Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There was another idea to just have a "Korean Brain Game Shows" thread of sorts with The Genius and Crime Scene and any other mind-game type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

olin posted:

What I said has nothing to do with race. This doesn't apply to a person of Korean descent who grows up in another culture. A racially Korean person who grows up in the USA is just an American and they have just as much an ability to grow up creative or original as anyone else (taking natural talent into consideration of course). American culture values creativity and originality so these qualities have a chance to blossom there. What I was talking about is the culture of Korea. This culture promotes conformity and a hive mind that is antithetical to originality. It is their culture I was criticizing. What I was saying has nothing to do with race. In fact, a racist mindset is one of the most troubling things about Korean culture. It is utterly common for Koreans in Korea to believe that their's is the purest race and to look down upon people of other races. I lived in Korea for 3 years and witnessed it many times. The way immigrant workers and basically all foreigners are treated as second class citizens. I had white friends there who married Korean girls and then had to deal with old men calling their children animals as they walked in public.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/world/asia/02race.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I've been all over the world but Korea is the only place I don't like. Hell, Koreans don't like Korea either. They hate themselves leading to every girl in the country wanting to chop up her face with plastic surgery and it being the suicide capital of the world. I'll stop derailing this thread but I just had to respond to your allegation of racism. This has nothing to do with the race of the people. All people are the same regardless of race. But certain aspects of particular cultures can be troubling and Korean culture has a lot of things about it that are disgusting.

So you're not a racist but a bigot who felt the need to drop by a Korean TV shows thread to poo poo on Korean culture in general despite the existence of D&D.

Also please explain the existence of this show if all koreans are unapologetic racists.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 7, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Did anyone else receive a 1300 word PM about Korea from olin?

Ahaha, did he really!

I suppose I should be glad I don't have platinum right now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ten minutes into the second episode, and I'm not sure what's going on with this whole role-based thing. It seems more scripted when people have well-defined roles.

Yeah the lack of an intro was weird. It wasn't too bad though.

Also, I wish Jihoon could stay as a regular member now, he owned. He helped me get the criminal right.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Anyway this is the first time I got the criminal right! :dance:

I was sure it wasn't Jinho I guess because I got used to how he acts. The plan was way too elaborate/bizarre for the guard to do it by impulse.

Dongmin was acting odd and clearly had some missing clues, there was a strange lack of details about his relationship with the artist.

The guard was also drunk as gently caress and wouldn't have had access to a wedding dress. If he had killed her while drunk, I don't think he could have gone to those lengths to paint that kind of scene.

I was suspecting Jang ever since the detective mentioned the news article about his past as a famous painter and I was so sure Jang would have been correctly chosen by Jihoon, Jinho, and the detective. But alas...

This is all Hani's fault.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Fate/zero music for the murder weapon was pretty intense, and I start with a stellar 0/1 record for the season.

So I wasn't imagining it!

They used it pretty well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Elite posted:

but noooo the odd stutter and wanting to think about a question before answering it is enough to make other people suspect him

I thought they established last season that when Jinho stutters he's telling the truth.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was stuck between the wife, Hong, and Kim. The wife has the strongest motivation and has already attempted murder once. My theory was that the fraud accomplice did his job as described and left (I assumed it was Kim), then the wife found him later and finished him off. Hong is on the list because he also has a decent motive and also because I am an idiot and wasn't thinking it through. Kim was on there because I thought he was the most likely to be asked to participate in the fraud.

If I had remembered the time for Bookstore's phone call about the 50k buy in I think I would have been certain about Kim, but unfortunately I didn't so I was kinda stuck.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 20, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I was talking about Jinho's analysis, not Dongmin's, ViggyNash.

Oh, my bad. I got that confused in my head.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

red19fire posted:

I just started season 1, this is incredible. It's like they removed all the dumb "Playing The Game" hyperbole and convoluted rules from Survivor and let the Prisoner Dilemma take center stage. The secret deal reveal at the end of the Main game each episode is amazing, especially the coupes in 1,2,3 and election games.

Is Korea just lax with copyright law? Aside from the Moby soundtrack, I also recognized P!nk and the Dexter closing credits theme.

