Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Meme Emulator posted:

Im not complaining, I love the show. I just always had the wierd idea that Korea straight up did not truck with Japanese poo poo.

It's not the weirdest idea, it's just a little outdated. Japanese cultural imports were banned in South Korea after World War II, but I think that was mostly done away with around the time of their shared World Cup, which was in 2002. There's a fair bit of cultural exporting going on between the two nations these days, although I think it's actually Korea that does most of the exporting.

I have no idea if Cowboy Bebop was ever popular in South Korea, though. The Genius uses a lot of songs from it, but that might just be because it has a great soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The flashforwards don't bother me, but I also don't think they add a whole lot most of the time. Although there are some notable exceptions, like (S1 Spoiler) the one in the zombie episode, where it went from Sangmin thinking he had everything solved to him running around, frantically begging for a cure. That was a pretty funny contrast that wouldn't have been as effective if it wasn't cut together like that.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
That was a pretty intense death match, but I'm a little sad that it ended up with only two people. Teasing a death match involving even more players was cool, so I hope it happens later on. It'd be interesting if there was a game where only one player could win, and everyone else goes to a giant death match together.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
South Korea isn't very large, no, and something like half (or more?) of the country's population live in or around Seoul. Once everyone has their schedule cleared for the duration of the show I don't think actually getting there is a big concern.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't get why Eunkyul was targeting people before the match (or at least why he'd admit it). What's the point? It's not fun and doesn't add to the game. So I'm pleased that he didn't survived the deathmatch. Yoonsun wins episode MVP for sniffing out the conspiracy, but Jinho win's Best Move by shuffling the decks and one-upping Sangmin.

No, trying to eliminate Jiwon was the best thing Eunkyul ever did, and it's a shame it failed. RIP Eunkyul, hero and martyr in the global war on Jiwon.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Donkay NOoo posted:

I didn't agree with Jinho in the latest episode (season 2 ep 4) because although betrayal is common and a part of the game, specifically wanting another player eliminated as a condition of your betrayal is way too personal and gives the betrayer too much power. You betray to save yourself, not to go on a power trip and demand a specific player get eliminated. I would've gone against him too at the end :)

I can understand why Jinho would be agitated. It would have been one thing to have gone against Eunkyul's request to target Jiwon, but it's completely different to actively sabotage and eliminate your own saboteur -- that's just kind of low, since support in the death match is the obvious baseline reward for a traitor. If that can't be expected of you, you're killing your chances of recruiting traitors going forward, and for no real reason.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Shakugan posted:

An issue is that that information saved him time, allowing him to snap a photo and then immediately begin forming those alliances, instead of of spending ages copying the info.. An even bigger problem is that the host reminding Hongchul about the camera on the phone is likely what inspired his perfect crime (which was absolutely hilarious btw, what is Junghyun even doing on this show, really?). Though it didn't end up influencing the game, what seems like innocent information supplied from the host had the potential to really affect the game in Hongchul's favour.

No, I don't think that helped Hongchul at all, since he's not even the one the dealer told about the phone. It was Yohwan, and it looks like it was when he was the last one standing there trying to write it all down. It certainly didn't help him much.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Ironic Twist posted:

Can't be that mean-spirited.

It's incredibly mean-spirited.

REAL SPOILERS for episode 6 follow, do not read if you don't want to know what happens in episode 6: The broadcasters decide to force the non-broadcasters off the show, so Jiwon and Yooyoung steal Doohae's ID card, which is required to play the main game. He's unable to even participate throughout the main match, which basically defeats the purpose of even having it. Before the death match, the broadcasters apologize and Sangmin gives Doohae a fake token of immortality which does nothing, because they haven't had enough fun loving with him yet. And then finally the death match is nothing but a popularity contest that he has no chance of winning.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Sangmin is very good at playing the main matches, he's also been absurdly lucky with the strength of the roles he's received in the role based games, which made him effectively untouchable in a couple of rounds even before the immortality token was taken into consideration. I don't think he's a plant, but if it turned out that he was, it also wouldn't be all that surprising. Either way, I want him to get eliminated next week, because it'd be funny for his incredible run of dominance to end with him finishing third again.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Yeah, regardless of how the final episode turns out, this season's been a tremendous disappointment when compared to the first. Aside from the games being too alliance friendly, Sangmin's run of dominance has just been incredibly boring compared to the much more competitive second half of season 1. I sort of feel like bringing two talented S1 players back was a mistake. Either there should have been more to further complicate things or none at all.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Eunkyul wasn't performing all that well in the matches, but he did a great job of recognizing the power of the broadcaster power bloc so early. Unfortunately, his attempt to derail it was poorly planned and executed. He should have explained his reasoning to the other players and worked to set up a countering faction before things got out of hand. Instead he just got himself martyred and made the balance of power favor the broadcasters even more.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Pretty sure Coster-Waldau is Danish, not Dutch. Not quite the same.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I'm glad we got to see Junseok doing stuff for once

he calculated the endgame as quickly as Hyunmin (including the exploitable flaw), then completely outclassed his so-called experienced opponent in the deathmatch.

I hope he sticks around.

Yeah, I don't know why people are so down on Junseok. His plan wasn't very good because he couldn't offer Kyunghoon immunity, but he also didn't have a whole lot to work with, and at least he made an attempt at grabbing a personal win and bringing down the super passive majority alliance. The match had a decent finish with Sangmin's betrayal, but the actual play itself was pretty boring because nearly the entire cast was just sitting around waiting for Hyunmin's pre-calculated shared victory to be handed to them instead of doing, you know, anything at all.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

NowonSA posted:

You're right, I need to see a Connect Four Deathmatch.

