Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

I SURVIVED THE AWFUL BLOCK, AGDQ 2018

Juri miscalculated real hard in the deathmatch, geez. Guess it was nerves and a bit of overthinking her situation.

Also, people trying to get a reaction out of nuna dealer is still the best thing in the show.

Couldn't get much of a read on the cast for this first episode - and yeah, I also have the same problem as some of you do and I call people by their profession/what they did for the first four episodes or so. My tentative picks for people going far are the psych webcomic dude, Dongmin (he has dong in his name it's easier to remember okay) and poker dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think Dongmin is easy to remember because he's such a charismatic dude.

True, but the dong helps. I remembered Juri because of SF4, actually. I could blame Korean for the confusion, but it takes me a while to memorize names in both English and my native language.

Josh Lyman posted:

Dongmin is this season's Hongchul.

That's why I think he's going far, I see some similarities between the two already.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Aww, I expected more from the main game.

I like that they had the completely wrong read on the cute chanel girl (still bad with names). "She's blushing and awkward and avoiding us, she must be the leader!", while Hyunmin went under the radar by interacting with the criminals a lot. Also, way to disprove 2/3rds of my tentative contenders list, psych dude and poker dude got played like a fiddle.

Yongsuk getting the foreboding dark music from Dexter while he threatened people was an inspired music choice. Still no Extreme Ways. Hopefully they're saving it for a mindblowing moment. I didn't see the draw play coming, but my brain spends most of the deathmatches figuring out how the players will react/if someone double-crossed them instead of thinking about the rules. I felt sorry for the guy that lost and his super-awkward crush on the announcer. That was the best segment of this episode, by the way.

I came out of E2 with a lot more respect for Hyunmin (so much that I remember his name now) and a lot less for all the dudes on the criminal team for the awful, awful play. Next week's game sounds interesting, I love the unique-skill games and it seems like Hweejong is slipping back to his jerk origins.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

SebastianK posted:

Haven't been the biggest fan of mr Dong so far but this clip is pretty fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZmXA7RvUE

As I said before, the best part of The Genius is people trying to crack up dealer nuna.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

They forgot (or omitted) the explanation for the stack order on the abilities, that made it a bit confusing for everyone during the first round.

I have the same opinion about the game as you guys: it's super-complicated, but it's probably real fun to play. I love when we get these "synergy" games on The Genius, and if there's ever an American version, I'd like to see a MTG player on it because if anyone's gonna figure out a broken combo it's a TCG expert.

Hyunmin continues to be great, and Lawyer Kang gets wrecked for his threats last episode. Hell yeah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Hyunmin: the best player in the game and the haters can go get hosed.

The Main Match ended too fast and it was 90% a matter of chance, which is a game design flaw IMO. I think you're not giving the poker dude enough credit for his fake double sword play, tho. Dongmin had already pulled a real one out of his rear end, so it caused enough confusion that it forced Hweejong to misplay. I would've called it and taken the chance, because they already knew Mentality King was their leader anyway.

Deathmatch...it was boring and the neat trick was poker dude's, not...other dude's (he's pretty much the blandest of the crew). But Hweejong played it real bad. He was super predictable on his bets, fold on low, bet high on high or raise on high. That's why conservative and consistent play beat him. He didn't see the benefits of conditioning and bluffing to beat that strategy, or the benefits of double-bluffing on even a 50% chance after you were behind by 5 chips or so. I can't hate on "lame" play tho, defense wins championships

Hap! Gyul! is always super-fun when it shows up because it's tense as poo poo to watch and terrifying to play. Of course, a 100s countdown just magnified that. I'm bad at these pattern-finding things under pressure, but I saw 1, 2, 3 right off the bat and every time he called a combination I went "1, 2, 3! 1, 2, 3!". When he Gyul'd I was so sad.

Hyunmin is the best player so far, Dongmin is the second best player and he gets so mad when people don't understand - I can relate to that. Sujin won me over with the red dress by being quite rational about her decisions and basically saying "gently caress it, I'll do it" whenever someone has to sacrifice themselves. Yeonjoo is so derpy I have to like her , and Mentality King wins the Most Improved Genius award. The cast is fine overall, I just hope that they have some less...alliance-y games soon. Most of the games so far rewarded strong alliances way more than power plays, when they weren't straight out team games like this week. That's why Hyunmin feels like he's railroading people to deathmatches, because he's the best at making up a good plan that benefits most people fast and not double-crossing people that weren't already doomed by it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah the title means this I think, tests to determine who is truly The Genius

I thought dealer nuna was the genius

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeonseung sucks so much

I think we can all agree that you are the one that, and I quote, "sucks".

