Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

this is a stickup posted:

kyunghoon couldn't win against argentinian children in a korean dictation contest

it is actually impressive how bad he is at literally everything

Actually he's pretty good at finding important evidence, you just shouldn't ever listen to his reasoning on anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

tbh, the way this season is going so far pretty much answers the big question people had back in season 2. Was the entire game just handed to Sangmin back then, or were the season 2 contestants exceptionally slim pickings. Now we've got two wins for Sangmin, and both season 2-only contestants are out.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Cute n Popular posted:

Dongmin meta'd the gently caress out of team starcraft since Jinho bases his plays around avoiding the worst outcome.

Yeah, if Jinho doesn't want, say, a gul for an opposing player, he'll practically always throw two marked sticks, making it rather easy for the opposing team to throw two marked sticks as well to get a mo.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah I'm agreement that was kind of ridiculous how he always had the right read. How many deathmatches has Dongmin played before? He seems to be uncannily strong at them despite not having all that much practice with them. I always wonder how Sangmin would do in them because he seems to just avoid the death match as much as he possibly can and therefore probably wouldn't be as practiced. Also I'm amused how Sangmin has won both main matches already, I don't think it'll be easy for him to clean sweep the whole show like before but he's on the right track.

Depending on how you look at it, he's done either one or four before.

Monorail (got outplayed and only won with a ludicrous bluff)

Finals:

Twelve Janggi (lost)
Same Number Hunt (won)
Betting Rock Paper Scissors (won)

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

sharktamer posted:

The only time S2 made me angry was when that lovely lawyer won a deathmatch by abusing Korea's respect culture. He just went to everyone and said waa waa I'm old respect your elders and they all bowed down to him and let him win.

but then Mentality king killed him next ep and it was glorious.

e: actually that was S3. I was sure lovely lawyer and titty god were S2, doctor being the one who killed lovely lawyer should have been a giveaway.

no he went to everyone and said "if you don't tell me what you're going to throw and I survive I'm going to take revenge". They didn't let him win, because that's not a thing they could do.

What made him win the deathmatch was actually rather clever. He won the deathmatch by first testing what happens if you draw, and then drawing twice near the end so tittygod didn't get a chance to make a turnabout..

edit: also my favourite thing from episode 3 of s3 is that in the BTS, a big deal is made of mentality king realising that he can write in korean so lovely lawyer can't tell whether he's writing a single digit or double digit number, but like, the dealers are literally going to call that out anyway

Exercu fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 14, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Max posted:

They really kinda poke at Mentality King a little too much, but I can't tell if that's just the culture or if it's more barbed.

It was that and also realizing that he could easily read the lawyer's numbers since he was making those giant decisive hand motions. I noticed him writing his out as words but they don't mention it on the show, sadly. It was one of the better plays that I wish was highlighted.

Yeah but the point is, Mentality King points out that he can see whether it's a single digit or double digit number, but if it's a single digit number, they're going to call out Black, and if it's a double digit number, they'll call out white.

Being able to tell whether the other person wrote a single digit or a double digit number is entirely meaningless. (Now, being able to tell the difference between, say, 10 and 11 is useful)

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Nondevor posted:

Which episode was this? I didn't watch all of S3.

Depending on what you mean, the episode Max refers to where the Mentality King gives his first hints at being a decent player in his own right is the BTS clip from episode 3. The second middle race is episode nine.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Episode 3 is up.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

That was pretty painful to watch.

Though, while it was around 50% Kyunghoon's fault that Sangmin went into the deathmatch, Kyunghoon destroyed him in Betting RPS, fair and square. (Sangmin's first hideous blunder of "not moving his box" was the main reason why Sangmin even needed to do anything special to survive) If Sangmin hadn't made a hilariously stupid mistake, he wouldn't have had to rely on Tactics Poison God.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

If Sangmin had moved his box everyone would have known that Kyunghoon did it on his orders. If Kyunghoon hadn't said that he did it to save Sangmin, Sangmin's plan would have went off without a hitch.

