Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I had no idea there was a TVIV thread for this! I watched it over a month ago, but S2 and specifically the hidden idol definitely seemed like a letdown compared to S1, Sangmin holding effective immunity for as long as he did ended up being super lame, especially since it took so much camera time away from new people like Yooyoung. Jinho going out to a virtual coinflip was pretty disappointing too. Here's hoping for a S3 with an all new cast (unless they bring like Hongchul back, that would be cool)

I could also live with Kyungran coming back and destroying a ton of people, she's like the best.

E:

Rarity posted:

The constant use of Moby ~ Extreme Ways every time a major twist happens is one of my favourite things about the show :allears:

I use it as a ringtone now because of S1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I really like Sujin going by the first episode, high hopes for her this season. Kyunhoon is a chumpo, doctor guy has good reaction faces and I look forward to seeing more of them.

Fast Luck posted:

The women who went to the death match both kind of deserved it. Juri for telling a group she was going to change her tag to join them, and then randomly bumping into some other people and joining them instead... that's not a betrayal, but it's odd social play. And Ahyoung for being way too afraid to play the game and just telling that traitor dude she'd trust him all day. The traitor guy made such a short-sighted move, by the way, to win that game, as several people have pointed out. Hm, also, I get the feeling Ahyoung was taking ridiculous amounts of time in that death match, did anyone catch if there was any time limit?

Juri's lie about not thinking there were any other melons was hilarious. If you're not making a move to betray, swapping into a bigger group seems pretty ridiculous.

On that note, why did none of the watermelon people swap to other fruits (grapes, melons) that were chugging along steadily at $5 after Dongmin swapped strawberry to watermelon? I felt like the swaps were underutilized, especially since Juri's seemed kinda pointless.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Ah, I forgot about those secrets because they didn't really do anything besides give the strawberry people a smokescreen to boost up Dongmin. Yeah, it wouldn't have been worth it to back out on the watermelon agreement to swap.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

NowonSA posted:

I just showed my cousin some of the highlights of the Genius S1 (the Open/Pass episode, the Kong bean episode (he wanted to see the next episode after Open/Pass), and the 5:5 episode), and he really dug it. One hyung recruited to the cause!

Stuff he liked, for those curious:

-The incredibly attractive Korean women.
-Kyunran (probably messing up the spelling here, sorry) getting mad at everyone during the 5:5 game
-Jinho's Open Pass moment (This was particularly great, he flipped out nicely during the reveal).
-Jinho being awesome during 5:5, also Sangmin's in the moment questions to a lesser extent.
-Recognizing random music themes here and there

He definitely has mad respect for Jinho, in short. I've trained him well to be a Jinho fanboy like me.

To be fair, Kyungran got hosed over harder by non-players in the 5:5 game in a way that like, only the people in S2 who played the second variation of the animals/office workers game did (since the S1 people who returned like immediately helped out Sangmin).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Elite posted:

Yeah I thought so too. Kyungran didn't come up with tricks as clever as Jinho (or even Sangmin) but she still asked a greater number of correct questions than anyone else. It's just she got screwed over by people answering questions about their own name or own birthday wrongly or inconsistently . :psyduck:

What killed me about that episode was that Kyungran handled the pre-5:5 announcement time/first round way better than Jinho/Sangmin and the people screwing up basic information about herself lost the lead she built up there - her questions weren't as dead simple as what people were wearing and stuff, but they were easy enough that competent people could answer them no problem.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I really hope the same game turns up later scamming horse race style where people have to control like three pieces chosen by snake draft or something, maybe at like 4 people left with a twelfth piece that has no powers (still probably more desirable than Jump imo). This time it basically seemed like a social game check more than an actual competition.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

He's the worst and I'm amazed at how perfectly the teams were split between the people I like and the people who, ehhhhhhh.

Yoohyun's cool, he's right behind Dongmin and about tied with Sujin as personal favorites. I don't mind Hyunmin so far, it's just playing the game to aim for competitors early - the answer for that's exactly what Dongmin did when they called him in for the meeting with the whole "I've got nothing to offer you, but I'm going to win and I'll be gunning for you if you put me up there" stuff.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I don't know why people would single out Yeonjoo when Junghoon's done nothing strategically except for the week he did nothing strategically and immediately outed himself as a criminal. At least Yeonjoo's thrown a few people off. Also re: Junghoon the deathmatch win was at least 80% executing the card counting method Yoohyun showed him - not that he shouldn't have won, he outplayed Hweejong, but he had way better assistance

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If Yeonseung doesn't want to be part of Dongmin's team, he should wait until Dongmin's vulnerable to strike. Making an enemy who's been way better at the main match games and has a lot of people happily working with him is just going to mean Yeonseung's collaboratively shut down even more. He could have gotten a bunch of garnets and been on the right side of a majority alliance for once and he turned it down for his own ego pretty much. Okay showing for Yoohyun, if anyone left can compete against Dongmin/Hyunmin I think it'll be him

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Tonfa posted:

So far Dongmin and Hyunmin seem like mirror world Sangmin and Jinho to me. The fiercely loyal social player and the ruthlessly calculating game theory master. It owns and I hope they are the finals (we never got a proper Jinho vs Sangmin showdown :qq:)

In hindsight a Sangmin/Jinho death match would have been a huge silver lining to S2 - I think S1's top 3 were all super deserving and we got to see the big Kyungran/Sangmin and Jinho/Kyungran showdowns. Sangmin beating Jinho directly and making it so all three of them were 1-1 against the other two would be awesome, although Sangmin beating Jinho indirectly S2 kinda fills the same function.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I really like that Dongmin was protecting his team. The bomb weight thing to me seemed kind of lame from a production standpoint of trying too hard to "break" the game but the fact that Dongmin was the only one to realize it makes me think maybe it was a nice idea afterall.

Hyunmin figured it out too.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Theoretically, I think the death match could have worked out really interestingly - if one of the five was leaking information to the two on the outside, I think it could have stalled to 11 turns forcing someone to take 3 bombs before someone got three constellations, and when the leak becomes apparent then it's a whole new game. Really, if there was any arrangement other than two people who are viewed as huge threats compared to the rest of the field, I don't think it's so cut and dry.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

qbert posted:

Dongmin is a goddamn master. People are literally throwing themselves at the Death Match now just to not give him the satisfaction, drat. He couldn't get eliminated even if he begged for it.

I think Yoohyun's playing the situation perfectly - he gets a fairly easy win and now has enough black garnets for a black mission, eliminates someone who was always eager to work with Dongmin, and breaking up the plan brought a wedge between Hyunmin/Dongmin re: using black garnets. I think that's a way better outcome than having Dongmin come in last and get a shot at a black mission.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Preview spoiler, but this guy was a psychic. I'm really hyped for next week based on the preview.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I take back previous praise of Yoohyun, agreeing not to take the black mission with Hyunmin was straight-up hubris. Good for Yeonjoo, she killed it in the death match.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

Kyungrun would have kicked the poo poo out of the season 3 cast.

See: the office game in S2 where like all the non-Sangmin people were terrified of her and she cruised to an easy win. Kyungran owns.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I turned into Yeonjoo from last week when Yeonseung was going through his betting black and white strategy thinking "why in the world wouldn't he just do straight minmaxing with how folds work" and continued to try and figure out what I was missing until the match started and it instantly became clear that there was no reason whatsoever. Pumped for the final, I'm hoping Dongmin takes it and the chess-type game with the 4x4 grid that's name I forget is one of the matches.

NeuroticLich posted:

Yeonseung should be the returning player next season. Deserves it the most out of anyone eliminated this season.

I disagree, I think Hweejong-type returning players who are going to flame out early but add a lot of flavor to early episodes are the way to go. I'd kinda like to see Titty God crash and burn again, he and Hweejong both have really glaring personality flaws that repeatedly flare up on them in a way that's really satisfying to watch.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

Dongmin and Ahyoung get married. Dongmin has to bring a guest. He chooses anybody other than Ahyoung. Ahyoung gets invited on anyway. Hilarity ensues. Also divorce.

Dongmin brings Dealer nuna as a guest, obviously.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I was literally talking with a friend who also loves the show at a bar trivia thing a few weeks ago about how to cast an All-Star season, and we had 10/13 of the cast they got - we had Yuram, Yeonjoo, and a split decision on Yooyoung/Hongchul for the last spot instead of Jungmoon/Junseok/Titty God. I hope somehow the latter two can both get eliminated in the first challenge.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Eastwood posted:

Jinho dressed as Detective Conan was great

I'm super behind but can I please get a screencap of this

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Sneak preview of Titty God's first deathmatch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

That was everything I was hoping from in a premiere, and instead of echoing what everyone else has said I want to give a shout-out to the editing of Kyunghoon telling his group he had the convict to his alliance and the immediate cut from Yoonsun's disappointed face to Yoonsun in the middle of the majority alliance talking about the joint win. I hope the clown brigade of Kyunghoon/Yohwan/Junseok are all out pretty soon, I'd love to see where this season would go if that happens.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

dude789 posted:

I didn't know how much I missed seeing Kyungran terrifying all the male contestants by calling them out in the openings until I watched the new episode.

Yeah, she's amazing, the conversation at the beginning seemed like something straight out of the corporate challenge S2 thing where everyone was terrified of her as a guest.

For this season in general, I'm hoping for a win by Kyungran > Sangmin repeat > Hyunmin > Dongmin/Jinho repeats > everyone else.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Subyng posted:

And only 3 women for season 4.

But drat yoonsun is fiiine

Yeonjoo and Yooyoung would both be deserving for a comeback imo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

susan posted:

Adam Savage, Alton Brown, Andy Richter, Brian Williams, Ke$ha...

Six people in the same vein as this, the main cast of Friends, Titty God with a translator. Boom, western Genius.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

^^ Pit is hilarious, especially with the Bear/Bull flips.

