Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, I'm curious if that idea to run a forum version of this in PbP or the like ever got off the ground? It's definitely doable, because I have played a thing on another forum that was basically just this without the Garnet system. With S2 finished, it seems like it'd be timed pretty well if someone was to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Only 10 minutes in, but I love that Henry guy already. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

I was impressed with Henry and uh...the nurse's (I'll remember the names eventually!) English in this episode too.

Henry's actually Canadian and English is his first language (Korean's second or third) so that one makes sense.

Dunno about Yoonji though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

Henry is taking the variety show approach and it's frustrating for the people that are serious about solving the mystery

Eh, I dunno. I love trying to seriously solve the mystery as much as the next guy, but I love Henry's antics too. It doesn't have to be all serious all the time or nonstop wacky variety hour like the two are mutually exclusive after all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

I think it was another idol and Henry wasn't there?

Yeah, Lee Minhyuk's replacing Henry by the looks of things. Other new guy was billed in the preview as a new player but I dunno who he is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I got it right too, albeit only just. When she started crying I very nearly considered the employee lady instead and couldn't make up my mind between them for the longest time. The glut of evidence for the secretary beforehand was what kept me from completely disregarding her, though. The hairpin that was found by Hyunmoo near the end, and the venn diagram sealed it, yeah.

Surprised so many people voted for Jinho at the end though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Man, just watched the penultimate case and it made me so sad that last week's was easy and kinda bland. Between this one and the prison one, there was some great moments and it was actually kinda tricky to figure out. Even had Hyunmoo this time straight up discounted until the very end since he seemed like the requisite role that was completely unrelated. Can't wait for next week; the finale looks amazing. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Man, a case that seems like it's going to be amazing on its own right AND it's longer than a hour and a half? Tomorrow is going to be fantastic. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah the Agent suddenly became a late contender, I was surprised nobody voted for her.

Yeah, I expected at least one person to vote for Jiyoon at that point. Guess Jinho was just baller enough to convince everyone else of the right answer. Minhyuk being the first guest to pick the criminal, and when it actually really mattered no less, was cool though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Holy poo poo, Kang Yongseuk's a participant. Looking forward to see how he handles this after the Crime Scene stuff! :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Was I imagining things or did I previously see a Genius 3 promo vid that had Jinho inside?

There was a S3 promo with Jinho and a fighting game style countdown overlaid. Guess that was just a thing relating to being the next Jinho, rather than him turning up again. Which is, well, fair enough; he's been in the past two already. Might as well let someone else have a crack at being awesome.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Much like everyone else, I am supremely disappointed that there was no Extreme Ways in the entire episode. The ₩4000 reveal of melons would've been the perfect time too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, Kyungran got screwed in 5:5. "Oops I accidentally gave the wrong date for my birthday!" is still one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone say ever. Like, I'm still not sure I understand how that even happened, the whole certification date thing was just... such a weird thing to give when it had nothing at all to do with what was being asked.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dongmin is the best. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Man, Middle Race seems like it would be incredibly fun to play.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think it's pretty interesting that the main match didn't even last half the episode. Were it not for the black garnet mission stuff, the producers would've been SOL for getting a full episode out of this one...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

This is made more hilarious by Hyunmin and Dongmin both thinking that Hyunmin had to make a decision to side with his ally or Dongmin. The show played up this decision. Hyunmin and Dongmin had both assumed Yeonseung wasn't that stupid and thus thought there was an actual decision to be made. The show's editors were merciful enough not to explicitly point this out.

To be fair, from Yeonseung's position there wasn't necessarily anything to lose from going low there. He was in a poo poo position anyway and guessed reasonably high but still also below the rest of his team (which has problems of its own but at least Yeonseung would've saved himself that way). Given Team 2 went 1-1-1-stop twice in a row and Hyunmin had such a giant lead by then that he couldn't lose outside of three people all picking the same very high number, which wasn't likely, that there was no reason to expect them to change... except! The real problem was that it was the perfect encapsulation of not realising from Hyunmin's "lucky" +50 at the triple bomb before that something else was up. Which he was not alone in; apparently everyone else is dumb as a bag of rocks too because no one thought that was a little too well timed!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeonseung what did you to your hair? Goofy hair you was cool. Doesn't even look like the same guy here! :saddowns:

E; Alright, Ahyoung corpsing so hard again but also making Dealer-nuna do so just from a slightly coughing fit is gonna be hard to top.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 9, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Not a great episode like, gametheory-wise, but insanely good television-wise

Yeah, it was a boring game in general (even if it wasn't for the seemingly Untouchable Perfect Strategy), but goddamn was it fun to watch for everything but the game itself. Dongmin is even more amazing when he wants to mess with people Ahyoung and Yeonjoo. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Subyng posted:

Couldn't jongbum have moved his king back to the middle to defend? That's what I was screaming at him to do

He could have, maybe. If he did, then Hyunmin's General takes his Man (not a great move, but Hyunmin probably would've tried to pressure him or something). He'd presumably capture the General at that point, but it would've been too little too late. Hyunmin's King can still move across one and maybe Jongbum would've played the General in the centre of his territory (the Smart Move in this scenario) to force Hyunmin's king to retreat. He wouldn't be able to capture the General, Man or move into Jongbum's territory.