Wrong box-moving moment. Sangmin straight up forgets to move his box until it is too late in round 1. That point deficit is what fucks Sangmin over

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

One of the many best things in this episode is when Sangmin emerges from under the table and Dongmin and Hyunmin are sort of just entirely stunned in amazement

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Reisen posted:

I keep thinking that Jungmoon could have used misreporting of the pi digits to put suspicion on some of the loyalists by saying they should have chosen lower numbers than they actually could. But every way I try to imagine it working seems pretty easy to get around.

The thing is, it's entirely irrelevant. The way the rebels win this game is, essentially, by just playing along with everyone else. Around the end of round three, so 23 numbers in, the string 2534 appears. It is very unlikely that both A and B are below 54 at that point. I've tried plugging away at it a couple of times now, and there is simply no way the loyalists get anywhere close to their goal before hitting three digits.

The rebels win this game by doing "gently caress all" until they're at three digits as long as they're not being hilariously suspicious.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Eastwood posted:

I don't get why Jungmoon revealed why she knew so many digits of pi. Sure, she may have been able to earn everyone's trust, but by doing that, she gave up any chance for the rebels to make a move.

On the other hand, Dongmin played that game practically perfectly. He made sure that no one would ever split up and talk, and he correctly deduced 2 of the rebels. His intuition is impressive.

Honestly I think it was advantageous. Or would have been if the team wasn't hilariously inept. Even knowing a gajillion billion digits of pi, there's still no way for the loyalists to win before they break the third digit, and at that point the rebel team can force an end. So the downside of the loyalists being able to control the game doesn't mean anything because as long as the rebels:

-remain undiscovered
-have a turn while a number is at 3 digits

They can end it right then and there.

See, Jungmoon knowing all the digits means all loyalist strategising is done in the opening makes it so Yoohyun and Kyungran wouldn't have to sit around doing it on their notepads. Less suspicion hooray.

But instead they practically wrote on their faces "I am suspicious"

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

qbert posted:

Was the guaranteed? I forgot the turn order but worse case scenario, they break 3 digits, lock up 2 suspected rebels who happen to BE rebels, and the remaining rebel is furthest away from taking a turn.

Still guaranteed forced win by Rebels?

I think so. Most attempts I've done at this, though I haven't exhaustively done it or anything, have the third digit broken as the 23rd number placed

24-25-26-27-28-29-30 leaves the final number placed as the rebel if the rebel is last.

edit: Basically the problem is that unless you have either A or B lower than 54 when you get the 23rd number, you need to break the third digit.

the 23rd number is 2534. That leaves seven turns for seven non-jailed people.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 30, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

qbert posted:

Is this assuming they alternate entering numbers between columns A and B? I feel like it would have been more advantageous for the loyalists to focus on one column first before switching to the other. That way if they're getting close to triple digits in Column A, they can all agree to switch to Column B until 2 numbers show up that are close to the last entered number in Column A.

Honestly it doesn't matter that much. I can't see a way to place 22 numbers down where either A or B is lower than 54 and none of them have broken the ceiling.

http://pastebin.com/gkU8FAe9 a quick pastebin of the situation

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Basically, yeah. I did hit on a configuration where A hits three digits with only one more box to be filled though. But in that case, a rebel can knock over the sandcastle in B pretty easily.

http://pastebin.com/AbtzeXFi A rebel being in any of the slots in the final block tips this over.

edit: why yes I am bored this thursday evening

Exercu fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Eastwood posted:

Couldn't this still be achieved if they didn't know what numbers came next? It's true that both columns fill up to 3 digits sooner or later, but you would only know this if you knew the pattern.

Also, you don't necessarily have to immediately play a 4 digit number as a rebel to win. You could play something in the 600s, and then hope that a loyalist draws something like 5678, 9956, or another high number. Not only would the game be over in a turn or two, but the loyalist would end the game and draw suspicion to themselves.