Reisen posted:

I had dinner tonight with a woman who works at a company that makes a lot of reality shows and she scouts for new shows. I told her all about The Genius and sent her a link, she's excited to check it out.

Just got home, looking forward to episode 2!

I work for a media company that has a TV channel which specializes in foreign-produced shows and I considered pitching going after The Genius to them, but I got nervous that any licensing attention might get bumdidlyumptious shut down and ended up just sitting on it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Don't skip season 2, it's not as good as 1 or 3 but it's still The Genius, every episode's worth watching. It's not like season 2's American Horror Story: Coven or some poo poo.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If they have to use this many virtual players for betting rock paper scissors, how the hell is Quattro going to work when it comes up?

Subyng posted:

Most of my thoughts on the episode of been expressed already, but one thing that annoyed me about this episode was how Jungmoon did absolutely nothing to try to save herself. She just accepted going to the deathmatch without even arguing for herself. Dongmin continues to kind of be an rear end in a top hat towards women. Glad Junseok stepped in to save her.

I think that was actually a pretty shrewd move - by keeping in line with the more achievable alliance goal Jungmoon kept the numbers on her side - if she was pushing for them to save her then that might open the door for Sangmin's offer to Kyungran or something similar. If she and Sangmin are both on the outside of the main alliance goal, he's got more garnets than her to buy a potential opening.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Clocks posted:

Yeah, it's surprising how crazy good these subs are, too. My boyfriend wanted me to watch some bollywood movie and literally every sub we found (and there were like, 4 different ones) were just... completely crap quality. My appreciation for bumdi went up like tenfold after that.

If you can, see if you can find subs by Charmeleon for any Bollywood stuff - there aren't any of the little added touches that make Bumdidlyumptious the best (like explaining the Eunkyul catchphrase or that the characters for Titty God could be rearranged into "scissors" from the last episode) for things that don't quite translate, but he always does excellent work.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

You guys forgot Tank! from Cowboy Bebop re: licensing stuff on the last page.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Pro Genius wikipedia tips:

- If it's after Saturday and bumdidlyumptious hasn't subbed an episode yet that week, don't look at the season 4 elimination table
- That's the only tip

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

Ok thread it's time for me to reveal that I'm actually the Pi King around here. :smug:

I just really liked this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDMBtQjS1bQ and knew all 200 digits that it recites. It started as a few digits but then suddenly I couldn't stop myself and suddenly I memorized the entire song in a week. :shrug:

I can go as far as the Dragon Boy Suede verse because of this vOv

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Dias posted:

By the way, girls are Yoohyun's kryptonite. Yeonjoo, Jungmoon to an extent and Kyungran. Didn't notice that til now.

Worth noting: he totally clowned on Ahyoung

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

That's one of the things I like about Kyungran and one of her strengths. She's super loyal and everyone wants to believe her. It's also what's killing her this season, because all it takes is one person in an alliance to sink you. Smaller alliances have been a smart play through this season, and it'll be interesting to see if she adjusts. She's no ones target and could get into the top 3 pretty easily.

This next week's going to be a big crucible moment for Kyungran - she and Jungmoon are tied for last in garnet count going into a garnet match, so she's going to be in the hot seat.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm really interested to see what happens if Dongmin and Hyunmin both make it a few more weeks - they're way closer than any other pairs left and anyone who decides to work with them is setting themselves up to be picked for a death match.

Not an Owl posted:

Kyungran isn't really someone who comes up with massive plans to completely subvert the game like Sangmin or Dongmin. She is instead an excellent member of any alliance, as she often helps strategize without monopolizing the discussion. She also has a solid track-record of not betraying her team, making her a rare target and a valuable member of an alliance.

Look at how quickly Sangmin/Dongmin have snapped into an alliance with Kyungran in pretty much any team game - I'd say with the exception of last week's loyalists game, she's playing her game really well.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

Tittydog was super good this episode but I gotta say that his reasoning for taking revenge on Junseok made zero sense lol

What made that perfect was him rubberbanding back and giving Junseok the total solution to the game right afterwards

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda want to watch Crime Scene just to see how bad this Henry guy is

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm kinda bummed because I was hoping that this week's deathmatch would be the grand finals, but Kyungran really beefed it going for the inside straight in the 20s in the game.

Re: the preview, who were the guests besides the two obvious ones? I think I saw Jeongbum or whatever the cartoonist guy from S3 but I'm not really confident in that

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

Sangmin, Cartoonist dude from season 1, Doohee (hacker) from season 2, Ahyoung and I guess the other cartoonist from season 3?

Wow, I was sleepy as hell if I couldn't recognize Poong, he's a treasure. Outside of Jongbum I'm excited to see all of them next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm really curious what happens if the last deathmatch on the table is 12 Janggi and Hyunmin doesn't go out next episode. I don't know exactly how that'd affect anything, but that's a combo like Jungmoon/Gyul! Hap! that I think everyone in the competition was afraid of