Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

jng2058 posted:

I made it through about 3/4 of the season and caught up with the subs, and between then and when the new episodes got done, I lost my desire to see the rest. The problem for me is that I always found the whole social experiment side of the show pretty uninteresting, and while MJ was pretty cool, I found the fact that it was pretty obvious by the halfway point who the final survivors were gonna be kinda took most of the enjoyment out of it. Especially since the games themselves, unlike the ones on Genius, were pretty basic and uninspired too.
That's me. I watched fairly deep into s1 and then didn't get around to watching a few and then decided I didn't care. It wasn't bad at all, but it didn't grab me enough for it to be worth the effort to keep up.

Blame Jeremy for this thread being bumped btw, not me!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Superrodan posted:

Hey does anyone remember off the top of their head what episode Sangmin came in with the blonde hair and the fur coat? I am looking for an image of it.

I think its s2e8 or maybe e9? Once it became super obvious he was gonna cruise to an easy win

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

kickascii posted:

when this thread is bumped, and there is no link to S2E3 subs :argh:

Episodes 3 and 4 with subs are on koreanvariety.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

CeeJee posted:

Link please!

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

https://www.reddit.com/r/koreanvariety/search?q=society+game&restrict_sr=on

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
edit: sorry wrong thread

To contribute, I've been watching Crime Scene, and I appreciate that in season 2 they seemed to tell them "if your character has a secret, you can't lie about it but you shouldn't volunteer that information" because it was kind of weird in S1 when people would say things like "I can't be the killer because at the time of the crime I was destroying evidence of a different crime I committed!"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, it's really nice that they tweaked the formula as they went along. It was pretty solid where they left off.

Bring a good English version of Crime Scene and Genius to America someone! :argh:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Or give us Crime Scene Season 3 with the main MC and Hong on the show.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TV Zombie posted:

Or give us Crime Scene Season 3 with the main MC and Hong on the show.

Are you saying you wish they would've done Crime Scene S3 differently, or do you not know that Season 3 exists?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

qbert posted:

Are you saying you wish they would've done Crime Scene S3 differently, or do you not know that Season 3 exists?

I think season 3...slipped my mind. I'm now hoping for Crime Scene Season 4.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CeeJee posted:

AND FIVE!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BSam posted:

AND FIVE!

This game was really poorly designed where the strong physical players can prevent the mental ones, especially the women, from even playing the game. With MJ out and the 'woman, respect your elder' bullshit later on this was more dumb drama then cool game playing.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
and six
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGenius/comments/7r0naq/society_game_season_2_episode_6_eng_sub/

edit: just had time to watch the episode

Slightly surprising elimination, though I can see the rationale. Park Kwangjae might have been the beefiest beefcake around, but he's not very versatile. Madong already had a ton of physically strong players in Minseok, Junho, Kwangjae and Chunsoo. This episode they lost because their mental players weren't up to snuff. With Taeho benched and Eunah in jail, they didn't really have much to work with. So removing a mental player would have them run the risk of getting into that situation again where their team has more beef than brain.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 17, 2018

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I finally watched episode 3 and I'm trying to solve the game from it:

https://twitter.com/symbolicbutt/status/953860946883117056

I'll try to polish the code and write a post detailing the approach later.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ep 7's been subbed now too.

Holy poo poo I hate Chunsoo. The only thing I really care about is him not winning.

Both seasons of Society Game have taught me that you go to Napdong if you just wanna get along and be chill, and you go to Madong for the constant drama.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Episode 7: I've been watching too much Survivor, thought Eunah was going to bust out Nopdong's immunity that they stealth gave her after their win.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Episode 8 is now subbed. Yay!

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

qbert posted:

Ep 7's been subbed now too.

Holy poo poo I hate Chunsoo. The only thing I really care about is him not winning.