E: :pusheen: card counting in indian poker death match, never would have thought of that.

E2: The original Django theme. the music director is out of his mind :lol:

As I have discovered, Korean music directors for variety/game shows use whatever the gently caress they want. I was really surprised when Crime Scene started playing some of the background from the first Borderlands game.

Also, The Genius S1's use of "Young and Beautiful" is just perfect :allears:

BTW, could someone get a mod to change the thread title? Idk, it's just irking me that it's named The Genius thread but we're talking about Crime Scene now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

b0lt posted:

The Hong Jinho Megathread

Quality thread title right here.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zythrst posted:

I think a lot of the viewers just vote for whoever is being grilled at the moment. Or they vote Jinho just because.

It's amusing to watch the vote swing with each revelation, although sometimes they do get fixated on the criminal and just stay there. I think the voters have a better track record than the players by now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
oh god Jiyoon stop intentionally sounding insufferably obnoxious

Thankfully she stopped that during the briefing because I don't think I could have listened to her at all. And neither could any of the other suspects, probably. On the same note, there was some really fun/silly roleplaying this episode.

I was amused by the voters immediately pilling onto Swan Ha because of her immediately revealed cover, even though that seemed strongly like a red herring from the moment that got out. And of course, they all swung right towards Beauty Park right after Jang's accusation that she was really Park's brother, Kangnam. Then again, I swung that way too.

It can't be Judge Jang because he solves everything with money and schemes. It's probably not Reporter because he's just a pervert and a tabloid reporter; he wouldn't resort to violence because he got flustered. Director Oh has motive, but not the means or the drive, as far as I could tell. Swan Ha, like I already said, feels like a red herring, and attacked indirectly instead of by direct confrontation.

Beauty Park has 2 possible motives, possible means, and all the right information to drive her. Though this was revealed after I decided on Park, Judge Jang found hormone drugs in Park's insulin bottle, which supports his sex-change theory.

On that note, I'm glad Jang Jin wasn't incompetent today and really proved himself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hani's pretty again, yaaaaay!

On the other hand... Jiyoon? Jiyoon, is that really you?

From here on out, I'm posting my thoughts as I watch.

Oh my god, that's "Faith of Javel" from Bastion... There really is no bounds on what music they'll use, is there?

So Hani chose Bestie Hong for her prelim pick. I think that's a mistake. Everything he's said, and the evidence about him, supports his personality as an obsessive but repressed lover (not sure if "repressed" is right word but whatever), so I'm trusting him when he says that he fell asleep, probably crying, before he got the chance to hang himself. e: Or I guess he did try and failed.

Even in the interrogation room, Boyfriend Jang says he thinks Bestie Hong did the b/g check on Business Park. That's ridiculous, because he has zero reason to even want to do a b/g check, let alone a reason for actually doing it. Boyfriend is also fixated on the idea that Hong's father was somehow wronged, or that Hong believed that his father was wronged. That claim is a huge jump, and idk where he's even jumping from.

It's far more likely that Boyfriend Jang did the b/g check after discovering his gf's relationship with Business Park. The empty envelopes in Jang's shelf supports that. (e: It's also possible that Singer is the one that gave her the b/g check, as part of his plan. There's no evidence to show that he slept over on the terrace.) He later points out that Business Park has a similar envelope, but why would he(she?) investigate her(him?)self? Combining all that with the cloth piece under her fingernail which matches Boyfriend Jang's blue sweater that he wore to the party, and I'm pretty convinced he's the criminal.

He definitely has the means and motive. Singer was asleep, Bestie was asleep, Business had already left, and Overseas was at a club (if that's to be believed), so no one would have seen Boyfriend head over and do it. Also, unlike back in S1 E1 where the wife was only the gatekeeper of the central hallway, Jang could see anyone that entered his gf's room. He wouldn't have just stopped watching after Business left, so either Oversees or Singer or Singer showed up and he's not telling (which he has no reason to do) or he himself is the last one to go there - to commit the crime.

An interesting implication of the b/g check reveal and the estimated timing (b/w 10:15 and 10:30) is that the person who did the b/g check is very likely not the criminal. That would reduce the likely hood that Boyfriend was the criminal, and also rules out Singer since there's really no other evidence against him. But it can only be one of them. Singer claims he isn't the b/g check person, which would make Boyfriend the b/g check person and all but clear him. That leaves me with Oversees, who would be lying about the taxi destination, or Hong who would be lying about falling asleep after the failed attempt, or at least staying asleep. Gah, this is a mess.

I think my final decision is Boyfriend Jang. So let's see who it is...

I'm doing pretty good this season :)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Alright so I loved season one and stopped season 2 a few episodes in because I hated the cast. Without too many spoilers, should I get back into he show and finish season 2 or should I simply start up on season 3? Is that cast as remotely good as the first?

Oh, the Genius. I was confused for a bit.

Yeah, the second season cast wasn't great. It doesn't help that Sangmin basically engineered his victory half way through. The third season cast is by far the best group, and a certain relation gets struck in the second half of the show that singlehandedly carried the show because it was just too good. Among other things I don't want to spoil.

Season 3 is by far the best season of The Genius.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I just finished a rewatch of all three and this is the correct opinion without a doubt.

Season one they're still feeling out the format. Season two has cast/metagame issues. Season three nails it.

I wouldn't say nails it because the season gimmick didn't do all that much in the end. That could have been thought out better.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
New episode's up!

I'm halfway through and Coorinator Park and Vocalist Si are at the top of my list right now. Vocal has the most relevant motive for both murders, but Coordi has motive and the personality to do it.

I'm gonna tentatively guess Coordi Park for now.

e: Oh god, the corruption on the second half upload is so bad it's almost unwatchable. I hope Bumdi re-uploads soon because it's really bad.

As for that immediate revelation, it looks like Idol killed President Yoon, but someone else killed Idol. Hmm...

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 11, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

You probably just have to adjust the video quality, you should be able to do so at the top right of the dailymotion player. Sometimes it sets it automatically to 240p, but you should be able to bring it up to 720p. I can't imagine watching the lowest quality version, it's really a night and day difference.

I'm 99% sure this is your issue, and I hope this helps! If it doesn't, then I don't know what to tell ya.

The video seems to be fine now so I can't show you what it looked like, but it was undeniably corruption. Really, really bad corruption.

Also my wifi drivers decided to crash and take my GTX 660 Ti with it, so I never got to finish the episode.

Speaking of which, here's my thoughts as of the final selection now that I can watch it (pre-reveal):

Vocal Si is definitely not it. He really only has motive against President Yoon, and not a very motivating one under the circumstances, and he doesn't have the temperament to do it. I think Ha is also clear because she too doesn't have the temperament since she's very much a business woman. Her relationship with Idol could mean she's more passionate than her role implies, but that only goes for Idol, not President Yoon.

Member Jang, Coordi Park, and Road Jang are all suspicious. Member Jang is the least suspicious, though, because he isn't in such a threatening situation that he'd need to resort to murder. Like he said, he doesn't have much to pay off, and with his popularity he could probably just contract with a new company. Coordi is suspicious because of her obsession with Member Jang, to the point where she fills out and sends him a marriage form. She has the motive and temperament to do it. Road Jang is also very suspicious because he has the strongest motive of all. He's literally in a kill or be killed situation. The two reason I'm hesitating is that 1) he probably would have ripped up the body document instead of the request document, and 2) Dongmin's already been the criminal twice.

But I think Dongmin's getting in my head with his deflections, so I'm going to pick Road Jang.

Also, drat you show for refusing to show us what Jiyoon found before the reveal. :argh:

e: Welp, I hosed up completely. 100% off base.

Were the clues just not that good this time, or am I just stupid?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 11, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Did you watch after the credits? They explained that.

So he just happened to draw the short straw...

Poor guy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm at the Detective's prelim choice, and I agree with him that Mate Jang is pretty suspicious. He has direct access to the emergency gun, which is missing a bullet, and hated the first mate. However, I think, because of his discipline, that he is less likely to have actually done it. My other choice is Stewardess Ha. She has a huge grudge against him, an interest in guns, and is a fan of gun assassin thrillers. As a crew member, she could have known about the emergency gun and possibly the Captain's missing gun (or perhaps a yet undiscovered third gun). Her alibi during the fireworks is very weak too.

e: oh my god Hani's scream when she found another gun:allears:

Someone please make a webm of that, I want to treasure it forever.

e2: oh my god Jinho and Jiyoon are in-game lovers :allears:

e3: oh my god Detective Jang when he realizes the poster of his fav movie was just to cover up evidence :allears:

It's official, this is the best episode of Crime Scene ever.

e4: Aight, final decision time: Captain Hong. Like Detective Jang said, we're missing crucial evidence, such as the whereabouts of the bullet casing. Stewardess Ha was very likely at first, but given that she'd already attempted poisoning less than an hour before, it's highly unlikely she would try murder by gun so soon after. Mate Jang is still suspicious, but no less suspicious than before.

Captain Hong's tarot card message put him right at the top when it was revealed. His connection with the triad means killing is very much in the realm of possibility, whether the reason is related to the triad or not. But the message itself loses importance when you realize that he did not make a move until now, and that he did not make any obvious preparations to escape. But the kicker for him is actually the gun in Jazz's bag. I think he did the deed then handed it off to her for hiding. It makes a lot of sense if you assume the act was unrelated to the triad message. Or, perhaps, this was just the excuse he needed to do it, which is still a weak excuse.

It's not solid, but I think he's the most likely.

e5: oh my god it really is another Worker Kim moment. I had completely ruled out Manager, because he couldn't possibly have had a motive. Well, as far as I could tell. But the evidence, besides the casing/poisoned wine, was all there. Argh , that's frustrating.

OH MY GOD IT'S A 2 PART CASE/

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 17, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

The next 2 episodes will be glorious

Hani fits well into the Yoonji role of not particularly great at the game but generally lovely

I'd say Hani is better at the game than Yoonji is. And plenty more adorable :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I was confused for a moment when I saw this.

Then I lost my poo poo.

Crime Scene Talk:

Jiyoon's cheesy overacting continues to be amazing :allears: I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

As for the crime itself, I'm pretty confident right off the bat that Porter is innocent. Notice how the syringe needle was bent? My guess is that porter held down the handle while carrying the bag, like the drawing shows, which means he most likely didn't notice that the needle was there and therefore it was not him that installed the syringe.

OR: Porter and Wife are in cahoots. That would explain the wife's calm demeanor. Less likely scenario because of aforementioned speculation, and because Wife could be partnered with someone else.Too early to really call anything though.

I sorta wish Yoonji and Jiyoon were together for the scene inspection.

Wife is lookin pretty suspicious now. The "recipe letters" definitely seem like code, and we already know that the Triad likes using obscure means of hiding their messages to agents. e: It seems like Wife was the one to fax the tarot message to Cap Hong, that's pretty definitive right there. e2: Oh, she reveals the Triad tat. On top of that, there's that frame that Director Jang found which seems to be used for code breaking. It most likely has to be used with the letters. The content of the messages could make or break her. It's safe to say that the captain's brother is also involved with the Triad, given the weird stuff they found in his room.

Stewardess Ha seems similarly fishy, but I don't think she's related to gangs. I think, like Mate Jang, she figured out something fishy's going on and started her own private investigation. Mate Jang has his weird complex about being the captain though, that may count against him. Still, Ha and Mate Jang seem the least likely right now. Looks like the Detective is in the same boat.

Side note: I love that Bookstore Jang is somehow involved with the crime. I hope they keep doing these silly inter-crime relationships.

Gah! If only they hadn't discovered that the first aid kit on the ship was missing a syringe, and that there was a stocked toolbox there too. Now I'm confused again. And then there's the possible relationship b/w Ha and Cap Koo that brings Ha back in as a major possibility, and the possible relationship b/w Jazz and Porter that does the same.

However the syringe used was very likely from the ship's first aid box, and my point about Porter from the beginning still stands. Whatever shifty relationships he may have had, I don't think he did it. I think the photo connecting Koo and Ha implies the truth though since the photo serves no other purpose. I don't think Wife Yoon did it because I believe that she wanted to test her fake husband before needing to kill him. I don't think Mate Jang did it either because he's not the kind of guy to try and covertly poison someone (also the nicotine would be too suspicious).

So my final decision is Stewardess Ha. That burnt knife is a solid kicker.

Aw yeah, right on the money. Poor Detective got taken in by the Curse of the Crying Criminal.

dude789 posted:

Crime Scene sure loves using The Bastion soundtrack. I was watching episode 6 and noticed them using Bynn the Breakers theme when they were voting.

They also used Path of Javel a few episodes back. It seems like they really like the Sherlock Holmes movie soundtracks too, though that's definitely more fitting.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 25, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like TITTY GOD is in there to get made fun of by everyone for comedy, not because he'll actually get anything done.

That list could do without Junseok and Jungmoon and should totally replace them with Sungyuu and Ahyoung.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

Maybe Sunggyu can be a guest in an episode and he and Dongmin can compete to see who can make Dealer Nuna blush first.

Which also reminds me: IS DEALER NUNA CONFIRMED???

Oh my god I totally forgot.

This means he (might have) another chance...

qbert posted:

I'm kind of hoping for an immediate alliance between the 3 winners, but more realistically expecting an early alliance between all the non-winners to make sure the previous winners get out early.

Also crossing my fingers for a runners-up alliance.

I'm gonna bet that Sangmin will try to lead the alliance despite being a winner himself. I can totally see him doing that.

At the very least Yoohyun will probably try to form some sort of losers alliance to get revenge on Dongmin and Hyunmin.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Look at that voter :bandwagon:. They're so predictable.

So half way through, some things are clear but others are not. The cause of death is obvious, as revealed by the briefings. What isn't clear is who's responsible. Daughter Hani and her Dad both have solid motivations, and her Dad is more familiar with and has better access to the climbing rope. The hole in Jinho's alibi is rather suspicious though. If they can find a receipt for his beer or proof his bike was ridden on, I think his claims will be validated. Massage is an enigma. Her story is pretty awkward and can be sliced through like thin paper, but what motivation would she have? I don't see a reason for her to kill her costumer.

Wow, they immediately discovered something big, right after the briefing period. Looks like Massage Park isn't as much of an enigma anymore, though she's still unlikely to be the murder. Neighbor Jang is far more suspicious now with that ring Dongmin found. They must have had more than just an argument, like the others were saying. Oh, and he's also a stalker too apparently. And he's acting super dismissive and quickly tries to divert attention to his son, Jinho. Hell, even after Jinho got his alibi validated by the guard, Neighbor asked a retarded question in an attempt to keep the blame on Jinho.

But then the guard reveals that he heard a thud between 10:15 and 10:20. Hani was leaving for the pharmacy around then, and Massage Park was still on the balcony. Could it be that Massage Park took advantage of Hani's tantrum to cut the body loose, or something like that? At the same time, it was also revealed that Hani went to the pharmacy for supplies that were already in a first aid kit in the apartment. Why leave then? (Actually, her answer about not knowing since she lives in the dorm and rarely comes there makes sense.) And with Park hiding on the terrace, how would she have dropped the body without seeing or being seen by Park?

If we assume that it was a timed delay that caused the rope to break, then in the end it comes down to who is the most suspicious. That would be Neighbor Jang. If we assume that what Park found in the shoe in the final inspection was the other end of the rope (which it was revealed to be), then Jang's incessant attempts to frame his son makes a lot of sense. Therefore, I'll go with him as my final choice.

Goddamit. I was so ready to tell the voters to suck it. My only consolation is that all the players were wrong too. I think it's because of the whole rope thing being a timed drop intended to create a fake alibi. The whole schedule in general was rather confusing to me. When was Massage Park supposed to be trapped on the roof again?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 1, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I think Massage Park is trapped on the balcony later, but this could just be them screwing up like they did with Si Manager being able to access the gun on the cruise ship whenever he wanted to. The ropes are probably cleaned up and stashed by 10:30, since Jinho goes back to his apartment as soon as he hears the body hit the ground, which is 10:20 at the latest. The ropes are really hard to miss as long as they're there. The more I think about it the more I think they just messed up the timeline in an attempt to make Hani and Massage look guilty.

I think if my hero power is getting Crime Scene criminals right you must be my villain Viggy, because you always seem to get it wrong at the last minute :negative:.

And 10:20 was also when Hani went to the pharmacy, which means Massage was chillin on the veranda then too, which means either she had passed out and somehow wasn't seen by Jinho, or the designers loving this one up real bad.

Well, I feel a lot better about getting it wrong now since either something wasn't explained right or the designers hosed it up.

Also, I don't always get it wrong. I've been about 50% this season. Though it's true that when I get it wrong it's because I chose the wrong person among a couple people.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zythrst posted:

Actually she didn't' show up until 10:25 so pretty much when the rest of the suspects were down looking at the body she came in to steal the rest of the gold and cash, having taken some of it earlier with her chloroform face mask technique.

Subyng posted:

They didn't mess anything up. ,Hani left for the pharmacy at 10:20 and Massage Park shows up afterwards. How else would she have gotten into the apartment without Hani knowing?

Oooooooooooooooh

Well, gently caress. I had that totally backwards in my head.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I was thinking about how the criminals should lie more in some cases. Like, when they found that adoption dissolution document, Jinho says he didn't know about it. Dude, if you said you did, the majority of your motive would've gone out the window? Almost feels like it would be cheating but yeah.

I don't see that as cheating. It would have been a really smart play to prevent suspicion. Not that he needed to anyway...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Superrodan posted:

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90o0ai57EM&t=43s

It makes a lot more sense than the rules posted in the video.

I finally got how the game works when they did that guest thing in s3, but I'm glad to see it laid out so clearly. It really doesn't sound that bad once you get it, but it's not really something that should be on The Genius.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

It's so far away... :negative:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

This Sunggyu kid is amazing. Playing everybody like a drat fiddle with his "i'm an idiot pop star" routine. Incredible.

Sungyu is the the best contestant The Genius will ever have and it's such a shame he's not in season 4.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Alright bitches, it's time for me to get my game-face on and redeem myself.

But first, Jiyoon trolling everyone with her notes was the best thing :allears:

Fairy Ha developed a small-scale cult of personality, supported by "predicting" disasters that she causes herself, and uses that influence to collect funds via a pyramid scheme. Now she's using that influence to support the redevelopment plans of the Bucket Family's boss. Reporter Min wanted to blow that poo poo out of the water, which gives Fairy Ha significant motive. However, I doubt she would have done the deed herself since she always pays other to pull off the crimes for her.

Pure Jang is another case of scorned love. His Hit and Run criminal record matches the crime, but for now it's only coincidence. Plus, it seems he had worked extremely hard to turn his life around. But on the flip side, the fact that he was betrayed despite that could have caused him to become violent, especially considering his stalker behavior and the fact the he confronted her about the issue about an hour before her death. It's possible he's the criminal.

Repair Hong probably didn't do it. Though his business was brought down by Reporter Min's article, it was her boyfriend (Im)Pure Jang that killed his twin brother, which Hong referred to as a piece of himself having been lost. That, combined with the fact that he was able to start up a new business, suggests he was affected much more by his brother's death than the loss of his business, and therefore his animosity would be directed towards (Im)Pure Jang, not Reporter Min. His story concerning the oil trail behind the car seems plausible too.

Chauffeur Jang is a weird case. He generally has money problems, which were solved mostly by the redevelopment recompense and the fat stack he stole from Reporter Min. It's possible that he would be resentful towards Reporter Min for trying to expose the redevelopment plan which got him $40k, but there's no way to say for sure.

Reporter Kwon Is very likely not the criminal. She may not like her colleague much, but she has the least connections to the redevelopment plan that's the meat of the case, and there's no distinct evidence to say otherwise. Maybe Jiyoon will find some dirt on her in the second half.

Part 2 begins with the classic Hani freakout. :allears:

Of course they'd find some poo poo on Kwon right after beginning the group inspection. First they discover that Kwon was in the car at some point (not quite correct, she came to the scene of the crash at 2:40 which was probably when her earring fell off), and then they discover that Min had evidence to counter Kwon's famous story about Conman Na. Perhaps the important evidence she'd uncovered was about this story and not the redevelopment scheme? That would fit with money that Chauffeur stole from Min, since that money could have been a bribe from Kwon to Min to keep quiet about the Conman Na story. However, why would Kwon kill Min right afterwards? Seems strange, and rather unlikely. She remains my least likely suspect.

And then Kwon discovers that (Im)Pure Jang took the fall for Reporter Min, who was the real criminal in the hit and run case that killed Hong's brother. This opens up a couple of possibilities: 1) Hong discovered this and grew resentful enough to kill her, or 2) (Im)Pure Jang felt scorned enough to kill her. This puts (Im)Pure Jang near the top of my list. My only issue is that since he was not the criminal in that case, it seems less likely that he would be willing to resort to that level of violence. But he's one of the two people that would have put Yoonsungho into the GPS, which greatly improves the likelyhood that he's the criminal. Top of the list he goes.

Considering what Hani overheard of the phone conversation between Kwon and Min, I'm reconsidering Kwon as the criminal. There's also the fact that Kwon is the other of the two people most likely to enter Yoonsungho into the GPS. However, I still think she's a rather unlikely suspect.

Jinho puts out a theory that Chauffeur Jang was driving her to the lake to kill her. I think this is plausible, and maybe he knocked her out before doing so, which explains the blood in the car. It also explains the bruising on her forehead, assuming that was the means of knocking her out. Jang would not have known about the brakes being cut and crashed the car. However, why is he not hurt, in that case? But the revelation that he was not supposed to be the driver adds to his potential as the criminal. I'll put him second on my list.

Fairy Ha is then implicated by the black box cam not being able to confirm her alibi, and the text from the Bucket Family along with the exuberance of her contract with them makes her much more of a suspect. As much a suspect as Jang? Not really.

Pythagoras God deducing Jinho as the criminal because of his second-place career :allears:

I feel like there was some key information missing, probably about Fairy Ha, that would break this deadlock, but looks like no one found anything in the final inspection.

I guess I'll put my money in Pure Jang

:negative:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 9, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Oh Viggy, never change :allears:. Meanwhile, my streak continues!

You know what? I think it's because I'm writing out these detailed trip reports that I'm way overthinking things and forcibly ignoring my instincts. In hindsight, the criminal seems pretty obvious given the amount of pressure he/she was under. Next episode, I'll try to figure it out first, then write my thoughts down afterwards.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I really like those write-ups, but do whatever you wanna do.

I'm gonna do a similar write-up, but I'll do it after watching up to just before the reveal.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
One of the rules that isn't implicitly stated (though sometimes mentioned) is that you always have to answer a question. You can be dismissive or try to dodge/circumvent the question to prevent leaking certain information, but they have to answer. But they can't lie.

As for searching other players, I suppose that if they coordinated more then more things could be revealed early, but maybe they're told not to do that too early by the production staff. It makes for great drama, but also makes the analysis more confusing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

A good strategy would be for them to turn around their cards if they say innocent. Really solve it quickly

Half the point of the show is that they are role-playing one of the suspects. That would defeat the point of the game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I lost my poo poo when they turned over the pillow and it was an anime body pillow. Since he's in a hunting competition, I want to imagine he's the main character from I Am A Hero.

"Even if you couldn't kill an ant, you could kill a person." :allears:

Game Time:
Right off the bat, I'm interested in Solitary Ha. It seems she's not really interested in the competition at all and is here to do something else (perhaps discover who disappeared her relative/boyfriend 15 years ago, if that's the case?). Perhaps she buried a body with that shovel? It seems she's the one who committed the first murder, 15 years ago. Perhaps she killed Lee to hide what he'd (supposedly) discovered? Amateur Jang too has a shovel and some other digging tools, plus it's his first appearance at a competition he seems unsuited to. Plus he's a criminal for hire, in a sense. But that feels like red herring material (it seems he was at the competition to win some money for his father's funerals costs. Or... treasure hunting?), so Ha is still my immediate suspect.

