Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow, totally glad I've been binge watching this show. Fantastic stuff, I'll never be able to watch another game show again without comparing it to this one.

Although, between this and Running Man, what is with Korean shows and absolutely loving the Bourne soundtrack? Honest curiosity here, I don't think there's an episode of The Genius where Extreme Ways isn't played at least twice.

I love that Jinho, knowing he was picking first, purposefully messed with the stacks so that no one could get any information out of them later on, since he had done that to help Hongchul during the last deathmatch.

Nexal posted:

I need to stop watching previews...

I just immediately turn off the preview as soon as the host announces the name for the game for the next week. That alone gives me something to consider on what the next game might entail. So far all of my guesses have been wrong... :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jinho figuring out that with one rule passed they could get an infinite amount of red coins was genius, but that ended up being too little too late. Jinho is looking incredibly strong this season, isn't this the first episode that he didn't win and get a token of life?

JakeP posted:

I was very glad to see that the reveal from last weeks preview was just a well played trick that spoiled nothing. That deathmatch was pretty well suited for Yohwan, that is for certain, but really I think it was a pretty lame deathmatch. It seems that if played correctly the only way to win is to use your opponents laser against them.

Deathmatch talk: So at first I was excited to see that Khet was the deathmatch game this week. Khet is a fantastic game, and like chess there are many strategies you can implement and a lot of depth to the gameplay.

However, they removed one rule of Khet that ruined this week's game for me. In Khet, the row that your laser is on cannot be occupied by an opponent's tile (The row facing to nothing at the start, not the row with the king in it. You can notice it on the regular sized gameboards before the main game that there are little eyes of Horus on a certain row, which indicate only a certain color can occupy that space. Without that rule in place, it made it so that the best strategy was to just completely block off an opponent's laser.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tonfa posted:

I was disappointed that the deathmatch ended up being enough of a foregone conclusion to not even warrant :siren: EXTREME WAYS :siren:, this must be the first episode without it. The game really needed some kind of proximity rule to forbid boxing in the laser, maybe they'll bring the game back readjusted like with Guyl-Hap. The set is too cool to be a one-off.

http://i.imgur.com/bFQcAbL.jpg In the original game, the spaces with the red eye of Horus, and the spaces with the silver ankhs can only be occupied by a piece of that color. If you so desire, you can block off one side of the opponent's laser, but it's really not worth it usually because you commit a ton of turns to blocking off one side, when your opponent can still aim down the other way! I think them not having a similar rule in place made boxing in the laser completely the best strategy, and made it come down to whoever thought of it first. I mean, they based 99% of it off of an already existing game with that being a rule, they really had no excuse for that not to be active in their minor variation.

What was the change they did with Gyul-Hap? I don't remember that one being modified at all from the first season finale.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

Does anyone know the name of that techno-ish song playing when Hongchul went completely insane with his dice at about 40 minutes?

The song is 080509 from Idiotape. You can find it on iTunes in the 11111101 album, which is all around fantastic. The theme for the show is also an Idiotape song (Melodie), and they've used all of their songs at least once I believe.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

Something like 3 billion won disappeared from a failed restaurant he owned. Season 2s first episode had a fake newspaper graphic with the phrase "A Failed Business Is Not A Scam" which made me laugh, and told me pretty much everything I needed to know about the situation.

I just caught up last week, when do the subtitles usually get finished? Is it pretty consistent week to week or do you never know when theyre going to drop?

She's pretty consistent, usually Monday morning they go up on Dailymotion and later on in the day the download goes up. I think the latest it's been so far this season was Wednesday or Thursday, and that was for the Seven Commandments game.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

Finished Season 1 on Youtube last night. That was so awesome.

I'm not sure I can watch Season 2 since it only seems to be on DailyMotion, and ads every four minutes are annoying the hell out of me. I can't even finish the first episode.

If the ads are that bad, just install Adblock. Although even without adblock on, I've never noticed that many ads in a Dailymotion video before (There are plenty on the page itself, however).

