Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im watching season 1 now, whats with the overly dramatic Genius Game intro with the black cards? Feels almost life theyre riffing on the Liar Game manga.

e: Hoo boy, I should have watched a little longer, the million dollar diamond is a direct ref. I guess the creators liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im up to episode six on the first series, and the music selection is totally absurd. I was always under the impression that due to regional conflict and nationalism that Korea pretty much refused to import Japanese shows but theyve played the Cowboy Bebop opening several times during recaps, and on this ep they just started playing the "poo poo goes down" song from Evangelion during a particularly important scene.

Also theyre leaning on the Liar Game Manga so hard its pretty much a crutch. The zombie game was pretty much identical to Liar Games quarantine game, except the players couldnt check thier status at any time.

Im not complaining, I love the show. I just always had the wierd idea that Korea straight up did not truck with Japanese poo poo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Wow, I just finished season 1 and Im pretty hype to catch up with the current season and chat with yall.

Season 1 chat: I was secretly hoping for Jinho to come in second the whole time, even though I liked him, just for all the jokes that could be made. Also, a heartly lmao at Sunggyu growing a backbone around episode 8-9 and dominating the game for a while after being used as an errand boy all game. I grew a lot of respect for him after that.

Was anyone else expecting the race model during the 5:5 game to be a man? The show was making such a deal about talking about how sexy she was, I thought someone was going to ask a gender question and get hosed over because the race model was actually a guy. I guess I was just expecting them to pull a Maury.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 13, 2014

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Blazing through the show now and just finished S2E2, is Dohye the only person on the show who hasnt gotten double eyelid surgery? Honestly its super hard to tell all the other women in the show apart because of rampant south korean plastic surgery.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Brigadier Sockface posted:

What? What is this and how can you tell??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_blepharoplasty

Fathers getting plastic surgery for thier daughters as a graduation present is a Thing in south korea. Since Dohye is a Go player and not a TV personality like all the other women its not shocking she hasnt been cut. I guess Minsoo was an auctioneer but she still has standards of beauty to contest with.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 20, 2014

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Air Julio posted:

Finally caught up all the way through. Good stuff. Why is Sangmin so desperate for money? What's his problem?

Something like 3 billion won disappeared from a failed restaurant he owned. Season 2s first episode had a fake newspaper graphic with the phrase "A Failed Business Is Not A Scam" which made me laugh, and told me pretty much everything I needed to know about the situation.

I just caught up last week, when do the subtitles usually get finished? Is it pretty consistent week to week or do you never know when theyre going to drop?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive been having fun looking up vids of Young Sangmin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydf7Udb77jw

:stare: at the short haired dancer.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sacro posted:

First episode was great, and I was happy to see the first eliminated player was who it was, as he gave me an arrogant rear end in a top hat vibe. Though that wasn't even entirely his fault unless he was insisting that they get his IQ correct as if 3 points really needed a correction and fawning over for his introduction. The jump cuts to his twitching face might have had a lot to do with it too. The only better way to dunk that guy would have been the last trader giving him the 0. :black101:

Funny post from the first page now that everyones come around on Hweejong

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The biggest problem with Genius early on is that I have no idea who these people are. I watch with a big group and its sort of funny how we transition from calling people by thier profession to their name as the season progresses. "Comedian" slowly turns into "Hongchul", etc

That sort of kills the drama in the first couple of deathmatches though, I had no real feelings towards Ahyoung or Juri. I ended up rooting for Ahyoung because she looked insane in that pencil skirt.

Kangra posted:

I understand that the likely motivation is to prevent people picking a DM opponent based solely on whoever has the most garnets (which was specifically pointed out by the players at least once, maybe more). And also to introduce the Black Garnet as the game's theme. I think a better solution would be to redistribute the losing player's garnets [with the extra going to those with the fewest].

What kind of commie talk is this? The extras that episode should go to the best performing players.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 6, 2014

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Asiina posted:

I was rooting for Ahyoung cause she had multiple pages of calculations and Juri was just like "hurry up".

I might not have been paying perfect attention because of all the hooting and hollering when I was watching but I thought it was the other way around? I remember thinking Ahyoung was the one who was complaining about hurrying up and thought it was hilarious she blundered into a win

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tonfa posted:

I'm still so disappointed that the dealer ended up showing no mathematical ability.

