Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Thanks to a recommendation in this year's Survivor thread, I've now watched all of The Genius and Crime Scene 2. I'm starting to watch CS1 now and big thanks to whomever said to watch CS2 before CS1. Wow is it slow, they really fixed the pacing issues in just one season. I don't know if I'd continue watching all the way through CS1 if I didn't already see CS2. Oh yeah and I guess I should finish watching the 2nd half of this year's Survivor too...

Earlier this week I had to do a delivery for work, and it was to a young Korean lady. She was talking to I assume her mother, and thanks to The Genius I recognized her language specifically as Korean. Before I left I asked her if she had ever seen a Korean TV show called The Genius or Crime Scene, and man - her eyes lit up and she told me those were her favorite TV shows. That was fun since I can guarantee she'd never met any white guys who had ever seen these shows before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

i81icu812 posted:

Yeah season 2 is way better than season 1. Well the first episode of season 2 was kinda pointless. Other than that it was great

If that first episode became a full season of something like that, I'd watch and enjoy it. It was cool seeing how long it took each person to clue in that they were being tested.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm amazed people actually manage to have private conversations in those rooms.

Yeah, considering all the Sangmins under the table. Sangmen? Sangmen under the table.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

EmmyOk posted:

I was expecting someone to mark cards but Jinho's was much slicker than my idea to make a small divot with a fingernail.

You're talking Open, Pass, right? I think they said in the rules you can't mark or damage the cards.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Easily the most epic game of ring toss I've ever seen. 10/10 would listen to Suicide Squad soundtrack again.

Zythrst posted:

Also MJ owns and I'm on her team for now.

The narrative that they were building up that she was going to clown everyone in the physical game was great, shame it didn't happen. So agreed, MJ is great.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I expect there to be a society mix-up at some point, especially if 3 people get Madong on lockdown, just to prevent exactly that.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Regarding the blacklist (obvious spoiler but still speculation) He's writing names down that only show up under blacklight, right? It would explain the dark voting booth, the black paper used, and how quickly it's currently being edited over. So how likely do you think it is that he's written down Asol and Seolhwa so far, just in case?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
And we didn't even get to the blacklist! I don't know what MJ's going to do but I'm sure it will turn out to be the right call.

Anyone have any theories on Nopdong's secret messages? Madong's make kind of sense as explained in the episode, but I don't know what's going on in Nopdong's.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
As soon as I saw Kyungryul tilt his head to the side I knew he had solved the people puzzle, and that Nopdong was doomed. Kyungryul earned that victory.

Now we need MJ to go full Jinho and be on every TV show ever.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
No Dongmin either? I guess I'm happy with the three I know, but man. I liked always being right in season 2 with the mantra of "If in doubt, it's Dongmin". Because it always was.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Is there seriously no explanation recap for season 2 of Chinese Crime Scene? It's just been "the killer is...this person!" and then show's over, everyone go home. It's really unfulfilling, which is a shame because I like He, Sa and Gui Gui better than anyone on Korean S3. :(

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

facepalmolive posted:

I also dislike that Sa and He (both TV show hosts by trade) tend to dominate all of the episodes while everyone just kinda follows along.

I don't think Jinho ever got 'into' the story, and he was always just playing to win.

I like He because he's Jang Jin if Jang was more fun. It's obvious the guy is really smart and charismatic (and mostly the only hope of solving the murder). Sa is basically Chinese Dongmin and great because of it. I also find Gui annoying, but somehow really entertaining at the same time. You are right though that everyone else is various shades of 'meh'.

There were rare occasions where Jinho got really into things that were great episodes, like when he was the pervert photographer at the beauty pageant murder.

I skimmed through those recap episodes, but it wasn't murder recap, it looked like investigation recap or deleted scenes and stuff. And not in a language I understand.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Chinese Crime Scene can be so good and so bad at the exact same time.

S2 Ep 4: I kind of enjoy the off-the-wall fantasy murders like the mermaid one because the rules are set out at the beginning that there are fantasy rules in play. I also like hard science and forensics like this episode started out as. How did the killer lock the door from the wrong side? Let's find out! Oh look at those goofballs, claiming that guy is an 800 year old golem or something from the era of Genghis Khan. What a funny joke!

Oh he is an 800 year old golem or something. Aaaaand he's the murderer. What the gently caress, China.
I uh, kind of need a recap for this episode.

S2 Ep 5: Now here's a good episode. I'm a little unclear of motives due to poor translations, but then the forensics just perfectly nail someone to the wall at the 11th hour and you feel satisfied, even without a recap. That doesn't happen often enough.

The trailer for S2E06 looks like they're in space, and everyone's a robot or something. I wish the Korean version would on occasion get that crazy.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
By US standards the 'loving over' in season 2 is rather mild. It's still a good season overall, it's just the worst of the 4.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Propaganda Machine posted:

Disagree? The big moment was planned out, in stages, even. I'd have to dig into the trenches of true American trash to find many comparable examples.

Yelling dumb insults at people is pretty weak by comparison, you know?

I explained that poorly. What I mean is that in US reality shows, people do terrible things and are completely unrepentant. I can think of lots of examples like (Survivor) anything Jonny Fairplay did or the fake idol Randy got in Gabon, or (Amazing Race) any time the double U-turn is used and agreed upon that the 2nd U-turners waste it on the person who used the 1st U-turn. At least in The Genius people eventually feel terrible about the really devious things they do.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Chinese Crime Scene season 3 is starting really soon. There's a lot of teaser videos or something on youtube and what looks like episode zero. Nothing in english yet. Does anyone know how long that usually takes in this case?

Playlist to keep an eye on.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Was it Jinho or Sangmin who asked "I answered true to the previous statement" (or both, neither, someone else?) because that's just such an easy point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
For us 3D printer-havers you can make your own pieces here. I had issues printing in the recommended vertical orientation, and then found it prints fine just flat against a smooth bed. Only a little bit of filing needed to get them to fit nicely, and you are able to read out the next year code in the markings.