Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I just caught up with the episodes and then there's already a new one out

lol at people saying there was producer interference favoring Sangmin. Dude is clearly a beast.

I hope Yohwan is eliminated next week because it'd look pretty bad if he actually won The Genius considering how goofy he was at pretty much every game.

I'm totally ok with Mr. Magoo winning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Sangmin played to his strength as always. The Genius games always had social meta-game aspects and Sangmin always excelled at that, if he wins I feel it's totally deserved.

Now about Yohwan... Well, he was quite good at this death match at least! I hope Sangmin did his homework for some of these death match games.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I kinda wanted the mathematician to stay around for a few more episodes because his arrogance was so over the top, it was hilarious.

gently caress Jiwon.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

lol at Yohwan playing the evil guy

It was so cheesy I couldn't help but laugh.

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at Feb 24, 2014 around 08:22

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Yohwan was kind of amazing in the poker game but then he yohwaned through the other 2 games. He definitely should've asked for a do-over, 8 isn't high enough to start with or at least having variety in color.

Sagmin!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

https://twitter.com/sangmind3232/st...058766901391360
https://twitter.com/sangmind3232/st...8365824/photo/1

I don't know what this is about but I like to think this is Sangmin replacing the bandage dude as the new host of The Genius season 3.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I liked when he threw those dice.

And I kinda wish he played something like poker to see what kind of bullshit he'd pull to pass as bluffing.

All in all, despite looking like a total douche Hongchul was mostly an ok guy imo and I agree with Asiina's points. The broadcasters alliance was a thing that was on before he explicitly stated it. I guess it was a consequence of what Sangmin said, that most people approached the second season in a more overly competitive light.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Oh I didn't catch that, that does sound bad.

But to be fair a lot of the games favored alliances more than individual play so I don't think having the alliance on or not would've changed the fact that the biggest and more organized group would win the games.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

It's actually mentioned at the taxi program with Gura. At about 32:15 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1d0mh9

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Maybe it's a long-term strategy so when he gets to be the criminal no one will take his suspicious poo poo seriously.

I think we know these people better now so I wonder if it'll be less chaotic to guess the criminal in the next episodes.

Goddamn driver.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Henry starts the episode kinda down about how the internet criticized his antics.

He's still being a dumbass, and I think the dude's even worse than before.

If this first episode's clues were all we got, it seems to me that Henry is most likely the criminal. But the graffiti on the wall sounds like an important clue that the show is holding so idk. Maybe that's what will give Jinho a clear motive.

Crime Scene isn't great like The Genius but it's still a fun show.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I don't hate Henry but geez he sure could've tried a little harder than just using his time drawing Jinho.

"I believe in you" --Henry

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Hiding the missing button was a pretty nifty move, goddamn Jinho.

Teek posted:

Crime Scene episode 4 killer reveal: Did spoilers leak for this episode ahead of time? The audience seemed so heavily against Jinho the whole time in their ongoing polls. While a lot of the evidence did really point to him, it didn't seem any more than usual.

Yeah, it seems to be leaking. I think they were voting for the right culprit pretty soon into the second episode. I guess I'll try to not look at those voting status from now on to not spoil myself.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Violent Video Games are the cause of violent and empathy-less youth today

She didn't say that, she just said that violent pop culture such as games and movies influence the methods, not necessarily the killing.

But sure, never say anything bad about your precious hobby.

(I really don't want to start a derail with this. One person can tell me I'm wrong and let's leave at this.)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

dungtongue posted:

It's probably because Jinho is a bad liar. The things he was saying and his attitude were so different from the first case that it was kind of obvious since the first part. The actual cast members don't get to see his interviews so they wouldn't notice.

Yeah, I agree that Jinho felt off since the first episode but his motive was so subtle compared to everyone being openly hostile with the victim. I don't think there was anything that showed the character to be awfully conscious of his social status. I was still leaning towards Henry till the end.

There was a shitton of circumstantial evidence though that people missed like the button and the dented flute. They looked so much at the flute, how could they've missed that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I like how Hyunmoo just can't avoid sounding suspicious as heck in every episode.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Soylentbits posted:

Man I'm bad at this show.

