Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

For those of you who are familiar with Liar Game, are you referring to the manga or TV series? I'm watching the series now (subbed on Youtube) and while I can see similarities in the format, the main female character is about as frustrating to watch as Shinji in Evangelion, and the audience is treated like kids, drawing out explanations in both time and verbiage of how to play the game and how the winner triumphed.

It's shot how I imagine the panels in the manga would look, so at least that's cool.

I found the Liar Game manga to be much better than the show, for what it's worth. Also worth checking out is Kaiji, which starts off with a variation of the Rock-Paper-Scissors card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Spoiler for next week's game:
It looks like they'll be playing a version of kobayakawa. It's not a bad little game, but it's normally kind of spoiled by being a betting game with nothing actually at stake. I'll be interested to see it played for actual stakes, and how they change the rules for The Genius

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
So, I was mostly right about the game, it was very closely based on Kobayakawa.

Differences in the original game:
There's only one seed card; if a player chooses to draw a new seed card, it replaces the old one whether it's higher or lower.

Betting is fixed, one chip per round except for the last round, which is two chips. This turned out to not be a very big difference.

The game is played with fewer than 7 players, so not all of the cards are seen every round.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I have returned, dear thread, after a year's absence.

Are we posting about Society Game now? And is it good?

Society Game is ok, but more importantly MJ is the best.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I vaguely remember news of The Genius getting licensed out to networks in other countries. Has anything come of that yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Yeah. I was trying to figure out who could possibly be cast in a US version of the show, and I got nothing.

Film it in Vegas, get pro gamblers, stage magicians, entertainers, and mobsters on board.