It could, but being able to simply follow the plan of the Dongmeister all the way means that you essentially get to not have any responsibility for the numbers exploding as they do. Also note that in the example I pastebinned a few posts ago, the rebel can end the game no matter where in the order he is on the final round. It might not be on his turn it'll end, but it'll end just as surely.

round 24: he can make a four-digit number.
round 25: he can turn the 62 into 976. game ends next round.
round 26: he can turn 67 into 842. Next round 860 is played, followed by 1235.
round 27: he can turn 81 into 868. Next round 1235 is played.
round 28: he can turn 86 into 532. Next round 820 is played, followed by 4667.
round 29&30: we're back into four-digit world chinguya

The public knowledge of the numbers means that there's an opportunity to realise this without any of the members having to act suspiciously by, say, scribbling away on their own at any point except for the final attack.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

I don't think anyone wants to send Hyunmin to the deathmatches because of the very high risk of Janggi.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Ornithology posted:

What's the deal with Hyunmin being such a threat at Janggi? Is it just because he was happy when it came up in the deathmatch list? Don't get me wrong, the guy is smart, but he also has a huge ego and seems to forget that other players can come up with sound strategies as well. I think it would be a fitting end to his arc for him to lose at his own specialty.

Dongmin was pretty confident at Janggi in season 3 and decided to coach Hyunmin. Apparently he only won literally the first test game and Hyunmin, also a third-dan Go player iirc, beat him in the rest. Hyunmin then proceeded to beat Jong-Bum in Janggi and destroyed Dongmin in the Final Match.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

My heart... I can't take this! This show is killing me.

JINHO GOT poo poo CARDS ALL GAME WTF

yes, because Kyunghoon deliberately folded whenever he could see that the next card in the dealer shoe was a low card so Jinho would get that.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

azsedcf posted:

In the beginning of that interview one of the hosts mentions that he's running a kickstarter for Black & White and Monorail equivlents. The thing that caught my attention is that description for the Black & White game says something I can't figure out:

How do self-reading cards even work? I've tried to find out, either through pictures or text descriptions, but nothing's coming up.

Edit: Store page for reference.

One of the cards has crosses and check-marks at the bottom, iirc. The other has a hole. Overlay the cards and it'll say who wins depending on whether there's a cross or a check-mark shown through the hole. So the player with the hole puts his card's back against the front of the other card. He won't know what the other card is, but he can see whether he won.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Strap the gently caress in. You're in for a ride.

Agreed. It starts good, and gets better.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Sunggyu leaving was very sad, the female dealer must be devastated

The 5:5 Game is my favorite one so far, really relies on the the individual's ability to use what they have. Impressed by the the OR questions used. Surprised no once asked the guests what they'd been told.

Yeah, I think it's exceptionally good at showcasing how the remaining contestants think.

Kyungran is thorough and by the book.

Sangmin relies on his observational skill.

Jinho finds a solution that destroys the game.

Edit: though honestly I don't like jinho's solution to the game because it, well, wrecks the game forever. As soon as you permit creating new information, the game is meaningless

Exercu fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 15, 2016

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

I was a bit sad that Jinho and Sangmin never got to face off in s1 because they were respectively the best game player and the strongest social player

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Hongchul is uh, Hongchul. There's no one quite like him. He's the elevator airhumping guy in Gangnam Style and he never ever in any show turns down the "I am 110% energetic and obnoxious" vibe

V Yeah, Extreme Ways has been used in all the Bourne movies.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 16, 2016

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Goofy Dad (Junghyun) is one of my favorites :)

Junghyun is the unsung hero of S2.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Yeah the infamous episode is later. The main game is about resources. E6

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Ok thank goodness but now I am worried one of my princes will die in episode six. However in this episode Yoonsun cemented herself as my favourite of the new season when she was being interviewed by the winners and hit them with "I won't grovel for you to save me"

Yeah, Yoonsun is pretty good. I think I like around half the cast of s2 a lot, but there are a bunch of people who seriously drag it down.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

That's basically the full list of cool people in s2.

