Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Exercu posted:

because yeah, they ARE basically variations on the Sangmin and Jinho dynamic. Hyunmin has system mastery but maybe not so much people mastery, and Dongmin is basically Sangmin but without the chronic backstabbing disorder

Um, how dare you compare ~my oppa ~ to one of the least likeable jerks?

One of them is ~honorable~, never loses sight of his principles, and only plays on his own terms, even if he knows he might lose. The other is a win-at-all-costs smug rear end in a top hat. Hyunmin is classically smart in that he'd definitely score well on IQ tests; Jinho probably would not.

Also I see Jinho's shtick as less system mastery, and more bend-the-rules, think-outside-the-box cheese. Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47JlT5-UQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

e: I'm reading the thread reactions to Season Three as I go and the hate for Hyunmin is bizarre imo, that player owns.

To be fair, the hate is just me, I guess. He reminds me of That Annoying Kid in high school. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to this, because That Annoying Kid was me and I'm still ashamed of it.

Also, thread favorite Genius alums Dongmin and Jinho appearing as guests in some show called Problematic Men. May contain possible Genius spoilers as this was filmed way after. Also ft. Hyunmoo and Tyler (that one American on Abnormal Summit who supposedly speaks very good Korean) as regulars.

Episode starts out kind of slow, but Genius dudes showing Genius shenanigans in part 2 makes up for it.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm starting Crime Scene Season 2 and holy poo poo I'm in love with this cast after just the introductory episode. I expected to be all DONGMIN of course but I'm also goin' HANI

They've really ramped things up for Season 2, I'm excited.

I just wish Sangmin was involved I need more Sangmin in my life.

Having finished Crime Scene S2, I couldn't really recommend S1. The S2 cast is fantastic. Jang Jin (the director dude) started out kinda weak, but by the end he ended up being my favorite contestant on the show. Him and the sassy Park chick. The cast eventually really gets into the ~roleplay~, in a good, highly entertaining way. The guests, too.

As as I am over Jinho, I hate to admit it, but he's probably one of the weaker characters on the show.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

To be fair, Kyungran was being awfully suspiciously dodgy in the way she answered him when he asked for her throw. And TittyGod I think knew that Kyungran wanted to help Sangmin and failed to do so earlier.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Jungmoon played poorly, but it was still a bad game.

If you're in the majority, you can win by literally doing nothing, even if you're dumb as a brick. Yoohyun drew suspicion by Thinking Too Hard and trying to play the game. The game was set up for Rebels to fail.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

CeeJee posted:

Sangmin who is great at reading people and shrewdly asked 'are you a human or a person ?'

Wasn't that Changyeop who came up with that question, though? Hilariously enough, to take out his one and only ally Jungmoon?

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Jang Jin was my favorite, but I think he's probably too busy with his directorly duties to do a second season. He got into his roles, had some great quips, and made some pretty memorable deductions.

Edit: Kim Jihoon was my favorite of the guests; dude was good and I hope he becomes a regular. Jiyoon and Jinho goes without saying.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at Apr 3, 2017 around 19:40

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

No Dongmin either? I guess I'm happy with the three I know, but man. I liked always being right in season 2 with the mantra of "If in doubt, it's Dongmin". Because it always was.

Dongmin's resting face is his guilty face.

No Yellow, but they got 3 out of 4 on my wishlist, plus, the premiere's on my birthday. I'm pretty stoked.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Despite my initial reservations from Episode 0, I'm really digging this new cast. They have some witty in-character banter, and none of them seem brain-dead stupid like some of the Season 1 guests were. If they keep this up, I think it will be my favorite season so far.

Well, count me in as one who guessed the culprit wrong. Also it wasn't clear to me how the cast unanimously decided on the culprit -- I thought it was Yang, where his 'I just looked up poisons on the internet; I didn't actually do it' seemed awfully weak to me.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

Is there seriously no explanation recap for season 2 of Chinese Crime Scene? It's just been "the killer is...this person!" and then show's over, everyone go home. It's really unfulfilling, which is a shame because I like He, Sa and Gui Gui better than anyone on Korean S3.

Huh, well I'm the exact opposite I suppose. I love everyone in Season 3, and even my least favorite cast members are pretty high in my book. And I find the Chinese Crime Scene cast tacky and annoying -- especially Sa and Gui. I also dislike that Sa and He (both TV show hosts by trade) tend to dominate all of the episodes while everyone just kinda follows along.

I was also never a fan of thread favorite Hani from season 2 -- I also found her kinda annoying and useless (in terms of her outbursts; she was fine investigation-wise). Same with Dongmin -- I found his antics unfunny and equally irritating. And as much as I'm obligated to be a Starcraft/Brood War and therefore Jinho fan, I also felt he was one of the weaker cast members for this type of show -- I don't think he ever got 'into' the story, and he was always just playing to win. To contrast this, I feel like an example of Jinho's foil is Kim in S3E03 ('gameplay so bad it threw everyone off') -- felt like he was trying less to win, and more to stay in-character as someone shady as gently caress, which I personally found hilarious and entertaining to watch.

Maybe I just have weird opinions.

qbert posted:

I think what happened is they actually split the "explanation" portion off into its own separate show. You'll see snippets during the end credits of each episode that show like full production values on the filmed explanation stuff, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere online.

I don't think there is. I think the explanation skit is just an explanation skit -- given how shameless they are at plugging everything and anything on that show, if there were another explanation show, they'd definitely say something to the effect of 'please watch the full story <here>'. And they definitely don't do that (I understand Chinese (and yes, the subtitles can get 'alternate storyline' levels of bad) and can confirm they're not missing subtitles for their plugs or anything.)

Fake edit: Oh he originally asked about Chinese Crime Scene season 2, which I hadn't watched. The Crime Scene playlist has some 'Crime Scene Rewind' episodes, which seem to be for Season 2 only ('第二季' is 'season 2'). Didn't really watch any of it thoroughly but it seems half-story, half-behind-the-scenes. Looks like no subtitles, sadly.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah, not calling out Jinho for being an anti-fun tryhard or anything; the dude clearly enjoys figuring out games and game systems and that's just the type of person he is. I just also happened to think that the cast members getting in-character made the show more fun to watch.

I enjoyed the 'endorphins' episode, etc., but it always felt he'd act in-character as a part of his trolling and humor rather than, I dunno, someone fully embracing his character. Felt like he was a contestant first who happened to act in-character sometimes, rather than a role-player that happened to compete in a game show. Again, I still love the dude and don't blame him for it; what I'm saying is he'd probably be more successful on a show that was actually about the competition than Crime Scene turned out to be.

GuavaMoment posted:

I like He because he's Jang Jin if Jang was more fun.

Sorry, yeah I liked He, too, in Chinese Crime Scene. Probably my favorite cast member out of a generally weak cast. He had a sense of humor and was very competent, all without being obnoxious. I don't dislike him personally; I just thought He and Sa's dominant personalities were bad for the show, which is more a fail in direction/editing more than anything else. The two were so dominant -- even when someone else was playing the detective -- that when they were the murderers, they just had rest of the contestants wrapped around their fingers.

Korean Crime Scene did a much better job giving everyone their time in the limelight.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Last episode continued the trend of hilarity (Jang Jin was enjoying the gently caress out of his role and milking it for what it's worth) with a dash of didn't-see-that-coming ('hahaha his lovely art looks like Kim Il-Sung... oh.').

As a side note, how can Kim be so good, yet so bad?

qbert posted:

Jinho coming back to Crime Scene starting ep 8 for the rest of the season.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

I didn't watch Society Game S1 because it seemed a little too far on the Survivor scale to my tastes, but maybe I should.