That was a fun episode with a fun main match, yay.

Dongmin and Hyunmin are way smarter than everyone else, it's almost painful. Plus, now they know it too, as the main match showed us. Hyunmin wasn't willing to make an enemy out of Dongmin, even if it meant backstabbing a team member. Those two are my favorites right now and unless they gently caress up real hard, they're guaranteed top 4 or 5. Hyunmin should tattoo "we can make X last" after this show is done.

Finally, we get a main match that isn't a simple team game. I missed those, I really did. Bombs or diamonds having a tell was a given, and I was quite impressed Dongmin got there before anyone else - turns out he didn't, but still. Team Goofus almost figuring it out but not quite was a highlight. Team Goofus, you're so endearing . Although, to be fair, you might've been able to notice a different texture depending on how the minerals were manufactured. The triple bomb play fooled me at first, I only suspected something was up after I saw Hyunmin's bet - no way the dude's that ballsy without being 99% sure of the results. Nice acting, guys. Ahyoung is getting more and more unhinged every episode and I love it, I'm hoping she keeps teaming up with Dongmin until the end of time .

MENTALITY KING didn't make the brightest of decisions pissing off Dongmin, but it wasn't that terrible either. He's right in assuming he'll be the one strung along in any plans Dongmin might have, and surviving the deathmatch would mean striking a blow to Dongman's (typing the same name a thousand times gets old, okay?) alliance. If Hyunmin decides to make a play against his main rival, Yeonseung will be a good ally. Of course, I'd be more wary of Hyunmin than Dongmin...The deathmatch was poo poo, mostly because of the game. It being decided on an egregious mistake didn't help matters either, of course. Why, Sujin, why. I can only hope that's the last we see of Double-Sided Poker. Hell, do some Hap Gyul next week, I'd take that repeat over Double-Sided Poker again.

Next week's main match sounds cool and could lead to some interesting combos. Wonder who Hyunmin will make come last.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Tonfa posted:

So far Dongmin and Hyunmin seem like mirror world Sangmin and Jinho to me. The fiercely loyal social player and the ruthlessly calculating game theory master. It owns and I hope they are the finals (we never got a proper Jinho vs Sangmin showdown )

I was thinking about that too, actually. The way I see it, there's two ways to approach competitive gaming of any kind: you can either break the opponents or break the game. Dongmin and Sangmin were better at the former, Jinho and Hyunmin (and Yohwan, really) were better at the latter. The Miner Game exemplified that, Dongmin went straight into making alliances while Hyunmin decided to figure out any hidden tricks in the game before anything else. Dongmin isn't as aggressive with his alliances as Sangmin, tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

As I've said time and again, the best part of The Genius is watching dealer nuna corpsing.

Pretty good episode again this week, and judging by the preview it seems like this season might get on a roll.

Again, Hyunmin and Dongmin dominated the main match, mostly because it took two games in a row for people to understand those two are way too good at this whole Genius thing. Keeping their alliance on the down low helped, of course, but manipulating the timing for buying and selling stocks by trading information at the right time was the decisive element for their win. I mean, if the guy that spent 13 garnets to get confidential material tells you "I can save you if you do me a solid", you help him regardless of whether or not you trust him.

The deathmatch was better this time and Jongbum finally justified being one of my top picks back in episode 1 with some solid reads. I hate when these types of games (the ones with spectator participation) become about alliances and misinformation, so the decision to make it a fair match made me very happy. Neither player was amazing at the game, but I feel like the better guy won at the end. The cheeky intentional loss at the start was my favorite bit, although Jongbum should've seen the mirror play coming, it's the natural reaction to being made a fool.

Is it just me or you guys can sense somewhat of a power ranking between this season's participants? I mean, Hyunmin and Dongmin are far and beyond the best players, but you also have Jongbum and Yoohyun being smart, even if always outplayed, Ahyoung being a bad player with good connections, and Yeonseung and Yeonjoo just being...kinda hopeless. The producers and the cast seem to have figured that out, if next week's preview isn't intentionally misleading - a majority rules game where people are piling on Dongmin/Hyunmin? Awesome.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Subyng posted:

I feel like the main match was too perfect too allow the other contestants to team up against Hyunmin and Dongmin. If you ever wanted to accuse the producers of match rigging, this would be the best evidence.