Show of hands about the murderer.
Who changed their mind on the murderer based on her crying? Just me?

Same. 3 cases and I got all of them wrong.

I never changed my mind though, I was just sure it was the employee after a certain point.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Jinho was so hilariously bad this episode, goddamn.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

Same. I haven't even started on the series yet. I was going to watch it with a friend but she wanted to binge through The Genius first. I will still hover over every black bar and ogle at the spoilers like an idiot though. I don't care if you put them in plain sight. I have no idea what you're talking about, actually.
Man, and I thought so hard if you were being sarcastic or not on that post and ended up figuring I was doing good with the spoilertags

Zythrst posted:

I don't see how. He figured out who the killer was, and managed to completely sway Yoonji and nearly convince Sunggyu. It's not his fault that the Lawyer and Hyunmoo were being dense about the lifer having no opportunity. I mean seriously how was he even supposed to know where the victim would be?

I don't think they were being dense, Jinho had no good arguments against Jiyoon other than the strong motive. But then again he had a pretty good motive too. He was grasping hard at straws with stuff like the bible being the weapon.

But the worst (hilarious) part is how much he was spazzing around, it was worse than the driver in the first case.

Anyway this was a really fun episode.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

And I continue my streak of getting the wrong person every episode.

I thought it would be pretty silly way for a doctor to kill his own wife. Oh maaaaaaaan.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

It was kinda weird how the chicken delivery guy was so clean this week, he had absolutely nothing.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Cute n Popular posted:

I still wasn't sure if it was Jinho or not because it didn't make a lot of sense that a doctor would overlook that some sort of autopsy would've been performed revealing the drugs.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

After I watched the episode it dawned on me that if the daughter noticed the symptoms on the phone, the husband as a doctor would surely notice them too and know there was something wrong.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I wasn't really feeling Park as the culprit until near the end when she exploded and told everyone to vote on her. It was impossible to not think of a certain precedent!

But the possibility of being Hyunmoo never seriously crossed my mind, during the entire episode he framed it as a crime that was made to look like it was Jinho (if it wasn't him). And it totally got me.

Zythrst posted:

Ah Hyunmoo, he may be a bad detective, but he is an awesome criminal.

His long term strategy of acting phony in every episode finally paid off!

Actually I think his briefing was exceptionally great, so maybe that should've looked a bit more suspicious...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I kinda want him to be back just because his arrogance was hilarious to watch.

Alternatively if he actually comes back as a nicer dude it'd be a cool thing too.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Kang from Crime Scene will be on The Genius 3

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

What's really surprising about watching Abnormal Summit is that I find myself agreeing with Enes (or at least the gist of his opinion) quite often. And I don't consider myself a conservative person...

Anyway, it's the most entertaining "just people talking" korean show that I've watched from what bumdidlyump translated. I'd say it doesn't really "get better", I thought it was interesting ever since the introductions so if that didn't hook you then it's probably not for you. The second episode was funnier but otoh the guest from the first episode was the best one yet.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Zythrst posted:

I like Enes because while he holds conservative opinions he understands "because its always been that way" isn't a legitimate way to think about things. Plus I like his proverb for every situation.

Yeah, he's generally pretty good at presenting a different perspective to the topic to consider, and he frames it well enough that... Suddenly I'm agreeing with some hella old-fashioned ideas. And oh don't get me started on the proverbs...

Now the chinese guy is just kind of an asshat.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I guess Jinho is out unless they make it 14 players this time.

And Kang will definitely be the next Mr Magoo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

whoa

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I'm completely lost about the first problem.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I figured it was either 9 or 6 for the first question.

For the second, and I'll put it in spoilers since I'm more sure of this one:

Assuming an equal circle, both halves need to add up to be equal in size. More likely, it's a pie chart since the numbers don't seem to relate to the size of the segments. Either way, the total numbers on the top half much equal the total on the bottom, or it doesn't make sense as a circle. The top half totals 206. The two given numbers at the bottom total 121. Therefore, 121 + X = 206. Basic algebra means that 206 - 121 = X, so X is 85. .

