Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Chainsawdomy posted:

On the Madong side, my guess for next week is Byunkwang successfully rebels and does away with Asol, Haesung, or Injik. I think Seolhwa and Kyrungryul will support him, and either Asol or Injik depending on who he's planning to off. Or I guess it's possible that Madong actually wins next week and no one goes home. (Speculation spoiler-ed due to listing survivors, not because of preview).
I don't think so. He's the biggest hardliner on that side, who actually wanted badly to eliminate Asol before Hael. If he rebels he'll get no support. Injik could rebel though.

Lots of Koreans are really bad at throwing. I wonder if that's true of Americans as well. When that one woman was like "hmm I've never thrown before" I was like bwuhh?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Whilst we're all fans here and there isn't a ton of complete Genius noobies visiting the thread, I was pretty pumped for this so you might be too.

Rob C and Stephen Fishbach of Survivor and RHAP fame are doing a Know It Alls style audiobook recapping Season 1 of The Genius. First episode is up on the website/your podcast app for free. The rest is $3.99

Great excuse to do another rewatch over the Christmas break.
http://robhasawebsite.com/genius-knowitalls-season-1-audiobook-preview-episode-1-podcast/

Awesome, definitely going to grab it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SelfOM posted:

Awesome, definitely going to grab it.

Worth it for the name pronunciations alone.

And the throwing thing, I guess I doubt that many Korean kids grew up playing catch as a Thing. Baseball culture is incredibly American, and I only noticed one person throwing like a pitcher. The guy who loves his wife of two years was decent, but everybody else kind of looked like "EW THIS BALL IS SO DISGUSTING GET IT AWAY FROM ME"

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Propaganda Machine posted:

And the throwing thing, I guess I doubt that many Korean kids grew up playing catch as a Thing. Baseball culture is incredibly American, and I only noticed one person throwing like a pitcher. The guy who loves his wife of two years was decent, but everybody else kind of looked like "EW THIS BALL IS SO DISGUSTING GET IT AWAY FROM ME"

Baseball is definitely a thing in Korea, its probably the 2nd most popular sport.

eta- in fact the woman who was eliminated first was some kind of baseball broadcaster.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 20, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Precise, straight throwing isn't really a skill people practice a lot, I think most people are poo poo at that sort of thing (me included, I suck at carnival games). Usually when you NEED to toss something one-handed somewhere (an empty can, tissues, a set of keys, the remote, etc), you just throw it at an arc.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Dias posted:

Precise, straight throwing isn't really a skill people practice a lot, I think most people are poo poo at that sort of thing (me included, I suck at carnival games). Usually when you NEED to toss something one-handed somewhere (an empty can, tissues, a set of keys, the remote, etc), you just throw it at an arc.

Basketball > Baseball

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

As green as they are with the show, the names, Korean culture etc. It's still been really good to listen to. I've seen the first season three times and they still have some interesting perspective on things that I hadn't really thought about.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna be into buying that podcast but hearing them immediately fall in love with Sangmin, I know they're gonna be on point.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Maduo posted:

I wasn't sure if I was gonna be into buying that podcast but hearing them immediately fall in love with Sangmin, I know they're gonna be on point.

They are looking at the show in quite a different way from how it was seen here when it aired with way more focus on the social dynamics over the games. In the open/pass game they don't really go into Jinho's brilliance in figuring out the card back trick but more into how he weakened his position by not telling his ally Poong the trick as well. It's a great new perspective and makes you see things in a new way.

Speaking of Open/Pass, Bumdi;'s channel had part of a panel interview where the showrunner confirmed the card back design was deliberately made asymmetrical like he had seen in Magic the Gathering to make cheating possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_znM78VzJ94

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Episode 8 is up.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Episode 8 discussion!