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Junghyun is deadly in death matches, out of the three still alive he's the one I'm rooting for since Hongchul and Jinho are gone. Good episode all around, nice to see Indian Hold'em actually get played out as a full game.

Nexal posted:

He should absolutely be in the next season along with Ha-ha from Running Man

Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the Running Man cast just come in as guests for one of the later episodes. Wasn't Sangmin's guest during season 1 Haha anyway?

SMP posted:

What was the song that played when they were recapping last week's deathmatch?

This would be the song you're asking about!

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

I don't think that was it :v:. It's at 4:30 into part 1, it's a more housey song.

Ah, I'm sorry, I was looking at the montage during part 2. Lick It - Kaskade & Skrillex

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has Yohwan even had a plan this season that he didn't gently caress up himself five minutes later? Both this episode and the minus auction he came up with a strategy with Junghyun/Jiwon respectively and then started undercutting both of them almost immediately afterwards.

There are so many people that deserve Yohwan's spot instead of him. Jinho, Dahye, Hongchul... Pretty much anybody but Hweejong I'd rather be in his place.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sad to see Junghyun go, I was really hoping to see him and Sangmin face off in the finals. And as much as I think Yohwan has blundered through this season, he did play that deathmatch extremely well against Junghyun.

Next week spoilers: Looks like Khet is back. Here's hoping they fixed the issue last time with it!

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Probably another 10-12 hours minimum is my guess. Usually she tweets roughly how long until the next one is up a few hours beforehand, or if it'll be late.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sangmin wins! :toot:

Little_wh0re posted:

I definitely thought that was a far better final match than last season. Fun and tense right up to the end.

Agreed 100%. This time it actually went to 3 games instead of Jinho going 2-0 so that helped it a bit. I was worried for Sangmin when that three came out, but it worked out in the end.

I was expecting a reveal of one of the season 3 participants like last season had. Has there been any word on a season 3 yet?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

survivalstrategy posted:

Is there any way we can compile the tracks that helpful people have identified during the episodes into the first post? Other than the random "Tank!" from Cowboy Bebop and one more OST track that I can't recall the name of (but was used in S1 over a couple of episodes) I had no idea about these songs and really liked hearing new stuff. Really want to track some of them down.

If you know what the episodes and scenes/timestamps are, I can dig up what the songs are for you.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What is that song with the fiddle that played during the Quattro explanation?

Joint Venture in the Village by Kapele Ze Wsi Warszawa.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Currently making my way through S1. I looked through the thread, but couldn't find what one of the pieces of "whimsical music" is, and it's been stuck in my head all day. Would somebody mind helping me out? Linked timestamp from S1E8

Here you go! Gritty Shaker by David Holmes

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, going through Season 2:

I just started the Monopolizing Game. It's actually fun to see that there are "home editions" of some of the games here, and I wonder if they were inspired by their originals at all. Hap! Gyul! is available as a card game called SET, and the Monopolizing Game is actually a ridiculously fun party game called Pit which I highly recommend you pick up. Does anybody know of any other games that were lifted / inspired?

Seven Commandments had a home version that I remember seeing a link to at some point earlier in the thread. I can't seem to find the name of it now though.

Also the death match, Laser Chess, is exactly like Khet with one rule change.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks like some of you are getting your wish!

Bumdidlyump posted:

Lim Banggeul had to pull out of Crime Scene because of her schedule. Kang Yongsuk will replace her and it'll be 1 episode per case now.

I'm curious when this is taking effect though. I'm guessing it's taking place after the next case?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So I take it Bumdidlyumptius S2 vids are going to stay down? Is there another subtitled set of videos for S2 anywhere?

She still has them on Dailymotion. http://bxrme.tumblr.com/

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, there goes my three week winning streak. Thanks a lot Hyunmoo.

At first I figured the killer was likely a guy since it was such a brutal murder. Then at some point I got swayed to being sure it was Park. But drat Hyunmoo's apparently been playing the long con here, his comments had me sure it wasn't him.