Oh, there's no fuckin' way in hell that wasn't rigged. I'm not mad tho, because it made for a super-compelling TV episode. It was nice to see Jongbum and Yeonseung (MENTALITY KING OF KINGS, THE CEREBRAL ASSASSIN) attempt to take down the HyunDong Express on the best shot they'd ever have to do it. The main match was boring from a mechanical standpoint, but there was still enough psychological drama to not make it a 100% done deal. I mean, they did present a compelling argument (and by argument I mean threat) to the girls - if Yeonjoo wasn't already destined to win the game, we could've seen a triple-cross out of pure fear. Dongmin's constant harassment was amazing too.

And they picked a "neutral" deathmatch (plus a hella hard black mission - at least at first sight. p.s: UGH I MISCOUNTED THE LETTERS ON RANDOM STRANGER'S VERSION MY METHOD WOULD'VE WORKED OTHERWISE gently caress) so in the end the better player would've stayed anyway - and that turned out to be Hyunmin. It wasn't amazing play, but hey, nerves can get you. He was so heartbroken tho, it almost made me cry. I thought he was crying on the flashforwards because arrogance undid him or something, but no.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Thinking about it, the hardest part of the memory game - other than keeping your composure - is actually remembering the names of the places. That's where the 30s time limit bites you if the initials don't adjust themselves into easy-to-remember sounds/words - okay, you know the order but what the gently caress was the C again?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

BSam posted:

There's a pretty cool Moby song they've used in the first couple of seasons as well.

I made that song my occasional alarm clock. It's pretty effective.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

I have a terrible nail-biting habit.

Therefore, I would've had a deathmatch strategy. It's too much to remember, so you might as well figure out a way to leave breadcrumbs, right? Also, always go forward and as close to the edge as possible. Makes it easier to remember your path. Man, that's the first deathmatch I don't think I'd suck at!

I'll miss Ahyoung. It was her time, she made it very far and end up caught in the crossfire. Although, if you asked me, I'd have said Yeonjoo would leave before her. I can't remember the name of the old dude from season 2 now, but Yeonjoo's that dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

(It's been two pages, so I'm not bothering with spoiler tags. I hope that's okay.)

Yeonjoo just became my favorite. I still think she's bad at the main games, but she put a hell of a performance one-on-one. Her stepping into Yoohyun's square before he could finish his sentence was amazing and started a mental breakdown. That coupled with Yeonseung's new-found skill (he's been getting better and better for a while now, to his credit) means the finals aren't set on stone like I thought they were.

Middle Race was okay, I guess. This variation made for a more entertaining watch, but it's still not the best choice for TV - it's slow-paced and the optimal strategy leans towards repeating a powerful ability combo over and over. It also didn't allow space for the guests to shine. However, since it allowed for The MENTALITY KING'S REVENGEANCE and got us Hyunmin snatching (partial) victory from the jaws of defeat, I'm not too upset with it.

I'm starting to think Yeonseung's problem wasn't so much being a bad player as it was being bad at social play. As the cast thins down, he's allowed to play "solo" more often and that works for the guy. Hyunmin and Dongmin are still miles better than him, but dude's not as bad as I thought he was. Also, those two got a bad hand dealt to them these last two episodes - a "majority rules" game and one literal bad draw with the pick order for abilities this time. It was bound to happen, and it adds some cracks in that duo's invincibility aura, which is great.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

He's a chiropractor, correct? That's western fake medicine, not eastern fake medicine (though I'm sure you'll find chiropractors who will claim the latter as some kind of reach for authenticity). And of course, outside of groups like SA where there are plenty of people to point out their practices are completely ineffectual, I think you'll find that the most people will line up defend these things.

All I ever heard was that he was a "Oriental Medicine" doctor - which could range from herbal treatments to acupuncture.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Fall posted:

The Best Haircut: Rules of the Game

That was probably Yoohyun, actually.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Noooooooooooo

Goddamnit, that one stung.

Yeonjoo was so close and then she doubted herself. Girl's actually solid as gently caress in deathmatches, but ugh. Jinho winning the main match was cool - with the same strategy Hyunmin applied too, which validates my earlier comparision. That deathmatch tho. My heart is shattered.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Running With Spoons posted:

The bts are out, and there's a Jinho vs Hyunmin monorail match!