This, since episode 1.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Ep 9: https://www.reddit.com/r/koreanvariety/comments/7vl4sc/society_game_season_2_episode_9_english_subs/

:siren: IT'S HAPPENING :siren:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

9: Wow, that was actually really good protection coin play on both Yuri and Taeho's parts. Yuri wouldn't have been long for game anyway if he just burned the bridges without working a trust angle.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'll actually miss Chunsoo, I eventually learned to love hating him

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Teek posted:

9: Wow, that was actually really good protection coin play on both Yuri and Taeho's parts. Yuri wouldn't have been long for game anyway if he just burned the bridges without working a trust angle.

Yuri knows he's getting voted out next time they lose. If he wanted to do maximum damage, he should have eliminated one of their brains and left Chunsoo to continue to be lovely. Yuri is too nice of a guy for that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Yuri knows he's getting voted out next time they lose. If he wanted to do maximum damage, he should have eliminated one of their brains and left Chunsoo to continue to be lovely. Yuri is too nice of a guy for that.

The immunity token really is basically a trap to just be an rear end in a top hat. I can understand why Yuri didn't even want to keep his original to begin with because whoever you eliminate, you just have to spend the next day with the team hating you and then you'll get eliminated next opportunity anyways. It's just whether you're willing to be spiteful towards your own team and then endure living with them for another day or two.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Bumdi subbed Hyunmin reflecting on The Genius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeRmK19NSkM

hyunmin also has a twitch channel where he plays a lot of Hearthstone and League: https://www.twitch.tv/o_hyunmin

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Decided to check out this thread and am on episode 2 of season 1 and I am all in. This is so good!

The way she gave him his own garnet was amazing

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 10, 2018

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Decided to check out this thread and am on episode 2 of season 1 and I am all in. This is so good!

The way she gave him his own garnet was amazing

Oh hell yes fresh blood. Feel free to keep us updated on how you feel about things as you progress.

Enjoy the ride!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

starting episode 3

I can't get over how masterful a player Gura has been.

I also love the way they explain the games visually.

Oh and Abundance Famine is my fav game si far.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

starting episode 3

I can't get over how masterful a player Gura has been.

I also love the way they explain the games visually.

Oh and Abundance Famine is my fav game si far.

Gura to me is kind of a mixed bag. He's pretty good as a social player, but it feels like a lot of it also comes from him being the by far biggest name in the room in terms of fame, i.e. I feel like a lot of his strength in the games is more because people defer to him than it's because of the specific things he does.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
ALRIGHT. Always love experiencing it again for the first time through fresh eyes. Don't read anything else at all about this including anything on wikipedia because otherwise you WILL be spoiled.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I cannot imagine them topping Zombie game because that was amazing episode.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You sweet summer child. We need a ranking of all your Extreme Ways moments at the end of season 1.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Holy poo poo do you have so much ahead of you.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just watched Burglary game, it was one of only times where I saw the strategy unfolding before it was explained (little villiage goes over to large villiage and convince them to send over their members)

Gura behavior changed in this one, I don't know if it was just frustration in him being on the outs on strategy sessions or he grew tired of the game.

The death match game I went back and forth wondering if he was being strategic or just wanting it to end because I cannot imagine that Gura was not counting the cards as well.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Also wouldn't mind a running update on who your favorite players are and/or who you think are most likely to take it all.

Definitely shifted a lot for me as the season went on. Some players who I initially disliked or counted out ended up growing on me. By the end, in retrospect, I liked pretty much the entire cast on that show (or maybe I just forgot about the less remarkable ones).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

facepalmolive posted:

Also wouldn't mind a running update on who your favorite players are and/or who you think are most likely to take it all.

Definitely shifted a lot for me as the season went on. Some players who I initially disliked or counted out ended up growing on me. By the end, in retrospect, I liked pretty much the entire cast on that show (or maybe I just forgot about the less remarkable ones).

at this point (on ep 8) I really like Enunji and think she has potential to win it. I loved her move on horse race game (only giving partial clue while everyone was giving full clues)I am curious to see what Kong Game is!