I was really surprised Park didn't pick up on it making no sense that the victim grabbed a flag as a dying message (and that no one brought that up). If his body had been in the souvenir shop, maybe, but it's unlikely he would have grabbed it before dying and then not only get moved with it still in his hand, but also have the killer not remove it or have it dropped when he was moved into the goal. Her completely missing that was probably the main reason I was suspicious of her, it just seemed so flimsy.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I've heard of Running Man and that it is good, but not what it is about. It sounds really random from what I've heard but is there a high level summary for what Running Man is?

Running Man is basically seven main cast members and a variety of guests playing games, usually culminating in the big setpiece of the episode: a nametag ripping race. Every cast member has a nametag on the back of their shirts that, if torn off, eliminates them. They change up the game constantly. Some weeks it is a straight battle between teams or a free for all, sometimes it's hide and seek, where the hiding team tries to do a mission while the other team hunts them down in the venue they're at that week. Even when they repeat an idea, they change it up in some way. It's comedy, it's action, it's goofy as hell at points, but it's pretty fun.

It's a very good show, and you might recognize a few faces from The Genius (Sangmin's guest from season 1, HaHa, is a main cast member on Running Man. A few other Genius players show up in the show as well in various episodes). If you need an episode to convince you, episode 13 is probably one of the best they've had in over 200 episodes.

Running Man thread (OP hasn't been updated for ages): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459105

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zythrst posted:

I'd have wanted literately anyone else from Crime Scene, including Henry and the Detective(actually Detective would own)

I'm with you there, I'd really rather have Ji Yoon on.

Henry would have owned too though. :colbert:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bumdidlyumptious has four different teaser videos translated on their channel now.

Dongmin
Hweejong
Junghoon
Episode 1 Preview

One thing I really hope to see in the new season is a multiple person deathmatch like was hinted during the king game last season (And then never mentioned again!)

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Another nice rule change from last season from Bumdidlyump's twitter:

quote:

Players who do anything resembling violence or theft will come in last place.

I'm not sure there was any violence, but this should help prevent anyone from pulling what Jiwon pulled.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
But how often have people forgotten their garnets? The only time I can think of was Jinho in the first episode (and we all saw how that went), and then game wise Jiwon and Yooyoung in the second season.

I think after seeing two seasons of this show contestants are going to be a lot more careful with their materials for the game, so I don't really think we're going to miss out on any cool Moby plays like Sangnim pulled with the new rule change. This just helps enforce some sportsmanlike behavior after last season.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd be very surprised if Kyunghoon undercutting his allies did not come back to bite him, especially since it sent Ahyoung to the deathmatch. Like, sure you get two garnets, but the early games have never really had things to spend garnets on. He already burned two bridges, compared to Yongseuk who decided not to betray three others who would have been joint last place.

I'm also loving Dongmin. Hongchul was good last season but he never took as active a role as Dongmin has. I'll be very disappointed if he gets eliminated early.

Asiina posted:

Holy poo poo I have never hated a song as much as I hate that song.

The song was pretty awful, I really hope they stop using it. Unfortunately it's also stuck in my head. :sigh:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

Laser chess seemed cool but also seemed deliberately broken.

The biggest problem with their version of Khet was that you could block the opponent's laser completely (as Yohwan did) and render the game unwinnable for them. The regular game has a rule where your opponent cannot place their tiles in your laser column specifically to avoid a situation like that. I don't have the slightest clue why they changed that for the deathmatch version of the game.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

Laser Chess predates Khet by about twenty years. (But it is kind of broken, which is probably why Khet was made the way it is.)

Oh, is it? I didn't realize that! I assumed they based it strictly off of Khet because they were using Khet boards for practice before the game.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kangra posted:

Yeah, the original was a computer game (I typed it in from Compute's Gazette into a C64 circa 1987), so Khet is probably the best for using actual pieces.