Haha, Hyunmin trash-talking Jinho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

The other BTS is even better than the monorail match, holy poo poo.

(please ship Hyunmin/Jinho)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

I disagree strongly with you all on game 3. I hate deathmatches where the other contestants are strong influences, even if "making allies" is part of the game. As a result, that last match was so lopsided in Dongmin's favor, Hyunmin had to take much bigger risks to win. Not that he played better - honestly, I think he got outplayed 1-on-1 there, but ugh. I never liked those ever.

The rest of the finale was great tho, and whoever won would be deserving, so I don't mind the result either. I always thought Hyunmin was better at 1-on-1 confrontations and figuring out games, and Game 1 proved me right. Game 2 was memory and quick math, so that's more playing against yourself. Dongmin kept his nerves and demonstrated having a great memory - plus, he played his items at the right time to seal the deal. Hyunmin should've blind-buzzed when he made it to 7:6 and used both Spots if needed. As it was, he wasted two of his three items - you should never lose before exhausting all resources, man.

Now, I'mma take advantage of their names being both seven letters and say that Hyunmin deserves a runback if there's a season 4.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

qbert posted:

If the age thing was really that significant of a cultural factor, then why wasn't Season 2's finale just as equally unbalanced?

Yohwan wasn't that younger, I'll assume (isn't he 30-something?). Plus, he's also somewhat of a celebrity.

Josh Lyman posted:

Kyungran was solid throughout the season though. Ahyoung never demonstrated any real abilities and just about should have lost in the first round.

Yeonjoo got close to the Kyungran spot, if she didn't choke against Dongmin she might've made the finals on momentum alone.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Zythrst posted:

Yeah the only one approaching that is maybe Junghyun depending on what you think of him.

Honestly, after her last three episodes or so, I'm almost willing to put Yeonjoo on that list too. She took apart the poker dude in that deathmatch and almost beat Dongmin - she lost to herself there, honestly. Girl was way more clever than we gave her credit for.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Elite posted:

She's a lot smarter than she gives HERSELF credit for. Right up until the end she seemed to have no confidence and no faith in her own abilities.

Yeah, that's true, she lost her deathmatch because she couldn't believe she hadn't hosed up. Maybe she belongs to the Yohwan list like that guy said, but she was more legit than she appeared to be. Also, stepping into the poker dude's square and cutting his sentence halfway was one of the coolest things in the whole series. You could SEE the confidence shrinking.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Unlike many other derails, this one is not fun to read. Thank you for reading my posts, and please stop, all of the rest of you. Jinho fighting.

FIne, but just lemme get this last snipe in: that dude is really misplaced in a thread called The Genius.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

You failed the snipe.

Well, this was a dumb waste of time. Also, yeah, let's hope for Tittygod getting eliminated first. Either that or a crazy upset.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Max posted:

Was Dongmin only in one deathwatch?

I'm pretty sure, yeah. Almost lost it too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

There's no way the four favorites aren't Jinho, Dongmin, Sangmin and Hyunmin. Dominant in main matches, legit enough in deathmatches (winning the final means winning two deathmatches, really).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah somebody did that last season, she called herself a bomb. I think it may have been Yeonjoo.

Yeah, Yeonjoo pulled that one out last season. I don't remember it very well, but I think she refused to give up her garnets for safekeeping just in case.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

That was a good-rear end episode, yeah.

First of all, Jinho gets Extreme Ways as his theme song, yesssss.

Main Match was won by a pretty bold move by Sangmin, who I feel is playing unlike himself? Going for solo victories wasn't really his style, I feel. Junseok and TITTYGOD are there just to be jokers, those guys smashed any careful planning by the 11-man alliance with their decisions. Hyunmin's calculations and strategies are worth poo poo when two players do whatever the gently caress they want. I'd be sniping those two (and Sangmin, on principle alone) ASAP, if only to avoid them making a mess out of things.

I'm back to default "can't remember Korean names that well", so I'll say the girl that got the convict card made the correct play dumping it on the old dude. Pretty sure it says something about Korean culture that Sangmin panicked when he realized that the convict card changed hands too..that, or he was deathly afraid of it landing on Jinho/Dongmin/Hyunmin and him burning even more bridges.