...Really, that would've been a good play but, yeah, as mentioned the only problem with it was that it was probably Hyunmin's move with the board in that setup anyway.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 19, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Melodie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L85V0SKrKiQ

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dongmin finally did it. He made Dealer nuna crack!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tonfa posted:

Sangmin's 5:5 game performance was amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYUCrOg4Fk

5:5 was a sweet game and I'm rewatching it right now.

I just got to the part where that one lady admitted to giving the date of registration of birth when asked for her birthday.

i still cannot believe that is something that someone actually did

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, as glad as I am for how it went, Dongmin really screwed up repeatedly this episode and he did not deserve that win. That Yeonjoo was so close to calling it but... didn't was ridiculous.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Running With Spoons posted:

The 3 tiles you put down have to be in a straight line.

A vertical straight line is still a straight line. It doesn't have to be horizontal.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Judging from the preview, it being Yutnori is the least relevant part of it. It's just a variation on Liar's Dice from the looks of things.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

lfield posted:

Open question: if Yeonjoo had held it together against Dongmin and claimed victory, how do you imagine the last two episodes would have went without him?

If Dongmin lost there, the final match would've been a 2-0 breeze for Hyunmin regardless of who he was up against. If we presume the deathmatch from before still had Hyunmin in it, he would've beaten either Yeonjoo or Mentality King with his strat. If not, the deathmatch may have been a little more up in the air but wouldn't have changed the final result.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Season 1's the best so far, but 2 was the worst by a mile.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Pretty sure this is the Crime Scene 2 cast.

Jinho and Dongmin... :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

I got it wrong this time, welp.

Yeah, same. Was pretty convinced for the first half that it was gonna be Jang, but then ended up thinking Hani by the end for the insurance stuff. I did begin to rethink Jang when he convinced everyone he couldn't have been the one the vic asked to help with the fraud plan because he was going to go on a trip with Hani. Which the vic wouldn't have known.

Definitely for the best that Dongmin missed the bit about rewinding the tape, though, because that would've just made it such a disappointing anticlimax.

...What also didn't help was that I misremembered stuff and figured that the guest couldn't be the criminal, since if I remember right, this was the first time it's happened.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Ah, my mistake.
Sucks that jinho is gone next week. Wonder what led to this decision.

I think Jinho being next week's victim is just luck of the draw. It's not really any different to Yoon who's role amounted to being a second victim.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I find it interesting that the actual players got this one wrong and, for I think the first time this season, didn't get that "the important piece of evidence you missed" thing. Which they've still gotten consistently even when their conclusion and reasoning is correct. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Crime Scene ep10's up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The Genius S4: Interview with Idiotape. :allears:

Y'know, the guys what do the opening theme and a lot of the other awesome music used in the show.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Director Jin is awesome, but might not have shown it yet by episode 3.

Yeah, it's episode 4/case 3 where he really comes into his own.

Also to be completely fair, the first 2 episodes of season 2 ARE a bit different from the normal stuff, so I could see someone not getting why the show is so good just from that. Episode 1 especially makes it seem like something very different to what it is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I would imagine people in Korea don't have to wait for a subber on Tumblr. :shrug:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Also in seasons 1 and 2, the winner of a deathmatch got the losers garnets. None were lost until S3.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Man, that was a fantastic first episode. I love how everyone got their own theme song Extreme Ways for Jinho and that Mi Mi Mi thing for Kyunghoon were perfect :allears:.

Main match seemed like it was going to be fairly dull after a while but I was so glad to be wrong. Was hoping for Junghyun to pick Junseok so that was great. Super disappointed he lost though. Junghyun was the best part of the latter half of S2 so seeing him go so soon was pretty bad. :(

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

On the other hand, it being an All-Star season makes you expect that they would be MORE on guard against Sangmin, Hyunmin etc. rather than super complacent instead for some reason. No one here has had a completely flawless game during their previous excursions and they've all been beaten before so it just seems bizarre that they would expect to just coast on the things that they've demonstrated they can do when that leaves them super vulnerable to anyone even halfway competent (so, as Junseok demonstrated here, literally anyone but TittyGod). Since they can utilise that to come up with something to counteract their "perfect" plans.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Main match was really cool in concept AND execution. Badly played, but can't win 'em all I guess.

If I was Sangmin, I'd be worried about next week. Junghyun eliminated last week and Yohwan this week? Season 2's representatives are going down in order. Hopefully his S1 third place will buy him time :v: