Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PAL-18
Jan 21, 2007

Wanna see my batteries?
Ep.7: Lack of cooperation drove this game. From what we know optimal play only required 5 garnets to be spent. We learned that even/odd die + a special die can make all six/all five and that twisting the normal die makes a 3 and 4 die. Multiple people had figured out the various halves of this solution, and with slight collaboration would have figured it out. Who knows, maybe with sufficient collaboration there's a solution without buying at all! Particularly, if Jinho had not abandoned Hongchul and Jiwon, they would have figured this out. This seems like a poorly designed game since there's no competition for resources to prevent everyone from winning.

The death match game seems ok. Optimal play is both more difficult to achieve and less rewarding to implement compared to Indian poker, so random chance plays a much larger role. Having short chip stacks exacerbates the problem. I'm hoping to see this one in the final along with laser chess.

Sucks to see Jinho go out, but at least it was random instead of overwhelming collusion forcing him out. Nobody else this season has played the games with the same flourish that we've seen him capable of. Here's hoping someone else can step up.

Edit: After looking at all the dice, there's a little luck involved with getting the right special die to match your even/odd die. The 345 only goes with the odd die and the 456 only goes with the even. But I don't think that makes the game better.

PAL-18 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PAL-18
Jan 21, 2007

Wanna see my batteries?

GraPar posted:

Oh man, amazing episode. That's got to be one of the best deathmatches ever, right? Cannot remember the last time I was that goddamn tense watching TV. Second tie was hilarious. Obviously devastated that Jinho is out and that the most annoying player is still in, but on the plus side it does open the game up massively. I think it was kind of dumb by Jinho to call Jiwon in the first place though - obviously he was in a seemingly good position, but it was also obvious that he must have a lovely card + that trying to rush the game was massively advantageous to Jiwon. Going to be so weird next week watching an episode of The Genius that doesn't have Jinho in it!

Actual game was really good and well-designed this week, funny how well the order of the people rolling worked out. Love that even though he has the immunity idol (or whatever), Sangmin was still playing all-out.

Haha, Korean peeps be mad about this episode

Except the deathmatch was terrible. There's no way you fold when your opponent has the worst possible card. Especially since you can see a 2 on your opponent's head, making the chance you also have a 2 even lower. Then the elimination is a coin flip. How thrilling. Sparing that, it was destined to suck since the chip stacks were so low. Opening the game up just means that everyone left is equally bad at games. The actual game was poorly designed too. Aside from the reasons I've already stated, it gave the garnet-rich a strategy for all but assuring flawless victory and then even reclaiming their spent garnets.

PAL-18 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 20, 2014

PAL-18
Jan 21, 2007

Wanna see my batteries?
Yeah, as expected the level of play in the main match was low without Jinho. When Yohwan "spazzed out" Hongchul was in first place. I thought his plan was to take the rest of the cubes, get last, and choose Sangmin for the deathmatch. Being able to pass with garnets means its almost impossible to make Sangmin last, so no matter what it's going to be not Sangmin vs not Sangmin in the deathmath. This would have been hilarious since he did the same in the practice match, but it would have made for a dull hour of tv. Instead we get virtually zero strategizing, building up to Juhghyun ending the game by taking all of the remaining cubes with an easily calculable 0% chance of not coming in last.

The main match was just as bad. Good on Junghyun for playing correctly but it only highlighted how hopeless the game is for the player who goes first.