And I didn't mean to jump on you about it; I just saw it mentioned in the thread when the ep first aired and nobody seemed aware of its origins. They didn't screw it up, they just never fixed it. Laser Chess has the promise of being tactically interesting with all the pieces, but really you end up playing a lot of defense and not trying to make a big mistake, until you can pull off one big move that likely ends it or swings it way in one side's favor. I haven't played Khet, so I hope the changes make it better (and the Genius folks should have been aware of the problems, given that they even had Khet boards).

Oh no, you didn't jump on me about it. I'm going to have to look into that more, I'm interested in how the two games compare.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of the BTS video (unsubbed at the moment), here it is. Each card has a different number of stars that glow in the dark in the center, showing what number the card is.

Even in an improved version of this game though, how much use would this actually be? It's not like you can just walk up to each card on the stand, cover your hands over them and expect people not to notice right away and start suspecting that something is up. This seems like something that would work for exactly one round before the information was out in the open.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My favorite Sangmin moment was when he ran circles around everybody in season 2.

Sangmin still owns.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ahahha I loved the Dongmin fakeout in the deathmatch. It was so ridiculous to think that Yeonjoo would throw that that I was convinced that was Dongmin's parting. Both of them misplayed in that deathmatch heavily. There is no reason Dongmin should have won that.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of Crime Scene, was it ever renewed for a second season? I will be very disappointed if it wasn't.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe they haven't used Extreme Ways a single time this season. Show isn't the same without it IMO.

Yeonseung should be the returning player next season. Deserves it the most out of anyone eliminated this season.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crime Scene season 2 starts in March! Grabbed this from a link on Reddit, a summary of what the article says:

quote:

sorce: http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=109&aid=0002978124

this article is written in korean, but let me summerize it

1. crime scene s2 is likely to release in march

this is what CP yoon hyeon joon said.

2. in s2 3 members of s1 will remain, new 3 members will be chosen

producttion crews have been finding and asking celebrities to join CS as new members.

Jeon hyeon moo is to be main MC certainly, it is not decided yet whether park ji yoon and Hong Jin ho will get in s2 or not

3. they plan 12 episodes to be on tv and currently they made 6 stories.

I really hope Ji Yoon and Jinho return. I'd rather they return over any of the other members from last year (Excluding Hyunmoo).

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm trying to watch episode 21 right now and it's really bad. I really wanted to understand the nonsense the chinese dude was trying to explain about aliens living inside the moon. poo poo's important.

Ahahaha this is amazing. Armstrong saw an alien, the moon is hollow AND we don't know why the moon orbits the earth and not the sun.

I'm disappointed he didn't go on to mention the Nazi Moonbase.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Is there any reason why Bum stopped subbing Abnormal Summit?

Bumdidlyump posted:

I don't think I'll be able to continue with the other episodes because I've gotten a bit busy.

Only tweet on the subject. Hopefully someone else will end up subbing Crime Scene!

sharktamer posted:

But the moon does orbit the sun!

Well you better tell him that! :v:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BSam posted:

But Hyunmoo!?!? :(

He's not back this year due to scheduling conflicts with another show he hosts. :(

As good as the Jinho/Dongmin news is, I'm really bummed that Hyunmoo isn't back. He was the best.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad Junghyun is back, definitely my favorite contestant in S2

I did not expect a new Genius until like way later this year, but I'm not going to complain.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really thought Junghyun was gonna last longer than that. He was my favorite in season 2, and while I knew he wasn't going to win, I wanted him to at least make it to week 3. :(

That was a fantastic first episode though, hopefully the rest of the season follows suit because that was great. A little disappointed all of the deathmatches are repeats this year, but at least they picked mostly good ones.

Kyunghoon is going to be this season's Yohwan and fall upwards to the end isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kyunghoon :v:

Yeah deathmatch wasn't that bad, if only because Dongmin dominated the deathmatch and made it a straight shot to victory for Yeonseung. Can't really say I'm sad to see Yohwan go at all.