Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Oh ho ho, that's pretty interesting. The black garnet's pretty much the opposite of our theory that it can be used for sabotage then. I'm curious what it gives the person holding it, since gaining the garnets of the person you eliminate was already a nice reward for surviving a death match.

I have to assume it has a monetary value, since the overall garnet count is going to be much lower with the new ruleset in place.

Honestly, I'm not sure how beneficial garnets are have previously been beyond five or six. Their only real benefit lies in being able to purchase benefits mid-game - as the winner, you'd obviously possess all the garnets in circulation, so it doesn't really matter who has them before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I sorta got bored mid-S2, since it seemed like they ran out of Liar Game to copy and had trouble coming up with new games.

First ep of S4 was pretty great, though.

Anyone willing to give me a 'best of' episode list for S2 and S3?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BBC America does 75 minute timeslots for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, so there's precedent for weird foreign shows getting weird foreign timeslot lengths.

Even if that's just commercial based.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm sure Lady Gaga would be entertaining.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Honestly, though, would have been hilarious if the players had cooperated to arrange a massive tie and inflate the prize to ludicrous levels.

Just have everyone team up against the dorks with 1 garnet each.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

except for the part where they can't, because big alliances are built to fail. it's why hyunmin couldn't steamroll everyone to victory.

If they had 10 people in the alliance, and made sure to keep the designated losers from going last, they could force a tie on the 4-square to null out 11 zombies and mummy cards, leaving 1 vampire or whatever to advance. The fact that tied monsters cancel each other lets a huge alliance dominate the game anyway.

For extra insurance, have Dongmin go first to grab the rare monster that everyone wants, and put it on the 4.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The game is quidditch. Sangmin wins but krum gets the snitch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there a poster of Season 4 players like there has been for 1-3?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's the story behind the tittygod nickname anyway?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If I had an address I could send actual, physical gem garnets :p

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

trucutru posted:

That's totally stealing.

He's just altered the agreement.

Pray he doesn't alter it further.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The main issue I saw was nobody doing a garnet deal with the three suspected rebels at the end.

Like 'you can have your garnets back unless you lose the death match or are lying to me'. It's a deal that none of them would be willing to turn down, and gives you a good chance at garnets.

Kyungran was so insistent she was telling the truth, there's no way she would be willing to turn down the bargain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Did they ever explain what would happen if everyone (or everyone except for a single person) tied?

It wasn't super likely on this game, but fish market would be easy for that to happen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

archduke.iago posted:

Same Number/Picture Hunt, and Monorail are good Death Matches because they're really loving hard.

It's just memorization. They're literally just a test of whether you read about a couple mnemonic tricks or not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

13/f/cali posted:

If they wanted to prevent that they could have given a garnet to the winner of the rehearsal or something.

That's how it worked in liar game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NowonSA posted:

That episode was so good. Ahyoung stole the show like she always does, I loved that she explicitly said it was her mission to make Kyunghoon lose, then followed through and earned $3k for the privilege
1k, because sangmin knows a winning side when he sees it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clever cheat from tittygod this game. I always like those.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

My heart... I can't take this! This show is killing me.

JINHO GOT poo poo CARDS ALL GAME WTF

Shoulda given Dealer Nuna a bigger bribe :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dias posted:

I cannot handle this Tittygod anymore, I hope he wins it all and beats Dongmin in the finals, even if Hyunmin's my boi and was clutch as gently caress this episode.

Also, it's a pity that Jinho didn't get to do much this entire season. At least he went out with a good deathmatch. But seriously tho, Kyunghoon is a BEAST, what the gently caress. The little card cheat was smart stuff.

He really did eat Sangmin's soul and take his power.

I think the guest choices were pretty hilarious though.
"Hey Tittygod, my guest is the memorization champion of Korea. Who do you have?"
"My college roomie."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Double Sided Poker is the best poker deathmatch but the rule where you still have to pay the 10 chip penalty if you fold against a double side bet is really dumb.

:agreed:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

xcore posted:

It kind of does matter because it guarantees he doesn't get picked for the deathmatch. Wait, are they still the rules? What happens if he goes home next episode? Do they play for a prize pool of 8 garnets?