Shes no dealer-noona thats for sure. They should bring Sunggyu back again just to flirt with her.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fast Luck posted:

The women who went to the death match both kind of deserved it. Juri for telling a group she was going to change her tag to join them, and then randomly bumping into some other people and joining them instead... that's not a betrayal, but it's odd social play. And Ahyoung for being way too afraid to play the game and just telling that traitor dude she'd trust him all day. The traitor guy made such a short-sighted move, by the way, to win that game, as several people have pointed out. Hm, also, I get the feeling Ahyoung was taking ridiculous amounts of time in that death match, did anyone catch if there was any time limit?

I think she was trying to game the game a little bit, i was confused as to why the hell she was writing her numbers so wierd as if she was trying to intentionally trick the camera, but someone here pointed out that there was no privacy screen and it could have been a level of misdirection towards her opponent.

If thats true at least she was doing SOMETHING, Juri just went full steam ahead and drove herself over a cliff for no reason? I didnt quite understand either of thier plays.

Power of Pecota posted:

On that note, why did none of the watermelon people swap to other fruits (grapes, melons) that were chugging along steadily at $5 after Dongmin swapped strawberry to watermelon? I felt like the swaps were underutilized, especially since Juri's seemed kinda pointless.

You can only Secret or Change, not both. And they all blew thier Secrets in rounds 2 and 3.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Did they play a wierd violin version of the Lupin the 3rd theme during this ep?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BSam posted:

Posting from my phone here but if you check out the general Korean tv thread I posted links to the first two episodes of the new Korean version of Liars Game.

They haven't got up to any Genius style games yet but it's sure to be coming soon. Just thought you guys might want a heads up. I've watched the first season of the Japanese one and so far I prefer the Korean. It's more set up like an actual tv reality show, plus the characters aren't as cartoonish.

I always liked the comic but good god the Japanese drama is bad. I might have to dip into this version just out of curiosity though.

I realize that the main character is supposed to be foolishly naive but they went off the deep end and made her a complete helpless bimbo. Every character was cartoonishly exaggerated that way but I felt like Nao got it the worst.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

My secret hope is that Sangmin shows up as a rival to the bandage man and offers spoiling goals in the main match that are counter to the winning goals but the prize is black garnets

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I just watched the first two eps of Korean Liar Game and its pretty deece, Korean Nao is a cutie and not horribly over acted like Japanese Nao. I cant get over Korean Akiyama though, his haircut is insane. Its the ugliest thing Ive ever seen.

Subyng posted:

All the women this season were pretty bad, unfortunately.

Honestly?? Honestly?? Kyungran is probably the only woman whos played well in all three seasons of the Genius. She was a wonderful player and I just watched the 5:5 game again last week and I cannot believe the producers allowed those slips of the rules to get by. She should have won 8 to 7 and the second to last episode should have been a jinho/sangmin deathmatch (Jinho still would have won because it was the conveyer game which sangmin sucked at, so history would have been unchanged since the finals match would be the same)

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 27, 2014

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Varam posted:

The S2 top 3 were eliminated in order, leaving Jinho, who is obviously repping S1, and Yoonsun, who is a ghost that the other players cannot see or interact with.

If only they replaced her with Ahyoung :allears:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Chainsawdomy posted:

Hoping to see either a Jinho OG victory or a Kyunghoon win for the narrative.

Not only do I want Kyunghoon to win, but I want him to defeat Jinho and Dongmin in deathmatchs so that he can get a kingslayer title, hes already killed Sangmin.

Ideally he would get Quattro against Dongmin since I dont see Kyunghoon pulling out a win against that man in any other game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ahyoung is pretty much perfect. I never really understood the culture around idols but if they were more like her maybe Id get it

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Propaganda Machine posted:

She's not an idol, though? I thought she was a super elite educated sports broadcaster.

I meant if more idols were like her. I can understand the concept behind how people could travel 200 miles just for the chance to see a glimpse of someone a little better now.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Clocks posted:

(definitely not like Sangmin, where people also seem to trust him fairly unconditionally which allows him to betray the gently caress out of them)

Im watching season 2 over again with a friend and its amazing how this just keeps happening over and over again. Week after week he keeps pulling more and more brazen poo poo and everyone keeps trusting him

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Thats two out of 3 kings personally defeated. You can do it! Only Dongmin stands in your way!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Zythrst posted:

Jinho will be fine, he's incredibly likable , very up for doing whatever a given show is about(which many idol types aren't in some of these variety shows), and is really the only pro gamer who does variety regularly which gives him an audience shows want. I mean think about it if it weren't for my third point none of us may have ever seen The Genius, spooky.