"Sahyuk messed up, but Jiwon is a woman, better eliminate her!". It's a shame to see so many of the woman getting this treatment, and a big part of MJ's success is that no one seems to believe she's actually as cunning as she is, thinking that Pharoh is actually in charge etc. When people do acknowledge how good she is, it's often expressed by comparing her to a man. Sahyuk deserved elimination this episode, but not because of a one off performance as such. Based on his "brain" role, his performance shows why he's useless and should have been eliminated from a "challenges to come" perspective.

The mental challenges in this show aren't hard. There are (were?) a bunch of PhD students in this cast; no mental task in the show is ever going to strain their intellectual ability. What the mental challenges actually test (something that the cast doesn't seem to have caught onto) is the ability to remain calm under pressure and not panic. Even simple mental tasks (like the mental challenges in the show) can become extraordinarily difficult under anxiety and pressure, and some very smart people are susceptible to incredible bouts of anxiety. A strength or physical test is relatively easy to push through even when anxious, and while dexterity tasks can be affected by anxiety, it's nowhere to the same degree as in mental tasks (where someone can just completely blank). This is why MJ is actually a really good pick for the brain role, and why Sahyuk convincingly displayed that he's useless in a high pressure individual mental task (which will most certainly be the case in the final 3 challenge); has nothing to do with how smart he obviously is.

It's something that's really frustrating with reality TV in general. Making eliminations based on "future potential" instead of one-off screwups is totally fine, in theory. It's just that men always get the benefit of the doubt with respect to their future potential, and women do not. "All girl alliances" are a thing in reality tv precisely because they know that men will underestimate them. MJ made a mistake in eliminating Jiwon, because she's likely better at mental tasks than Sahyuk for the above reasons, and was actually willing to do the all-girl alliance thing. I think it's very likely that MJ is the only woman who'll ever be elected leader, and she threw away a clearly sympathetic vote in Jiwon.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 22, 2016

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey, please spoiler tag that. The episode got removed from daily motion, and trying to get the raw file to use with the soft subs is making my eyes bleed.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Hey, please spoiler tag that. The episode got removed from daily motion, and trying to get the raw file to use with the soft subs is making my eyes bleed.

My bad. I wonder why they are getting removed now, after Bumdi's been subbing for so long.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Maduo posted:

They've said multiple times that he is "the greatest character in the history of reality TV"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dang, looks like Dailymotion killed this episode.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Arcanen posted:

My bad. I wonder why they are getting removed now, after Bumdi's been subbing for so long.

Thanks, bro :shobon:

Hopefully we can figure this out soon.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Arcanen posted:

Episode 8 discussion!

"Sahyuk messed up, but Jiwon is a woman, better eliminate her!". It's a shame to see so many of the woman getting this treatment, and a big part of MJ's success is that no one seems to believe she's actually as cunning as she is, thinking that Pharoh is actually in charge etc. When people do acknowledge how good she is, it's often expressed by comparing her to a man. Sahyuk deserved elimination this episode, but not because of a one off performance as such. Based on his "brain" role, his performance shows why he's useless and should have been eliminated from a "challenges to come" perspective.

The mental challenges in this show aren't hard. There are (were?) a bunch of PhD students in this cast; no mental task in the show is ever going to strain their intellectual ability. What the mental challenges actually test (something that the cast doesn't seem to have caught onto) is the ability to remain calm under pressure and not panic. Even simple mental tasks (like the mental challenges in the show) can become extraordinarily difficult under anxiety and pressure, and some very smart people are susceptible to incredible bouts of anxiety. A strength or physical test is relatively easy to push through even when anxious, and while dexterity tasks can be affected by anxiety, it's nowhere to the same degree as in mental tasks (where someone can just completely blank). This is why MJ is actually a really good pick for the brain role, and why Sahyuk convincingly displayed that he's useless in a high pressure individual mental task (which will most certainly be the case in the final 3 challenge); has nothing to do with how smart he obviously is.

