, especially since its the first time he's expressing such feelings in front of the audience.

It also hurts things from a storytelling position because when you start with the 'nuclear option' there's nothing they can really do to build on it.

Eh...matter of taste with the first line I'd say (could debate Rick's character, but whatevs), but possibly true with the second line.

Then again, this thread has multiple pages of: "There's no way they can top this, they can't push it further." and yet on it goes. :v:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 29, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

max4me posted:

I often reflect on being 30 and watch kids cartoons. I look at my self and 5hink it s okay then I look at Fandoms and it makes me feel sad about my self.

I'm 30 too and this here is the exact reason why I never identify myself with any fandom, ever, no matter how much I might like something. Nor any anti-movement either, when it comes to entertainment. In Rick's words: "Well, that's retarded."

Like what you like and watch whatever you like. If others happen to be fans of the same things, and they happen to be obsessive morons about it, that's entirely on them and not you. Unless, of course, you decide you must defend your fandom when it comes to, sayyy...Steven Universe in a thread that doesn't have that as its topic. Then yea, proceed to feel bad about yourself for acting upon its defense/offense and identifying with a mass of internet strangers based solely on what you and they (dis)like.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm a bit partial to that last one, that looks kinda like an ironing heater. But yea, with that one he'd flop down and it'd follow, even if I see that's not quite how it'd work. Lovely concepts.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Did he mention whether or not rick created the creature?

Given that earlier in the episode Jerry actually finds it in its frozen state briefly (while he's looking for the weed-wacker I think), before putting it away, I kinda think he just took it from someplace and used the freeze ray, but yea... :shrug:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

That whole idea in this episode is from the end of this clip, isn't it?

Also, episode owned. Still kinda like the 1st ep of season 2 a bit more, since a clip from it convinced me to watch this show originally, but my 2nd fav episode ain't bad at all.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

fade5 posted:

Even if Summer did ruin the best ice cream in the multiverse. Summer!:argh:

At least it became the best ice cream in the multiverse ...for spiders.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

XboxPants posted:

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely meaning to be had in this show (even when it's a nihilistic, "the only meaning is that there is no meaning" message) and there's a point to some level of analysis but people go freaking crazy here.

Well, fans tend to overanalyze all kinds of poo poo. But I think the issue here, TBH, is how important do you think authorial intent is?

If you think it's super important, then sure you'll overanalyze every goddamn thing to divulge the *TRUE MEANING* of a nihlistic cartoon with dirty jokes and poop OR if you're on the opposite side, you'll be the dismissive twat that goes: "It doesn't mean poo poo because the authors don't think so, you're stupid for thinking it does, I don't like that and what you think."

On the other hand, if you think it's not that important in the end as to what the author intended in any kind of art, you'll probably not care that much about any of it all or (like myself) find whatever meaning you happen to see in it, regardless of what other people think you should. So sure - talking about what anything (no matter how inconsequential it is in the grand scheme of things) means to you is just fine and cool, so long as you don't get obsessive and weird about it being *THE ONE TRUE WAY*

EDIT: Hmm

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 31, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
At least it's no longer a challenging mating season for Bird Person. Which is cool, cause he too is cool.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This Harmontown clip has me thinking that the "Auto Erotic Assimilation" episode was Dan's version of a hosed up RomCom. He really really loving hates RomComs :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnygQhtwmHg

Edit: :nws: in case someone needed to be told

Eh, I don't get that vibe from that episode really. Not just because Rick and Unity actually hook up pretty quick in the episode, with no strings attached (the point being that they used to date already, this was just an old flame thing and why it didn't and can't work). Also because the chief person for 'writing' in the credits is Ryan Ridley as opposed to Harmon.

Funny clip of Harmon going off the rails, tho.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 1, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Android Blues posted:

It's really funny but wow, does he ever sound like a tool. I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

If I were completely honest, his stance on romance as a plot point is actually very goony.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yea, and he did nothing wrong too! Trying to kill that goddamn fart that wanted to kill all carbon-based lifeforms (a.k.a. moonmen).

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: I found a Beth and even a few Summers but loving no one wants to be a Jerry. :v:

I just assume everyone, who comes to these things but doesn't cosplay, essentially is Jerry.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eh, good point. None of this crap matters and we're all going to die, and I mean that in the nicest most sincere way possible.

Come watch TV.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pavlov posted:

Mathematically, no.

I'd say this way of thinking right here is the main reason why Rick can afford his amorality the way he does.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Grizzlegrax posted:

Hate to fuel the fire but in Lawnmower Dog didn't Rick say Summer was underage when they saw her in Mr. Goldenfold's dream-Mrs. Pancake's dream-sex-party-dungeon?

If you're gonna quote *that* episode as evidence, then sadly someone else will also quote the other side of it: "Sexual hangups in the pleasure chamber ARE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH!"

Do we really keep this up? I mean, I'm relatively new to SA, but on the one hand goons going from mocking slashfic to arguing the age of consent of a fictional character is probably as goony as one can get. On the other, I kinda don't want my first probation to be on this topic. Don't want to wind up like WickedHate after all.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's where the logic fails. Any fraction of infinity is still infinity, that's how infinity works. Even if an infinitesimal portion of existing planets have life on them, that still means that there are infinite worlds with life on them.

That just sounds like this sort of logic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIolNCxxGfQ

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

WickedHate posted:

Zeep had at least somewhat of a conscience, though. He was horrified when Rick destroyed the miniverse.

I'd say it's just as likely he was horrified in the sense of: "You just wrecked my life's work, you asswipe!" as opposed to: "Oh god, won't someone think of the miniverse children!"

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

johntfs posted:

The main difference was more that while Morty would (and did) verbally object to Rick's slavery scam, he objects privately to Rick. Summer would likely have kicked off a revolution like she did in the Unity episode.

And this time there wouldn't have been a Morty around to merely riff on her naivete: "Ah man...second race war, huh?"

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Well yes...I mean...she wants to constantly be, like, totally stoked about everything. One can see how that can be a serious problem, were she ever to become Rick's main partner.

That being said, the melting ghost baby kinda was something I wouldn't blame even a typical teenager being upset over.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
My read on her is that a) Like most rebellious daughters, she really doesn't want to follow in Beth's footsteps (see Rixty Minutes) b) Is very progressive, well-meaning, if also naive due to that (her actions on most adventures wind up being that) and c) Tends to be such not so much due to any kind of moral center, but since she's quite concerned about her popularity, as shown by the last episode of Season 1 (and to quote Nancy, that is *NOT* what Lincler stood for!)

I honestly get the impression that her 'being an accident' for such a long time in the mind of her parents was something that played a huge part in her being subconsciously neglected by her parents. Kids do pick up on that, so she stopped looking to her mother as a role-model awhile back and just latched onto whatever her school peers offered. Which was, of course, mostly just your standard teenager stuff. As for brains, well, she and Morty are both about par for the course. Not quite as bland as Jerry, but not quite as refined as Beth.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 4, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Well yeah, sure, she's more assertive than Morty. OTOH this also makes her more of an inconvenient traveling companion than Morty, because while he also objects to Rick's actions like it's been said, he does so privately and is moreso willing to roll with the punches. It's probably the main reason why Rick picked Morty to be his helper, other than the whole: "Uh, I don't adventure with girls." shtick he grew out of.

And as strange as this might sound, I respect Morty a lot more for that than Summer. Yeah, one could say that "at least Summer's not sheeple," but being just a rebellious teenager as the alternative to having Beth as a role-model or putting up with Rick's poo poo is hardly proof of that (plus she's still jealous as hell of Morty having been picked first by Rick). Morty, OTOH, is genuinely braver than her and is willing to tolerate plenty of mindfucks, just to see an adventure through. As a result, sure, Morty comes off as a fair bit less assertive than Summer on the decision-making part of things...but it also means that he follows through and learns more, is still genuinely curious to learn about new multiverse things while Summer prefers to go back to her iPhone, and is also brave enough to keep doing this. And he has his own moral center and does things according to it, not being that concerned with popularity.

The counterpoint, though, is also that while there's no worry whatsoever that Summer would ever turn into Rick, there's a very real chance that Morty might find himself in his shoes one day.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dieting Hippo posted:

this is what dan harmon and justin roiland say in every interview

Right. And that brings us back to how important one thinks authorial intent is. Me? I'm perfectly aware they probably don't put that much thought in it, other than a lot of osmosis and hashing poo poo out as they go along.

Doesn't mean you can't still read into what something means to you personally. The writers are the writers and the show is the show. And it's more than possible for someone to not expend much effort, but still come up with something others get a whole lot more out of than they intended. I really don't care if I'm *right* about the poo poo I scribble here - it's not the point at all. Like I said, people who put too much on authorial intent tend to be those types of crazies.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

KoRMaK posted:

It's not even in the spirit of the show.

Why would this matter? "It's not even in the spirit of the show to analyze a cartoon" - so what?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

KoRMaK posted:

It's like finding out that you like a show because its fun and not tedious, and then you go hang out with other people who also like the show and you think it will be a similiar expeireince to the show: fun and not tedious.

But instead you get there and its not fun and IS tedious.

See: bronies for another example of "not being in the spirit of the show"

If you find this kind of analysis tedious, maybe you can just skip over the longer posts ITT and focus just on the short ones that riff on all the jokes or whatever you don't find tedious.

And your example of bronies 'not being in the spirit of the show' is definitely not terribly demonstrative of that always being a bad thing, ever. In that case, it's moreso in the fact that half of them are closet horse-fuckers, that fap to cartoon horses and crowd little kids that also come to all those cons. I agree that's definitely far too much, but if you're gonna compare that kind of thing to our analysis and sperging over things ITT, then dude - you're on the SA forums! I mean...sooner or later, this stuff happens here and for a lot of folks it ain't just a bad thing either. Heck, :spergin: is one of the main reasons a forum exists.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Gimme my loving enchiladas *laughs*

EDIT: TBH, those are actually the ones I like the most from Rixty Minutes - the ones where you can feel the 4th wall cracking. Like that SNL skit: "Starring...a man painted silver who makes robot noises, Garmanarnar, three...uh...am...uh, I'll...I'll get back to that one..." I can just imagine the artists drawing random poo poo and the narrator failing to keep up with the images on the improv take.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 4, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Johnny Truant posted:

There's a difference between discussions, and huge essays about the purported motivations behind fictional characters that people sperg out about.

Didn't know an average of 3-5 lines and 2 paragraphs per post now qualifies as an essay.

Paladinus posted:

This can be an actual plot some day.

TBH, I'm surprised someone hasn't run with this sort of batshit crazy premise before in fiction. And I do mean really run with it, to wherever its insanity leads.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 4, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rick seems like the kind of guy who's probably made a lot of people turn into super villains, either because he broke them emotionally/psychologically/physically or because he literally created them to be that way (Like that Hitler Lincoln guy).

Abradolf Lincler sacrificed himself for others! He stood for something! (It might have been hard to pin down what he stood for, admittively, but still!)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

WickedHate posted:

Lincler was created to be true neutral.

Between him and the episode, where they have to flee to another universe, it's pretty well-established that Rick's a scientific genius in every field, except genetics.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Ouch...yeah...

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 4, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Philip Rivers posted:

I mean, mathematically speaking, Morty and Summer are both pieces of poo poo.

Well, that's what happens when you only consider human beings not by height or age but by the amount of pain in your rear end.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Fister Roboto posted:

Can't you people just say "I guess I don't see the joke you're trying to point out, oh well" instead of arguing over the mechanics of pissing?

If there's anything that goons will always take seriously it is bodily fluids of all kinds.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I wonder how long Charlie Adler's entry is? I remember that guy being everywhere, when I was a kid.

Turns out, not too shabby.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So I just discovered this show the other day and just finished binging through it with my fiance.
I think this might be my new favorite show (at least while the Venture Brothers is in it's off-time).

I love your account name. It's a good book, isn't it?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Last Chance posted:

I was going to :spergin: out and ask if episode titles were really spoilers, but yeah that second one sort of is. I'm very ready.

Yea, the second one is, but given that ITT it's been mentioned before as confirmed, that this season would have its own Rixty Minutes episode, it's not that much of a spoiler. Granted, someone may have missed that bit of info so, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Solice Kirsk posted:

And everyone is gonna eat it up each and every time they do it. I'm hoping Justin is enough keep this show fresh.

Like I said, the main appeal of Rixty Minutes for me were the clips where the 4th wall broke and you could just imagine the chaos in making them. Doing that once is cool, funny and nice to see the artists not taking themselves that seriously. But trying to sustain and repeat that a second time while keeping it fresh is...challenging, to say the least.

• Locked thread