I might argue for the inclusion of the dark magician, but otherwise, that's a perfect list of people - including the part where yohwan is somehow both terrible and good at the same time.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Is episode 6 the one with jiwon's betrayal?

Yes. Bothjiwon stealing doohee's card and betraying him also Emmy do not read these spoilers.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

xcore posted:

That's the extent that I remember it too, but I remember there being a whole bunch of fallout with Sangmin as well. Wasn't there this whole underlying storyline around bullying, and a whole bunch of the women on the show going home in tears? Or was that a completely separate incident?

Yeah. So this is going to be a bit of a big wall of spooky text but here we go - So there were a couple of things a bit messed up with that. First, both Jiwon and Yooyoung are kind of famous people. So right off the bat, it looks a fair lot like two famous people bullying a fairly non-descript non-famous person - now consider that the episode took about six hours to record and that for most of that time, he was just walking around unable to participate in the game. Secondly, regarding the crying incident - according to sekrit insider leaks - in the pre-screening of the episode, there were a lot of scenes of him asking for his card back, but most of them were edited out. The pre-screening was where a bunch of female staff left the room crying. The producer had to come out and apologise for the events of the episode and promise that it wouldn't happen again. This led to the rule change in s3 where any kind of stealing would automatically put you in last place. Strictly speaking, stealing was against the rules the entire time, but Sangmin broke that literally in the first episode of the Genius s1 - but that was more acceptable in a sense because what he did was part of a funny play, rather than "no, you can't play the game at all for the next six hours and you will lose no matter what." Oh, and of course, Jiwon called Doohee outside the show promising to save him - and then didn't. People on the internet were kind of angry

^drat you for being faster than me, qbert :(

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Yeah, all the spoiler tagged stuff is S2E6 stuff. Also Yooyoung's career as an announcer basically tanked after this, as far as I know.

Also it's time for the picture

Exercu fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Crime scene starts a bit shaky, yeah. In the beginning they dedicate two episodes to each case, which is really slow. Fourth case onward, each case is one episode. Season 2 of crime scene is fantastic, but s3 of the genius is mandatory viewing beforehand, as an alumnus of genius s3 joins the crime scene cast

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Zythrst posted:

If you skip Crime Scene season one you don't get the glory that is Hyunmoo.

But if you skip the first half of season one, you don't get Henry, which is good for your mental wellbeing.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, 100% going to work through them after I catch up on The Genius! At what point in airing did the thread start because I like to read old threads for stuff I've seen and read the reactions at the time! Currently I am dfinitely not listening to solo Sunggyu live performances and learning to read korean

I just checked, thread started around the time S2 started.

edit: though the first post has been updated since, so it's a s3 poster

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

S2E8's death match, S2E9's main match, S2E10's death match and S2E11 are all excellent.

Yeah, the good thing is that after S2E7, we are at rock bottom in regards to morale. Things are only going to go upwards from here.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Yeah, jinhos decision was objectively correct. If you don't call when your opponent all ins with the worst card, then when the heck do you call

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Yutnori. And yeah, it's basically Korean ludo. One mark is one back, two marks is forward two, three marks is forward three, four marks is forward 4 and an extra turn, no marks is forward five and an extra turn.

Edit: so if Jinho and min soo are playing against, say, sunggyu and don't want him to move three spaces, because then he will take min soo's piece, they may play two blank sticks. Then sunggyu can either play none, for five moves and an extra turn, one for going one back or two for going forward two.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 20, 2016

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Tactical Yutnori move names

Back do (one marked) - back one.
Gae (two marked) - forward two.
Gul (three marked)- forward three
Yut (all marked)- forward four + 1 turn
Mo (none marked)- forward five + 1 turn.

For future reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Jinho winning open pass is my second favorite Jinho moment of s1