It's something that's really frustrating with reality TV in general. Making eliminations based on "future potential" instead of one-off screwups is totally fine, in theory. It's just that men always get the benefit of the doubt with respect to their future potential, and women do not. "All girl alliances" are a thing in reality tv precisely because they know that men will underestimate them. MJ made a mistake in eliminating Jiwon, because she's likely better at mental tasks than Sahyuk for the above reasons, and was actually willing to do the all-girl alliance thing. I think it's very likely that MJ is the only woman who'll ever be elected leader, and she threw away a clearly sympathetic vote in Jiwon.

Looten Plunder posted:

They've said multiple times that he is "the greatest character in the history of reality TV"

I agree with all of this completely. Sangmin is obviously the mysterious broadcaster voice!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I think Jiwon deserved getting cut for going 'we would have won if I did the puzzle' which is the perfect way to piss everyone off. MJ can always send Sahyuk off to the gulag of Madong the next day so he can be useless for them.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Do they have any brainiacs left of they send him though? I have no idea how good byul would do against the gut who has been married for 3 years.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Looten Plunder posted:

Someone show them Dongmin.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Haesung is viscerally unpleasant to look at and I would like him gone now, please.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He's just some nerd

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think our overlord goddess just threw away the one good mental player on her side

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Dias posted:

I think our overlord goddess just threw away the one good mental player on her side

Everyone seems to be plotting for the final 3 a little early. Arcanen was absolutely right, the mental problems aren't that hard and MJ can handle them just fine because she's smart AND good at managing her stress. But there's still quite a few games left, and MJs better off in strength roles until then. Sahyuk's not great, but if they throw Sahyuk over to Madong next episode, they'll be seriously hobbled against the mighty Kyungryul.

On the other side, I'm actually impressed how well Byungkwan's ruthless meritocracy is doing. That and the reveal that he's had the hidden key for days makes him look at lot smarter than when he was just complaining about Asol over and over again.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Someone show them Dongmin.

They said if the first audiobook goes well, they'll try and do the rest of the seasons. I'm most interested in how they'll view S2, since that's such a weird one, but also where their beloved Sangmin gets his just dues.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 23, 2016

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Arcanen posted:

Episode 8 discussion!

I don't think that was the narrative at all. It was more that Jiwon really added the least to the team as far as her individual play along with team strategy. Sahyuk was definitely the black hole in this particular episode, but as MJ-Pharoh-Macho concluded, he contributes a lot to the overall strategy of the daily games along with whatever individual ability he has. They want to use him as an asset to win as many games as possible and then cut him when necessary, whereas Jiwon just has the least amount of utility overall.

MJ has maneuvered her way to the point where she no longer needs sympathetic votes, the alliances in Nopdong are set in stone. Any of the possible final 3 has her in it, so she's playing purely to win as much money as possible along with taking the best players with her to the final.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I just binged all 8 episodes. I got curious when I saw the old Genius thread was being bumped, I'm so glad I didn't miss this!

Can I just say that MJ moves around like a sexy panther? :swoon: She's a living, breathing Street Fighter character, including the outfit. She's never caught standing still, or slouching. Her idle animation in everyday situations is sublimely terrifying, she's constantly staying loose and sizing everyone up.

I really like the smart skinny guy who's name starts with a K on Madong's side. He's a total ace who performs great under pressure, but he has no charisma and no game theory. Has he ever tried once to take part in any kind of an alliance? This week he had a great chance to position himself as The Brains of Madong and use the leverage he has with H's poor performance to suck up to Dear Leader and try to campaign for the mental slot in the final 3. But I have no idea what he's trying to accomplish with the rebellion key item. I think he is just feeling desperate and trying to make some kind of move but didn't think it through at all.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
He basically said right after he bought it that it was a waste of prize money and that he didn't know why he bought it

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
MJ is probably my favorite reality/game show participant in I don't know how long. It's so rare for the people I like from the beginning to actually be great at the game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://t.co/dNrjpZ9n7V

Happy New Year, goons, and may God Emperor MJ bless 2017.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Oh thank god, Bumdidlyumptious has finally stopped using dailymotion.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, since episode 9 came out just in time for New Years Eve, let's talk about it a bit.

MJ continues to be the political Goddess that she's always been. Dropping the leadership to Macho so he could send Insun without her getting burned (and killing Sahyuk to boot) is smart, seeing that Macho seems to be content enough with hanging with her to a top 3 right now. Asol coming in does change the dynamics quite a bit for Nopdong tho, since he's probably the second-best social player after MJ. Interesting that the MMA "physical" players seem to be the best at politics, huh? Guess it's easier when you have something to offer. I still think MJ can recover her leadership whenever she wants, and she's seeded enough trust in most players that she should be good to go for a top 3 finish.

On Madong's side, I think Haesung kinda saved his own skin pushing the Kyungryul/Donghwan hint conspiracy, so that's good on him. Madong hasn't had a good leader since Sanggook, and Donghwan continues that tradition. Asol wasn't willing to take control there and he was probably the best successor to the throne anyways, so they deserve what they get. That side is a mess. Getting Insun on the trade doesn't help much either, she's probably the weakest player left.

As for the games, they continue to be the weakest part of Society Game, and dice stacking under a firm breeze made it kind of a luck-based thing. The memory part of it was cool and harder than I expected it to be. I still think throwing away Jiwon was a mistake and she would be real good at these games, but I just wanted girl Hyunmin to have more screentime so hey.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The interesting part now is that MJ doesn't really need her leadership back. Having Macho in charge is actually a good thing in many ways, since it means she can get more money. The leader can't really spoil themselves, but Macho is a lovesick idiot who won't really be blamed too harshly for giving cash to MJ at a level she never could have gotten away with giving herself. I still think the elimination by MJ last week was a mistake (at the time, before Macho gave her the equivalent of 10 rounds of winning...) because too many tasks require multiple "mental players", but MJ is now positioned extremely well for the final. It's pretty clear what the last 2 eliminations have been about. Nothing to do with alliances or keeping leadership, but establishing MJ in the role where she's actually best suited, as the mentalist. You don't really need alliances if everyone has to bring you for a chance of victory in the final.

Also, Madong continuing to be completely self-destructive. Sending Asol was just absurd; Haesung was clearly the appropriate choice. He's continuously shown himself to be weak in challenges despite his posturing, is extremely damaging to team morale, and already displayed a willingness to rebel. "We are replacing Haesung with Kyungrul in our alliance" should have been such an easy sell. Haesung knows it too, which is precisely why he's so incredibly intimidated by Kyungrul.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 31, 2016

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I love how Haesung is scared shitless of Kyungrul because Haesung is basically second fiddle to him. Pushing conspiracies and throwing everything but the kitchen sink to try to get Kyungrul eliminated was both hilarious and sad. Kyungrul did make a mistake of having literally anything to do with Byungkwan though. Stay away Kyungrul, only bad poo poo awaits there you fool. Should have just stayed quiet and coasted into the top 3 since he's clearly the best mental player on that team with enough dexterity to get by.

Also as usual MJ continues to blow everyone out of the water in every possible metric. She doesn't even need to be leader anymore, just have Macho as a more-than-willing puppet to take the heat and she's golden. Hell, she even got an extra 7-8000 Koreabucks for the trouble.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
In pretty sure that bumdi translates the price money or they show it in US dollars. 10000 Won is less than $10, that can't be right.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

It was difficult watching Madong constantly lie to each other for most of the episode. Byanku-whatever is not a good leader, either.

MJ has been very capable at all the competitions, and I would be surprised if she's not in the top 3.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Lugaloco posted:

I love how Haesung is scared shitless of Kyungrul because Haesung is basically second fiddle to him. Pushing conspiracies and throwing everything but the kitchen sink to try to get Kyungrul eliminated was both hilarious and sad. Kyungrul did make a mistake of having literally anything to do with Byungkwan though. Stay away Kyungrul, only bad poo poo awaits there you fool. Should have just stayed quiet and coasted into the top 3 since he's clearly the best mental player on that team with enough dexterity to get by.