Rajon Rondo is going to dominate the American version of The Genius.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Many of the solo Sangmin interviews throughout the episode made it seem like he was out, so I wasn't too surprised when Kyunhoon stomped him in the death match. Still, having the three S2 reps go out in order like that is pretty funny. Also, this is the second week a previous champion has been embarrassed in a death match. Dongmin's the only one really living up to his title so far. I suspect Jinho might return to form a bit if he survives to the later, more individual matches, but that seems like a big if.

Anyway, Sangmin's downfall is a lesson about the dangers of hubris. Aside from getting himself in a mess by not paying attention at the end of the first round, he threw Jungmoon under the bus (for the second time this season!) when she wanted to save both of them, because he wanted to save himself and his reputation at the same time. I suspect it would have been a lot easier to smooth things over if he could claim he was trying to save Jungmoon too. Really, he had four different players -- Jungmoon, Kyunhoon, Dongmin, and Kyungran -- try to help him and he still managed to lose. Admittedly, he would have weaseled his way out of it if not for Junseok's baller play, but still... It's kind of telling that after all his talk of kingly cooperation, his one masterful move this game was to hide under a table. Well, he did figure out the box, but then he squandered that by entrusting it to Kyunhoon.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Proposition Joe posted:

What's with all you people saying all the season two contestants are gone? There's still one left!

The S2 top 3 were eliminated in order, leaving Jinho, who is obviously repping S1, and Yoonsun, who is a ghost that the other players cannot see or interact with.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Mob posted:

I always thought it was a women with a big crush on Jinho, but it could always be a guy with a big crush on Jinho of course

Plot twist: bumdidlyumptious is Jinho.

And also bandage face.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Piriwi posted:

Well that Jinho preview from last week didn't pan out, he was extremely useless this game. It almost seemed as if he wanted to go to a death match.

Jinho and Kyungran both came across as so hopeless this episode. I know they were never masters of game theory, but it was sad to see the two top place S1 players be so oblivious to the pair strategy and just generally have no handle on the game. Jinho ignoring Dongmin's advice was so strange, too, because it was such a pointless gesture -- it really did seem like he wanted to go to the death match for a moment there, but then he was seriously trying to save himself afterwards, so he just seems to be playing extremely carelessly.

This series is doing wonders to rehabilitate Junseok's image as a player, though. He's had a consistent impact in the matches and with Sangmin gone is the only non-S3 player who seems like he has any idea what he's doing.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
This was a pretty poor episode, with one of the worst main matches the show has had and then a lame death match to boot.

Jungmoon is just so inept, the only time she ever seems to contribute anything to the matches is when she's sabotaging her team. She's the only player left I won't be sad to see eliminated, so losing a decent player like Yooyhun over her is a real shame.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I was already disliking Junseok but once he was seriously considering not honoring the arrangement I really started to hate him.

That's really silly. She was actively betraying him the entire game and doing an incredibly poor job of concealing it. He'd have had every right to keep his garnet at that point. If anything, Junseok's soft spot for Jungmoon seems like a major weakness of his.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I'd like to see Kyunghoon or Junseok win, just because everyone else is already either a champion or a runner-up.

I don't have high hopes for Kyungran. I think the other players are going to see her as the easiest death match opponent, and that's a bad position to be in.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Nondevor posted:

I hope it's a Hyunmin-Dongmin deathmatch next episode. Dongmin even said he can't win against him in Twelve Janggi, so it's perfect!

If this actually happens, I think it's going to be a much closer match than people expect. One of Dongmin's strengths is that he's very proactive when it comes to preparing for the games, whereas Hyunmin comes across as much more complacent -- going into the penultimate episode with only two possible opponents and one possible death match, Dongmin is going to be ready to play as competitive a game of Twelve Janggi as he possibly can.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

pokeyman posted:

Am I the only one who :rolleyes: at Dongmin claiming to have chosen his opponent?

I mean it's possible, but I didn't quite believe him when he claimed he was 100% in control.

I don't know why you would doubt him -- his final bet obviously only makes sense if what he says is true and he's surrendering the game to Kyunghoon.

He might not be 100% certain that the high bid was 100,000, but it's the safest bet and the one he'd go with if he was trying to tie Kyunghoon and give Hyunmin the win, and he definitely deliberately picked a lower number in order to make sure Hyunmin lost.

Sio fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 10, 2015

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Fast Luck posted:

I thought he was actually the first to call out that alliance and take a shot at it, when he leaked information on his team and made his one request was that they put Jiwon into the death match? At the time some of the viewers in the thread were kind of like what's that guy's deal, and then later on realized what had been going on.

Yes. Eunkyul wasn't very good at the games, and he didn't execute his move very well, but he still gets points for recognizing the alliance and attempting to do something about it.

Here lies Eunkyul
At least he tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Tunicate posted:

Who would be good celebrity contestants for the genius america edition?

The only name I can think of offhand would be Weird Al.

Take advantage of the English-fluent Korean contestants and cast Ahyoung, Yoohyun, and Kyunghoon as having traveled to America to challenge America's greatest b/c/d-list celebrities to a game of Korea's national sport, The Genius.