For the first couple episodes I thought Gura was destined to win it as it seemed he ran the show but like previous poster said, you eventually realize they gave him that power by essentially making him the king maker. Once people distanced from him, it was clear he was not going to get much further.

I am only on episode 8 but what are your guys favorite games?

For me my favorites so far

Zombies
Burglar
Horse Race

But I have loved every game so far. How many seasons are there? Is this show still going on?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
There are four seasons, and as far as everyone involved behind the scenes has said, it's pretty much over.

The fourth season mixes a lot of people from the first three, so it acted as sort of an intentional final season.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I think my favourite games in season one were probably the auction one (can’t remember the name), 5 questions (episode before the last one), horse race and open pass. I really liked the idea behind the Zombie game, but I really hated how Jungmoon just completely ruined it for her team.

Definitely love hearing your thoughts about it. It’s awesome getting a new viewer.

Re: society game, I think between the big gap between subs, Dogmin not being as awesome and that football player dude I really have not enjoyed season 2 nearly as much which is a shame.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Oh I forgot about Jungmoon. I take that back about liking almost everyone; gently caress Jungmoon.

Like, I wanted to root for her because she's a fellow gal engineer nerd like me (except 100x cuter), but she had negative amounts of street smarts to make up for her book smarts. And since she's so bad at the social element, she just bats her eyelashes at people and hope they take pity on her rather than offer any compelling reason to trust or work with her, which makes her even more grating. It also doesn't help that her poor social game completely tanked the viewer experience for the game she's in, so that episode kinda sucked.

at this point (on ep 8) I really like Enunji and think she has potential to win it. I loved her move on horse race game (only giving partial clue while everyone was giving full clues)I am curious to see what Kong Game is!

For the first couple episodes I thought Gura was destined to win it as it seemed he ran the show but like previous poster said, you eventually realize they gave him that power by essentially making him the king maker. Once people distanced from him, it was clear he was not going to get much further.

I am only on episode 8 but what are your guys favorite games?

For me my favorites so far

Zombies
Burglar
Horse Race

But I have loved every game so far. How many seasons are there? Is this show still going on?

Kong game is pretty boring, actually -- don't get your hopes up like I did. :( (Not much of a spoiler but just in case you really want to wait to find out the Kong game for yourself) I think Kong means 'bean' in Korean and they just use beans as a prop. The producers just wanted another chance to take a jab at resident nerd dork Jinho.

As for my favorite games? It's been so long, but as someone said the 5-5 game towards the end was a standout for me, and you'll likely see why when you get there. I don't remember the specifics on how the auction game played out, but I remember liking that one too as there was a bit of cleverness to it.

I think the games in season 1 were weaker overall than later games from a design perspective, but the show was also overall most charming because people were still figuring out what playing the games really mean.

The later seasons have some really great games in terms of design where yeah, you can backstab and betray, but you have to do so smartly, rather than just last-minute backstabbing for the sake of backstabbing. There are more layers to consider if you choose to play spoilsport, if you will. However, by season 4 everyone's also become such shrewd and well-tuned players as well. On the one hand, you get some pretty badass 'oh poo poo' moments of betrayal and counter-betrayal (the fantastic episode editing very much helped), but the fact that everyone's so sharp at the games also lessens the charm somewhat, if that makes any sense?

Incidentally, I thought the horse race game was a pretty good one, and I liked that Eunji tried to shake things up by giving misleading information and I wished more people did that. Like, you can stir poo poo up, but it's also pretty brainy and difficult to do so, because it's completely on you to keep track of (a) the actual game state, (b) the game state everyone else thinks is happening, and (c) how you can leverage a vs. b to your advantage while keeping your actions and story consistent with b.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Superrodan posted:

There are four seasons, and as far as everyone involved behind the scenes has said, it's pretty much over.

The fourth season mixes a lot of people from the first three, so it acted as sort of an intentional final season.

Jeremy!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

My favorite game is Open, Pass. I doubt I am alone.