Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Teek posted:

Episode 2: If someone was going to be sacrificed to the Genius gods, happy it was her, as she wasn't really bringing much to the show. Glad Hong Chul stuck around. We still really haven't gotten a sense of him game-wise yet. First episode he got out early, this episode he being abandoned.

From the way he was running his mouth this whole episode, I'd say that's his big strength game-wise. Even if the others weren't all stacked against Jaekyung, Hongchul's mindgames did seem to throw her off her game. I could see him reaching Poong or Gura levels of craftiness before getting ousted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Sunggyu still seemed a little thick when it came to logic puzzles and booksmarts, but he made up for it on guile and alliance-making. It's part of what I really enjoy about this show; there is more than one kind of "genius" and to win you have to use them all. I'd say all of last season's top 4 were capable of that, Jinho just got there first.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Fast Luck posted:

Noh Hong Chul: The other contestants make their presence known, but for Doo Hee it's like he's there and then he's not. It's like he's not there, but then he's got his hands in something. So people were really surprised. I didn't really expect anything from him, but I now understand why he joined the cast.

Now I understand why I like Doohee so much, he plays these types of games the same way I play these types of games. Lay low while keeping a hand in events and let the big players wreck each other. Also look at him dance in that Sangmin clip! He's an adorable goofy nerd and if YellOw v BoxeR isn't the final match then I want Doohee to be there. :unsmith:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

GaussianCopula posted:

I was also wondering why there was no Jinho vs. Doohee, because either one having the other eliminated would mean they have a near 100% chance to get the hidden immunity idol.

At this point it makes more sense for them to work together. Doohee now has one more hint than Jinho, but it's all but guaranteed Jinho will get his hands on another. I wonder if the Immunity pin can be given away/traded for, that would make sharing information make a lot more sense.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Oof. That episode.

The show does make a decent case for Jiwon by showing how much he's supported Yooyoung in earlier rounds, but after the conga line of betrayals it just looked rotten. I have to imagine this is the last episode dominated by the broadcaster alliance; Sangmin's become far too powerful for everyone to believe him about Jinho now and the player pool is shrinking too much for it to come down to favoritism death matches.

Also as sad as I am about what happened to Doohee, how could anyone say this episode was against the spirit of the show? the subtitle for this season was Rule Breaker. Finding the edges of the rules and slipping through them was what they intended. Finding them and using them all at once to crush one dude probably wasn't, but the result was incredibly dramatic. I look forward to Jiwon and Yooyoung getting taken out, but I won't go and call anyone else bad people for it, especially Sangmin who has made it clear several times that he'll do anything for the prize money.

Also while double checking stuff, I noticed this same time last year was where Gura vs Jinho took place. I can imagine this will have even more of an impact than that going forward.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 15, 2014

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Zythrst posted:

I really think Junghyun is our best hope for defecting from that group as he's seems like a genuinely good person and didn't like what was going on despite it being his team doing it.

I want to say Hongchul is also likely to defect, although maybe less out of a sense of honor and more to keep things interesting. He does still treat things like a standard Korean variety show instead of the cutthroat american reality show it's starting to lean towards.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Zythrst posted:

You would go to the deahtmatch though unless I'm missing something since all your cards would be different except two?

Thats only true if you make the bomb monopoly. If for example Yohwan actually put his plan into action and traded with Jiwon, all the bomb holders would be eligible for elimination and he'd have his pick between them.

Man, Yohwan... If this had been a normal episode we'd all be talking about how bad he bungled things this episode.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Femur posted:

Perhaps season 1 was saved by destroying Minsoo and Gura's influence early; because letting alliances stay together naturally leads to this situation? I am not familiar with how it worked on other shows as this is the first reality competition that I've watched.

Generally what you would want to do when one alliance starts taking over like this is to build your own or undermine theirs, which can be easier than it sounds. This is why people here have been frustrated with the non-broadcasters for sniping each other out when it was clear a long-term alliance started forming within the broadcaster clique.

When "Whodunnit?" was making the rounds here for being a weirdly compelling trainwreck of a reality competition, part of what really fascinated me about it was this group of four players who formed an alliance very early and just used it to crush everyone else for the entirety of the show. Even though they were outnumbered for most of it, the other players were just so bad at basic reality show formula that the 4-player alliance dominated almost every episode.