Interesting that they're open ended without a "right" answer though, I didn't expect that.

I thought about 85 but I don't like it very much because I couldn't find any more things that matched this reasoning, like 49 + 64 != 61 + 85.

The font size on the numbers vary for each one, I don't think that's accidental but I couldn't reason anything about it.

Also I kinda expect some of those number problems being related to how they're written in korean. Those witty number puzzles always cheat like that

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

One thing that I like about The Genius is how the people with "smart specs" (the mathematician, the girl from MENSA) turn out to be bad players meanwhile you have Jinho clearly being smarter than everyone with his fast thinking skills and Sangmin being uh... Sangmin. It shows how hard judging intelligence can be.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

"I saw everyone's specs and fortunately no one seemed like they'd be really good. "

lol I'll be really surprised if this guy doesn't get eliminated early.

The chinese doctor is my favorite because he's so odd compared to the other participants. also because I used to have the same haircut

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I guess this'll change the nature of the game quite a lot, there'll be no hot targets to send to the death match like before. Imagine sending some strong participant like Jinho to the death match and if he survives he's awarded some significant advantage. It'll make the problem worse!

Hat Thoughts posted:

You're objectively wrong if you're not supporting the insanely smug guy from Season 2

He's my second favorite, of course. I was kinda thinking that he'd be one of the hot targets early on in the show and thus had not a great chance of lucking out of so many death matches but now I really don't know...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Asiina posted:

Food Chain was cutting it close with the tackling to put stickers on, so I imagine they won't do anything physical again.

I'm glad that theft isn't allowed anymore. As hilarious as it was in the first episode of season 1, after season 2 I don't blame them for putting it in.

It was also funny when Hongchul did it to execute that overly complicated misdirection by taking a picture of Mr Magoo's hint card.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppru-LIxa90

Fruit shop sounds particularly game theory-like.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I was disappointed that there wasn't some kind of betrayers league at the first round. "Because someone will betray eventually in this game so let's be the first ones to do it! "

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I like Hweejong and all but now that the first episode is over I hope he gets over his deep fear of getting eliminated.

unless this is part of his tactics idk

Superrodan posted:

I like his TV Personality but it really bugs me that he is apparently a scumbag in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kang_Yong-suk

Yeah, I don't know what Zythrst is talking about though, he seemed like a nice dude in Crime Scene.

By the way, Dongmin is in the first episode of Abnormal Summit so if anyone wants to see more of him for some reason... He seems like an ok guy, I'm not sure why people were automatically assuming he was sleezy like Hongchul. Must be the comedian aura... Or maybe it's something about Abnormal Summit, Gura from the first season of The Genius was in one episode and he sounded like a pretty different guy.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Hweejong confirmed to be

the Hulk.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Asiina posted:

Yongsuk is all "of course I'll win if the game is about persuation" immediately followed by him threatening everyone. I'm surprised and disappointed anyone told him anything.

I thought it was hilarious and they lost an opportunity to frame Kan as a true criminal leader.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

I think Hweejong was bullseye when he said that Kyunghoon was being overly competitive (and thus kind of pathetic because of it).

sharktamer posted:

The same poo poo happened with Gura, he treated everyone like poo poo and then everyone cried when he got kicked off.

To be fair Gura was an interesting scheming bastard. He was a moody rear end only in the last episode he was in for whatever reason.

Even if it was a little uncomfortable given his reputation, I thought Kang made a good move with his "you're playing this game wrong, if I survive I'll get you" threats. He wasn't even asking for total loyalty, he just wanted them to be neutral (or in other words, not actively gently caress him). It's not much different than how Kyunghoon made Ahyoung uncomfortable the whole episode to be on his side really, Kang was just a heck more efficient about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)

Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

When the main match was being explained, my roommate and I got really excited, but the outcome was a little too decisive. The death match also wasn't played too well and included an incredibly lucky move. All in all, a little disappointed in how things turned out.

I don't think it was luck, it seemed to me that it was pretty clear that Kang wrote 11 on the board. And even if it wasn't all that clear, it fit his pattern.

«5 »