I'm finding it silly that everyone's suspecting Innocent Kim based purely on his otaku weirdness (at first). Then again, I am an anime nerd, and therefore biased. But would he kill someone because they conned a couple thousand bucks off him? ...Possibly? The texts on his phone suggest so, and the fact that Lee is the conman could have incited his wrath. But I think he was running away because of that very feeling, which I think fits his character. Unlikely suspect.

I think an affair between Park and Lee is plausible, and it's also plausible that violent Jang killed Lee out of jealousy. But it's possible Innocent Kim instigated the fight by sending both parties the messages to meet.

I'm going to rule out Park because dragging the body 1km then hiding it under a pile of dirt is not something she would or could do. Ha, being a former soldier, could absolutely do it, and so could the testosterone pumped Violent Jang, and possibly Kim and Amateur Jang. Well, all of that got invalidated by the fact that it was the skeleton of the previous murder from 15 years ago that was in the well.

Oh my god, Kim playing up the otaku role was amazing :allears:

I think all of the important clues about Amateur Jang have been revealed, because I'm very sure he's not the culprit. He joined the competition in order to search for treasure based on a map from his recently deceased father, and later on to kidnap Lee, not kill him.

Oh, hey, they finally found the body.

As expected, death by antler. Somewhat unexpectedly, Park'd asked Lee to kill Violent Jang so she could get away; it wasn't an affair. But I think this escalates the possibility that Jang is the killer, because it would have given Lee a reason to want to meet and fight Jang. Also, the location of the body suggests someone familiar with the lodge hid the body there, which implicates Jang more. It also validates Park's alibi since the story seems to fit. The axe in Lee's bag was probably used to cut the chain, like Dongmin suggested, which validates my suspicions of Ha (also she started trying to aggressively divert suspicion). As Dongmin also suggested, Lee had no qualms about blackmailing/tricking people for personal gain, so him confronting Ha about the body seems plausible. But then they find a velvet bag that most likely held Jang's jewel - in Lee's bag. That implies that Jang killed Lee to get the jewel back, which fits with the fact that Jang stayed an extra day despite supposedly already having the jewel. But how would he know to hide the body in that secret hole under the floorboards? And, as Kim explains, why would Jang leave the pouch behind and just take the jewel? That would incriminate him.

But the kicker is Violent Jang's revelation about the swapped bags. That detail exists to provide Lee the location of the treasure. He may have cut the chain in order to look for it. This incriminates the other Jang very thoroughly, since part of his argument is that Lee didn't know where the treasure was.

I think this was a great case today. Really well structured, and the uniqueness of it definitely helped. My vote is for Amateur Jang I have my issues with that choice, but his weak responses and Violent's revelation overshadow them.

Well, I got it right finally, but somehow it didn't feel very satisfying. I need a week where I get it right when the majority gets it wrong. Perhaps next week?

Speaking of which, I am so siked to watch everyone get wrecked by a freaking professor of crime science as the detective. I hope he'll do better than his predecessor though, poor guy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is this going to be the final season?

From what people have heard, "Grand Final" is just a name and they're still open to more seasons.

alkanphel posted:

From the episode 1 preview, I wonder what happened to Jinho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeWdhNJZJzI

This made me so irrationally happy. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Max posted:

My view on Season 2 is that there is a lot more of the social aspect in play during that season then there was with Season 1, and waaay less attempts to create interesting solutions to the games that they are presented with. Season 3 has a nice mix of both, but also suffered a little from the fallout to what happened during the shenanigans of S2.

If by "social aspect" you mean Sangmin has everyone on puppet strings then yeah that description totally works. (I really, really hate that season)

If you're trying to be funny, stop. If not, stop trying to be proud of your ignorance.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 20, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What the gently caress else do you expect us to get out of

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hahaha the swastika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

That ending!

Does that mean Jang Jin is just ruled out for the continuation? I guess only giving them an hour max makes cutting the suspect pool down to 4 a bit more fair.

Is it next week, yet?

It only makes sense that Jang Jin is not a suspect any more. But doesn't it mean that Dongmin has to be the criminal? He already admitted to strangling the PD. It would be weird if it turns out someone strangled the PD after Dongmin did but before Jang showed up to stab him.

Cue making fun of all the cast members for their fake life details. I can't wait to see the Jinho X Hani fanart. :allears: