Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The OP is right in that this is probably the best game show I've seen and probably the best 'reality' tv show since Running Man. The games themselves are actually incredibly quite balanced and relatively low budget so the draw really is in the people and the way they make strategic decisions. It really is Game Theory: The TV Show

The first episode was great and justice was served when the arrogant lecturer with the 170+ IQ, the most 'powerful' card and the strongest alliance lost to a lawyer who focused on building stronger bonds and trust with her allies instead of playing the game for her own win.

Having watched other Korean shows, it's interesting to see how the cast are acting. Experienced media savy members like Hong Chul treats it like another variety/comedy show and does his best to explain things and provide an enjoyable experience to the invisible viewer while the progamers like Jin Ho and Yo Hwan treat it like a professional competition and immediately set out to strategise and win.

I was expecting Noh Hong Chul or Jin Ho to get chosen to get kicked off the show, since they look like the biggest threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

CeeJee posted:

As much as I want it to be Yoonsun's more cooperative attitude that won her the victory I think it was mostly luck in having a 10 card in her first four and the crucial winning card being with one of her team members.

I agree that there was a large component of luck but Yoonsun's cooperative attitude won her the victory. Hwee Jong got nominated even though Da Hye and Ji Won were on his team with Ji Won outright saying that it was because he was too aggressive.

I have to watch it again but doesn't one of his own team members lie to him and give him a lovely card?

It was especially satisfying to see him lose since, as a mathematician, he should have figured out that there weren't enough prey for the four predators to survive and that he needed to eat or remove two of the predators instead of the prey.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Davincie posted:

I don't think Hong Chul will make it to the end, he's too flashy and noticable. Last time players like him (the old guy who ran the mob esque group with Sangmin in it) started getting eliminated around halfway

I don't think Hong Chul will win but I think he'll stay around to the end since he seems to be a much bigger draw than the other players. While I don't think the show is scripted, I think the cast and the production crew are well aware of how the industry works and taking out one of the most anticipated players seems like a big waste of his talent.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

redreader posted:

I just broke down and read that. Yeah that's super hosed up. What about point 3 in the OP?

Going to jump on this and the controversy is because this episode broke point three. There's parts of Korean culture that are really hosed up. Bullying is pretty common in the workplace and can be quite open and there's a high suicide rate as well (I think it's like the most common form of death for under 40s or something).

The episode touched a raw nerve among it's viewers because most Korean reality/variety shows are primarily focused on the viewers entertainment and provide comedic relief (instead of say human drama) as well as a sort of alternate reality where everybody is nice to each other and it's all fun and games after the backstabbing is done. It's why people like Hong Chul constantly state out loud how they're feeling or explain what he's doing for the audience. Hong Chul will cheat in the game without a worry but he'll never outright break social conventions or bully someone openly without making it seem like a joke.

Had he got the card, he probably would have traded it back to Doo Hee for garnets or future favours just to keep the show more interesting and friendly.

Instead, we watched a bunch of big name celebrities band together and poo poo on a little guy. There's nothing really that Doo Hee, a non celebrity, could have done to force them to return his card. To top it off, you have incidents like Jiwon befriending and calling him outside the show just so he could backstab him in the game or Sangmin giving him a fake token just to gently caress with him when he's already down. Reality shows like the Genius is one of the only avenues where beginners can break into the entertainment industry so having veterans gently caress with a newcomer beyond the boundaries of the game is pretty mean.

I don't think Doo Hee was ever going to win and he did take the loss much harder than the others probably would have. While this episode would have been okay to a western audience, it broke a lot of Korean/Asian social and cultural conventions which is why there is such a big backlash.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

It really makes me kind of annoyed at the producers for not stepping in. We know they watch the game unfold and we've seen them radio into one of the dealer's earpieces before. So they saw his ID get stolen, and then see he can't play, and then an hour later he still can't play and they're watching all this unravel and how do they not say okay, return the ID card at some point? That just sucked.

And that's not even the part that I think was particularly "nasty" by Jiwon and Yooyoung. At that point I was thinking, Really, this is the super controversial episode? But it's something that the producers should have stopped just the same.

The nasty stuff came later. By the way I think Doohee had a chance in that game, it wasn't decided if he'd just not trusted Jiwon, but yeah.

I think the producers were just at a loss as to what to do since didn't all the original producers from Season 1 head off to do something else? The Genius doesn't seem to be scripted like a variety show so the producers might have been worried that publicaly interfering in the game could backfire on them. One of the producers should have probably just paused the game, gave an interview to Doo Hee and ask him stuff like 'how does it feel to be betrayed and have your ID stolen by someone you trust (wink wink)' or interview Ji Won and ask 'what are you going to trade Doo Hee for his ID so he can play the game'.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I think the best tactic against a celebrity is to publicly shame them. If Dohee had singled them out for angry one on one confrontations on camera he could either have made them feel guilty or made them anxious about the perception of their public persona. He'd have got some of them to pressure Jiwon into giving him back his ID.

I don't know if that was an option though. Doo Hee asked, they said no and there's nothing he could do about it given the difference in power and status. He's a very minor celebrity up against popular celebrities and publicly shaming them could backfire especially since some Korean fans are loving crazy. The last thing you'd want to do is publicly embarrass them and have their fan club retaliate from creating petitions to force celebrities to commit suicide to mailing a bunch of envelopes with razor blades attached so the celebrity would cut themselves when they opened the letters to rushing on stage at a guy's birthday celebration to try to throw acid at him.

Hell, most of the Korean entertainment industry is loving dark and filled with horror stories like the CEOs of entertainment companies pimping out their underaged talent to advertisers, plying them with alcohol and drugs before raping them or forcing them to rape each other while they watched.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

not joseph stalin posted:

So this is truly a great show. I'm about to watch the 5:5 episode... I managed to avoid spoilers, but I did see that its apparently amazing. What I'm curious about is, what is the cultural impact of the show? Is it popular in Korea? Are people's reputations really on the line, or are they playing to a relatively small audience?

It's on cable at like 11 at night but still pretty popular all things considered.

I think the big attraction initially was getting together a group of people that were A to D list celebrities in their respective field interact together. Your normal Korean variety show consists of a bunch of celebrities/comedians playing a 'character' and the games are done primarily to entertain the audience (such as the cast/crew members being happy to lose games or let others win or catch up if it made for a more entertaining show) whereas the people on this show are (mostly) themselves and are pretty much in it to win it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

JakeP posted:

So when will they reveal the twist that brings Jinho back into the game? I hope the beginning of next week :yayclod:

I want to see Jinho just casually stroll in through the door in the next episode and take his place with no explanation about how he came back into the game. He doesn't get to win anything but he can still exist to gently caress people over.

Maduo posted:

On one hand I'm super bummed at the outcome of this episode, but on the other it was freakin' incredible. Also if this leads to Jinho on Running Man like he said he wanted in that interview, I am all for it. :allears:

Jinho would get slaughtered on Running Man though. Infinity Challenge on the other hand :getin:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

This is not a spoiler, and we're several days past the episode availability. Can we please switch over to Netflix show spoiler rules, or the ep-by-ep equivalent where we don't spoiler things that are available? It's just getting pointless.

It's not a spoiler but my comment was about the person who got out in the latest episode.

I thought the general rule of thumb for a niche show like the Genius is that we spoiler everything, even the season 1 stuff. Both the General Korean Thread and the Running Man Thread also follow the same rules.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

redreader posted:

His personality is extremely fake. He doesn't seem that bad, though.

He is just playing a character for the sole purpose of entertaining the audience while explaining the games to them :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

YES! I was really rooting for Sangmin!

I definitely thought that was a far better final match than last season. Fun and tense right up to the end. Tho I did predict that while Yohwan knew the numbers for the second game he didn't have enough to make them the right order

I think I'd like to see Hweejong back for Season 2, It'd be interesting to see him around for more than one game.

Yohwan looked like he knew he was going to lose but I don't think there was much he could have done. I was definitely rooting for Sangmin since he really has been on top of his game all season

The finale was great and I think the right person but I think season 1 was better than season 2. Looking back, I think this season would have been a lot more interesting if players didn't return and there was a bigger variety of contestants.