Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I think he's only been referred to as "Bandage Face".

Well also "bandage hyung" or "bandage oppa" if my memory didn't make that up.

Meme Emulator posted:

My secret hope is that Sangmin shows up as a rival to the bandage man and offers spoiling goals in the main match that are counter to the winning goals but the prize is black garnets

That would be incredible, also should have Jinho as well as he was the first winner. Have them offer garnets and/or token of life to betray, that'll spice these games up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Xachariah posted:

Well also "bandage hyung" or "bandage oppa" if my memory didn't make that up.

That would be incredible, also should have Jinho as well as he was the first winner. Have them offer garnets and/or token of life to betray, that'll spice these games up a bit.

Sangmin and Jinho should just be there to offer advice for garnets.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

My Secret Sangmin Hope is that there will be a game that pits all the remaining cast members vs just him and Jinho. 6-8 vs 2 with the winners team getting a small advantage to start and some sort of garnet stash or benefit they can use to tempt betrayals.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
I'm am rewatching season 1 between season 3 episodes, and yeah; practice runs really made for better "genius" moments. The best example would be the open-pass episode where the way the cards were shuffled became the winning tip.
This also higlights the need for rulebreaking possiblities, which we haven't really seen this season, like the weird dice from last season.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, the practice runs were a good thing. Also I'm pretty sure there will be a way for players to find the key that opens up the deathmatch safe so they can see what it will be ahead of time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Subyng posted:

Yeah, the practice runs were a good thing. Also I'm pretty sure there will be a way for players to find the key that opens up the deathmatch safe so they can see what it will be ahead of time.
I agree with this speculation. That's the only reason for them to have it locked in a public place like that.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

I agree with this speculation. That's the only reason for them to have it locked in a public place like that.

I remember speculation last season about death matches being rigged (laser chess conveniently used when the player best at it would be playing) so maybe those rumors got to the PDs.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Maduo posted:

Is that an improvement? With a practice game on this last one you'd see much smarter play happening because immediate game ending mistakes like over-talking a move would get exposed immediately. I don't necessarily like sitting through them but I like knowing they happened because it prevents things like how this main match ended.

It feels like everyone's being SUPER conservative with their backstabs early on. There was a tone set with Kyunghoon getting offed after being the only one willing to make a (albeit pointless) dirty move. That more than the games being bad, which I think some of you are hugely overselling, is what I think is screwing things up. It's actually a lot like Liar Game in that way; a bunch of games about being filthy liars are being subverted by brutal honesty. :v:

so if season 3 is the liar game, and season 2 is kaiji (total bastards betting, lives being ruined and rules being broken) what is season 1??

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Ocean's Eleven.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thank you thread for putting me on to this show, it is amazing.

Corn Thongs posted:

I remember speculation last season about death matches being rigged (laser chess conveniently used when the player best at it would be playing) so maybe those rumors got to the PDs.

Right, because there's no way tv magic could cover up an envelope swap.

I know "producer interference" is a mainstay of reality show discussion but y'all could try harder.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If there's an envelope swap, the contestants would likely know about it and talk about it. Theories of the death match being rigged were actually quite big during Season 2, together with an internet petition that got around 11,000 signatures.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Thank you thread for putting me on to this show, it is amazing.

I know "producer interference" is a mainstay of reality show discussion but y'all could try harder.

I don't have any opinions on producer interference actually because what's the point

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

If there's an envelope swap, the contestants would likely know about it and talk about it. Theories of the death match being rigged were actually quite big during Season 2, together with an internet petition that got around 11,000 signatures.

I can't really make heads or tails of this translation. What do the theorists claim?

Sorry if this has already been covered. I was reading this thread as I caught up on the show and I don't remember much discussion about rigged death matches, but maybe I missed it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They're mad at Doohee having his ID stolen and being kicked off, thinking he should get a rematch. And that the choice of laser game was basically meant to ensure his failure, considering how easily it's rigged, as shown in the previous episode.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I think the idea was that they couldn't rig matches obviously, but they could be like oh hey Lim Yohwan is in the death match and he's our most famous contestant, plus we sure love playing up the rivalry with Jinho so let's use this Laser Chess game instead of another one since he's likely to be good at it. Thus to ensure nobody believes this anymore the envelopes in the locked case this year. Which is plausible in so much as producers do care about any negative feedback at all and will incorporate things in their shows to 'fix' things. I'm still hoping the envelopes have another purpose though.

quote:

Well yeah, but nobody has any reason to keep it quiet if they saw it, I mean at least the non entertainers wouldn't. I honestly don't think it ever happened.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 1, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

They're mad at Doohee having his ID stolen and being kicked off, thinking he should get a rematch. And that the choice of laser game was basically meant to ensure his failure, considering how easily it's rigged, as shown in the previous episode.

Oh ok. The Doohee business left a sour taste in my mouth too. (To retread old ground) I don't think anyone did anything wrong, it just made for an unnecessarily uncomfortable show (which I think the producers acknowledged and apologized for). And I think it was a death match variant of the crossing-the-line-in-the-dark game that sent Doohee packing, not Laser Chess.