I'll say that banning Quattro (Quattro had audience participation a couple of times before) and all the memory games were pretty smart vetoes by both deathmatch players. Old Dude had a better shot at any gambling contest than other games, but he got outplayed plain and simple. Evil won. Poor Old Dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

This Post Sucks posted:

He freaked out because he was the next in line to have to trade with old dude, thus, Sangmin would have ended up with the convict. You even saw the other people thinking that Sangmin was being honorable thinking Sangmin had the convict and didn't want to trade it to old dude out of respect, but it was really cause he didn't want to lose.

Oh, that would make sense, I forgot he was also in line for that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Nondevor posted:

Going back to this:

After thinking about the "playing unlike himself" part, I don't think that's the case. Sangmin is a pretty smart guy who encourages alliances and follows through with joint wins if they work (like S1E5 with Kyungran and the zombie game). I think he noticed that Junseok was planning on breaking the joint win, with Yohwan and Titty-god likely to help because why not, and decided that he'd do something instead.

I'm looking forward to Kyungran acting as the enforcer of justice in the future. Her glare in the opening I missed that.

You're not wrong, in hindsight it was a calculated decision and something he did before, but after seeing him dominate S2 with alliances for the longest time it came a bit out of left field. Honestly, I think he jumped on the opportunity Tittygod's gently caress-up gave him even before that - as soon as he realized the convict changed hands and everyone was confused, he saw the power play and Junseok's disruption just made it even stronger. I'm not sure double-crossing most of the cast (and trying to make a reliable ally out of Tittygod) would be the smartest thing to do too, even if he'll probably get away with it.

On another note, Jinho and Hyunmin kinda got overshadowed this episode. I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of power shifts depending on whether the main match is a social game or more theory-based.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Hyunmin is logical as gently caress, but he forgets that the most logical path isn't always the most individually beneficial. That's why he goes so often for a plan that isolates one person and makes them lose, instead of one that makes him win. That's also why his plans tend to get derailed so often.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

I like that Kyunghoon is simply there for us to be mad at, so nobody can be mad at anyone else.

Tittygod is a poo poo lightning rod. Yohwan breathes a sigh of relief.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Little_wh0re posted:

Remember that Jinho took out Junseok S1 because he said he was most worried about him. I think he could be a spoiler this season

As I said in one of those CIA-document posts, I'd try and take both him and Tittygod out as soon as possible. Those guys are way too unreliable, plus Junseok at least has a modicum of competence.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Maduo posted:

King of the Nerds is probably the closest example and what you'd want to take cues from for a US Genius Game. All you'd need to do is replace the let's players and bronies with more Genius-type jobs. It's not like we have a shortage of poker players who like being on TV, and that's like a quarter of the people who have been on The Genius.

There's a lot of poker players and professional gamers in America, some of them even have good personalities! In fact, it would be feasible to emulate Korea in terms of casting: put in some professional gamers, three or so "normal" people, a handful of comedians/actors and presto. It's more about how you'd handle production and editing, really. American reality and game shows are cast, written and edited to produce and accentuate dumb conflict. If you push the other way, you're gonna mostly avoid assholes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

It pops out every once in a while, those guys are kinda overreacting because that's what goons do. It's fine.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

Best moment of the episode: TITTAYGOD going "holy poo poo I think I figured it out", everyone pausing in expectation with his redemption on the line...and then it's absolutely nothing. Tittygod is getting endearingly pathetic.

MVP was Dongmin by a mile, for destroying the Starcraft Alliance by himself (sorry, Yeonseung) on the deathmatch and controlling the main game beautifully. Sangmin was good too and Hyunmin did all the game theory work as always. Jinho is gonna have to bring his A-Game if he wants to hang with those three.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

CommaToes posted:

No idea how Sangmin wins another game. I think this one was more just fate than actual strategy.

Bit of column A, bit of column B. His gambit last week paid off, and that one garnet basically ensured he would get a joint win. The solo win was due to circumstances, and it actually kinda sucked for the alliance as explicited by the narrator. Sandmin is just always at the right place at the right time.

On the main game, did I miss something or the "way to win" was supposed to be picking out pieces thru magnetism? I'm too lazy to go back and check the explanation, but I don't think anyone took advantage of it, Dongmin picked it out off the weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

My heart warms up every time I hear CHINGUYA! on The Genius.

«3 »