Jinhos also got a personality trait/gimmick with his mispronounciation which is a nice bonus and keeps you visible

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Capsaicin posted:

Since it's so similar, where is the best place to watch Liar Game?

The J-Drama is awful. Dont bother. The K-Drama is better but I dont really like asian dramas to start with and couldnt get into it. The original manga is good until the steal a chair game ends, then you can stop reading. It gets lovely after that.

Theres a really good scene in the J-drama where they explain how they win the minority game though, it uses a chessboard in a really evocative way to explain the strategy

quote:

They could film and show all three games, and say the winner only gets 100% of the prize if they win all 3 matches, otherwise the loser gets 10% or something. At least then we'd get to see all 3 games they've prepared

They always put the shittiest game last. You didnt REALLY want to watch another black and white game, did you?

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 16, 2015

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Corn Thongs posted:

I tried to watch the Korean drama but they made the main girl such a doofus that I couldn't take it.

Well thats her character, but in the original comic her personal growth arc is stretched out for soooooooooooooooo long that she doesnt become competent and make her own moves until like 160 chapters in. Theres no way youd see her grow in a 20something episode show since it would barely get through the first couple games

e: Theres also a really funny page where the villain is sitting down reading Mein Kamph and hes like "I have a lot of respect for Hitler, but he didnt actualize his dreams and gave up in the end"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Subyng posted:

Anyone know what number jangi is based off of?

Stratego, but they threw a few wrenches in with the plus or minus battles. Stratego is straight up bigger number wins always

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Does anyone have any idea which song is the "Blasta" song from Season 4? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj2o5Kt_rrl6T3MTTUk9spTjGmabaEWFy

e: Geez, maybe its the one named Blasta

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 30, 2015

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I have no doubt it was genuine, what I meant was is having an openly sexist hiring policy something that can get the producers in trouble in South Korea? Kyunghoon said it pretty matter-of-factly, but I wasn't sure if that was because its normalized or because Kyunghoon's just pretty matter-of-fact about stuff.

The entire entertainment industry of South Korea is run by organized crime and failed idols mostly end up becoming prostitutes until the company that hired them has used them up and thrown them out. They probably dont care about appearing sexist

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

EmmyOk posted:

Sangmin: If Sangmin wasn't an absolute buachaill I would definitely hate him. So many times he has hosed over people I liked a lot or done something very sly but he's quite charismatic so it's hard to actually dislike him. Whenever he is warning people about Jinho I want to yell at them "look at who is talking for Christ's sake!".

I love Sangmin for this reason. I dont know how he gets people to keep listening to him, but they do, every time.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

they should have brought back hongchul. he's so insane.

Hongchul got a DUI and got kicked off Infinity Challenge so I assume his career is dead in the water.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I CANNOT believe the player who was eliminated. Completely blown away by such a cowardly move. The show even called him out for it at the very end

I cant believe Insun was being thrown around as elimination candidate either, but I think thats just because I fell in love with her. The gameleader for Democracy village was fun as hell too, and I hope we see more of her, her little snipes during the game were hilarious.

Aside from Asol and the Tyrant village leader none of the men really left much of an impression on me.

Arcanen posted:

I'm a bit disappointed at the meta-game design:

Madong has an utterly game breaking Nash equilibrium because the number of keys of Rebellion plus the leader equals the number of people who go into the finals. Form a minority alliance of 3, one becomes leader, divide all winnings equally among the 3. No one ever has any incentive to betray because no one else outside the minority alliance of 3 can ever become the leader, profits are split equally, getting to the final round is guaranteed because there are 3 spots, and all the winnings get to the final round for the eventual winner because the minority alliance of 3 only ever rewards itself.

I think thats on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

EmmyOk posted:

Even in The Genius strong women like Kyungran tended to look for guys to team up with even though they are rad by themselves.

Well in The Genius Kyungran was the only woman who was also a good player so the sample size is a little small. Most of them just wander to the closest guy moaning "Opppaaaaaaa". Which is fine when its Ahyoung and Dongmin but its annoying with everyone else :P