Also as usual MJ continues to blow everyone out of the water in every possible metric. She doesn't even need to be leader anymore, just have Macho as a more-than-willing puppet to take the heat and she's golden. Hell, she even got an extra 7-8000 Koreabucks for the trouble.

Kyungryul's biggest weakness right now is he's absolutely awful at diplomacy. Literally everyone wants Byungkwan out now but can't decide on the terms for it. This is where having the key would have been to his benefit, but he revealed it sloppily and made everyone paranoid. At this rate he'll be eliminated out of jealousy or paranoia, when neither should really matter. The only thing that kept him alive here was that everyone sees right through Haesung.

Dias posted:

Asol coming in does change the dynamics quite a bit for Nopdong tho, since he's probably the second-best social player after MJ. Interesting that the MMA "physical" players seem to be the best at politics, huh? Guess it's easier when you have something to offer.

MMA is a crazy world to live in and basically requires dexterity, mentality, strength and politicking to go anywhere in. MJ and Asol are successful fighters (Asol is the champ in his FC right now) so it's no wonder they look so comfortable in this world. I suspect the MMAlliance will do very well, provided Macho and Pharoh don't knock one of them out to secure their spots.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gonna assume that the above massive spoiler block is enough to shield any accidental thread viewers who haven't seen EP 9 yet.

It's amazing watching Byungkwan continue his New Public Management rampage in Madong. "I want to introduce some tension", "people have been slacking off a bit", "you need to be motivated". It is safe to say that he has managed to introduce a certain tension in the team. Mission accomplished. Also, it was sad watching Insun talk to MJ before the resident swap, thinking she had an in with MJ when MJ had in fact thrown the other women under the bus several days ago without them seeming to realise it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Ep9 Asol :h: that separation scene
MJ should have won some awards at that one show that gives TV awards

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wow, there is a lot to be said about this episode.

At first I felt like Byungkwan was actually tapping into something with how he successfully got the already disliked Haesung to self-implode in front of everyone. Oh hey, the transfer is coming up and now everyone hates his guts, that worked out well. Maybe there is something to singling out the worst participants so that everyone feels less qualms about who is being eliminated. But then he fucks up when he gets tricked by Asol to reveal who he blacklisted. But hey, it was Haesung who everyone already hates so just stay the course and everything should be fine. Maybe there is hope for Madong after all.

But then he reveals that he is under no circumstance transferring Haesung. Like honest to god, he just got everyone to hate Haesung through his new rules and he even blacklisted him himself. Why on gods green earth did he then let the team implode over keeping him? Not even when Haesung tries to oust him does he waver in his conviction to keep him for even a moment. Jesus christ, there's poor politicking and there's just idiocy. :psyduck:

Kyungryul is killing me. He is clearly miles ahead on the other contestants on logic games but he just has absolutely no head for strategy. For example, what was he even trying to accomplish by revealing the key to Asol? I thought, oh hey he's going to convince Asol to help him rebel so that they can control the transfer and break the deadlock, brilliant! Instead, he just casually reveals it with no plan and then Asol tells everyone within five minutes anyway rendering the key completely useless. Great job. :thumbsup:

MJ is still incredible, the way she just cold-heartedly eliminated two players devoted to her with the support of the rest of the team without even breaking a sweat was chilling. However, I worry that Macho giving her 10 000 was an over-reach. I mean it's pretty clear that she's hurrying to cut down the rooster to reduce the possibility of the have-not's of her final three joining together and ousting her on the final day. If she can get the number of team members to 5-6 she's virtually guaranteed to be on someone's final three even if she loses control. But now that MJ and Macho both have so much of the prize money I can't help but wonder if the other players are slowly starting to realize that there's only room for one of them if MJ remains the leader. Furthermore, the addition of Asol who has proven a grandmaster at escalating even the simplest of conflicts of interests into massive spats is sure to add some tension to the situation as long as he isn't booted off in the next episode.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Be careful where you visit if you're still waiting for Bumbdi subs for Society Game. The final episode has aired and spoilers are around online.