Last 3 player garnets are pooled.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Superrodan posted:

I can't believe Kyunghoon's partner was told explicitly to make Hyunmin lose and instead he made Hyunmin win, and that that fact wasn't hugely focused on by the editors.

He picked the partner most similar to himself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I kind of want to see a jojo-style 'Ultimate Lifeform Dongmin' graphic.

Garnets: USELESS!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In the latest behind the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvH2CxHFvoI

Dongmin's special skill once more comes in handy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Huh. Since they were to all-in at the last round anyway, it basically means the entire rest of the game was irrelevant, and Hyunmin was a lock-in win from the start, since of course he'd be the best at scales.

Nah, if someone had the majority of the garnets they'd be able to win, regardless

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zythrst posted:

No way was that intentional, because the one player couldn't see the shoe at all.

Both of them could see it. Tittygod was in the worse position, actually.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am disappointed by the lack of Extreme Ways

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subyng posted:

At 38:40 during the DM, couldn't [spoiler]Hyunmin[spoiler] have won by moving his minister up-left?

Mnstr(D) Empty Mn(D) Empty

Kng(D) Empty Mnstr(H) King(H)

Empty General(H) Empty Empty

If Hyunmin moves like so,

Mnstr(D) Mnstr(H) Mn(D) Empty

Kng(D) Empty Empty King(H)

Empty General(H) Empty Empty

King takes minister.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subyng posted:

Yeah I realized it didn't work out and decided to NOT post it yet somehow it got posted anyway.

It's the 30 second rule.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I know Ahnuld has a speech therapist to keep his distinctive accent, gimmicks can be gold.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am disappointed by the lack of Extreme Ways.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

If nothing else, Sangmin vs Dongmin wouldn't have been so one-sided... Or so I'd like to believe, anyway.

Sangmin probably would have tried to knock Dongmin to the deathmatch, while getting immunity for himself. Multiple times, if needed.

The best way to fight Dongmin is not to fight him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/129777248808/yeonseungs-blog-post-after-the-genius-black

Kinda neat bit of behind the scenes stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tonfa posted:

The stalling is the shittiest move of all. You're betting your opponent is so bad at the game they will actively harm themselves. Against JANG DONGMIN.

Well, I can see the argument as 'given that we were able to place these pieces at any point on the board we wanted, any movement that isn't forward is going to result in a position that's off the cuff, and incidentally give me more intel on which pieces aren't bombs.'

It's not a great argument but it's not thoroughly awful.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way as pokeyman. Need to check out the Tittycast later.

I'm glad the Genius is getting a shot at an English language version. If they can make it half as good then it'll be a fun watch. With four seasons to choose from you don't even need to come up with your own main match games, just pick and choose some of the good ones.

I would personally freak out for a best of three chess deathmatch near the end or in the finals. Even better if they go with a variant form of Chess with different rules, but I expect if they do Chess at all it'll be straight up.

Bughouse, to add to the social aspect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The cards have slightly different weights, and you put them on a scale. That way the heavier card is worth more, and neither player sees the bottom of either card.

Naturally this is a loophole that strongly favors dongmin.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anaconda Rifle posted:

All female cast #season5spoilers

The Genius: Stone Ocean.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Basically the fact that he got himself eliminated in the 2nd episode because he was looking out for kyunghoon instead of looking out for himself. His selfishness (not in a bad way) is what made him such an awesome player. He showed he was willing to do anything to win and he had the skill and smarts to back it up.

Third episode. After coming in first in episodes 1 and 2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Manic X posted:

Stephen Fry, maybe, but I wouldn't cast in more than one or two comedians since our sense of humour is dry and sarcastic, and can come across as just being an rear end in a top hat. The S-Korean version works so well because very few people act like assholes. Even after betrayals, they still behave calmly.

It'd have to at least be clever UK people (such as, as you say Stephen Fry).

Or go a little international. Would be interesting to see how Weird Al played, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Genius facebook appears to suggest a surprise is in store

If you can figure out what it is do you get to be on the next season?