Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was craving for another Sci-Fi animated series after Futurama got cancelled (again). So far this is looking fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Reminder that someone looked at Jhonen Vasquez's work and thought "I need him to be the creator and writer of a children's TV show".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This thread really needs a first post that more accurately reflects how loving excellent this show is.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm surprised that there hasn't actually been any yelling or brouhaha in the last week. Everyone's been pretty cool, no matter what their perspective on things.

That scene made a lot of people uncomfortable, but I don't think I've read a single post anywhere that said it was completely out of line and offensive. At most people say that it didn't quite hit the mark.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

For another, Morty is dumb as poo poo.

Morty is dumb in the same way Philip J Fry is dumb. In many of the episodes shown thus far he's been capable of some intelligent insight and clever ideas.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CoolCab posted:

Plus if Morty and Rick had the same DNA, the whole world would have had the hots for Rick as well. They can't possibly be genetically identical.

Who says they didn't? The only time Rick was being chased was when he was with Morty, and at no point did anyone say "You're not Morty" or something similar to Rick. Rick never really had any direct contact with the horde after that point.

Not to help derail the thread with this talk, I just found that interesting.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Why does he have a picture of Justin Roiland on his desk? Staring at him?

Why don't you?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Writh posted:

Also the convo about how Lorenzo Music and Bill Murray which was totally a convo I had more then once, to other people's disinterest.

Is this a thing? Do people talk about Lorenzo Music to each other? I know I've had it a few times but how does a conversation like that trigger. :catdrugs:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I just realised...

The first episode, when morty is dealing with the whole neutrino bomb.

Look at Morty's pants. They're white. Compared to blue. It's a different goddamn reality. That is an alternate rick and morty. That rick and morty is blown to smitherines. :golfclap:

EDIT: It isn't a fakeout. They are both blown up, the rick and morty we are introduced to aren't the ones we watch. Goddamn this show is amazing.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 8, 2014

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

crazysim posted:

Those are the "pants" he wears in his bed. See the stinger of S1E4.

Goddamnit

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SwissCM posted:

Goddamnit

Still, it's good detail am I right :v:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Ooooohhhh poo poo dawg! SDCC footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Q253vh_V0

:allears: That ending.

Welp looks like the quality isn't going to go down. That was loving fantastic.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Typical posted:

I suppose you could extrapolate that.

Man, I'm really glad they aired that. Its one of the best sequences. the whole roy thing was really interesting from reading the script and we all couldn't wait to see the animatic. (the thing you just watched) also We went back and forth on that arcade design for a week. A guy named Jeff Mertz did that. hes an Ex Futurama designer. hope you guys all like the way its coming together.

You work on the best animated series currently on TV. Maybe one of the best ever, second only to golden age Simpsons.

How does that make you feel :allears:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

Whats this about return to form? Has Rick and Morty done something between season 1 and 2 that was considered terrible that I don't know about? Because I think Season 1 was pretty consistent (and weird).

The ridiculously long break between seasons is pretty terrible.

The first 2 episodes of season 2 are some of the best television I've seen. The writing is just so loving good.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm sorry too, though if it means anything, I bought the Rick and Morty BluRay.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I would if there was a region 2 DVD version

The US Bluray is Region Free. If you actually want to get the DVD version for some reason, you can get region free standalone DVD players for next to nothing nowadays. Or just use VLC on your PC or something.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

I live in Australia so i'm not sorry. But i enjoyed it thoroughly :)

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/rick-morty-season-1/616798/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/rick-morty-season-1/616794/

i mean to my knowledge there's no way to actually watch the show in Australia outside of buying the season whenever it comes out but goddamn if you enjoy the show and don't buy it on day one then you're a dirty bastard.

BluRay players here in Australia are down to sub-$100 levels now anyway. It's kinda silly not to have one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You're all literally poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oh god this is fantastic.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oh... my god...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It was a pretty good Futurama episode.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's actually really good. Maybe a little unpolished compared to the rest of the series so far, but a great episode nonetheless.

The pilot is the second worst episode, next to Get Schwifty. They're still excellent television, even the Simpsons had a few B and B+ episodes during its golden run.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The whole point of Rick and Morty is that it's an idea-revisiting machine. Every episode is based on some sci-fi conceit that gets blown up and taken to extremes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's really not, but it sometimes is that way because that's how stories generally are.

Rick and Morty creators: 'We're pulling apart the tropes of sci-fi'

It's how Dan Harmon structures his shows. Act 1 is what we've seen before. Act 2 and 3 deconstruct it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 8, 2015

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Glad that's all settled.

My tone kinda comes off as argumentative sometimes :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Have you tried drawing pictures of naked children loving? That seemed to work for Rebecca Sugar.

A lot of what Roiland made in the past for Channel 101 is a lot worse. Considering he also posts frequently on 4chan, I shudder to think what has come from his pen when he was a teenager.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

prefect posted:

I thought he hated romantic comedies because they're always about someone getting cheated on.

I think there are a lot of valid reasons to hate romantic comedies.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

It is a deus ex machina, but if there are enough consequences then then a deus ex machina can be a good thing.

Let's say the The Council of Ricks breaks Rick out at the expense of their being no more tans-demntional travel. That would be an acceptable reason to use that route. It would hurt the aura of the show, but that's already been done by this episode.

No matter what happens, I love this show for writing itself into corner in a world that has nor corners. They know that to get themselves out of this; they have to gently caress something up.

Well, there is that little bit with all the ricks in the spaceship in the opening credits. That might be a clip from Part 2?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

prefect posted:

I could swear Matt Groening once said that he promised the Fox execs "a modern-day Flintstones" just to get them to go along with the Simpsons.

To be fair, and not that i'm saying it's a bad thing but... that's basically what they got.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WELL HE ROPED ME INTO THIS

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was a Community fan so I came in from over there. I was obliquely aware of Channel 101 and Justin Roiland's work, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MacFarlane has very little to do with Family Guy or American Dad anymore, not for years.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

So if any you got a HTC Vive, Rick and Morty voices the robots from Portal that you shoot from a slingshot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjNxWNriWHE

His voice also pops up in Hover Junkers as the robot chef dude.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

They also did voices for Job Simulator and there's a radio station called "Human Music"

I guess Justin Roiland is really into Virtual Reality? :allears: (As if we didn't already know that from the Roy video game)

He's currently developing a game for the Vive. Article

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't they also drinking heavily during said commentary?

They're drinking heavily all the time. They're functional alcoholics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can't wait for HDR cartoons.

• Locked thread