However I was a big fan of Lee Junseok from The Genius. Dude seemed smart, if not a bit of a dick (but in a clever and entertaining kind of way, so I can hardly blame him). I will admit that he has an extremely punchable face, though.

I'm fully expecting Dongmin to sniff out the alphas of the group and team up with them, and for Junseok to poo poo in their Cheerios. I might be more interested in Season 2 just because there are some familiar faces to root for.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

was season 1 and 2 of chinese crime scene worth watching? i haven't finished watching korean show season 3 yet.

I find the cast/general show direction to be kinda crass and obnoxious, but that's just personal preference. You might like their brand of humor, I dunno.

The fantasy/sci-fi settings are cool, though. Often these fantasy worlds play by their own rules, so many times the episodes are part crime scene, part world building.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

I only saw two episodes of season 2, but the editing is doing a lot of carrying the show. So I'd say... kinda interesting premise, not-that-interesting actual gameplay, great editing to maybe keep enough suspense to keep you watching. Maybe.

I hadn't watched any episodes beyond that.

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Also wouldn't mind a running update on who your favorite players are and/or who you think are most likely to take it all.

Definitely shifted a lot for me as the season went on. Some players who I initially disliked or counted out ended up growing on me. By the end, in retrospect, I liked pretty much the entire cast on that show (or maybe I just forgot about the less remarkable ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 28, 2009

Oh I forgot about Jungmoon. I take that back about liking almost everyone; gently caress Jungmoon.

Like, I wanted to root for her because she's a fellow gal engineer nerd like me (except 100x cuter), but she had negative amounts of street smarts to make up for her book smarts. And since she's so bad at the social element, she just bats her eyelashes at people and hope they take pity on her rather than offer any compelling reason to trust or work with her, which makes her even more grating. It also doesn't help that her poor social game completely tanked the viewer experience for the game she's in, so that episode kinda sucked.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

at this point (on ep 8) I really like Enunji and think she has potential to win it. I loved her move on horse race game (only giving partial clue while everyone was giving full clues)I am curious to see what Kong Game is!

For the first couple episodes I thought Gura was destined to win it as it seemed he ran the show but like previous poster said, you eventually realize they gave him that power by essentially making him the king maker. Once people distanced from him, it was clear he was not going to get much further.

I am only on episode 8 but what are your guys favorite games?

For me my favorites so far

Zombies
Burglar
Horse Race

But I have loved every game so far. How many seasons are there? Is this show still going on?

Kong game is pretty boring, actually -- don't get your hopes up like I did. (Not much of a spoiler but just in case you really want to wait to find out the Kong game for yourself) I think Kong means 'bean' in Korean and they just use beans as a prop. The producers just wanted another chance to take a jab at resident nerd dork Jinho.

As for my favorite games? It's been so long, but as someone said the 5-5 game towards the end was a standout for me, and you'll likely see why when you get there. I don't remember the specifics on how the auction game played out, but I remember liking that one too as there was a bit of cleverness to it.

I think the games in season 1 were weaker overall than later games from a design perspective, but the show was also overall most charming because people were still figuring out what playing the games really mean.

The later seasons have some really great games in terms of design where yeah, you can backstab and betray, but you have to do so smartly, rather than just last-minute backstabbing for the sake of backstabbing. There are more layers to consider if you choose to play spoilsport, if you will. However, by season 4 everyone's also become such shrewd and well-tuned players as well. On the one hand, you get some pretty badass 'oh poo poo' moments of betrayal and counter-betrayal (the fantastic episode editing very much helped), but the fact that everyone's so sharp at the games also lessens the charm somewhat, if that makes any sense?

Incidentally, I thought the horse race game was a pretty good one, and I liked that Eunji tried to shake things up by giving misleading information and I wished more people did that. Like, you can stir poo poo up, but it's also pretty brainy and difficult to do so, because it's completely on you to keep track of (a) the actual game state, (b) the game state everyone else thinks is happening, and (c) how you can leverage a vs. b to your advantage while keeping your actions and story consistent with b.