Compared to that this season is nowhere near as one sided, and I think it'll get better before it gets worse.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

On one hand I'm super bummed at the outcome of this episode, but on the other it was freakin' incredible. Also if this leads to Jinho on Running Man like he said he wanted in that interview, I am all for it. :allears:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rarity posted:

It was so great seeing all the S1 people come back and school the poo poo out of the newbies. And godammit Yohwan, could you be any stupider?

I really am afraid Yohwan is gonna bungle his way into winning this whole thing. He hasn't had much chance to show it yet, but I'd bet he has the same deathmatch skills Jinho showed with obviously none of the other strengths.

As a side note, are there any other popular retired progamers that could step into season 3? Tossgirl maybe? Her, Jinho and Yohwan are the only ones I can remember from my blurry days of watching gom.tv at 5 in the morning.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I can't decide if James May would be secretly brilliant or a Junghyun at this.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 7, 2014

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think my biggest takeaway from this episode is Shindong should absolutely come back next season. He was a beast at negotiating and made deals with his bandmates that ensured that he walked away with 1,000,000 won no matter what. That's some Genius level play.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

That was like the exact opposite of last season; a sort of weak season with a SUPER TENSE finale. Amazing job on both sides. Sangmin! him and Jinho are like the twin gods of The Genius at this point. Powerful intuition and social maneuvering vs pure brainpower and lateral thinking. Those are easy lessons for anyone new to take with them, but really hard to put to practice.

With the second game, the first thing I thought of was "is your number a past year in the gregorian calendar?" People are super predictable when it comes to passwords and I figured one of the two would use a year that meant something to them. If you nail that one off the bat you've already got a huge advantage. It definitely feels like a game you could approach from a lot of different angles and I can't imagine it not coming back.

I watched all of S1 archived, how long was the gap between that and this one? I'm not gonna even wonder if this will have another season because how couldn't it at this point?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Superrodan posted:

Lastly, I read this thread as I caught up, and I was upset I couldn't respond at the time to all of the Eunkyul haters that came out of the woodworks the episode he was eliminated. You guys were up in arms about him targeting Jiwon "at random" but he explained his motivation, and lo and behold, he was completely and utterly correct. The broadcaster alliance destroyed otherwise great competitors for the next few matches, and because of that, one of the most seemingly clueless and useless guys was able to take out Jinho of all people... the same guy Eunkyul tried to target as the weak link.

Looking back the problem wasn't Eunkyul's motivation, although some people had that problem at the time. The problem was the way he went about it, which showed his hand to a lot of the very people he called out. There was no way Hongchul was going to choose Jiwon over the guy who pretty much told him "you're next." That, combined with Sangmin already being a better spy than Eunkyul in that same match, made the outcome pretty obvious.

Rarity posted:

I won't rest until every S1 contestant has won a season

Next season will be the season of Jungmoon, just you all wait. :allears:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Someone more immersed in korean pop culture could correct me here, but I like that a lot of these are unknowns/listed for their normal careers. There's something really cool about these normal people being celebrated for their skills.

They've got some good narratives going here too, like poker player vs poker dealer and Hweejong possibly redeeming himself.

I totally expect a swerve somewhere though, there's no way you keep Jinho and Sangmin away forever, even if not in a contestant capacity.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I wanna root for Hweejong because he seems genuine about redeeming himself and his actions from last time, but I got a gut feeling he's gonna just get knocked out in the 3rd or 4th round for being the returning player. Far enough not to be mean, early enough that the rest of the cast still basically decides the death matches.

The doctor is my darkhorse candidate this time. I like how much everything about him sticks out, and yet I bet he'll get overlooked quite a bit when it comes to eliminations. Could prove to bite the others in the rear end if he turns out to be good.

I... also might have had that haircut once.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Random Stranger posted:

Yep, though I hope they suspend it for a game designed to emphasize sneakiness. Watching the paranoia kick in when they're all told that they're now allowed to steal will be terrific.

This would be the best way to have it both ways. Any game where stealing would be an advantage without screwing the other player over entirely (like the Hongchul-Junghyun hint card example) could be given an obvious and stated exception. I dunno how many games would really fall under that so you might not see it happen this season anyway, but it would be a good twist for an episode.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

To me this means it's just a matter of time before the british copy the idea too like they do with all game shows in Europe. Then things get real fun.

Running With Spoons posted:

Of course, most of this doesn't hold if someone lied or didn't tell you his pick.

This is the real balancing factor for that game, or it would have been if Yongsuk wasn't so intimidating. Adding that to the bet/play system makes it a huge upgrade to the previous rock-paper-scissors challenge, which really was "who does the rest of the cast want around."

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

MoosetheMooche posted:

Edit2: One great improvement is that they did away with the extremely lame practice runs of each game.
Is that an improvement? With a practice game on this last one you'd see much smarter play happening because immediate game ending mistakes like over-talking a move would get exposed immediately. I don't necessarily like sitting through them but I like knowing they happened because it prevents things like how this main match ended.

It feels like everyone's being SUPER conservative with their backstabs early on. There was a tone set with Kyunghoon getting offed after being the only one willing to make a (albeit pointless) dirty move. That more than the games being bad, which I think some of you are hugely overselling, is what I think is screwing things up. It's actually a lot like Liar Game in that way; a bunch of games about being filthy liars are being subverted by brutal honesty. :v:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

My Secret Sangmin Hope is that there will be a game that pits all the remaining cast members vs just him and Jinho. 6-8 vs 2 with the winners team getting a small advantage to start and some sort of garnet stash or benefit they can use to tempt betrayals.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Now that it's boiled down quite a bit I'm super impressed with this cast. Dongmin and Hyunmin are killing it so far, but there's plenty of room for everyone else to take them out, and it feels like they could.

Running With Spoons posted:

Newest episode is out!

Deathmatch :
Jongbum was good at predicting Junghoon, but some of his decisions were pretty bad.
When he chose to bet instead of play with both of them at 3, and 3 to win : he literally had nothing to win at all by betting!
And then, he chooses to draw in the penultimate round to "keep his advantage", and in the last round he all-ins by betting on win, what's the point in drawing and "losing" chips if you're going to all-in in the last round anyway?

There's an easy answer to why: Jongbeum was playing like he was in one of his psychological thriller stories. The whole deathmatch felt like it was being shot like one, down to the "inner thoughts" cut in. It was amazing.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Absolutely. I expect Yoohyun to be Dongmin and Hyunmin's main obstacle going forward. His only problem last match was not seeing Dongmin and Hyunmin's alliance, but that's out in the open now.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I hope I wasn't the only one who thought the recent posts in the thread indicated the release of a new episode of Bandage Sniffer.

Nope, but that Kyunghoon story almost makes up for it. What a wonderful rear end in a top hat.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

My first thought was just associating each place with the number itself ("ah Reservoir dogs, my 5th favorite movie.") You don't need to remember the order because the cards aren't in order. In fact, remembering the order might work against you because your mind expects that card to be there next in sequence. Doing that in 30 seconds is crazy, but I think the black missions should be a little crazy. If you want to get off the chopping block you should be that good.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 17, 2014

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Kangra posted:

They need to just establish the rule (if not now, then for next season if there is one) that the DM loser distributes their garnets to anyone of their choosing. Something like this was bound to happen.

I like it as is, making the players manage that stuff adds more drama like Dongmin selfishly keeping Sujin's garnets or Ahyoung threatening to take her's to the grave if she's picked.

There is some imbalance to what we have right now (rich players having an extra layer of security could make a secured lead that much more) but if they're gonna tweak it I'd like to see some facet of that remain.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Superrodan posted:

I somewhat agree. Even if the other players set you up to lose I prefer people to just take it in good stride and try to bargain their way out as much as they can. If he comes back next week with an viable strategy in the game rather than just talking about revenge the entire time I might warm back up to him again. Unfortunately, he wasn't willing to bargain with the one thing I think he had, "Choose me and I will betray Hyunmin"

Normally I'd agree - if only we could all be MENTALITY KINGS - but Dongmin's psychological hammering was actually working. He pretty much forced the 5 man alliance to protect the two women, and inadvertently knocked out a fairly strong player in the process. If anything, I was disappointed Hyunmin wasn't trying to take advantage by playing good cop. He seemed like he was trying to ape Dongmin's pressure tactic and it just drove them away from what could have been a bargain out of the deathmatch.

For either of them, selling out the other power player would have worked short term but I think keeping a long term ally was the better play overall.

Zythrst posted:

Forget all that Dongmin owns. I hope he and Ahyoung get married and they move in together at Dongmin's house with 10 family members already living there and somebody makes a variety show about it.

also this.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think Dongmin poo poo the bed in that episode but still it's pretty absurd to describe a guy flirting with a lady as some sort of mental torture session.

I dunno, I think if you asked dealer nuna you might hear differently...

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Yeonseung's clearly been mulling this game over in his head for awhile now, it was real nice to see him get his here.

Xoidanor posted:

Really looking forward to Jinho and Sangmin running circles around everyone.

"WINNING SEASON 3 SHOULD BE YOUR ULTIMATE GOAL!" Preach, Sangmin, Preach!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

doomisland posted:

I'm fond of the book to the right of his head here
http://i.imgur.com/sHF8nGo.jpg

Hah, I noticed that as well. It made me really miss all the inexplicable americana they stuck on the walls last season.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Middle Race came out a lot better here than last time where it took a million years for each move to resolve and everyone worked together to screw 2 people, but it's still not amazing to watch. That said, the editing made it as painless as it could be and the play/counterplay stuff was neat. It's still no Scamming Horse Race, but what could be?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, once the paths are entangled, information flows in both directions. It's why Yeonjoo's strategy was a bad one; Yoohyun should have just walked over to her start position and worked from there. By trying to find his way through the middle he was working at a disadvantage of half the steps and was giving Yeonjoo information.

By the time Yeonjoo made it over to his side he had already made some progress moving up. If he switched sides with her she'd still have the information advantage, however slight. Couple this with being distracted (by a pretty same age lady if you wanna believe the edit,) and I'm willing to give the credit to Yeonjoo for smart play.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This might still be my favorite Sangmin moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJuVlRn89bw

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

hahahah that deathmatch :stare:

Just because Dongmin fell rear end-backwards into an amazing bluff doesn't mean it wasn't well played, that took a perfect poker face and a lot of guts to pull off. Yeonjoo was so so so close to figuring it out too...

I wonder how much longer Dongmin can survive like this though, he gets frustrated so easily and betrayals are gonna be coming fast and loose at this point, especially with how next week is looking. If he loses his cool there or in the finals, he's done.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

We can't start doing all-star seasons until we get at least one Running Man cast member drat it. What's Joong-Ki doing these days?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Titty God was obnoxious and bad, Hweejong was cocky, Ahyoung was hilarious and Yoohyun won. And they say you can't come home again...

I'm sad about MENTALITY KING... sigh but this really is the final that should be. Yeonseung for returning player next season?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Haha needs a space for "Jang Jin putting too much effort in acting his character"

I misread this and thought HaHa showed up on Crime Scene and got really excited for a minute.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I called this btw:

Maduo posted:

Next season will be the season of Jungmoon, just you all wait. :allears:

I think it's a bit early to have an all-star season, but the title makes it sound like this is the last time we'll see these people on The Genius. Season 5 could be a fresh start with no guests from previous seasons.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I swear, we all fell for it. Every last one of us were made fools of. I wish more people on the show were THAT good at hiding their skill.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Josh Lyman posted:

All I know is that Yeonseung + Junghyun vs everyone else is gonna be :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It's why Dongmin and Hyunmin made such an unstoppable team. This episode showed the divide between the extraordinary players and how they compliment each other real well.

Dongmin (and Sangmin): People first, strategy later.
Jinho (and Hyunmin): Strategy first, people later.

Jinho has some people skills and Sangmin can do some strategy, but Dongmin and Hyunmin are almost 100% one or the other. Sangmin destroying Hyunmin's numbers and Dongmin's alliance making almost immediately is the most beautiful thing that could have happened.

I'm so happy this show is back.