I was thinking about how you'd counter the wall-off in Laser Chess once the strategy came up in the show. It's not clear to me that it's unbeatable. Wouldn't you be able to use a couple of your pieces to ensure a clear path? The total seal took like six turns to move everything into place. Are you really completely helpless for those six turns?

(Laser Chess is terrible tv and I don't miss it, but I dunno if it's so flawed.)

Zythrst posted:

I think the idea was that they couldn't rig matches obviously, but they could be like oh hey Lim Yohwan is in the death match and he's our most famous contestant, plus we sure love playing up the rivalry with Jinho so let's use this Laser Chess game instead of another one since he's likely to be good at it. Thus to ensure nobody believes this anymore the envelopes in the locked case this year. Which is plausible in so much as producers do care about any negative feedback at all and will incorporate things in their shows to 'fix' things. I'm still hoping the envelopes have another purpose though.

If the goofy lock-up-the-envelope thing doesn't have any in-game significance I'll end up more suspicious of season two, not less.

Oh and by "envelope swap" I mean you could, say, unlock the thing and switch envelopes while all the contestants are stuck behind closed doors, like in the animal game during eating times. Basically if production was intent on picking and choosing which death match game is played, the lock and key gimmick isn't going to stop them. It doesn't literally have to be dealer nuna slipping an envelope through the cracks.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I don't think any of us actually believe things were rigged and they're just trying to reassure the crazies. If it's not enough for them well tough luck.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
All the players in the losing team giving their garnets to Sujin to prevent them from being removed from the game was a great move. If they keep doing this the end prize will be much higher at the end and the risk of anyone not returning them is minimal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CeeJee posted:

All the players in the losing team giving their garnets to Sujin to prevent them from being removed from the game was a great move. If they keep doing this the end prize will be much higher at the end and the risk of anyone not returning them is minimal.

The one problem with this is that they can't give garnets away once they have been chosen for a deathmatch. There was a nice gap for them to work with in this past episode, but if the main game is a situation where the two losers are automatically selected then they won't be able to give them away.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Episode 5 is up.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Is the video in the second half hosed for anyone else? At least at the start

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

CHiRAL posted:

Is the video in the second half hosed for anyone else? At least at the start
720p is busted, change the resolution setting and you should be gold!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Ahyoung must have brought a flask this episode. Also, MENTALITY KING IS MENTALITY KING :hellyeah:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flea Wars posted:

720p is busted, change the resolution setting and you should be gold!

Or bronze, silver, or diamond.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
What were the gold shots the doctor brought in at the beginning of the episode?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dongmin loving owns.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Okay so, main match was great, the death match is still loving stupid, though its hard to say the wrong person won given Sujin's big error. I feel Yeonseung made a pretty big error in the meta game too by not taking Dongmin's offer. I mean you've been forced to come last enough times that I'd think you'd need to be making alliances not tearing them down, and Dongmin's alliance had been weakened a lot with Hweejong gone anyway.

eta- I mean look at it this way, Dongmin is willing to give up literally all his garnets to get an ally to avoid the death match, make friends with him!

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 3, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's so many things wrong with this death match game. It's not even intense when they're putting action movie music behind it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It would honestly be better if the front of the card was blank, because it just gives your opponent more information (that your back is more than this number), leading to a fold-heavy game, favoring the person who gets the initial win and the person who goes first. This death match is really bad.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Death match was ok not terrible, only if you take into account what it means for next weeks episode. I thought the main match was fantastic though, I was super tense towards the end of that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

main game owned and could have fit in well in season 1, death match still sucked. random thoughts: what the hell did yeongseoung hand out at the start? was ahyoung drunk? how is dongmin so much smarter then 90% of them?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Dongmin is a great candidate to be the season 4 returnee. He's wicked smart, funny, and yet won't be targeted immediately because he's very loyal.

Yeonseung made such a stupid decision in rejecting Dongmin's plan. Dongmin had the whole game planned out, and the only reason things didn't go exactly to plan was because he managed to underestimate Yeonseung's stupidity. Yeonseung, who clearly gets targeted by other players because no one likes him, who has no alliance of his own, who could have filled the vacuum left by Hweejong.

Sad at who was eliminated, though Sujin did deserve to lose because of that error. I don't like this deathmath though (and in general, don't really like deathmatches as a whole).

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Sujin :qq:
I had such high hopes for her :qq:

...That error was really dumb though, and when I think about it she didn't really do anything up till now. Oh, well.

Ahyoung is like the perfect match for a variety entertainer like Dongmin, I love it :haw:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Dongmin loving owns, it's not a coincidence all the previews feature him so heavily.

After this season we need a compilation of all the times Hyunmin says "we can make that person last"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeonseung sucks so much

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeonseung sucks so much

Yeonseung owns.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Ahyoung makes the best faces.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeonseung owns.

He literally chose a point value in the final round that would leave him 1 point behind that other guy if their team busted out. All that was missing was a failure horn sound effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Ahyoung is the one of the best even though she is not the brightest. She's always having a blast while nearly everyone else is serious. Dongmin looked scary when he's really deep into thought. Dongmin owns and he should always return to every The Genius seasons.